Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documenting Ireland's cycle lanes

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

dited wrote: »
    The new traffic lights at Charlemont St/Charlemont place were certainly operational (and being roundly ignored by cyclists and motorists alike) on my way home yesterday evening.
    I suspect a Garda will have to be positioned there for a few days to reset behaviour.

Fortunately, and unfortunately, these junctions aren't self-disciplining the way Luas junctions are.

Brendan O'Brien was the rep.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Lights on since yeasterday and official opening next week.

Luas junctions can err... fun a lot of the time. Many Luas junctions remain problematic and are not that self enforcing.

Looking forward to trying it out along its whole length. It could go either way; disappointment is my natural state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Dublin City FM talking about Grand Canal Route now. Opens on 22nd officially.

Our office is right at the start/end of the route, depending how you look at it, and we got a flier in from the council announcing the official opening date. Apparently all junctions have CCTV, new cyclist light heads (I presume they mean traffic lights specifically for cyclists) and bike detection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/media/media,7866,en.pdf

I have never used this but thought I would post it here for anyone who uses this route...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Seaswimmer wrote: »

I have never used this but thought I would post it here for anyone who uses this route...

Thanks - any idea what the MID stands for in "There is a lack of MID facilities such as dropped kerbs, tactile paving". I guess it's something to do with disability and accessibility, but I haven't come across MID as an acronym in that context before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Mobility-Impaired/Disabled.

Here's the page with maps and road layout:

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/transportation/findit/statusofmajorroadschemes/braemorroadenhancementscheme/

It looks like very large improvements from what is there now for cyclists, bus users etc.

But there seen that they know parking on the cycle tracks and grass is a problem, are they going to do anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

monument wrote: »
    Here's the page with maps and road layout:

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/transportation/findit/statusofmajorroadschemes/braemorroadenhancementscheme/

It looks like very large improvements from what is there now for cyclists, bus users etc.

But there seen that they know parking on the cycle tracks and grass is a problem, are they going to do anything about it?
    Maybe, but if I'm reading the diagrams correctly, it looks like right-turning cyclists are expected to do box-turns...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Maybe, but if I'm reading the diagrams correctly, it looks like right-turning cyclists are expected to do box-turns...
    ...or no turns at all. There are a few T-junctions where it looks like the cycle track opposite the side road is raised, which makes right turns into the side road just a little bit tricky for bikes. And for bikes turning right out of the side roads, come to think of it.

Otherwise, it looks like a considerable improvement over what's there at the moment, which is dog rough and in places unusable.

Looking again, I've realised I'm not sure what's what on those diagrams :confused:, so I probaly shouldn't have commented.

BTW the "cycleway" and "cycle track" signs seem to be mixed up.

It seems more like a choice, depending on junction.
    • Get out into the main traffic lane, and then into the filter lane
    • Use the box turns or do a box turn even where there's none marked
    • Use the toucan crossings
    • If traffic is stopped at its safe, use the half advance stop boxed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Thanks for the heads-up on this.
    To be honest, my feedback to DLRCOCO will focus on urging them to avoid the bad features of existing "cycle facilities" - loss of priority compared to parallel roads etc. - especially if there's no guarentee that the "mandatory use" law is going to be repealed in my lifetime...

The Carrickmines-Cherrywood section would be a real addition, though - I had a comment in "Dundrum to Cherrywood route" thread whining wishing whishing for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Out of all those facilities the only one needed is the off road one following the Luas tracks, all other have perfectly usable roads there anyway, just wasted money to put facilities in along existing roads.

The cycle lane at the top of Churchview Road seems to have been erased from exitence too :)

that plans also still reflects the frankly insane plan to replace the Graduate Roundabout with traffic lights :(
    And finally a planned toucan crossing in an 80kph zone on the N11? Madness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement