Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL) 24/11/08

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The task waas ok, but Shane and yer wan should've won
    That little Xmas tree thing was a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Stupid semantics? What are you talking about? Appleby people have already seen the silver star/jewelery idea, their budget was rubbish, christmas card wasn't christmas-sy, they didn't work as a team, they lost cause they were crap.

I think Bill said they did do a good job at the beginning in the boardroom? The only mistakes that he kept on brining up initally was that she left out an email address on the design. That is stupid semantics.

The Christmas card,in my opinion, was professional and classy that reflcted the appebly 'expereince'. What should they have put on it Reindeers and Snowmen?

Im not saying the decoration idea was great but the photo album was dire. Who puts a jewllerry brochure on their coffee table? At least If you get a silver decoration in the post you'd take it out,have a look and remember it. The photoalbum catalogue is something you wouldnt remember and would go straight in the bin.

Personally I couldnt work for a boss who didnt give me any productive feedback and kept on giving me conflicting messages on how to go about my work. I would have left after being set a task to sell 600 very expensive Garmin products on a Sunday afternoon.

If they have another Irish apprentice next year, I am definalty applying so I can give Bill my two cents in the board room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Missed tonight's episode, only saw the firing.
    Shane was such an idiot - did he not realise he was only the only semi-decent candidate in the competition apart from Brenda? He could have actually won it ffs!

I'll definitely watch next week though - I always love the interviews episode! They're always so horribly mean for no apparent reason, it's great! :pac:

From the interviewer's perspective:
    Brenda = Argumentative, stubborn, know-it-all
    Nicky = Weak, naive, out of her depth
    Orla = Cold, unfriendly, full of excuses
    Stuart = Just plain stupid

Although I don't think it really matters - if Cullen has ANY credibility, Brenda has to win.
    I would guess that Nicky would be fired next week because in the preview they showed, Bill said something like "You're just not able". Anyone else think the same?

The task waas ok, but Shane and yer wan should've won
    That little Xmas tree thing was a good idea

you've just proved how bad an idea it was. Theirs was a star, their competitors was a christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

When Shane was offering himself up for leaving Bill made a point to say that he wasn't firing someone on the individual taks but that he was taking everything over the weeks in perspective. Shame he didn't give Sarah the same courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eoin_s wrote: »
    Didn't one of the other blokes offer to resign near the start of the show?
    Yeah the scrapyard lad had had enough and just threw in the towel and in the process broke poor Bill's heart.

Cringer wrote: »
    When Shane was offering himself up for leaving Bill made a point to say that he wasn't firing someone on the individual taks but that he was taking everything over the weeks in perspective. Shame he didn't give Sarah the same courtesy.
    I was thinking the same thing too. If there's one thing that comes out of this year's series it's that Mr. Cullen is such a contrary fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Cullen is really grating on my last nerve right now. Contrary f*cker is right. There is no pleasing him. No matter what the contestants do, Cullen manages to pick holes. Maybe it's because they get stupid tasks and Cullen needs to find some reason to fire one of them.

It was very very obvious last night that the whole task was about firing Orla. That booklet thing that Brenda came up with was crap in comparison to a little Christmas tree decoration (the star), though I suppose it would actually suit the sychophantic Appleby family to have their mugs all done up in Christmassy print. Ego wins the day, and I suppose ya have to hand it to Brenda. She owns a Bridal shop, so she knows how to sell to an ego.

Anyway, back to the point that I think Orla was meant to go. Neither team out did each other, then Cullen picking on Orla and being really confused over the Shane thing. They wanted her gone. Good man Shane for realising that life is more than just a job.

Roll on the interviews, it's all so entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

you've just proved how bad an idea it was. Theirs was a star, their competitors was a christmas tree.

Surely the poster meant Christmas tree decoration, not a decoration of a Christmas tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

he had been evaluating things and had decided if he lost the task he wouldn't win the show, and leaving like that was a way of avoiding losing (sort of). imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Last nights show was like a one hour advert for Appleby's with SNAP printing as best supporting actor, come on FFS! The BCI have to act on this.

The "twist" as the promo's labelled it was pure hype, what exactly was the twist? Shane had realised he wasnt going to win and his Mrs. was giving him agro so he decided to cut his losses? The chap didnt even have the balls / gumption to see through what he started instead just dragged it all out for 5 mins as to why he wanted to go at which point the producer just gave Clown Cullen the nod to get it over with it and just fire the man. Hardly gripping reality television. Shane came out of that with no credibility what so ever, he set out to do something and bottled it. I mean why even start that rant if you werent willing to see it through :confused: Was he expecting Bill to say "Ah sure jaysus Shane, dont give up, you're going to win". Eh, no. He had his mind made up, so why not see it through and simply have said "this is a load of bollix Bill, I want out so you can keep your job, I'm out of here". The fact that Shane was laughing at Cullen throughout the "reasoning" of his prior statement leads me to believe a) He thought the show was a farce b) The scene was reshot or c) all of the above!

The losing team's idea was actually much better imho and had a lot more legs than some poxy photobook idea. With a little fine tuning they could have undoubtedley got their budget right to make it work, in fact the idea was that good a €2 overrun wouldnt have put Appleby's out of business now would it :rolleyes:

The ineptitude of Cullen knows no bounds, he criticised Orla and Shane for not attending the focus group together. You just can't win with the man, he is remedial. If they had have attended the focus group together they would have lost valuable time elsewhere, I know it, they knew it, everybody else knows it but Bill. I wouldnt ask the man for the time, you just dont know what he would come out with.

Next week, Nikki dissolving like microwave dinner when asked a few questions, FFS! If this show was a swimming pool she would need armbands she is that far out of her depth.

