Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Hi,
    I purchased this LG M2794D-PZ LCD TV and I tried tuning it, however I can only get audio and no video. After looking up the tech specs it seems the tuner type is DVB-T. See here and here
    Do you know if I should be able to recieve the Irish digital broadcasts? Also in the TV menu, there is a setting for 'country' but Ireland is not listed, most other European counties are. Not sure if this makes a difference though. If I can't, can you recommnend a seperate digital tuner?

Many thanks,
    W.

WEST wrote: »
    Hi,
    I purchased this LG M2794D-PZ LCD TV and I tried tuning it, however I can only get audio and no video. After looking up the tech specs it seems the tuner type is DVB-T. See
    here and here
    Do you know if I should be able to recieve the Irish digital broadcasts? If I can't, can you recommnend a seperate digital tuner?
    Many thanks,
    W.

While the TV does have a DVB-T tuner, the video decoder is only MPEG-2 capable. You need a receiver capable of decoding MPEG-4 in order to receive the Irish broadcasts.

Karsini wrote: »
    While the TV does have a DVB-T tuner, the video decoder is only MPEG-2 capable. You need a receiver capable of decoding MPEG-4 in order to receive the Irish broadcasts.

Thanks for the info Karsini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

This is a simple rule of thumb with Pixamnia.

If it says next to the photo. "TNT" it is only mpeg2 UK freeview compatible.

If is says "TNT HD" it is mpeg4 compatible and will receive Irish DTT

I might just get the Sagem IDT81-SD discussed here . Its for the bedroom so something cheap is all I require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

ei9go wrote: »
    This is a simple rule of thumb with Pixamnia.

If it says next to the photo. "TNT" it is only mpeg2 UK freeview compatible.

If is says "TNT HD" it is mpeg4 compatible and will receive Irish DTT

Here is a better rule of thumb: If it mentions Pixmania at all then run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Can you give reasons for that advice...I bought my TX-PF37X10 from Pixmania.ie and have no negative experiences to report?
    (BTW it receives the Irish DTT fine just no MHEG-5 text but ordinary text works fine so not a problem for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Iam also very happy with pixmania.They saved me about 100 on a 600 euro sony with mpeg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

I can also report only positive and pleasant experiences over several purchases with Pixmania (touch wood).

Fast delivery, good prices although not always the most competitive and the one time I did have a problem with a Samsung monitor, it was replaced fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

dermiestv wrote: »
    I can also report only positive and pleasant experiences over several purchases with Pixmania (touch wood).

Fast delivery, good prices although not always the most competitive and the one time I did have a problem with a Samsung monitor, it was replaced fast.

You're either one of the very few or you just got lucky :p

They have without doubt the worst Customer Service Dept I have ever had the misfortune to encounter :mad:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

I had a Canon LBP3300 I bought from Pixmania with an extended warranty a couple of years back got great use from it until it starting acting up recently so I contacted Pixmania they said I can have a replacement or a refund so I decided to to add a few quid to the refund and get a nice all singing all dancing Canon Pixma MP990.
    They collected the LBP3300 and my new printer arrived 3 days later opened it up set it up turned it on and............ERROR.
    Oh joy I says to myself I got a dud or the DHL guy was using the box as a trampoline!
    I rang Canon just to be sure it was an error that could only be fixed by them they said send it back to the reseller so I rang Pimania (some nice French bird in gay paris answered) I told her the story, next day a DHL van arrived took away the printer 2 days after that I got an email saying the printer was faulty (Gee thanks I told you that already) and a replacement was on its way by DHL 3 days later my new printer arrived set it up turned it on and............bingo it's perfect.
    I bought a 5 yr extended warranty so if it goes pear shaped again I can either have a replacement or my money back.

I've bought a few things from them in the past and haven't had any trouble with aftersales.

Is Pixmania the Argos of internet shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Good to hear that JOKER another happy pixmania customer,maybe MunsterCycling with his high post count will in future explain the reasons for his comments,not just stupid little one line remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

Is the Toshiba Regza 32av505 mpeg4 compatible?

I cant find info anywhere. I tuned it in today and only got the EPG (full live detail though) and some radio.

I'm in County Limerick but not quite sure what transmitter I'm on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

jaredGalen wrote: »

I cant find info anywhere. I tuned it in today and only got the EPG (full live detail though) and some radio.

Almost certainly not tbh, it looks like a 2008 model , judging by a quick google search. I'm pretty sure a 2009 model, 32AV665 doesnt have a mpeg4 tuner so your one probably wouldnt either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well if the full model name is 32AV505DG then its Mpeg2.

Are you getting sound on the TV channels with the EPG but no picture ? If so its defintely mpeg2.

:( Nuts to that.

I have 32av505DB but I guess the B just means its black. :(
    I don't have any sound though, just the epg.

That guy in the shop screwed me over after I had asked if it was compatibile with the Irish DTT. (12 months ago at this stage).

Thanks for the response.

As an aside. Can the CI slot be used for adding a tuner or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jammygit

You can insert a converter CAM to receive MPEG4 test transmissions from RTE. Neotion NP4 is the model. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Peter Henderson

jammygit wrote: »
    You can insert a converter CAM to receive MPEG4 test transmissions from RTE. Neotion NP4 is the model. .

I assume you mean one of these:

http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/products.php?p=155201

How does it operate ? I have a Philips LCD TV with a CAM slot. I assume if I buy one of these and insert it into the slot it'll receive the broadcasts OK ?

On certain IDTVs that are MPEG2 the tuner CAN be enabled to display the MPEG disgital broadcastss through what is called transcoding. The models of MPEG2 TV are lsited in the sticky called : Neotion MPEG4 Cams - IDTV Ready List (NP4)

jammygit wrote: »

I assume you mean one of these:

http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/products.php?p=155201

How does it operate ? I have a Philips LCD TV with a CAM slot. I assume if I buy one of these and insert it into the slot it'll receive the broadcasts OK ?

Wait! hold on a sec. Be aware these "np4" cams dont work with all TV's - ONLY the models listed in the sticky in the thread below are known to work!

Otherwise you could be wating your money. Slegs may let you buy one on a test basis if it is not listed, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

STB is correct I had one of these and tried it in 3 different tvs and would not work ,contacted neotion and they said tough luck.

Okay so I need to find out somehow if my Regza is compabtible.

Should I try emailing Neotion or do will they even know?
    Any suggestions? Pretty much a noob at this lark.

Thanks for all the great info everyone by the way. Didn't even spot that sticky

John Dough wrote: »
    STB is correct I had one of these and tried it in 3 different tvs and would not work ,contacted neotion and they said tough luck.

Agreed - and I'll clarify my previous comment by stating that I have tried the Neotion CAM with several sets to find that it will work with some but not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

After months or looking at this thread without comment I am now bewildered by the spec changes etc.

I have been tasked with choosing a tv for a friend - she wants a 28" - she's upgrading from a 20". She has no strong brand preference but has always had Sony’s in the past.

Now obviously she wants to be as future proofed as possible in terms Irish digital tv as well as her existing cable connection – she’s in Cork city.

Being cognisant that the future of digital ain’t set in stone, can someone personally recommend one that fulfils the criteria of a 28” LCD with MPG4 tuner preferred.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

evilivor wrote: »
    After months or looking at this thread without comment I am now bewildered by the spec changes etc.

I have been tasked with choosing a tv for a friend - she wants a 28" - she's upgrading from a 20". She has no strong brand preference but has always had Sony’s in the past.

Now obviously she wants to be as future proofed as possible in terms Irish digital tv as well as her existing cable connection – she’s in Cork city.

Being cognisant that the future of digital ain’t set in stone, can someone personally recommend one that fulfils the criteria of a 28” LCD with MPG4 tuner preferred.

Thanks in advance

In terms of Sony they dont make 28inch LCDs. They have some 26inch TVs but dont think many are MPEG4.

Of newer sony models in 32inch, the 32v5500 and 32W5500 would both be MPEG4 TVs. Generally all new Sony models are MPEG4 in the E,V,W,Z,X ranges. The lower priced S range tends not to be MPEG4.

In the older 4000 range still on sale only the W4000, X4000 and Z4000 are MPEG4 the V4000 isnt..

Dont know about their LED TVs but I presume these are all MPEG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

slegs wrote: »
    In terms of Sony they dont make 28inch LCDs. They have some 26inch TVs but dont think many are MPEG4.

Of newer sony models in 32inch, the 32v5500 and 32W5500 would both be MPEG4 TVs. Generally all new Sony models are MPEG4 in the E,V,W,Z,X ranges. The lower priced S range tends not to be MPEG4.

In the older 4000 range still on sale only the W4000, X4000 and Z4000 are MPEG4 the V4000 isnt..

Dont know about their LED TVs but I presume these are all MPEG4.

Thanks Slegs, a 26" Sony would be ideal but even on Sony.ie they just refer to Freeview and MPG2 specced tellys.

I know a bit a bit about about the subject and I'm bewildered, imagine what the average citizen feels?

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately until there is an announcement of Onevision's plans (if any) you can't buy a fully future proofed TV set. The Irish FTA specification is agreed, so it is probable that a set you buy with an MPEG4 tuner will work with the planned FTA services from RTE/TG4/TV3 if it can receive the test broadcasts. The trouble is, as has already happened, changes in the data carried within the test broadcasts can generate unpredictable results in receivers.

Offering you a direct opinion, either buy an MPEG-4 set now (it will be OK with Cork cable TV) and take a bet on it working with FTA;

. . or wait until Onevision announce their specification and launch plans, keeping in mind that the Onevision offering may require use of their own proprietary STB (in which case any TV would need their STB to work with Pay-TV services).

Okay so I need to find out somehow if my Regza is compabtible.

Should I try emailing Neotion or do will they even know?
    Any suggestions? Pretty much a noob at this lark.

Thanks for all the great info everyone by the way. Didn't even spot that sticky

The Regza are probably not compatiable as Toshiba were not involved in the development of the product which is a third party fix. The reason that they may/may not work is down to how your mnufacturer interpreted the DVBCI standard (some didnt) so the CI may be open or not.

You do not have to contact Neotion - there is a list of IDTVs that it does work with. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384875

SAORTV were at one stage allowing some people to buy it on a return basis if it didnt work, but I dont know if that is still the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thanks Slegs, a 26" Sony would be ideal but even on Sony.ie they just refer to Freeview and MPG2 specced tellys.

I know a bit a bit about about the subject and I'm bewildered, imagine what the average citizen feels?

On their French website, Sony show the 32W5500 and 32V5500 etc. are MPEG4. The UK do not use MPEG4 so Sony UK do not bother with it, and our site is a copy of the UK one.

• Advertisement

Yes thats right.

Here is a fairly future proof LCD.

LG 32LF7700.

Freesat
    DVB-T (MPEG4 via common processor)
    MHEG5
    UHF & VHF analogue tuners

From STG£400.

Try Richer Sounds

Advertisement