Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaeologist offer

Options
  • 13-11-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I'm offering archaeologist free to 20 boards members/letsbet contributors who are interested.
    Cost of fees is 60 euro per month (judging on my last invoice recieved yesterday and I think this is what I pay monthly) . Remains in training with Paul Gilligan. I am NOT taking a slice of the fees, actual cost. - just to make that clear.

Interested? Pm me to register interest and post "interested" on here..

please no "too hasty" posts.. decision is made.

It could be great craic...

This is for genuine horse racing fans and contributors to the forum.. any subsequent sale is an equal split between syndicate members.
    It also hinges on my friend not taking him for hunting.. as i did offer to him first he has first call.. his takeup is unlikely i feel, though i am reserving a place in the syndicate for him if he wishes.

name of syndicate 5 votes

Boards dot eye ee
    0% 0 votes
    rynners and ryders
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

i'll get ball rolling, as already stated i'm in for the craic, and thank you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Once you have your numbers Rynners be sure to draw up a set of rules for the syndicate covering, payments, opting out etc.... Just to avoid any hassle.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭rynners

Not sure.. sorry for not knowing
    I think it's 1200 pcm all in..
    I get a bill for 1200 and never one for a vet.. didn't even get one for horse transport to cork other week.. i did have to pay bill in may for knee op.
    i'll have to confirm everything though.. of course.
    i never really followed the costs with gilligan.. just popped over to the house and wrote a cheque..

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Against my better judgement, can you count me in please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 carjim

Didn't get to talk to that man about stableing the horse today, will see him in the morn and let you know. If it doesn't work out I'll take a leg of him toooooo.

done and done.
    guys I'm having trouble logging into this forum - keeps saying "database error" so if u can pm me.. i can get into that no problems. That's 5 including myself and carjim. Need 20 to really get the cost down.. unless we fail to achieve that and people are willing to fork out a little more.. but i think 60 euro a month should be affordable and be the target. I'll also ask gilligan today about his fees.. perhaps I can get him to shave off some and maybe he'll take a stake himself.. after all i think i might be buying another just broken in horse off him..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Did he run in any point to points or just the two starts on the track.

just the 2... you can read all about him on 3mile novice chase anyone? thread.

Ok..
    went out to see him in gilligan's this morning.. jeez he's lame badly. (i'm no expert) vet will see him today and we'll see what he says. It's unlikely he'll run again this season..there's no way he gave his true running at fairyhouse on that evidence. We thought he'd win and the disappointment on gilligan's face after the race was palpable. He's much better than he's shown so far..

implications for any syndicate formed:
    I've made the offer to form a syndicate and I'll stick to my word (in the event of Jim not taking him to navan). Training fees will only come into effect when he restarts training.. i'll cover it until then.
    The only percievable problem.. he gets treated, starts training and gets injured again on heavy work or in racing.. either way i can't see the syndicate being stuck for more than a couple of months training fees..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Spoke to my man this morn, he says he has enough lame horses in the yard lol, na only joking, but he has no room for another hunter at the mo and got the impression he wasn't really interested in taking on a thoroughbred anyway, so it looks like syndication!
    Think Steven you have just been very unlucky with this fellow. Went to see him run at Fairyhouse and was seriously impressed with the make up of the horse, he is a fine stamp of a horse at almost 17hh and he looked like there is a racehorse inside of him waiting to get out. He has had some awfull problems in his time and I think his day can still come.
    Any idea what is making him lame, surely Gilligan should have some idea! Is he lame in front or behind and is their any swelling or heat in the leg? If not, then the problem is most likely, a shoulder or back injury(hope not). Hopefully it might be just a twist with no tendon injury and a short spell should sort that out. Any way keep us informed and keep smiling and hope the kids are in better form!!:)

PS. I'm still in for a leg of him, preferably one of the good ones if possible:pac:

wont know how long hell be off for until vet says....post later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

This is the sort of hair-brained scheme that I excell in impulsively jumping at.

Sent you a PM Rynners. This could be a laugh, give us a day out in Fairyhouse or something?

welcome aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

best of luck with your new venture,i'd love to get involved but i'm already in two syndicates

The numbers are starting to increase slowly but surely.
    The list so far..
    Dotsflan, meriweather, corban, myself, punchestown, carjim, AW and maybe ziggy.

That's 7 and 1 possible..target is 20.

It'll get there in time.. (as will the horse).

Given that the horse will be off for a while we don't need the target until he makes it back into training and given that this thread could get buried hiding it from an interested party I wonder if this can be made a sticky? Is that the right thing to do? how do I go about it?

ok.. just had an idea.. i think it's a good one. Feedback welcomed.

The target remains 20 so the cost is low, but the golden number is say 10 without my counting in that.. should the number fail to reach 20 but go somewhere 10 or above I'll pick up the other shares so that the cost per individual share is 1/20th of fees..

I haven't spoken to Paul yet on when he thinks he'll be back or his confirming of fees.. (i want to see if I can get him down a little on fees as he knows I'm on the very brink of finishing with the horse) added to that I can't find my mobile phone.. :mad:
    EDIT: (I only pick up the other shares on the day he goes back into training.. so that the full make up of 20 is given the best possible chance to happen).

Can I just give some indication as to cost/how expensive this could be on people.. don't be frightened!

Ok the basic cost will be the basic cost. An initial 800 euro will have to be lodged with the HRI to cover entries/jockeys.
    Apart from all that the social aspects of being part of a group of 20 can be demanding..
    Go to the races, buy a round of 20 pints, all go out for a meal, maybe a pub.. wives, girlfriends, strip clubs (filly spotting), accomodation?, transport etc etc you get the idea..
    Just so everyone gets to go in with their eyes wide open and no one can ever say "you should have mentioned there'd be fun involved".. 20 people plus wives/girlfriends do not get together and don't enjoy a social time..
    It's not just the horse.. it's the whole lot..

• Advertisement

it is truely generous of you rynners, and it should be great craic....

to the mods: please make this a sticky to give us the best chance of getting the numbers.....

come on people.... its not often you'll get a chance/offer like this... to stand at the parade ring and watch a horse you own a part of prepare to run is something special... especially when it wont break the bank....

even if the trainer tells you its a tough race and your horse doesnt have much of a chance...you still cheer your horse home...hoping... after all we've all seen 33/1 shots have their day...

a few scoops...meet new people...pick up a few tips from parade ring....rub shoulders with someone who knows jp mcmamus..:D

Thanks to Hobart for making this a sticky.
    His heart is in the right place.

Excellent news:

It turns out that the horse's injury isn't as bad as thought. Spoke with Paul this morning and he has an infection of the fetlock joint. As it only showed up the other night after racing the vet reckons that he carried the infection into the race and that it was aggravated by the racing..

It means 4 things...
    1. The syndicate will be born quicker than anticipated, so if any parties want to rethink it is fine to pull out/stay in. I'll be in contact soon.
    2. The horse will need 10 days to treat this injury and be back at work soon after.
    3. The horse wouldn't have given his true running of the race the other day and I'll eat my hat if he's a 66 rating!
    4. ANYONE CONDSIDERING JOINING SHOULD MAKE UP THEIR MINDS SOON!!

Update:
    Spoke with trainer this evening. Fees are 1200 pcm all in (in other words transport to races included, to racecourse gallop etc. Vet's bill is extra if there's one (there will be for me of course this month).
    I decided not to hassle him on the fees as it is a good deal. Meade cost me a hell of a lot more.
    He was informed that the horse will most likely be syndicated and his reaction was - Jeez don't do that yet as you have to take it that we don't know how good he is..in other words you have to disregard the two races he's taken part in. I think anyone following my 3 mile thread and this one would agree.
    However, I made the offer of syndication and my word still stands. I only bluff in poker.

Here's the lowdown and without trying to sound like a dictator there's something to say as there's to be a hard and fast rule to be made from the start. I've bought this horse to have ability, he cost big money and big money went into him. He's been offered free to a syndicate and in the light of things it's a steal. So in return, I need to make the following rule and it'll probably be the only rule.
    If you're late for any payment (ie monthly) you have 3 weeks to pay up or you lose your share. You have 1 go at this and you lose your share on the second go. (in other words if it happens for a second time you'll lose your share). In fairness if this is to work and if there's 20 shareholders then no feckin around can be allowed. I don't want headaches chasing 60 squid.

There's 1 other thing.. and I'm not sure about it, perhaps someone can advise if it makes sense or is nonsensical. I don't think an owner is allowed lay his horse to lose, if that's the case then this horse can't be layed to lose by any of the syndicate as I don't want ****e coming to me by actions of others. Perhaps someone can set me straight on this?
    thanks
    Rynners

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

rynners wrote: »

There's 1 other thing.. and I'm not sure about it, perhaps someone can advise if it makes sense or is nonsensical. I don't think an owner is allowed lay his horse to lose, if that's the case then this horse can't be layed to lose by any of the syndicate as I don't want ****e coming to me by actions of others. Perhaps someone can set me straight on this?
    thanks
    Rynners

I would say its safe to assume that an owner cannot lay their horse to lose via the exchanges. I dont think people are signing up with that in mind.

In relation to being allocated a handicap mark, would it not make sense to have a couple more exploratory runs (so to say) in order to obtain a mark that gives an opportunity to exploit? Could be in the horses interests aswell to have a couple of runs without a rushed preperation with low expectation to see where to go from there.

Also, what would the syndicate name be? Some boards reference or would you keep him running in your name?

err.. just thought of couple of other things.

Insurance. I have him insured and will continue to have but I collect. If you want it any other way I'm open to suggestions. I think it costs just short of 1500p.a. (on memory) to insure for 26,000 (price I paid for him).

Also a syndicate name.. suggestions welcome.

800 euro has to be lodged with the hri for entries/decs jockeys fees etc etc.
    this is an initial cost and may have to be topped up from time to time. I'm not really sure how often or if prize money is put into this etc but will try and give as much info as possible.

Just in case there is any doubt prize money is divided in proportion to shareholding less tip to stable lad/jock etc... If anyone wants to go for more than 1 share then that'll be considered (don't want anyone taking over the bulk on what is a community gesture).

I would say its safe to assume that an owner cannot lay their horse to lose via the exchanges. I dont think people are signing up with that in mind.

In relation to being allocated a handicap mark, would it not make sense to have a couple more exploratory runs (so to say) in order to obtain a mark that gives an opportunity to exploit? Could be in the horses interests aswell to have a couple of runs without a rushed preperation with low expectation to see where to go from there.

Also, what would the syndicate name be? Some boards reference or would you keep him running in your name?

I've said in the 3 mile post that I want him running at a high level. Since the ownership will change it makes it only fair that I don't plot his future and that the trainer finds his appropriate level. If he makes it up there then all the better.

It's better to change the name.. after all it's a group of people looking for the experience of ownership.. all suggestions welcome..

this horse may never do anything but i have to admit i'm getting excited... dunno what you want to call the syndicate but i think you should decide rynners.... maybe a boards reference would be good?

corban wrote: »
    this horse may never do anything but i have to admit i'm getting excited... dunno what you want to call the syndicate but i think you should decide rynners.... maybe a boards reference would be good?

No no no.. I'm not deciding.. it'll be by general consensus. Boards ref is good.. but can you think of a good one? imagine winning at cheltenham and being introduced as the boardsters or something awful? Nah.. if it's good it's good to go.. (a boards reference should be as good as anything else we can come up with).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

I think this sounds good for a little deposit , my mate might be interested too as he's trying to get me and my mate in on a horse last few months. We simply couldn't get the numbers , anyway i'm in if ya want. I'll let ya know what he think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement