Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you buy in ireland you cant buy anywhere else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

luckat wrote: »
    Qu'est que c'est ces blaas, s'il vous plait?
    No blaas today im afraid sir, how about a buggering?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

[Jackass] wrote: »
    John Player Blue.

I don't smoke them, I just seem to remember someone telling me that once. Black in UK or something.
    John Player Blue.

John Player blue can be bought in the Canaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

expensive petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

tech2 wrote: »
    expensive petrol

The Dutch disagree ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Ann and Barry School books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

King Crisps
    Johnny Jump Up Cider

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

I think cidona can only be bought here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

[Jackass] wrote: »
    John Player Blue.

I don't smoke them, I just seem to remember someone telling me that once. Black in UK or something.

You used to be able to get Balck, Red and Blue in the UK, not sure now though. Carrolls Cigarettes are only available in Ireland I think
    RATM wrote: »
    An Irish Passport

Irish Schoolbooks

And I'd be surprised to hear if it is possible to buy Harp or Macardles or Kaliber non alcoholic beer anywhere beyond these fair shores

Mcarardles I haven't seen anywhere else, but you can get Kaliber in the UK
    expensive petrol
    mikeruurds wrote: »
    The Dutch disagree ;)

So do the Brits, petrol is Cheaper in Ireland.

did anyone mention "Bulmers Irish Cider". they only have the Bulmers trade mark in Ireland, hence it being called Magners in the rest of the world.

I have never seen white pudding outside of Ireland, although the Scots do something similar I believe.

I was thinking of opening a shop in England selling only Podge and Ridge stuff, White Pudding, Tayto and red Lemonade. I reckon I'd make a killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

RATM wrote: »

Irish Schoolbooks

You can get them in Libya, as some schools in libya do the Irish Leaving Cert course.

Who said .ie domains? WRONG! You can get a .ie domain if you live in another country but can show substantial connection to the country(invoices etc)

As for an irish passport, you can buy them on the nigerian black market for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Black pudding, coddle in a pub, the rte guide.........and a ride on the luas or dart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

What about Beamish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

A friend in the UK used to ask me to bring Club Orange, white pudding and one of the Cadbury's bars (Tiffin or Golden Crisp - can't remember) to the UK for her. I was surprised by the chocolate, but some of the Cadbury's bars are only made and sold here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Politicians.

ohhh, sorry, on second thoughts,durty politicians are worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

John Player blue can be bought in the Canaries.
    I got some on the Isle of man 21 years ago. They weren't the same though.
    I was thinking of opening a shop in England selling only Podge and Ridge stuff, White Pudding, Tayto and red Lemonade. I reckon I'd make a killing.

Cheap knock offs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

ottostreet wrote: »
    ive got a craving for red lemonade haired prostitute right now.

Fixed that for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Terry wrote: »
    Cheap knock offs?

just puppets really :o

What I'm more amazed about is what you can get in other countries. Like when I purchased Kerrygold butter in Lanzarote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

red or white lemonade.

to be fair the juice of lemons is rarely red so it is understandable that furreners dont understand.

From the list people have generated so far the only thing I agree with, besideds the Red lemonade madness, is that Cidona cant be bought outside Ireland. Yes, bulmers Irish cider cant be bought, but it is Magners so that is just a name. Taytos are available in certain shops, black pudding is certainly available everywhere, white pudding I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

did anyone mention "Bulmers Irish Cider". they only have the Bulmers trade mark in Ireland, hence it being called Magners in the rest of the world.
    Wrong. There's (still) a Bulmers company in England (H.P. Bulmer) which has been in existence for ages, much longer than the Irish equivalent, in fact (Woodpecker and Strongbow being the most well known products), but it's a totally different company to Bulmers in Ireland. It's all to do with the original owner of the Clonmel cider going into business with H.P. Bulmer, using the Bulmers trademark, and when they split up later on, they retained the use of the Bulmers trademark, but only in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Bulmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers_(Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Football Special and that Banana drink made by the same people. You can't really get them outside Donegal though.

Edit: Crap, passed post 666 without making a big deal out of it. HAIL SATAN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

asdasd wrote: »
    ...black pudding is certainly available everywhere, white pudding I've seen.
    Find me somewhere in this sunburnt country that serves b&w pudding alongside fried bread, poached eggs, irish bangers, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and a pot of scaldy.

I gots to know

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dSTAR wrote: »
    Find me somewhere in this sunburnt country that serves b&w pudding alongside fried bread, poached eggs, irish bangers, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and a pot of scaldy.

I gots to know
    you forgot the beans.
    Bachelors beans at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Frisbee wrote: »
    Daniel O'Donnell CD.

I don't think he's infected anything but our fair isle yet....
    He has, hes infected the Internet, you can download him. :mad:

http://musicmp3.ru/artist_daniel-odonnell.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Alun wrote: »
    Wrong. There's (still) a Bulmers company in England (H.P. Bulmer) which has been in existence for ages, much longer than the Irish equivalent

The name is where the similarities end. Maybe the mistake of asking for Bulmers in a Glasgow pub a couple of months ago, and its pure rotten.

I'm sure there are a few stores like this in the states, but the Butchers Block in Sunnyside, NY is the closest to your local Spar I have come across when abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

skaterdude wrote: »
    What can you buy in ireland you cant buy anywhere else?

Planning permissions, now available in brown envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

€300,000 apartments made from corrugated cardboard and sticky tape?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

expensive petrol

For all i know Ireland is one of the cheapest in (western)Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wrong. I can get Tayto whenever I want from numerous Irish bars.

Yeah, we got Tayto in Fitzpatricks in NY....was $2.50 a pack though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Guinness made in Nigeria is meant to be comparable to the irish stuff. assuming u can get someone to pour it right ldo.

Isn't Guinness in Africa fizzy or something, with no white head? Dunno why I think that, must have heard it somewhere. I think in the film "Blood Diamond" they were always drinking Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Noopti wrote: »
    Isn't Guinness in Africa fizzy or something, with no white head? Dunno why I think that, must have heard it somewhere. I think in the film "Blood Diamond" they were always drinking Guinness.
    Several African countries are big into their bottled Guinness Extra Stout stuff apparently. I've never tried it but it's supposed to be pretty different to the draught Guinness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement