Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL) 24/11/08

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

We're not talking serious research here. they just needed to do a quick google online and see what competitors were carrying. newbridge carry the xmas decorations in their permanent stock. A quick question to anyone in appleby or even asking the focal group if they were aware of any christmas things that recently caught their eye would have revealed this.
    Were they not working with the designers. they had advice as to what could be made. they could have asked the designers were they aware of anything that had been done in the past.
    The first point of call in coming up with a concept is knowing what has been done before.
    Orla's absence at the focus group meeting showed she was determined to go with her idea regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

From The Herald
    Bill replied by calling Shane "a loser" and the clearly frustration boss fumed that he couldn't understand why he would sabotage his own chances.
    I know it sounds very pedantic but you'd think you could expect a newspaper to be typo-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not necessarily a typo. Maybe "frustration boss" his new title and he clearly lives up to that title.

Bill Cullen - Boss of Frustration. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Neesa wrote: »
    From The Herald
    I know it sounds very pedantic but you'd think you could expect a newspaper to be typo-free.

There was a time when I was growing up in the UK that national papers used to pay people who would ring up when they spotte da spelling mistake in the print... not sure the mechanics of it though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Cringer wrote: »
    There was a time when I was growing up in the UK that national papers used to pay people who would ring up when they spotte da spelling mistake in the print... not sure the mechanics of it though :confused:

I spotted one in my post... Who do I PM for the cheque?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Right, the Christmas decoration may have been done before but the fact that Stuart's team had the wrong colours on their album idea was a bigger gaff imo. Orla and Shane came across better too in their presentation I think. I'd say Bill picked them 'cos he would've had to let Stuart go if the other team had been picked. Last week was ridiculous, the task was way too hard. Bill just sat and criticised them yet couldn't come up with any other ideas himself. I'm disappointed Shane went. He had a really good chance of winning it. That week he stepped in and saved Stuart's skin during the presentation over the new apartment block ad task, he really did well. Brenda to win now.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Right, the Christmas decoration may have been done before but the fact that Stuart's team had the wrong colours on their album idea was a bigger gaff imo.

but it was about innovation, the fact that lots of other companies, including one of their major competitors, send these out each christmas, means it was not original and therefore not innovative, while the other team made a boo boo on the colours on the outside, the inner colours were current and it was an original idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I meant when I said it was a bigger 'gaff' that it would've been seen as such in Bill's eyes. Your one in the audience didn't look impressed at all with the mistake over the colour, I really thought they'd blown it. I suppose you're right though, the decoration as a xmas gift wasn't very original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To be fair, if any of the 2 teams had come up with an innovation solution for Applebys under such amateur and pressurised circumstances, they wouldnt need to be going on reality tv to make a name for themselves in the business world - they'd be doing it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Having been a stalwart fan up to now I have to admit that the contradictory nature of Bill's critique is starting to reduce my enjoyment of the show.
    In this episode, the brief was to provide a gift for customers. One team produced a pamphlet which was adorned with the corporate colours that the client had discarded - not a gift and not in keeping with the brand - and they won. The other team produced a gift and were slated for it not being "original" - that a competitor had done it. Is Newbridge a competitor - surely Weirs is a competitor, Newbridge is a brand. And how could they possibly know what a competitor had come up with as a christmas marketing ploy a year ago - where would they get hold of such information.
    The Shane episode was a bit odd. I don't know what he was at. Giving up like that didn't fit with his resolute efforts at flogging Garmins relentlessly in the Ilac. I started out disliking him intensely but he kind of grew on me and I do think he would have won.
    All the women annoy me so much at this stage.
    Nikki and Orla are a pair of useless lightweights. Especially Nikki.
    Brenda is so bridal-shop centred it is unreal. Gift idea from a jewellers? A photo album "just like a wedding album". If she gets the job, she'll have all the cars in Bill's garage decked out with white ribbons!! And there is NO WAY she is 32.
    God help us .... and I never would have thought I'd be typing these words ... I am now rooting for Stu :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

nevey wrote: »
    If she gets the job, she'll have all the cars in Bill's garage decked out with white ribbons!! .
    God help us ....

:D hehehe, Maybe she'll give a free bridal dress to any female customers buying a car and/or getting married
    And there is NO WAY she is 32

She's claiming to be 32 ? Eh naw hen, good luck to ye, we're not stupid.
    and I never would have thought I'd be typing these words ... I am now rooting for Stu :eek::eek::eek:

can' see him winning imo. He's too much of a chancer, I don't think the producers would want him to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

can' see him winning imo. He's too much of a chancer, I don't think the producers would want him to win.

I dunno ... he is someone who isn't and doesn't claim to be the "finished article" but shows good business sense (well, at times) even if he fluffs it in presentations due to inexperience. He could fit the "diamond in the rough" description from Nick Hewer on the BBC version and I think he used it to describe the eventual winner (reverse teradactyl guy?).

I don't see any business sense from the guy. None.He does have that "diamond in the rough" card so yer never know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Has no competitor ever sent out a brochure before? Hardly original either.

I also thought it was weird to send people an invitation just to come to the shop. For nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Brilliant marketing strategy from Appleby's, send out a gift to get customers rushing in to get spanked for €10k for a diamond you would need binoculars to see :rolleyes:

Stuart is obviously lacking in the brain cell department and you cant tell me that Bill would hire this clown in an ordinary set of circumstances so regardless of him liking him or not he will get fired make no mistake.

On a seperate note, www.entertainment.ie have an election up for various "Best of the year" songs/films, tv etc. Leading the way currently for best tv show is The Irish Apprentice! You have got to be sh1tting me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

The minute I heard Brenda was "32" I guessed she changed her age so it wouldn't work against her on the show. I reckon she is 40 or so but felt that being that old would work against her as it flyes in the face of the typical apprentice contestant. So she changed it. She could have made it a little more believeable though. Like 36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Surely they ask for a passport as proof of ID so age could not be concealed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Surely they ask for a passport as proof of ID so age could not be concealed?
    Yeah exactly. Sure a couple of tasks required them to have their passports with them to fly to either Cork or Galway.

I dunno what's wrong with people nowadays, always looking for a conspiracy.

And tbh, I wouldn't be worrying about Brenda lying about her age, no I'd be more concerned about all the other contestants lying when they said that they were all top class business people.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Anyone know who the final two are? I heard someone complaining on the radio that apparently EVERYBODY knows who the final two are... i'm not one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LEH wrote: »
    Anyone know who the final two are? I heard someone complaining on the radio that apparently EVERYBODY knows who the final two are... i'm not one of them!
    Ireland is a small place my friend and given the show finished filming 7 weeks ago it comes as no surprise that word has "got out" who the finalists are.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread and the mods requests I think it best to stay away from here if you do know who they are.Just look at all the rubbish in the papers from the people who have been canned so far looking for their 5 mins of fame.

I'm sure its OK to guess though :)

My tuppence worth -

Next week - I can see Nikki getting binned purely because shes waaaaaay out of her depth, pretty clueless at everything she has done to date and she will probably crumble in the interview if she gets a question any more difficult than "What time is it Nikki?" :o

After that I'd say Orla is gone and the final is made up of Brenda & Stuart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Why are they so stupid??? *cringe*

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Why are they so stupid??? *cringe*

The real question is , why are we still watching ? I'm not going to make any effort to watch it after this weeks episode. I wonder have they all had to sign a contract saying they wouldn't appear on telly or in print until after it's aired ? I'd rather they all organised a little expose and gave us the real story. This is bullshit , reality tv my :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Did I just miss an episode??

Thought it was on Mondays. Was tonights a repeat?

Did I just miss an episode??

Thought it was on Mondays. Was tonights a repeat?

yep and it'll be repeated tomorrow night and on channel 6 about 3 times aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why would you want to know? Especially if you're watching it, it'd just ruin it. It's like when girls buy those magazines that tell them everything that's gonna happen in the soaps fr the next month, why would you bother watching it then? It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to guess who'll be in the final two and I reckon Sizzler is fairly spot on especially the bit about Nikki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is a forbidden topic. Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

The ineptitude of Cullen knows no bounds, he criticised Orla and Shane for not attending the focus group together. You just can't win with the man, he is remedial. If they had have attended the focus group together they would have lost valuable time elsewhere, I know it, they knew it, everybody else knows it but Bill. I wouldnt ask the man for the time, you just dont know what he would come out with.

I think this bit may have been edited. I assumed he was going to go on about Orla looking at engagement rings while Shane was at the focus group but it then went off in a different firection.

Who actually chose the winner? Was it Bill or the Appleby people? At the start, it said the task was to be judged by Appleby. If it was Appleby, then I can understand why Orla/Shane lost as the woman seemed very very upset over the email address being left out.

Also, Bills idea was that one star contains a free gift or something? Would this not have brought the team over budget as they were already on an extremely tight budget?

Personally, I thought the star idea was far better than the album. Album would end up in my fire, Star would not. To me, Shane was the best contestant by far. Now, Brenda has to win as the others have not excelled at all. Although Brenda has made mistakes as well, She missed out on the design price just like Orla and in the garmin task, it was her decision not to use the 200 euro they were given at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You should ring Ray Darcy, that gob****e gave the names of the final 2 about 3-4 weeks ago without any warning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Went into the shop today to pick up a paper and the two finalists were written on the front page as an exclusive for some stupid crappy Sunday Tabloid! Im fuming :mad: I didnt want to know who was in the final!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

panda100 wrote: »
    Went into the shop today to pick up a paper and the two finalists were written on the front page as an exclusive for some stupid crappy Sunday Tabloid! Im fuming :mad: I didnt want to know who was in the final!
    Saw that...it is now going to ruin tomorrow nights interview show! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement