Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you buy in ireland you cant buy anywhere else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

javaboy wrote: »
    Proper Guinness.

Try Nigerian Guiness! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Alun wrote: »
    Wrong. There's (still) a Bulmers company in England (H.P. Bulmer) which has been in existence for ages, much longer than the Irish equivalent, in fact (Woodpecker and Strongbow being the most well known products), but it's a totally different company to Bulmers in Ireland. It's all to do with the original owner of the Clonmel cider going into business with H.P. Bulmer, using the Bulmers trademark, and when they split up later on, they retained the use of the Bulmers trademark, but only in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Bulmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers_(Ireland)

So Cider made in Hereford is not Irish, hence my use of the word. I thought adding in the bit about trade marks made that clear.

Incidentally, one of the founding partners of the Hereford Bulmers was offered a job with the King of Siam to tutor his children. He turned this down and instead he went into business with his cousin making cider. His replacement tutor was a women who promptly fell in love with the King.

If it wasn't for Bulmers Cider, the Story "The King and I" would never have happened.

Piece of useless info for ya:)

Ballygowan water
    Deep Riverrock water

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So Cider made in Hereford is not Irish, hence my use of the word. I thought adding in the bit about trade marks made that clear.
    Yeah, sorry, didn't read the post carefully enough there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Incidentally, one of the founding partners of the Hereford Bulmers was offered a job with the King of Siam to tutor his children. He turned this down and instead he went into business with his cousin making cider. His replacement tutor was a women who promptly fell in love with the King.

If it wasn't for Bulmers Cider, the Story "The King and I" would never have happened.

Piece of useless info for ya:)

Aw great now Ive forgotten how to drive. Thanks alot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Aodan83 wrote: »
    What about Beamish?

I remember seeing a sign for Beamish Red in Amsterdam.

Also, I bought a 4-pack of Murphy's in California for $6.50, way cheaper than over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Mikados, Kimberley choc and ordinary, barrys and lyons tea, tayto, emerald sweets these are not really generally available, i sell all these abroad through my ebay shop A Taste Of Ireland .

Suprisingly one of the biggest sellers at the moment is Lincoln biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

Was in America for the summer, was able to get loads of the irish sweets including Nerds (Im old!) and jelly tots. There was a shop in the Bronx called "Tierneys"!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Didn't read the whole thread but you can't buy a packet of Johnny Onions rings anywhere else in the world but Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Superquinn sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

a 16 hour stint on a trolley for 70 euro (comes with a free dose of the mrsa bug)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

inforfun wrote: »
    For all i know Ireland is one of the cheapest in (western)Europe.

still alot more expensive than tenerife where i was about 2 weeks ago, it was 70cent a litre there when we were still over a euro here

supermacs is a good call, supervalu is another one, i was going to say dunnes stores but they have them in england (i know of one they had in manchester not sure if its still there), o'briens sandwich places have taken over scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

The Quinn's Poitín.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pallepille wrote: »
    a 16 hour stint on a trolley for 70 euro (comes with a free dose of the mrsa bug)

nhs were at that years before us :pac:
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/316/7132/645/m
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/elderly-wait-up-to-25-hours-on-trolleys-705178.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kazkiely

skaterdude wrote: »
    Murphys

I heard of someone getting a pint of it in Mexico :eek:

West Coast Cooler? Can't get it in England anyway, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shelflife wrote: »
    Mikados, Kimberley choc and ordinary, barrys and lyons tea, tayto, emerald sweets these are not really generally available, i sell all these abroad through my ebay shop A Taste Of Ireland .

Lyons and PG tips are the same thing. Unilever just use the brand name Lyons in Ireland. Unilever are the only company who have the pyramid tea bag machines.

The UK and Ireland are the only countires where tea bags as we know them are common, the rest of the world uses the ones with string attached as they never use a tea pot.

Tea bags are much cheaper to make than leaves. the tea in a tea bag is ground up leaves, shoots, branches etc(all the junk in other words), whereas tea leaves are only from the leaf, which is more expensive to produce.

More useless ****e (How's the driving going):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Well in France I recently got barred from a butcher shop for buying mince meat. It took me ages to explain what I wanted and took him several goes. Then when I did, he shouts in disgust "WHY would you want to eat your mean like that??!!! Don't come in here again!!!"

And a can of baked beans in tomatoe sauce. I triend to get my boyfriend to bring some over but they took it off him at the airport :(:(:(

The UK and Ireland are the only countries where tea bags as we know them are common, the rest of the world uses the ones with string attached as they never use a tea pot.
    Tea pots, albeit usually glass ones, are quite common in the Netherlands, and they just dangle the tea bags in the pot, and hang the string and little tab over the edge secured in place by the lid. Usually though they won't leave them in there very long and will remove them before the tea gets too strong. You won't ever see them in a restaurant / cafe setting though, only in Dutch homes. In cafes they'll just serve you a cup or glass of hot water with a tea bag.

Well in France I recently got barred from a butcher shop for buying mince meat. It took me ages to explain what I wanted and took him several goes. Then when I did, he shouts in disgust "WHY would you want to eat your mean like that??!!! Don't come in here again!!!"
    Strange. Minced beef or "bœuf haché" is pretty common over there in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

I was told red lemonade isnt available in other countries due to its carcenogenic qualities

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

a 1 bedroom flat in dolphins barn for 350k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

cornbb wrote: »
    Several African countries are big into their bottled Guinness Extra Stout stuff apparently. I've never tried it but it's supposed to be pretty different to the draught Guinness.

It's essentially like normal Guinness but way stronger ~7% and it's also a browner head.

You can get it here in loads of places Dunnes, Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Decent cup of tea! Other countries seem to look at tea drinking as something cultured and refined whereas we just hawk it back.I have a lot of trouble finding jelly in other european countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Skaterdude wrote:
    What can you buy in ireland you cant buy anywhere else? ...
    BZP and other "legal" drugs over the counter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

And a can of baked beans in tomatoe sauce. I triend to get my boyfriend to bring some over but they took it off him at the airport :(:(:(

Like Heinz beans? They're available everywhere, no?

As regards the Guinness, there's a bar here (Stockholm) that only Irish people work in, and the Guinness is good. Not as good as home, mind, but certainly decent.

There are many nights when I'd murder a pack of Tayto, which is strange because I don't really eat them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

javaboy wrote: »
    Sexytime with an original ginger prostitute
    FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Shelflife wrote: »

How do you keep the mikados from getting smushed!? :eek:
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    supermacs is a good call, supervalu is another one, i was going to say dunnes stores but they have them in england (i know of one they had in manchester not sure if its still there), o'briens sandwich places have taken over scotland

They have Dunnes in Spain aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They have supervalu in spain aswell.

Other things I saw in Spain:

An Oifig an Phoist
    Full Irish breakfast with batchelors beans
    A 700ml bottle of jameson for under a tenner
    Irish people and english people living in harmony

• Advertisement

poitin

This discussion has been closed.