Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Mom was saying there are lots of American tourists around. Anyone noticed this? Bit worrying and doubt they are self isolating for 14 days..

I would tell you mum not to worry about it. Tonnes of Irish heading to Spain and the UK and none of them isolating on their return. So no real difference there.

Keep up the hand washing, keep the social distancing and good cough etiquette etc and follow the HSE guidelines to protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

My Mom was saying there are lots of American tourists around. Anyone noticed this? Bit worrying and doubt they are self isolating for 14 days..

There are some Americans/Europeans around, but I have noticed that they have Irish Credit Cards.........
    Maybe employees of Tech Companies based in Cork or Dublin, but a large increase in UK reg cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Good day Killarney folk

Not heading abroad this year so I'm thinking of doing maybe 3 or 4 days solo down in Killarney next month instead. It's 25 years since I've been in Kerry so a visit is long overdue. I suppose what I'm asking is, given the current state of affairs with restrictions etc, is it worth my while?

I'm looking at basing myself in Killarney town if I can get reasonably priced accommodation there. I won't be driving so was thinking of hiring a bike for one of the days to cycle around the national park. I'd particularly like to see the white tailed eagles if there's any good places to spot them. I'm also keen on doing a day tour around the ring of Kerry if any of the tour companies are operating in the present climate.

For evenings I'd be just looking to have dinner and a few pints, nothing too mad.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Good day Killarney folk

Not heading abroad this year so I'm thinking of doing maybe 3 or 4 days solo down in Killarney next month instead. It's 25 years since I've been in Kerry so a visit is long overdue. I suppose what I'm asking is, given the current state of affairs with restrictions etc, is it worth my while?

I'm looking at basing myself in Killarney town if I can get reasonably priced accommodation there. I won't be driving so was thinking of hiring a bike for one of the days to cycle around the national park. I'd particularly like to see the white tailed eagles if there's any good places to spot them. I'm also keen on doing a day tour around the ring of Kerry if any of the tour companies are operating in the present climate.

For evenings I'd be just looking to have dinner and a few pints, nothing too mad.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Restaurants are open and it would be worth it if just for the beautiful National Park alone. So yes, I'd recommend it, and it is much less crowded which makes it more enjoyable. Bike rentals are available also. Come and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Listrydude wrote: »
    So what's the story with all the new bollards going up around the town. New areas for outdoor seating? Seems to be outside food establishments in most cases bar Portwest.

Any idea what the story with all these are they seem to be all over the place now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Conchurl wrote: »
    Any idea what the story with all these are they seem to be all over the place now

They're for outdoor seating areas.

A fantastic idea and will hopefully mean the end of on street parking and less cars in the town centre in general

They're for outdoor seating areas.

A fantastic idea and will hopefully mean the end of on street parking and less cars in the town centre in general

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's so that people can socially distance with regard to the foot paths.

Unfortunately a serious amount of folk seem to think because the restaurants and bars are open, everything is grand and there's no need to social distance any more.

Given the amount of cars around the place from outside the county in the last week, I think Killarney is in a very vulnerable position should there be further outbreaks [which is pretty much guaranteed looking at other countries]

From what I've seen around town there hasn't been an influx of overseas travellers yet but I'm very wary once the numbers start ramping up (especially from the US) which I can see happening in the next few weeks. As someone said to me - it's not the most vigilant and most careful who will be travelling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I was in Dingle today and to say I was shocked is an understatement. quite a few US and UK accents, Couples and Families, no social distancing or regard for others
    The que for murphys ice cream was a disgrace, people on top of each other and some large groups by the funghi statue, yes the foot path is narrow but someone has to be held responsible
    It was mentioned to me that some people are flying into Belfast, hiring cars there and going on a tour of Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

newman10 wrote: »
    I was in Dingle today and to say I was shocked is an understatement. quite a few US and UK accents, Couples and Families, no social distancing or regard for others
    The que for murphys ice cream was a disgrace, people on top of each other and some large groups by the funghi statue, yes the foot path is narrow but someone has to be held responsible
    It was mentioned to me that some people are flying into Belfast, hiring cars there and going on a tour of Ireland :eek:

yes, I heard the same thing. Also lots of people talking about bus loads of Americans in Killarney, though I haven't seen any busses as such. Seemingly coming in via Belfast alright. Today the town was absolute mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Town for me, was a nightmare during the weekend. The traffic was miles long on every street leading into town. The new bollards on the street are a nuisance, there's already a lack of car spaces, stupid idea to get rid of these.... And what feels like everyone coming here for holidays... It's making a huge back log.

Where are all the delivery vans/trucks even meant to park up ?

It doesn't do feck all for social distancing. People are still walking on paths, in shops etc...many within 2m of each other.

Silly idea. And again with the amount of people holidaying here, on holiday mode... How do we even know how responsible they are being? An English reg car pulled out in front of me Saturday, at slow speed, I hooted and was given the 2 fingers. I know locals would do the same, but with this COVID ****e going on it got me thinking these kinda of asreholes are cruzing around here for themselves with a good potential of messing things up for us here....

Imo it's wayyy too early to be encouraging people to holiday down here.

LilacNails wrote: »
    Town for me, was a nightmare during the weekend. The traffic was miles long on every street leading into town. The new bollards on the street are a nuisance, there's already a lack of car spaces, stupid idea to get rid of these.... And what feels like everyone coming here for holidays... It's making a huge back log.

Where are all the delivery vans/trucks even meant to park up .

I think less cars being in town is a good thing. I'd like to see on street parking completely done away with and pedestrianise Plunkett street and main street. There's always a fantastic atmosphere around town when that happens. And there are plenty of car parks within easy walking distance of everything.

Delivery trucks generally dont hang around too long so having them pull up and off load shouldnt be an issue.

I'll be home for my holidays for the first week of August and I cant bloody wait to visit town again.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I think less cars being in town is a good thing. I'd like to see on street parking completely done away with and pedestrianise Plunkett street and main street. There's always a fantastic atmosphere around town when that happens. And there are plenty of car parks within easy walking distance of everything.

Delivery trucks generally dont hang around too long so having them pull up and off load shouldnt be an issue.

I'll be home for my holidays for the first week of August and I cant bloody wait to visit town again.

You can see in Tralee since they pedestrianised the main square businesses are crying out on how much it's effected their business. It might look better and be nice to walk around in, but not in a small town. It clearly does not work.

There's not enough car parks. That's being an issue for a few years now. Again traffic, closing off Main St....where would the traffic flow go then?

Delivery trucks might not be parked up for long but they will now with so many bollards up, they'll end up fighting each other for space! Plus it'll add more time due to them having to walk over and back further distance.

As someone that needs a car to get to town, it's fairly annoying.

You can see in Tralee since they pedestrianised the main square businesses are crying out on how much it's effected their business. It might look better and be nice to walk around in, but not in a small town. It clearly does not work.

There's not enough car parks. That's being an issue for a few years now. Again traffic, closing off Main St....where would the traffic flow go then?

Delivery trucks might not be parked up for long but they will now with so many bollards up, they'll end up fighting each other for space! Plus it'll add more time due to them having to walk over and back further distance.

As someone that needs a car to get to town, it's fairly annoying.

I also needed a car when I lived at home. I still always thought closed streets were better. Have them open during the day for deliveries as you said, close them in the evenings.

With regards to parking, come on. There are a world of options. Just off the top of my head within easy walking distance of main street you have: Glebe, fairhill, Outlet Centre, Lewis Rd, Scott's underground, Beech Rd/Tesco, Cathedral which is free, top of High St. That's 8 car parks, plus on street between the cinema and the Great Southern, in a small town. And probably some more I cant think of.

No point comparing to the Tralee Sq imo. I think it's a poorly laid out town as it is and Killarney doesnt have anything similar to that. It's fairly simply laid out.

I also needed a car when I lived at home. I still always thought closed streets were better. Have them open during the day for deliveries as you said, close them in the evenings.

With regards to parking, come on. There are a world of options. Just off the top of my head within easy walking distance of main street you have: Glebe, fairhill, Outlet Centre, Lewis Rd, Scott's underground, Beech Rd/Tesco, Cathedral which is free, top of High St. That's 8 car parks, plus on street between the cinema and the Great Southern, in a small town. And probably some more I cant think of.

No point comparing to the Tralee Sq imo. I think it's a poorly laid out town as it is and Killarney doesnt have anything similar to that. It's fairly simply laid out.

I'm not comparing towns, I'm comparing when a town has bollards along the street, than without them. Listowel is another town unhappy with them.

8 car parks is still not enough, why? Because the size of them. 8 might sound like a lot but there not that big for the amount of traffic that comes into town. Plus people who work in town already fill a chunk of them. Many a time I've had to go from 1 car park to another to get a space.

You surely know Killarney is one of the busiest places in Ireland for tourism, def top 5 if not top 3.

It would be a shame to close off the town in the evening, why keep that atmosphere to the pedestrian? It can lovely to drive through the street in the evening seeing the buzz for some people it's just a drive around.

Go onto the Killarney Today page on FB, there's uproar over the bollards, as there was on Radio Kerry this morning.

The bollards seem to work on Beech road, no cars double parking and the street seems wider for it. Traffic nuts in town the past few days. Not sure about the bollards up College street or high street, looks too random, the locations of the bollards. Not a fan yet anyhow.

Great news about Plunkett street pedastrianisation. Its tight enough as it is to walk down.

https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1280451222441525248?s=19

I'm not comparing towns, I'm comparing when a town has bollards along the street, than without them. Listowel is another town unhappy with them.

8 car parks is still not enough, why? Because the size of them. 8 might sound like a lot but there not that big for the amount of traffic that comes into town. Plus people who work in town already fill a chunk of them. Many a time I've had to go from 1 car park to another to get a space.

You surely know Killarney is one of the busiest places in Ireland for tourism, def top 5 if not top 3.

It would be a shame to close off the town in the evening, why keep that atmosphere to the pedestrian? It can lovely to drive through the street in the evening seeing the buzz for some people it's just a drive around.

Go onto the Killarney Today page on FB, there's uproar over the bollards, as there was on Radio Kerry this morning.

I think we will have to leave this one and agree to disagree. You have your opinion, I have mine. Cant see either of us changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

It's pretty difficult to get parking in Killarney in peak times throughout most of the year. Whole of the summer and Xmas being prime examples which is exacerbated further when Birds and the Ice Skating come to town and take whole sections of them out of action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

If they brought forward that motion for the multi story car park for the glebe that would go a long way to solving the parking issues I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭phater phagan

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cluster-of-covid-19-infections-at-kerry-house-party-investigated-1.4302486

Something to be aware of. Thoughtless people endangering the health of others here.
    The infection rates are rising- this time among people in their 40's and under, with a high percent who are under 25.
    I think the prevailing attitude is that young people only experience mild symptoms. That may be the case in the majority; however, as more is being learned about the Covid 19 virus, more than a few are experiencing life-changing affects. Heart, liver and lung diseases are being attributed to the novel coronavirus, and even deaths, by those who are not in the perceived vulnerable age group.
    It is imperative to keep following the medical advisors' guidance and stay safe.

They'd be more in their right mind to keep out the Brits and Americans, place has been crawling with them the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Too many out there with the "I'm alright Jack" attitude

It's like as if the narrowed the streets, taken away car spaces, to fit more people on the footpaths.

lots of revellers dancing around a busker opposite donut shop on Plunket Street last Friday night! Party on, Bill! Seems to be the attitude

Listrydude wrote: »
    lots of revellers dancing around a busker opposite donut shop on Plunket Street last Friday night! Party on, Bill! Seems to be the attitude

As I said to the missus when she got a bit nervous about people crowding around her in a shop. Let idiots be idiots, do your own thing, stand back, take your time and let them at it.

We will be in Kerry for a week, first week of August. I've no intention of getting too close to people and we have activities and restaurants booked which will hopefully have the correct measures in place. I wont be complaining about people who are out and about though because the general population are generally absolute gobshítes

Keep your distance, wash hands regularly, if you feel in an uncomfortable spot, get out.

As I said to the missus when she got a bit nervous about people crowding around her in a shop. Let idiots be idiots, do your own thing, stand back, take your time and let them at it.

We will be in Kerry for a week, first week of August. I've no intention of getting too close to people and we have activities and restaurants booked which will hopefully have the correct measures in place. I wont be complaining about people who are out and about though because the general population are generally absolute gobshítes

Keep your distance, wash hands regularly, if you feel in an uncomfortable spot, get out.

That's the most sensible approach, without a doubt. Enjoy your week here! Fingers crossed for sunshine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Has anybody any recommendations for broadband out the Park Road? Looking at two options possibly; Vodafone part fibre and Pure part fibre. Both ISPs reckon they’ll get up to 100mb but if anybody had first hand experience on either that’d be great. It’ll be for some relatives living there. Eir are also offering a similar broadband package but I’m steering clear recommending them due to their horrendous customer service.

Just looking for something reliable and without issue. Cheers

• Advertisement

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Has anybody any recommendations for broadband out the Park Road? Looking at two options possibly; Vodafone part fibre and Pure part fibre. Both ISPs reckon they’ll get up to 100mb but if anybody had first hand experience on either that’d be great. It’ll be for some relatives living there. Eir are also offering a similar broadband package but I’m steering clear recommending them due to their horrendous customer service.

Just looking for something reliable and without issue. Cheers

Have used both Eir and Vodafone, both were good in all fairness. Eir's customer service is beyond rubbish. Do you have any idea have far you are from the nearest exchange, the closer the better for solid speeds.

Advertisement