Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Mulligans Mansions was the nickname of the 2 storey local authority houses built in Killincarrig

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    And do you remember her son building a concrete yacht in the farm yard, What a sight for us and we used to go and see its progress every week. He floated it in Dun Laoghaire.

Ha ha ha.

The "Maid of Crete"! I remember my dad laughing about it, everyone thought he was nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

My memories? Unfortunately I am from one of the many hostile townships that encircle Greystones, and can only give you an outsiders perspective.:D

IRFISH, and working there, and the grief the owner got. He was eventually run out of town, if I recall. Hard work back then for a schoolboy, mid 1990's, £3 per hour, and abuse from the locals at lunchtime if you went out. Will never forget working my first shift there- I distinctly remember realising just how easy school was.

Club Life, Bennigans, working there and being under the thumb of the insufferable obese sweaty fella that ran it. I know his name, and I am sure you all do too, but I wont mention it. :cool:

More than one tragic incident- the fella who died on the tracks, the girl who died at the bottom of the steps on the water near the Police Station, poor fella getting killed at the bottom of the Windgates Hill {I knew him from the Christmas Tree factory}, all 3 of those accidents were in the last 10 years.

The furore when the Marina was first announced....in the late 1980's, and some of the rumours going around, such as anyone who worked on the harbour would have a free berth for their yacht.:rolleyes:

That shoddy little dive at the harbour charging 70p for a can around 20 years before anyone knew what "Ripoff Ireland" was. Being annoyed by local intelligentsia who wanted the loan of 50p for the poker machine in the aforementioned dive....kid cannot have been any older than 15 and was engaged in what can only be described as illegal gambling- there is one for all you Rose Tinted folk!

Hearing people talk about how the Dart was going to bring "Scumbags" into Greystones, and then hearing someone else announce that the Dart didnt run from Kindlestown.:mad::eek:

The school bus filling up with kids from St Davids on the way into Greystones, and then dumping them all in Kilcoole.

Seeing Paul McShane hanging around in Greystones when he was a schoolboy and I was working on the roof of Xtra-Vision on the new apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Am I dreaming or do I remember fishing boats in the harbour back in the early 60's?

I was under five at the time so I probably thought all boats were fishing boats...

Lots of locals fished out of Greystones at that time but they didn't use large trawlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a couple of small fishing boats operating out of the harbour right up to the end, weren't there?

You are correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Flynn's was mentioned. Anyone remember the 'lucky bags' you used to be able to get there? Can't remember for the life of me what was in them though.

Greystones Cinema *before* it was renovated. When it had those wierd rainbow colours drifting accross the screen before showings.
    A certain *character* from Greystones putting chewing gum in someone's hair before a film in the cinema, getting reefed out in front of the whole cinema while declaring "I'll give ya all me money if ya let me stay!!"

The stink of piss in the huts at the harbour wall.

Drinking cans of bulmers (served from the bar) upstairs in Heroes.
    Drinking Jack Daniels at the bar in Heroes, in my school uniform, chatting to the owner (Tony something?), before receiving my lautrex membership.

Getting sent up to Brother Ford's office in St Kevin's, and doing the walk of shame up those little steps..

Speaking of St Kevin's.. did I dream it, or do I remember a shop on the right hand side as you walked in the main doors..???

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Anyone know where Carrs bog was/is ? I'd say Pixbyjohn will know :D

• Advertisement

bido wrote: »
    Anyone know where Carrs bog was/is ? I'd say Pixbyjohn will know :D

Manys the circus I went to in Carr's bog also watched some great soccer matches there. Who remembers Mc Faddens road show there about 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Flynn's was mentioned. Anyone remember the 'lucky bags' you used to be able to get there?

No.

But I do remember they sold champagne cider.
    Last resort when you had exhausted all the offies for cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Question for the old memories, what was O'Donohue's before O'Donohue's. Were they the first occupants of that building, what was there before that building?

sagat2 wrote: »
    Question for the old memories, what was O'Donohue's before O'Donohue's. Were they the first occupants of that building, what was there before that building?

O'Donohue's was a new building. Originally Josie Martin had a small barbers shop there and Leo Harmon of Delgany bought it for a fruit and vegetable shop. In a deal O'Donohue's knocked the vegetable shop and built the large shop(which is now the Permanent Bank ) and also built a replacement fruit and vegetable shop at the station side which is now Brooke and Shoal.
    4165412043_e023cfe042.jpg

Did Scuffils have 2 shops there, the Pet shop which is there was 1, Mrs Scuffil used to sell knitted clothing from it, and maybe they had a small grocery shop where O'Donohues then built.
    So many changes its difficult to remember all.:confused:

O'Donohue's was a new building. Originally Josie Martin had a small barbers shop there and Leo Harmon of Delgany bought it for a fruit and vegetable shop. In a deal O'Donohue's knocked the vegetable shop and built the large shop(which is now the Permanent Bank ) and also built a replacement fruit and vegetable shop at the station side which is now Brooke and Shoal.
    4165412043_e023cfe042.jpg

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

And owl Mr Brennan and how he'd chase the little chislers down the street. ''go on you little bollix'' he'd shout. Sez I ''go on ye owl peda-file''
    !!laughs,coughs, lung collapses!! tidays bred tiday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And owl Mr Brennan and how he'd chase the little chislers down the street. ''go on you little bollix'' he'd shout. Sez I ''go on ye owl peda-file''
    !!laughs,coughs, lung collapses!! tidays bred tiday

after hours is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kryo

there used to be years a go a babrbershop there on the main street.
    The guy was really old . any one knows if he still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

kryo wrote: »
    there used to be years a go a babrbershop there on the main street.
    The guy was really old . any one knows if he still alive?
    Frank Clarke? As far as I know he's still around. Only gave up the hair chopping a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Jammyc wrote: »
    Frank Clarke? As far as I know he's still around. Only gave up the hair chopping a few years ago.

Frank Clarke passed away in 2009 R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

My apologies. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Frank cut my hair once. He took my side-locks off, the lot. I never knew it was possible to cut that close to the skin with just a scissors.

Does anyone know what the name of the small bookshop was that used to be there opposite Frank Clarkes?

It was deffo there in 1996, and it's where I first spotted "Trainspotting" for sale. Kind of appropriate with the train track just behind it!

Was that bookshop called "Paddy's" It was later called "Murphy's". For years it was a great shop for pipes and tobacco as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Very sorry to hear that - Frank was a gentleman.

He opened the shop in 1942 and retired 64 years later in 2006. I often thought in amazement that by the time he retired himself, he must have been cutting the hair of pensioners to whom he had given their first hair cuts as small boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JO74

The 3 wheeled car in the Paddys day parade
    The train tracks down to the three trout river.
    Natures Gold herbal cigarettes.
    Foxes in the Woodlands woods.
    The rats in the dump.
    Bitz was the name of the cocktail bar in the woodlands hotel.
    Steve Carroll and his decks on top of the shelters at Greystones beach. Long summer nights.
    Having to go glass hunting for the Beach House on the beach and as far as the harbour wall during Laurie Hartz and his band Gold. Greystones summer Festival.
    The monkey tree up the road beside Eugenes shop.
    St.Killians Hall.
    PNR
    Mr Freezes from the sweet shop at the loos near St.Davids.
    Walking up to the sweet shop in the train station with sticky tar feet.

Was that bookshop called "Paddy's" It was later called "Murphy's". For years it was a great shop for pipes and tobacco as well.

Fond memories as a kid of running down to Paddy's to grab my copy of the Beano / Dandy as held for me behind the counter on my mothers instructions. Waiting patiently as the old characters were lining up and chatting away the smell in there was simply incredible.

Sad to hear Frank Clarke has passed. I suppose Mooney's and Ireton are now the only remaining relics of the old Greystones I grew up with, Along with the pharmacy (McGleenans is it called?) everything else has been moved, rebuilt, renamed, etc.

Fond memories as a kid of running down to Paddy's to grab my copy of the Beano / Dandy as held for me behind the counter on my mothers instructions. Waiting patiently as the old characters were lining up and chatting away the smell in there was simply incredible.

Sad to hear Frank Clarke has passed. I suppose Mooney's and Ireton are now the only remaining relics of the old Greystones I grew up with, Along with the pharmacy (McGleenans is it called?) everything else has been moved, rebuilt, renamed, etc.

And even Mc Gleenan's is fairly new cos before they moved in it was Scott's Chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Iretons moved from Kilcoole to their present shop,I remember when Mooneys went on fire,we watched it from the bus as we passed by on our way from school (CBS).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I suppose Mooney's and Ireton are now the only remaining relics of the old Greystones I grew up with, Along with the pharmacy (McGleenans is it called?) everything else has been moved, rebuilt, renamed, etc.

Have you not been in the middle bar in the Beach house recently? There are a few "relics" still alive and kicking in there!

Advertisement