I can see Stuart being shown up for the chancer he is, Orla might be able to talk her way through it, from the clip Brenda appears to be the only one who appears to have the balls to challenge the interviewer.

Might as well just bin Nikki and Stuart now and save the pain of the extra week and let Orla and Brenda fight it out.

Seriously though folks, what have the contestants learned over the course of the show? If Cullen thinks he has learned something about a potential employee by asking them to sell fruit/garmins on the street/flog apartments in Cork then Cullen and the winner truly deserve each other!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

It's a crap job anyway. The winner will end up selling ****ty renault cars in one of Bill's garages.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I've been thinking about this today in work lads regarding Shane leaving and I think he played a very smart hand my theory is this,

Having seen Brenda running away with the show (He even mentions she hasn't been in the boardroom) he realises that the competition is as good as over. Now what would you do? Me I would at least consider Making a Martyer of myself choosing to leave and not Hang out your obviously slow PM.

In other words before on another task he makes a huge mistake or looks like a fool Bow out in the best possible light so that he looks great for future employment.

Another theory is that he realised how much of a Dick Bill really is or he got a decent job offer somewhere else but the point remains the same he still looks like this decent guy who misses his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ziedth wrote: »

Another theory is that he realised how much of a Dick Bill really is or he got a decent job offer somewhere else but the point remains the same he still looks like this decent guy who misses his family

In agreement. Either way It looks really bad for Bill that two of the candidates have effectively quitted on him. I dont think thats ever happened in the English version?

If this is the best capitalism has to offer,no wonder its f*cked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

News just in!!!!

Shane didnt quit because of his missus or that he thought he couldnt win!!

He quit because he though he COULD win! He finally realised what a dope bill is and when looking around his 'competitors' all he saw was usless incompotent idiots. So he said "fcuk this..I is gettin the fook outta here before I find myself working under jackie and bill"

Roll on the interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

paulieeye wrote: »
    News just in!!!!

Shane didnt quit because of his missus or that he thought he couldnt win!!

He quit because he though he COULD win! He finally realised what a dope bill is and when looking around his 'competitors' all he saw was usless incompotent idiots. So he said "fcuk this..I is gettin the fook outta here before I find myself working under jackie and bill"

Roll on the interviews.

Where did you hear this? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

coconut5 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? Interesting.

News of the World

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

paulieeye wrote: »
    News of the World

Takes a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 her-in-doors

Does nobody else think that the reason he left was because something happened between himself and Orla? crying....fiancee....him going from hating her to saying she was a great team leader in one day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Does nobody else think that the reason he left was because something happened between himself and Orla? crying....fiancee....him going from hating her to saying she was a great team leader in one day???

The crying was a bit strange, but I just thought it was confusion and relief about what was happening? It was weird though. Scandal!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

That's exactly what I said to my housemates...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

People dont forget, the show finished filming on the 24th september. The winner has been known for 2 months.

once again the continued slapstick comedy know as the Apprentice demonstrates why it should be screened on Comedy Central rather than pollute Irish television with its inability to demonstrate that there are REAL entrepreneurs in ireland who have better things to be doing that telling people they are fired on reality tv.

I cant blame yer man for wanting to quit. Im sure Shinawil's editing hard a part to play but yer man should have just left.

The appleby's task was utter muck. it was like giving the contestants a box of lego bricks and asking to build a house in 2 days. Then again maybe i dont have what it takes to sell boxes of apple on moore street.

Whats the story with the interview episode? Whats the purpose of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If its like the UK version, they'll each be grilled by 3 or 4 tough interviewers who will ask tough questions make things very difficult for them. They'll go to Bill and make their recommendations about who are the 2 best candidates to go through to the finale.

He will then ignore their recommendations and pick the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I wonder will any of them have a "reverse pterodactyl" moment during the interviews:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

mick_irl wrote: »
    I wonder will any of them have a "reverse pterodactyl" moment during the interviews:

I forgot how bad that looked:eek: and he made part of his CV up, but still I could see Orla doing it just to stay in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

faceman wrote: »
    I cant blame yer man for wanting to quit. Im sure Shinawil's editing hard a part to play but yer man should have just left.

Shane should have simply stood up and walked out. They couldn't have edited that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Shane should have simply stood up and walked out. They couldn't have edited that.

Would they not have strict contracts in place about that kind of stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭corkfella

shane knobbed orla and got a guilt trip so he quit to go home to his winy d4 girlfriend....

or Shane just copped what a annoying man culllen really is, how cud u face going into that man evrey morning for work.... and imagine one day seeing jackie without her makeup....scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Good premise last night. The ideas weren't as bad as I was expecting. I liked the Christmas star gift but it wasn't original and a competitor had something similar. The photo album could work but it would need something more to accompany it.

Bit of a shocker from Shane and to be honest I don't think he did himself any favors. Totally incoherent in trying to explain his reasons for leaving and it looks like there was something else going on. Together with his court case, it does not bode well for the lad. He would have been better off seeing the show through to the final and be a gracious loser if he didn't win.

Orla would have definitely have been fired though if he didn't quit. She's not portraying herself well at all, having a cut at Shane any chance she got. You can just see any future employer questioning how much would she get on the nerves of others.

Anyways its between Brenda and Stuart now, Brenda has to be the favorite but I reckon Stuart could be a a bit of a dark horse yet.

Don't know why so many people are giving out about the product placement, I don't really give a crap about it and if I was on those teams going into Snap all the time, I'ld make damn sure I'ld get extra discounts like Stuart did last night. Also comes down to no license fee funding, unlike RTE shows TV3 and the apprentice is taking SFA of our money to produce this and I have to give them credit for that......otherwise lets all switch over to the J1 show!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I would have thought that the contestants are told explicitly that they have to follow the script, do the interview in the taxi and all that stuff and that upping and leaving is not allowed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement