Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

I came up the M9 at the weekend and got a look at construction on the Kilcullen NRA MSA at km post 10 (measured from the M7).

No photos, but the site clearance (on the west side of the motorway) seems to be progressing well, and the formwork for the first of the concrete bridge pillars is in place already.

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The Lemybrien services is not just an ordinary petrol station, it is situated on a road that comes from Rosslare via Waterford to Cork and the west.<snip>
    indeed, but its not a MOTORWAY service area, nor is ran by the NRA.
    so doubly not apt for discussion here.

still, seeing as its ok to ramble on completely off topic it seems, thats a brilliant location for a station bang in the middle of the run from Rosslare to Cork city. When leaving a ferry you don't need the toliet or a coffee top up but a location like Lemybrien 1 1/2 hours from Rosslare is perfect for a quick pit stop and I can see us planning a stop there on the run to Cork at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I rather think you have missed the point, nothing is black and white, and yes one might deviate from the wording of the thread.
    However whilst Lemybrien is not motorway, it serves the western area, which is unlikely to get a motorway from Rosslare/Waterford in the foreseeable future, therefore the NRA is highly unlikely to build a services.
    What Applegreen has achieved is for the benefit of road users in that area, provided reasonable priced fuel and a choice of food.
    You must agree this is a welcome move and long overdue, probably 20 years or more.
    So perhaps you will excuse the ramblings of an experienced traveller and that emphasizing Lemybrien which apparently does not tick all of your boxes is good for Waterford and current and future travellers.
    Foxy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I rather think you have missed the point, nothing is black and white, and yes one might deviate from the wording of the thread.
    However whilst Lemybrien is not motorway, it serves the western area, which is unlikely to get a motorway from Rosslare/Waterford in the foreseeable future, therefore the NRA is highly unlikely to build a services.
    What Applegreen has achieved is for the benefit of road users in that area, provided reasonable priced fuel and a choice of food.
    You must agree this is a welcome move and long overdue, probably 20 years or more.
    So perhaps you will excuse the ramblings of an experienced traveller and that emphasizing Lemybrien which apparently does not tick all of your boxes is good for Waterford and current and future travellers.
    Foxy

In all fairness, the thread is to talk about Motorway Service Areas. Not services areas in a town or village regardless of it's location. It's only purpose is to discuss services stations on motorways only. Nowhere else. That's why you are being asked to keep to the original discussion at hand and the wording and conversation within the thread is fairly clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

rameire wrote: »
    not sure if posted before, but found this for the M9.
    other old links are defective.
    http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/eis-publications/M9-Volume-3-Drawings-Part-2.pdf

looks like there will be local access, into and from this MSA.
    If there is no objection to having local access to MSAs then they should look to utilise existing junctions which only have local access on one side. From looking at Google maps, J14 on M6, J27 on M7 and J5 on M8 would be candidates for having an MSA on one side of the dumb bell and would be a better situation than shown on the M9.
    The NRA said it planned to develop five full areas - at Clonee-Blundelstown on the M3 in Meath; at the junction of the M6/M17/M18 in Galway; between Rathcoole and Naas on the M7; near the Port of Foynes on the N21/N69; and Sixmilebridge-Ennis on the M18 in Clare.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/route-cleared-for-drivers-to-get-more-restareas-30548283.html
    How do they intend to build one at the M6/M17/M18 junction, I thought it was rejected as part of the planning for the M17/18 and they are hardly going to redevelop that junction later to include the MSA? Unless they wanted to appoint a contractor and end the procurement phase of the project and then revise the junction through negotiation with the contractor instead of scrapping the tender and going through planning again before issuing another tender.

Clonee is a terrible place for an MSA, it is too close to Dublin and there are multiple junctions in the area as well as the toll plaza so it is dangerous to add more. There is a trumpet at Navan South (junction 8) which would be ideal for an MSA to the south of the motorway as the junction is already built and the road only provides access into Navan so the MSA is unlikely to attract local traffic. The MSA planned for the MSA on the M9 linked on the previous page shows local access so this is obviously not an issue for the NRA. Existing junctions should be used where possible as there are enough junctions on our motorways already with adding more.

If the road to Foyness is to be upgraded, they should include an MSA where that road meets the M20 around Patrickswell. It would do well with traffic from the port, tourists going to Kerry as well as M20 traffic. It would be a bit too close to Limerick for Limerick traffic but it would be a good stop for traffic coming from the M18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    If there is no objection to having local access to MSAs then they should look to utilise existing junctions which only have local access on one side. From looking at Google maps, J14 on M6, J27 on M7 and J5 on M8 would be candidates for having an MSA on one side of the dumb bell and would be a better situation than shown on the M9.

I understood these local accesses (e.g. M9 MSA) would be for staff access only, and not be for general use.
    How do they intend to build one at the M6/M17/M18 junction, I thought it was rejected as part of the planning for the M17/18 and they are hardly going to redevelop that junction later to include the MSA? Unless they wanted to appoint a contractor and end the procurement phase of the project and then revise the junction through negotiation with the contractor instead of scrapping the tender and going through planning again before issuing another tender.

They will be applying again for planning permission for the MSA at this location. I'm not sure what changes will be required to satisfy ABP this time though.

/csd

csd wrote: »
    They will be applying again for planning permission for the MSA at this location. I'm not sure what changes will be required to satisfy ABP this time though.

/csd
    what were the problems with the previous design ?
    I did a quick search for diagrams of the junction/ MSA but cant find any .

EDIT: theres this diagram of the proposed junction, but no MSA on it

80393.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

just seen that Kilkenny co co crazy decision to refuse this offline motorway service station. has been appealed to an bord pleanala, hopefully they will have better decision
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243782.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Some Pics from the M9.

Pic 1 pic heading Northbound view of the left hand side of road
    Pic 2 pic heading Northbound view of the Right hand side of road
    Pic 3 View of the Supports for the new bridge
    Pic 4 close up view of the supports for the new brige

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Three more pictures for the M9 service area heading southbound,

323643.jpg
    323644.jpg
    323645.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

has anyone any info as to when they will re-open the lanes that are closed, due to the M9 service area pictured above?

the single lane is a pain in the behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

csd wrote: »
    Folks,

I came up the M9 at the weekend and got a look at construction on the Kilcullen NRA MSA at km post 10 (measured from the M7).

No photos, but the site clearance (on the west side of the motorway) seems to be progressing well, and the formwork for the first of the concrete bridge pillars is in place already.

/csd

So a bridge is being constructed? How will they manage to span it across a motorway in use?
    Is it just one rest area that's going up or 2?

STIG83 wrote: »
    So a bridge is being constructed? How will they manage to span it across a motorway in use?
    Is it just one rest area that's going up or 2?

when the supports are in place, they will bring along large concrete beams, and a large crane,
    they will then shut the m9 from jn 2 to jn 3
    and they will place the beams in place.
    It will probably be done over night.

there is only 1 service area.
    if you are heading south, you will cross over the new bridge to the service area.

rameire wrote: »
    when the supports are in place, they will bring along large concrete beams, and a large crane,
    they will then shut the m9 from jn 2 to jn 3
    and they will place the beams in place.
    It will probably be done over night.

there is only 1 service area.
    if you are heading south, you will cross over the new bridge to the service area.

What amazes me is why all this wasn't done when the motorway was under construction in the first place, or build the bridge and have it on standby and ready to use when needed.

Redd4 wrote: »
    has anyone any info as to when they will re-open the lanes that are closed, due to the M9 service area pictured above?

the single lane is a pain in the behind!

Not that much of a delay, you pass it fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 king rhus

If you are parking a HGV in M1 Lusk service station.Be careful diesel is been stolen from trucks and the load is not safe either. There is no cameras where the trucks are parked.
    SO You Have Been WARNED

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

STIG83 wrote: »
    What amazes me is why all this wasn't done when the motorway was under construction in the first place, or build the bridge and have it on standby and ready to use when needed.
    Any number of reasons, road was designed back in about 2006, they probably hadn't sorted out a site for the services then so no way to know where the bridge needed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

spacetweek wrote: »
    Any number of reasons, road was designed back in about 2006, they probably hadn't sorted out a site for the services then so no way to know where the bridge needed to be.
    Quote from
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/TRJ/2010/12/01/00005.asp
    Mr. Fred Barry:
    As regards service areas, it would certainly have been better if they had been developed with the motorways. The legislation is important, I am afraid, because we are completely constrained in what we can do. If there is not a statutory provision to the effect that we can do something, we cannot do it. Until the legislative change was made in 2007, the NRA had no authority and could not have developed service areas.

Deputy Noel Ahern took the Chair.

Deputy Simon Coveney: Did it ask the Government for the legislation?

Mr. Fred Barry: Everybody agreed in 2005 that the change should be made, but it took a while to get it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I took a quick detour off the M7 to have a peek at the Birdhill MSA on Thursday. It looks very close to opening, to my untrained eye. Anybody got the official word on when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

NRA Motorway service area policy August 2014
    http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/service-areas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Work on the MSA to the east of Athlone on the M6 seems to have started over the last couple of weeks. Didn't notice any announcement on the NRA website about it though.

In the last couple of days they've closed off one lane on each carriageway, leaving quite a narrow space for traffic (same as the pictures of similar scheme on the M9 in earlier posts).

If someone breaks down in that area, there is no space for traffic to pass, so they'll need to provide some rapid recovery service to avoid blocking the carriageway I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 M4Girl

I think the works there are just for the overbridge and slips; there is one service area accessed from both M6 carriageways. As far as I know, the MMaRC B JV is building the bridge, and the actual MSA is out to tender at the moment as Tranche 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I still can't believe how the M8 is right down at the lowest priority for an MSA. It definitely needs an MSA midway down it despite low traffic levels due to the length of the drive (in Irish terms) and compared to the other routes. I would have thought they'd at least have more of a plan for one than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

M4Girl wrote: »
    I think the works there are just for the overbridge and slips; there is one service area accessed from both M6 carriageways. As far as I know, the MMaRC B JV is building the bridge, and the actual MSA is out to tender at the moment as Tranche 2.

That explains it, thanks, Surprised the slips and bridge aren't all part of the contract for the MSA itself.

I'd think the petrol station owners around Ahtlone won't be too happy when the MSA does open, it will probably do serious damage to their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

cargo wrote: »
    Heard a bit about plans for an unofficial one just off the Ballacolla/Abbeyleix/R433 junction on the M8 just south of the split with the M7. Dont know how advanced the plan are though.

Construction at a steady pace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 M4Girl

_dof_ wrote: »
    That explains it, thanks, Surprised the slips and bridge aren't all part of the contract for the MSA itself.

I'd think the petrol station owners around Ahtlone won't be too happy when the MSA does open, it will probably do serious damage to their business.

It will mean that folk don't leave the motorway looking for fuel, food, etc. so I suppose it will have an effect. The same thing happened at Enfield but trade there seems OK; as the MSA won't be accessible to non-motorway traffic it tends to regulate itself a bit. Also, if the contracts are similar to Tranche 1 then the MSA company won't be able to ratchet the prices way up. There is some kind of maximum percentage over locally-available prices for fuel.

You might argue that the MSA will improve life in Athlone because the traffic coming off the M6 and then on again is reduced so congestion and competition for parking spaces will ease. On the other hand, I don't think the NRA permits the kind of "Services 20km ahead" type of signs you see in UK, so some drivers will come off because they don't know they are only a few km from the MSA.

Kilmartins will indeed be fine, as the local traffic will still go there.
    The MSA though is needed as Kilmartins has no facilites or parking for HGVs which is a critical part of what an MSA is there for.

And regarding the advanced signage, this seems to be on the way (now that there'll actually be stations to alert people to):
    further advance information signs may be provided as appropriate indicating the distance ahead to the next Services Area e.g. Next Service Area 70km Ahead.
    http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/service-areas/NRA-Service-Area-Policy-FinalAugust2014-(2).pdf
    page 14

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Kilmartins will indeed be fine, as the local traffic will still go there.
    The MSA though is needed as Kilmartins has no facilites or parking for HGVs which is a critical part of what an MSA is there for.

And regarding the advanced signage, this seems to be on the way (now that there'll actually be stations to alert people to):

http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/service-areas/NRA-Service-Area-Policy-FinalAugust2014-(2).pdf
    page 14

They have those on the M1 already surely?

9JzsNFG.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not with any regularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

MYOB wrote: »
    Not with any regularity.

Right but there are >some< (at least 4 that I can recall) so I'm surprised its not "legal" yet.

Advertisement