Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flogball

Yes I see Seamus on the road a lot always has a lot of wise words to say lol! He was a handy Footballer on his day but stayed in the box too long hatching lol!
    John Fagan was a hard case on the pitch and Tim Kavanagh was a good grafter too!
    We had a few real hard men that used play with us like Larry Smyth and his brother Anthony, Patrick Byrne(Bully), Dave McKay,John O'Neill.
    When u tackled them you were in for a crunch lol!
    But al in all there were very few fights on the pitch and some great games were had!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5299357197_9b30e522b0.jpg
    Greystones long ago by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Eugene Corrigan, Frank Fitzpatrick, Eddie Kelly, Gally Fitzpatrick nee Walby, Michael Walby,
    Paddy Frawley

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Who are they John ?

Huntthe wrote: »
    Who are they John ?

names added above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flogball

Great to see this old pic of great golfers around the 1960s! Two from this photo are Professional Golfers. They are Paddy Frawley and Mick Walby. Had the pleasure of many a game of golf with Mick Walby and also funny too that I also played many a game with Paddy Frawley's Son Joe Frawley who also happens to be a Professional Golfer!
    So Many great players came out of the Greystones and Delgany area over the long years and many went on to become great Professionals!
    You would wonder how it was that this was the case considering that neither Greystones or Delgany golf courses would be rated as great championship courses??? Anyone out there have any views on this??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

flogball wrote: »
    So Many great players came out of the Greystones and Delgany area over the long years and many went on to become great Professionals!
    You would wonder how it was that this was the case considering that neither Greystones or Delgany golf courses would be rated as great championship courses??? Anyone out there have any views on this??????[/QUOTE]

they're are certain criteria a course has to meet to be considered a champ course,
    i'm not sure but i'd guess either the courses aren't long enough or possibly a course may have to be a par 72 to be considered champ,i know Greystones would be short of that for sure and i'd guess Delgany the same

fwiw i don't rate Delgany much but i think Greystones is a lovely track,just a bit short(i may mean tight)for my booming drives;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Jaysus, the place is looking well.

Who did it up?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Jaysus, the place is looking well.

Who did it up?

But its gone downhill again since Nov. 16th. 2008 when pic was taken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    But its gone downhill again since Nov. 16th. 2008 when pic was taken :D

Yeah could be in very different nick now I fear. The walls inside the hotel were already covered in slime due to the damp. Really appears only a matter of time before the place collapses on itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Remember Bitz before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

Found this on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/achesonblog/collections/

Go to "Ireland", and check out "Ireland before the day" > "Old Greystones" for 1950s and 1960s photos.

Also in "Ireland" check out "Ireland back in the day" and "Ireand since the day". Some interesting 1980s shots...

Apologies if somebody already posted this link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blabber mouth

Anyone for a vote .... on who was the No 1 teacher for slap a roo's in
    CBS here my list , god them were the days .

1 . Brother Flaherty AKA Square head, his best moves were the Knuckles over the head, the ear lift
    was great too ha., lift and pull . The broom to beat you down the corridor and up the steps to his office for the baiting .. So a nice man . Probably dead but should be in Jail .

2. Mrs Donnelly CBS (from Donegal) third class teacher she get top marks too , she was a devil for the face slaps with the ring on her fingers full force in the face, definitely give her an A + should could have been in the Nazi party with that B- - - ch slap .
    Went above her call off duty and beyond the dull old ruler and leather routine that the other gave . I suppose I must been a naught little eight year old boy
    to get full force in the face from this fine strapping lass, I am sorry Mrs Donnelly I know I deserved it and all the other children did too . Oh by the way was that legal to hit eight your old children across the face. ??
    you might get your day in court yet . No warning like a bolt from the blue
    and the tears would come rolling of the face of whoever she hit . Should be in Jail .

3. Brother Fox with all his locks,more a straight up style hand out gave you a five second warning and then cam e the crash from the leather which was housed in side the flannel pants. Bordering on Jail time

4. Master Nevin (Mr. Farrah Pants) - King of the spock but was minor offender in comparison . at least probabation .

5. Master Barry - a decent enough old devil bar the snots on the cellotape but sure he could help than . (Get out off jail free card)

6. Miss Sweeney - was like playing tiddly winks in comparison to the others. Nice lady.

Luckily I arrived before little Brother Murphy left (AKA ) SPUD he was moved on for breaking one students nose, can mention here name but first initial was
    of first name S and was four year or so ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

Blabber Mouth, sounds like you had a rough time in CBS. I was there from 1977 to 1982 (2nd class: Mrs. Donnelly, 3rd: Mrs. Cotter, 4th Mr. Cahill (I ran into him once since, and he was emigrating to Australia, I think... could be wrong), 5th Master Barry, 6th Br. Horgan.

Cannot say a bad word about any of them. I remember messing a few times and getting the odd wallop but did me no harm (I think!) and I probably deserved it. Perhaps not all kids had the same experience of course. I got sent down to Br. Fox's office a few times (possibly Br. Flaherty - hard to remember) for more serious messing. The thing that I was scared stiff about was my parents getting informed. Never too worried about a few stings of the leather strap.

I remember a replacement teacher - possibly a Mr. McEvoy? - who had no control. Used to threaten us with a cane and then bring it down with speed towards our hands but slow up at the last second so that it was no more than a tickle.

Seriously, the legislation had to change and it did. It was open to abuse of course but in MY case, no harm done and no bad memories from CBS. That generation of teachers had to manage the change from discipline by force to discipline by lines/extra homework/note to parents etc. I don't remember seeing a really bad beating. I think boys might have cried but it was more the put-down than any real pain. Perhaps, looking back on it, pulling a child by the ear was a bit dangerous (possibility of permanent damage obviously...)

I'd love to sit down and have a chat about those days with any of my former teachers at the CBS.

Put them in prison??: I'd give them a medal for tolerating us! Not trying to shove my opinion down your neck of course if you seriously feel you were hurt by them.

If anybody has any photos of those days - I'd love to see them. Anyone have any old class/sports day/school tour/ photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blabber mouth

Hey Greystoned G'man , no i did not get it too bad , just a few ear lugs and knuckle wraps on the head from the Head brother "O flaherty" AKA square head and a few full force slaps in the face from Mrs. Donnelly as things went i got very easy compared to some of the lads who seemed to get all the time . Usually it happened with her asking to recite EG 4 x's table etc , I remember Robert M from Bray starting off with 4 x 1 , 4 x 2 etc then she stopped him and said "Robert what is 4 x 9 ?" so Robert had to start from the start to get the answer , then she moved in and started to smack him on the face full force calling him a parrot , parrot , parrot .This was the Mrs. Donnelly's third class that I attended . No big deal but just for the record she get zero points from me for smacking children in the face like that good teacher or not.

Corporal punishment was legal but as far as I know the state had fairly strict guidelines as to what was a correct way to hit a kid , such as the teacher could not raise the hand over the shoulder ( that's probably how the leather became popular in our time as it was flexible and could be rolled back under the chin for full effect when turned out on the hand on a cold and frosty morning , where as a drum stick or ruler could not) . I think wrapping a kid on the head with a clinched fist full force to the extend of bruising your head breached all guidelines too , dragging kids by the ears across a school yard probably also did too , smacking a child with an open hand full force in the face with jewelry on your finger probably also did too. Your right most of the time a few lashes of the leather did you no harm (or did it?) well if did or didn't it's funny that most of the governments of the civilized world have banned the practice since our time at school and if they did it today they teachers would be in Jail, though to most it was preferable to 500 pages essay on the inside of ping pong ball . Quick and easy and over in a minute.

By the end of the 1970's the legislation was on the cards to change so teachers eased of on their rein of violence so you probably got a watered down version of the antics that the guy in the sixties and early seventies got in a time when no one dared to question of the catholic church run schools .

I was in brother fox's class he loved the leather . We used to do verbs on a Friday and you stood out in a line , he went down the line and when you answered you got to sit down and if you answered wrong you got a good belt of the leather. There was one guy in the class (GP) and he would keep moving his hand as the leather came down and foxy would miss him and he go flying but it just made the next one even harder. It was comical at the time
    and the whole class would be cracking up. That day was renamed to "VIBE FRIDAY"

The most notorious was brother Murphy AKA SPUD (does anyone remember SPUD?? ) he was an animal he broke
    a guys nose with punch for letting a pencil roll down his desk , I bet there some stories out there from guys who were taught by SPUD, great GAA man though, he was moved on somewhere else that was defining moment for the CBS as the parents of the individual would not let it go and the whole school knew about it . Not sure where he went but was moved off somewhere else as the thing would not go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Greystoned wrote: »
    If anybody has any photos of those days - I'd love to see them. Anyone have any old class/sports day/school tour/ photos?

Sound like it got bad after I left in 72. It was then ruled by Br. Dunne who was probably one of the more inspired teachers I ever had. Gerry O'sulllivan -who later became principal- taught me as well. I dont recall anything like the level of beating described although Br. Murphy (known as Little Joe then) arrived when we were leaving and I heard the stories of his craziness over the years.
    I too would be interested in memorabilia. A few of us from the class have even discussed a reunion which would need to be next year I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AJ1

1 . Brother Flaherty AKA Square head, his best moves were the Knuckles over the head, the ear lift
    was great too ha., lift and pull . The broom to beat you down the corridor and up the steps to his office for the baiting .. So a nice man . Probably dead but should be in Jail .
    I remember him, what an evil bastard he was.:mad: We had him filling in one day in 3rd class. I remember him lining us up to say a poem "when I grow up I want to be a fireman if I can...." IIRC. and he was standing at the end of the line bouncing the leather off his hand to see if anyone forgot their verse. I remember being so afraid that when it came to me I just couldn't open my mouth even though I knew the words and then he just drew back and whacked me on the hand as hard as he could. He did the same to Sean Dunphy. I still get that metallic taste of fear in my mouth when I think about that and I'm 41! - On the other hand (no pun intended) - I had Brother Horgan in 5th and 6th class. What an absolute gentleman he was. I always wonder where he went after that. I left there in '82. Last I heard he moved back to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 charlie88

FirstIn wrote: »
    Before it was the Shopping Basket it was Loves Supermarket. Remember that? Wasn't there a pet shop around the back of it!

When Hills sold petrol on the mainstreet, wasn't it maxol and free a nipper days. My old man always said his car ran really bad with it, said it was russian petrol! He always bought it so it couldn't have been all that bad!

Wasn't the Shell station called Pattersons, we always referred to it as that. A bloke called Billy O'Brien had a car repair place there and then the Shell station was run by Leonard's and there was a tyre place at the side.

Think the first store was liptons buddy... i remember being there with my grandmother in the back car park for the grand opening you mentioned... MAYHEM.. LOL.

FirstIn wrote: »
    Before it was the Shopping Basket it was Loves Supermarket. Remember that? Wasn't there a pet shop around the back of it!

When Hills sold petrol on the mainstreet, wasn't it maxol and free a nipper days. My old man always said his car ran really bad with it, said it was russian petrol! He always bought it so it couldn't have been all that bad!

Wasn't the Shell station called Pattersons, we always referred to it as that. A bloke called Billy O'Brien had a car repair place there and then the Shell station was run by Leonard's and there was a tyre place at the side.

Think the first store was Liptons mate... I remember being at the grand opening with my Grandmother at the back of the store (car park now)... ****in MAYHEM for a supermarket opening in Greystones... Deadly though... Great memory now that i'm 42.

Hey Greystoned G'man , no i did not get it too bad , just a few ear lugs and knuckle wraps on the head from the Head brother "O flaherty" AKA square head and a few full force slaps in the face from Mrs. Donnelly as things went i got very easy compared to some of the lads who seemed to get all the time . Usually it happened with her asking to recite EG 4 x's table etc , I remember Robert M from Bray starting off with 4 x 1 , 4 x 2 etc then she stopped him and said "Robert what is 4 x 9 ?" so Robert had to start from the start to get the answer , then she moved in and started to smack him on the face full force calling him a parrot , parrot , parrot .This was the Mrs. Donnelly's third class that I attended . No big deal but just for the record she get zero points from me for smacking children in the face like that good teacher or not.

Corporal punishment was legal but as far as I know the state had fairly strict guidelines as to what was a correct way to hit a kid , such as the teacher could not raise the hand over the shoulder ( that's probably how the leather became popular in our time as it was flexible and could be rolled back under the chin for full effect when turned out on the hand on a cold and frosty morning , where as a drum stick or ruler could not) . I think wrapping a kid on the head with a clinched fist full force to the extend of bruising your head breached all guidelines too , dragging kids by the ears across a school yard probably also did too , smacking a child with an open hand full force in the face with jewelry on your finger probably also did too. Your right most of the time a few lashes of the leather did you no harm (or did it?) well if did or didn't it's funny that most of the governments of the civilized world have banned the practice since our time at school and if they did it today they teachers would be in Jail, though to most it was preferable to 500 pages essay on the inside of ping pong ball . Quick and easy and over in a minute.

By the end of the 1970's the legislation was on the cards to change so teachers eased of on their rein of violence so you probably got a watered down version of the antics that the guy in the sixties and early seventies got in a time when no one dared to question of the catholic church run schools .

I was in brother fox's class he loved the leather . We used to do verbs on a Friday and you stood out in a line , he went down the line and when you answered you got to sit down and if you answered wrong you got a good belt of the leather. There was one guy in the class (GP) and he would keep moving his hand as the leather came down and foxy would miss him and he go flying but it just made the next one even harder. It was comical at the time
    and the whole class would be cracking up. That day was renamed to "VIBE FRIDAY"

The most notorious was brother Murphy AKA SPUD (does anyone remember SPUD?? ) he was an animal he broke
    a guys nose with punch for letting a pencil roll down his desk , I bet there some stories out there from guys who were taught by SPUD, great GAA man though, he was moved on somewhere else that was defining moment for the CBS as the parents of the individual would not let it go and the whole school knew about it . Not sure where he went but was moved off somewhere else as the thing would not go away.

If i ever meet Brother o' shea in the street... i'll crack the ****ing little magot's face open with 3 or 4 headbuts... Little scumbag beat the head off me when i was 9 ... ****ing 9.. Hope the bastard dies or died roaring

• Advertisement

charlie88 wrote: »
    If i ever meet Brother o' shea in the street... i'll crack the ****ing little magot's face open with 3 or 4 headbuts... Little scumbag beat the head off me when i was 9 ... ****ing 9.. Hope the bastard dies or died roaring

square head died in a car crash in italy a few years back i heard... another owl bastard

charlie88 wrote: »
    Think the first store was Liptons mate...
    Liptons never had a store in Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Liptons had a store in Bray until about 1980

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Less of the abusive violent posts please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jules1977

Does anybody remember the Shopping Basket? I remember going there on Sundays after 11am Mass and getting lots of sweets! :-) It was a busy spot. Extra Vision & Pinetos Take Away is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Jules1977 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember the Shopping Basket? I remember going there on Sundays after 11am Mass and getting lots of sweets! :-) It was a busy spot. Extra Vision & Pinetos Take Away is there now.

Agh the penny sweets, they were the worst counters ever :D

Yeah the penny sweets I loved. They had a pick a mix i think. :)

Ah those were de gud old days !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Talking about pennys how many remember Pennycooks ,Pixbyjohn will for sure;)

What were pennycooks? :)

• Advertisement

Jules1977 wrote: »
    What were pennycooks? :)

Pennycook was the name of the person who owned the only chipper in Greystones long ago. It was situated on the Beach House side of the railway bridge in Greystones.
    I can still smell the beautiful chips they sold there and it was a great spot to go to after the flix at the Ormonde picture house just up the road from Pennycooks.
    Mrs Nellie Greene used to work there.

Advertisement