Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Souriau wrote: »
    I been looking on Sony website and I failed to see this on the specification
    all I see it stated clearly is MPEG2

The Irish Sony website has incorrect information as its a copy of the UK site and doesnt seem to think it worthwhile to point out MPEG4 compliance (even when there for majority of tvs). If you look at the same TVs on the Sony France site you will see the correct spec.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

STB wrote: »
    MHEG5 can be offered in a firmware update. Would they offer it though ? As there are licence issues surely ?

Enginneers/Sevice Menu on Sony's

Before doing this - what are you hoping to achieve ????

It can be dangerous if you change anything.......

Having said that.......

Put it in standby mode (LED shows red)

Then input combination on your remote: [i+] (info button in upper left corner), 5 (channel button), Volume Up, Power On (green button in upper right corner). The TV should start and there should be a service menu on the screen.

What can I do with it when it comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MHEG5 can be offered in a firmware update. Would they offer it though ? As there are licence issues surely ?
    [/I]

The Sony V4500 is already MHEG-5 compliant for UK freeview, it's just not activated under the Ireland setting. If I reinstall using the UK setting I get (MHEG-5) Digital Aertel but I lose the ability to scan the VHF band for RTÉ1 & 2 from Mullaghanish and the digital channels are placed in the 800's.

As its already MHEG-5, licence issues would not be a problem, to make it available a software update may be required or an adjustment in the service menu to make it available under the Ireland setting.

I suggest you check the specs in the relevant manual on this Sony website http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.aspx?l=en&c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

sony2010sheet-1l.jpg

sony2010sheet-2l.jpg

This is the 2010 range and it probably wont be on the Irish site for a bit yet probably. All tvs have at least MPEG4-T compatibility. Be aware though, that some 2009 tvs may continue to be sold in 2010 and may not have mpeg4 compatibility, be aware that the S5500 range of 2009 Sony's do not have a mpeg4 tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Enginneers/Sevice Menu on Sony's

Put it in standby mode (LED shows red
    Then input combination on your remote: [i+] (info button in upper left corner), 5 (channel button), Volume Up, Power On (green button in upper right corner). The TV should start and there should be a service menu on the screen.

Tried that.. No joy.. Using a z4500

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

pa990 wrote: »

I tried it on a KDL40S3000. I got a set of green numbers and letters on a grid. I do not know what they mean or how they can be changed. I just turned it off and back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

slegs wrote: »
    The Irish Sony website has incorrect information as its a copy of the UK site and doesnt seem to think it worthwhile to point out MPEG4 compliance (even when there for majority of tvs). If you look at the same TVs on the Sony France site you will see the correct spec.

I mean in the Sony Product website where they show the model and then click on the specification, it does not say anything about MPEG4, how would the consumer would know this when it is not shown on the main page without doing research even deeper into the website or going to another website completely, it should been at the front page for most of the comsumer who are interest in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well that was for a v4500 and some of the Wega range, not the Z range. And why were you trying it anyway ????? You know you can brick your TV going into engineers menus if you dont know what you are doing that! YOU WILL NOT repeat NOT be able to switch MHEG5 on from there.

The reason its a licence issue is because its licensed down to country as in the DBook UK - MHEG5 is a requirement. Ireland its turned off. A firmware upgrade could fix this, but unless you are good at HEX, forget it.

Cush you started this! :)

I only asked, you posted :D

Haven't dared to try it myself, regedit and bull in a china shop comes to mind.

The Cush wrote: »
    I only asked, you posted :D

Haven't dared to try it myself, regedit and bull in a china shop comes to mind.

Bios upgrade and Windows come to mind for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

HauppuageWintv-HVR 900HD works with Windows 7 Media Center, picked up stations with small aerial supplied in Naas Town.

Very neat little USB stick with good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Well that was for a v4500 and some of the Wega range, not the Z range. And why were you trying it anyway ????? You know you can brick your TV going into engineers menus if you dont know what you are doing that! YOU WILL NOT repeat NOT be able to switch MHEG5 on from there.

The reason its a licence issue is because its licensed down to country as in the DBook UK - MHEG5 is a requirement. Ireland its turned off. A firmware upgrade could fix this, but unless you are good at HEX, forget it.

cos i'm like a bold child.. tell me not to do something and i will :p

so.. tell me.. whats the key combination for the z4500 ?

just curious is all

cos i'm like a bold child.. tell me not to do something and i will :p

so.. tell me.. whats the key combination for the z4500 ?

just curious is all

Curiousity could kill your TV. :)

Cush asked a question and 2 people that posted tried it on different model sony's! Thats enough for me!

pa the answer is out there. Google will know probably. Do you just want to see what the menu looks like ? There is little in there that you can tweak and lots that can turn it into just an LCD with no tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I have a LG LF7700 MPEG4 LCD and the digital subtitles does work on Freeview and Freesat mode.
    On DTV tuner mode, which is Freeview and RTE DTT, I get subtitles on UK Freeview channels but when I select RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 it does not show any digital subtitles even thou it is transmitting sustitles
    but on my Humax LCD digital the digital subtitles works on 4 channels, RTE1, RTE2, TV3 & TG4 on the digital tuner mode. it is not AERTEL 888 subtitles but digital subtitles.
    Any idea as to why LG is not showing digial subtitles on RTE DTT?

Some Smaller LCDs from 19 to 26" that have MPEG4 DVB-T capabilities.

LG19LH2000
    LG22LH2000
    LG22M62D
    LG26LG3050
    LG 22LG3100
    LG 19LG3100
    LG 26LG3100
    LG M2262D-PC
    LG M227WDP-PZ

Philips 22hfl3331d/10
    Philips 22HFL4371D/10
    Philips 221T1SB
    Philips 19PFL5404H
    PHILIPS 22PFL5614H
    PHILIPS 3000 19 or 22 or 26PFL3404H
    PHILIPS 5000 19 or 22 or 26PFL5604H

Samsung LA22B450C4D
    Samsung LA26B450C4D
    Samsung LE19B450
    Samsung LE19B541
    Samsung LE22B350
    Samsung LE22B650
    Samsung P2270HD
    Samsung SM2033HD
    Samsung SM2333HD
    SAMSUNG Black Gloss LE-26B350
    SAMSUNG White Gloss LE-19B541

Sharp Lc19Sh7E

Sony - KDL19S5720E
    Sony KDL26EX302AEP

TOSHIBA Regza 26AV625DG/19AV625D
    THOMSON 19HR3234

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Hi has anyone got a sony kdl-40w3000 working with ddt, in galway? thanks

chris1970 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone got a sony kdl-40w3000 working with DTT, in galway? thanks

sony kdl-40w3000 is mpeg4 and should be working for you. Maghera is likely your transmitter on CH 48. Look at threads below, "Galway" seems to be the local expert. I would imagine getting your aerial right is the first obstacle.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63016894

http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055531252&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Thanks Guys, anyone recommend somewhere to get an aerial for ddt in galway city, plus instructions on set up to nearest transmitter, from location in galway city, thanks again in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, I am looking to buy a new 19 to 26" LCD tv. But i want to buy 1 that will be compatible when RTÉ launch there new service. I am sorry if this has been advised already.

Basically looking for a tv that i will be able tune in the new frequencies, that i can hang on the wall, and that is HD Ready. Hope this is the right forum.

Cheers for that 20/20

Must re-read my posts before i post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

I dont think anyone has asked that yet quote {i dont want to buy 1 that will be compatible when RTÉ launch there new service}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

The models listed on top of page are suitable and include 19/26" models.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to buy a new 19 to 26" LCD tv. But i want to buy 1 that will be compatible when RTÉ launch there new service. I am sorry if this has been advised already.

Basically looking for a tv that i will be able tune in the new frequencies, that i can hang on the wall, and that is HD Ready. Hope this is the right forum.

Cheers for that 20/20

Must re-read my posts before i post them.
    Try post#616 above..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64569524&postcount=616

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

peking97 wrote: »

And it doesnt matter what country i buy thos models in. They will always work in Ireland?

Deedsie wrote: »
    And it doesnt matter what country i buy thos models in. They will always work in Ireland?

Make sure you have the exact Model No (down to the letter!). Check when you are buying it in the spec.

Some Smaller LCDs from 19 to 26" that have MPEG4 DVB-T capabilities.

LG19LH2000
    LG22LH2000
    LG22M62D
    LG26LG3050
    LG 22LG3100
    LG 19LG3100
    LG 26LG3100
    LG M2262D-PC
    LG M227WDP-PZ

Philips 22hfl3331d/10
    Philips 22HFL4371D/10
    Philips 221T1SB
    Philips 19PFL5404H
    PHILIPS 22PFL5614H
    PHILIPS 3000 19 or 22 or 26PFL3404H
    PHILIPS 5000 19 or 22 or 26PFL5604H

Samsung LA22B450C4D
    Samsung LA26B450C4D
    Samsung LE19B450
    Samsung LE19B541
    Samsung LE22B350
    Samsung LE22B650
    Samsung P2270HD
    Samsung SM2033HD
    Samsung SM2333HD
    SAMSUNG Black Gloss LE-26B350
    SAMSUNG White Gloss LE-19B541

Sharp Lc19Sh7E

Sony - KDL19S5720E
    Sony KDL26EX302AEP

TOSHIBA Regza 26AV625DG/19AV625D
    THOMSON 19HR3234

Add to that list

Sony KDL-26V4500
    Samsung LE22B470 (TV/DVD Combi) great small room / bedroom set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rockey1

stay away from Samsung there really bad sony is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

You cant generalise it like that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

The Samsung P2270HD, P2370HD & P2770HD are classified as Monitors and have a 3 year warranty because of it. I got a P2370HD this week and it is lovely unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Bought the Samsung P2270HD as a Christmas present for my nephew in Currys in Newry for £220stg and its an excellent set, MPEG4, full HD, fantastic picture on all channels especially freesat HD.
    Also the graphics are amazing on the Playstation3.
    I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Are there any Panasonic 19-22" tv's to be had yet.

Advertisement