Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you buy in ireland you cant buy anywhere else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭miss deise

blue-army wrote: »
    Blaas

What about red lead to put in your blaa??? ;) yummity yummity

Red lead is that peculiar coloured circular processed meat (luncheon i think it's called).

Never saw it anywhere but here, but I might be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Intothesea wrote: »
    Whole Foods have various Irish butters and cheeses available
    (in ATX anyway), and HEB seem to be heading that way too,
    and not a moment too soon :)

Ya HEB are getting in a few products, usually the larger HEB's only. I must check out Whole foods though, thanks for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

McCambridges brown bread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Yeah you can't get all the usual stuff from home in America, but I'll tell you what they have in America you can't get back home:

ROOTBEER

Stuff is awesome. It's like mouthwash flavoured coke. I've even found a small "brewers" in Pennsylvania called A-Treat http://www.a-treat.com/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1056047186
    Get it sent to me in Cleveland, they even do kegs :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CallMeMiss

RATM wrote: »
    An Irish Passport

Irish Schoolbooks

And I'd be surprised to hear if it is possible to buy Harp or Macardles or Kaliber non alcoholic beer anywhere beyond these fair shores

Some Irish bars in NY sell Harp and Kaliber non alcoholic is one of the most popular non alcoholic drinks over there! (I worked in a bar!):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

dunnomede? wrote: »
    due to its carcenogenic qualities

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

chamlis wrote: »
    Yeah you can't get all the usual stuff from home in America, but I'll tell you what they have in America you can't get back home:

ROOTBEER

Stuff is awesome. It's like mouthwash flavoured coke. I've even found a small "brewers" in Pennsylvania called A-Treat http://www.a-treat.com/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1056047186

YAYYYYY root beer!!!! I've been missing that a lil. I'm from PA but have never heard of this A-Treat business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Macaroon bars.

I keep hearing about these and they sound delightful! Do you know of a place in Dublin which sells them?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Gonzales wrote: »
    Turf, Briquettes, proper chips from an Italian man, proper :o Chinese food, special fried rice, fiacla toothpaste, cara / maguire & patterson matches, Bosco / wanderly wagon / podge & rodge / Killinaskully DVD's

Definitely Turf is a winner, trying to explain this to people in australia was so funny as they didnt have a clue to what the hell i was on about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Cavan Cola.. :D

• Advertisement

Over Priced Houses!!!!

Not for much longer,

You'll soon be able to buy an entire (empty) housing estate in darkest Longford for a song!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What Jonathan Swift suggested to the Brit upper classes in his Modest Proposal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Cavan Cola.. :D

lol you can't even get that in Monaghan :p
    Do they still make that stuff though? used to love it when I was a kid...only soft drink I've seen that has a head...

I have none to add...someone mentioned Harp lager back up the thread; nope, saw that in a HEB in S. Texas some years back...6pk of bottles was about $13

Carrolls and Major cigarettes aren't sold outside Ireland AFAIK...I brought 200 major with me to the US and offered some round at a party one night...some round of coughing and spluttering after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

McCambridges brown bread?

Nope Harrods stock it in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

chamlis wrote: »

ROOTBEER

That ****ing stuff is piss in a tin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Real Bulmers???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You can buy Barry's Tea in Dubai Airport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Isn't steak tartar a traditional french dish made from mince beef

Yeah. You can get mince anywhere in the country though usually they don't have any prepared so you get to pick the steak you want minced.

chrussell wrote: »
    Real Bulmers???

Hmmm, correct in the sense that it's not labeled as Bulmers but it's the same stuff :)

chrussell wrote: »
    Real Bulmers???

About as Englsh as Cricket. ;)

http://www.bulmer.com/hpbulmers/company_history.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

barry's tea, i can find after a fair search, but lyon's is just not to be had.
    purple and gold yorkies, meanies, skips, taytos, red lemonade, i miss all of them.

Not exactly :)

Last century, Mr. Bulmers made cider in the UK and Mr. Magner made cider in Ireland (clonmel). At one stage that decided to work together but years later ended up splitting. When 'Irish' Bulmers went international 10 years back they named their product Magners (after the Irish owner of the original factory) because the company that own Bulmers-Ireland don't actually own the Bulmers trademark outside of Ireland :)

barry's tea, i can find after a fair search, but lyon's is just not to be had.
    purple and gold yorkies, meanies, skips, taytos, red lemonade, i miss all of them.

All to be had in Paris if even you pop around :)

Ponster wrote: »
    Not exactly :)

Last century, Mr. Bulmers made cider in the UK and Mr. Magner made cider in Ireland (clonmel). At one stage that decided to work together but years later ended up splitting. When 'Irish' Bulmers went international 10 years back they named their product Magners (after the Irish owner of the original factory) because the company that own Bulmers-Ireland don't actually own the Bulmers trademark outside of Ireland :)

Ironic..

BUt real Bulmars is English. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I havent read all 10 pages of this thread so apologies if these have been mentioned before! When living in the UK and when I travelled to the states and Oz I couldnt find these:

Batch Bread
    Rock Shandy and as mentioned red lemonade!
    Toffee Crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

branners69 wrote: »
    Rock Shandy
    Toffee Crisps

You can get them here (Oz) ... via english/irish shops though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Burn in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stag (cant remember if its cider or lager, think cider)

No white pudding here or anywhere outside Ireland from my experience. I just get funny looks if I ask !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Jacobs coconut creams, milkado's etc ,or so I'm told by my english cousins all I can say is I never saw them for sale in Finland when I lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

Not Irish pork products anyways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement