Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes it's already been explained to you.

Simply stating something as fact and repeating it doesn't make it so. Unless you can provide evidence to support your assertions it remains just your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Is the route being decided/announced this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

youngrun wrote: »
    Is the route being decided/announced this week ?
    May 6 was the most recent date I read.

Yeah looks like it alright,just looked around and saw this, http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-2/bulletin-4-17042015/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes this is somewhat correct. Slight later date mentioned in todays papers - but knowing how this project is been handled to date this could be pushed out again.

http://connachttribune.ie/key-bypass-decision-put-off-for-a-fortnight-777/

"
    “We have put it back by about two weeks to allow for a more detailed analysis of the various options,” senior engineer with the local authority, Michael Timmins, said yesterday.
    The new deadline is put back to the week ending, May 7 and 8.

"

On a side note. Have no idea why the Connacht Tribune are using the "Harbour Development" image? This picture only shows a tiny portion of the proposed re route near the Westside playing fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Any further noises coming about the proposed route? Would I be right in saying that the Red route is the least likely in that it isn't a bypass at all and would tear right through a number of housing estates? Did the Vincent Browne show manage to draw out any new information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I didn't watch the whole TV3 VB programme, but I skimmed through a recording of it, and as far as I could gather there was only a brief mention of the "bypass".

Dave O'Connell, editor of the Connacht Tribune, reviewed the show with VB afterwards, and seemed to regard Cllr Catherine Connolly's brief mention of the "bypass" (in the context of transport solutions) as a side issue. In other words, the "bypass" is a local matter and not really suitable material for a programme on national TV. I was surprised, because I thought the "bypass" would be a hot topic.

I'm open to correction on that view. Maybe someone who watched the entire programme might have a different take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Topical article from the guardian, worth reading.

End of the car age: how cities are outgrowing the automobile

http://gu.com/p/47m7d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

"Route-of-planned-galway-bypass-decided"

Didn't realise a decision had been made. What do people think of the route? The Racecourse section is going to cause huge aggro never mind the rest of it

"City planners will tell up to 400 affected landowners and councillors next week that planning permission will be sought for an amended version of the so-called 'pink' route, which will include changes to junctions and road layouts and take in elements of the 'blue' route."

"The Irish Independent has learned the road will travel from the N6/M6 around the city and will include a tunnel underneath Ballybrit Racecourse. This is sure to be a source of controversy amid claims it will close the track for the duration of the works.

Most of the road will be of dual carriageway standard, including a new bridge over the River Corrib north of the existing Quincentennial Bridge, but it is proposed to reduce the road width from Knocknacarra to cater for lower traffic volumes."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, the Connacht Tribune has "exclusively revealed" the same story, eight hours after the Independent published it: http://connachttribune.ie/revealed-the-route-for-the-galway-city-bypass-401/

"and running through NUIG sportsgrounds at Dangan and on to Barna....there has been some flexibility built into its journey through NUIG lands and at Barna."
    That's going to cause problems methinks with Mr Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

snubbleste wrote: »
    "and running through NUIG sportsgrounds at Dangan and on to Barna....there has been some flexibility built into its journey through NUIG lands and at Barna."
    That's going to cause problems methinks with Mr Browne.

Many would see him as the biggest problem that place has. Hopefully he'll be gone soon and the University can rebuild its relationship with the town. Many of the spin out companies from the University favour the bypass but, as usual with him, he ignored those who didn't suit his own agenda.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Many would see him as the biggest problem that place has. Hopefully he'll be gone soon and the University can rebuild its relationship with the town. Many of the spin out companies from the University favour the bypass but, as usual with him, he ignored those who didn't suit his own agenda.

Nonsense. Your own "agenda" against the current NUI Galway president, and his reputation inside and outside the university, are irrelevant.

In any case, he has already said that he is in favour of a "bypass" but against a "through-road": http://connachttribune.ie/city-bypass-potentially-disastrous-for-nuig-201/

Your own posting record makes it clear that you really don't care whether what's proposed is called a "bypass" or not, because what you favour is a route for car commuters in Salthill, Knocknacarra, Barna and environs.

The car commuters in the university (and in local "spin out companies" I'll bet) want the same thing: a road that will let them drive door to door even just a few kilometres into or across the city to their free parking spaces and which will absolve them of any responsibility to change their commuting behaviour for the common good and the sustainable growth of the city.

NUI Galway is packed full of such car commuters. Many of them are driving ridiculously short distances from Salthill and Knocknacarra, or commuting in from their half acres in Barna and Moycullen, and their fervent wish is for more road space so that they're not held up by the thousands of other motorists doing exactly the same thing.

This is the also the university where, ahem, militant students clamped the president's car a few years ago, not to protest against war or human rights abuses or whatever, but because they felt there wasn't enough parking for their private car transport.

UHG is equally car-sick. Despite the fact that a very large proportion of staff live in the city, the vast majority of them drive. The number commuting by bus is around 2% I believe. No doubt many of them want a "bypass" for the same reason: to ease their short car commute.

The City Council says that just 2% of work commutes to the University and Hospital area are by bus and 3% by bike. I don't know what the walking figures are, but they surely must be higher. In contrast, 24% of trips by car to NUIG/UHG take less than 10 minutes and 65% less than 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Given that there is no junction proposed near the current N59 on the Blue/Pink route (it requires buidling an offline redirection of existing N59) this route actually make little sense if you were commuting to the university.

From looking at the high-def route plans it would affect the following:
    1. Astroturf
    2. Running track
    3. Football pitch behind running tract

I'd imagine in such case that the NRA would have to provide monetary compensation/replacement facilities.

Of course it would make it lot harder for the University to expand the IDA industrial estate which if I recall correctly technically sits on university owned land.

pink-blue-dangan.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Laviski

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-2/bulletin-5-02-05-2015/
    Bulletin # 5 – 02-05-2015

The emerging preferred route corridor for the road component of the N6 Galway City Transport Project will be published after all affected property owners in the corridor have been notified in the next week. The corridor as published in media currently is incorrect.

so what is accurate or will it be announced next week?

dubhthach wrote: »
    Given that there is no junction proposed near the current N59 on the Blue/Pink route (it requires buidling an offline redirection of existing N59) this route actually make little sense if you were commuting to the university.

From looking at the high-def route plans it would affect the following:
    1. Astroturf
    2. Running track
    3. Football pitch behind running tract

I'd imagine in such case that the NRA would have to provide monetary compensation/replacement facilities.

Of course it would make it lot harder for the University to expand the IDA industrial estate which if I recall correctly technically sits on university owned land.

pink-blue-dangan.png

Which would be a balls. Only hockey pitch and competition standard track in Galway !! And knock over Menlo castle while you are at it builders ! The price of progress...

Which would be a balls. Only hockey pitch and competition standard track in Galway !! And knock over Menlo castle while you are at it builders ! The price of progress...

It doesn't go anywhere near knocking Menlo castle, look at the map for the east side of the corrib ;)

Again I would imagine that any proposal on the pitches would involve replacing them first. In which case the university ends up with newer/better facilities.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Again I would imagine that any proposal on the pitches would involve replacing them first. In which case the university ends up with newer/better facilities.
    Or just keep the road elevated on piers so that there is minimal footprint on the ground. Just a permanent shadow and pollution.. Like so
    140401160748-longest-bridges-danyang-kunshan-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Do we have any idea yet on when this bypass will be built??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

Which would be a balls.

It may affect the balls :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Bit on rte about it, article seems to be written in a confident manner for something not yet announced. Insider info?

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0505/698860-galway-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Bit on rte about it, article seems to be written in a confident manner for something not yet announced. Insider info?

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0505/698860-galway-road/

More likely it's just poor reporting.

Lorna Siggins in the IT http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/galway-bypass-option-would-involve-corrib-bridge-1.2201054

mentions that Public Transport element will be part of the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

I cant believe so much money and responsibly has been put in the hands of the people who a year and a half on still haven't got the pedestrian lights working properly the former bodkin roundabout.

I cant believe so much money and responsibly has been put in the hands of the people who a year and a half on still haven't got the pedestrian lights working properly the former bodkin roundabout.

The NRA don't have responsibility for Bodkin roundabout.

Lorna Siggins in the IT http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/galway-bypass-option-would-involve-corrib-bridge-1.2201054

mentions that Public Transport element will be part of the mix.

Funny that the only aerial photo they could find was of the construction of the Causeway to Mutton Island, surely a photo of construction of M6 Galway-Ballinasloe (say somewhere around Carnmore) would have been more appropriate.

Any body know how the voting went for this at the last Council meeting?

http://connachttribune.ie/park-and-ride-plan-for-galway-schoolkids-298/
    "
    Cllr Connolly’s motion, which was seconded by Cllr Mike Crowe (FF), to call on the executive to abandon plans for a new road through the city, was defeated by 10 votes to six.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Do we have any idea yet on when this bypass will be built??

Can't be built quick enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Nothing more on this yet?

I see some talk from Sean Kyne in the Advertiser that the western section will more like the Western Distributor that the M6, i.e. single lane.
    If that's the case then what a joke. If they're going to build it like that, they'll be digging it up again 5 years later to widen it.
    Do it properly from day 1 if going to do it at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement