Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I remember Mick Keating the bookie, I lived around the corner from him in Bray, I used to knick-knack hid door, hoping to see one of his daughters. that was a while ago?

Do you remember when he had the grocery shop at the corner in Bray also, you must do

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groovy 09

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Vincent was manager of the Orchard Inn pub, not of the football team.
    He was Chairman of Orchard United.

Vincent was and still is Manager in the Rugby Club. Soon to retire.

groovy 09 wrote: »
    Vincent was and still is Manager in the Rugby Club. Soon to retire.

When Vincent came to Greystones first he rented a room in Mrs Garret Byrne's house in Killincarrig and worked in the Orchard Inn later to become manager there. He later worked in the Rugby Club and as you say he is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Club Steward is his official title, I believe.

What, what, what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Has the Credit Union become part of "Old Greystones"?? Their website is down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Proin

I was one of those kids bussed in from Bray in the 'Fifties (a bit like Oklahoma or Arkansas) to the CBS. The special bus left Main Street Bray at 8.30 with the alternative of the 84s for Kilcoole and Delgany a bit later (and punishable by the strap for being late). The return special left at 3.15 on the dot, kids or no kids on board. In fact, conductors hated that run and did their best to escape before the Bray hoardes were released. Anyone hoping to get off at Blacklion, Windgates, Lord Meath's Gate, Boghall, the Vevay or the Town Hall stood a very good chance of missing their stop by the callous use of the three bells signal which told the driver not to stop. The driver, of course, was only too delighted to get the ordeal over with and go and have a pint.
    There were seasons aboard the bus - slings, pea-shooters, water pistols, whathaveyou - and battle ensued between the big lads in the back and the little lads in the front (depending on whether the bus was a front door 'slider' or a back door 'folder') against each other. The poor conductor was a common foe to both sides. The driver (pre-Royal Tigers) was safe in his cab, unless, as one found out, he was silly enough to stop and slide open his window to tell us to shut the hell up for the love of Jaysus. The unfortunate got a faceful of semi-masticated elderberries, courtesy of the little lads in the front and the big lads in the back.
    Our favourite driver was a man called Sullivan who looked a bit like James Cagney and drove like the clappers. One day in the catapult season as he swung the bus left around the Half Moon, the front emergency door flew open and Niall Lynch, Eamon Ledwidge and one other tumbled along the road like so many breakaway wheels. Barely a scratch on any of them. But it did result in a visit to the school by Sergeant Cleary of the Bray constabulary who addressed us all as we were lined up in the playground by an irate Bro Jack Callaghan. All catapults were confiscated and impounded. They are probably to this day in the back of a cupboard in the Garda station off the Novara Road, if it's still there. We had to have a boring old school bag (someone else's) fight on the way home that day.
    The Half Moon, which in fact was an S-bend, has long been straightened out - as a result of the bus wars of the Bray Terriers I like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Johnthewatch

Did Scuffils have 2 shops there, the Pet shop which is there was 1, Mrs Scuffil used to sell knitted clothing from it, and maybe they had a small grocery shop where O'Donohues then built.
    So many changes its difficult to remember all.:confused:
    Baldy Scuffil had the Rendevous and his wife had the knitting shop, God, it's all coming back!
    The bank (of Ireland, I think) was where Eugene's is (or was, it's a while since I was back!), McFarlands was where the bank is!
    Fallons paper shop was just above the Burnaby, then Scotts chemist, Fenlons butchers and Frank Clarkes!
    A bit of a blur, then Robbies and the vet's (can't remember his name, but it will come back to me!), then houses 'till Stanley Stores, ah, Enright Doyle. Then down Church Rd. past where I lived with Peggy O'Neill on one side and Mrs Auld on the other.
    Happy times!

Frank Clarke, R.I.P. indeed. A true gentleman!

Baldy Scuffil had the Rendevous and his wife had the knitting shop, God, it's all coming back!
    The bank (of Ireland, I think) was where Eugene's is (or was, it's a while since I was back!), McFarlands was where the bank is!
    Fallons paper shop was just above the Burnaby, then Scotts chemist, Fenlons butchers and Frank Clarkes!
    A bit of a blur, then Robbies and the vet's (can't remember his name, but it will come back to me!), then houses 'till Stanley Stores, ah, Enright Doyle. Then down Church Rd. past where I lived with Peggy O'Neill on one side and Mrs Auld on the other.
    Happy times!
    Don't forget that Fox's had a butchers shop between Fenelon's and Frank Clarke's. The Northern Bank before Robbies,where the Hogans lived. Mrs Robbie is hail and hearty and living in Greystones still. Ross Buckley was the vet's name, He lives in Killincarrig now, quite frail. Beside Fallon's paper shop was Mr. Fallon in his fish shop, it was a triangular shaped shop. He used to sell very nice fish cakes.

When Vincent came to Greystones first he rented a room in Mrs Garret Byrne's house in Killincarrig and worked in the Orchard Inn later to become manager there. He later worked in the Rugby Club and as you say he is still there.
    Is that Vincent Byrne?
    I lived beside him in Kindlestown Park, son (William?) with drums- 'nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Is that Vincent Byrne?
    I lived beside him in Kindlestown Park, son (William?) with drums- 'nuff said!

Willie does love his Drumming.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Vincent just retired from the Rugby Club after 34/35 ? years of fantastic service to the Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Frank Clarke, R.I.P. indeed. A true gentleman!

Frank passed away?

sagat2 wrote: »
    Frank passed away?

Yes
    Date of death: Thursday, April 30, 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Yes
    Date of death: Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sad to hear. Frank saw a couple of generations grow from boys to men in his chair and no matter how many years you were away and how much you'd have grown in-between he'd always recognize you as soon as you walked in the door. Inevitably you also discover that your Dad had been in earlier in the morning and forgotten a jacket, library book or umbrella for you to lug home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 walkyouhome

Just tripped on this thread about racking my brains as to the name of the woman murdered on killincarrig road in the late 60's early 70's...thanks to whoever remembered Mrs Meldon.... but hey all that other stuff - fantastic. within a few square yards of scuffles shop sure there was all life and death. Wasn't it jbkeane who said he only had to look out the window to find material for all his work.... as someone who sold icecreams from that little shop at the beach beside the 'skating rink for flies' for a summer and shovelled the dung from 'down the horses' and got splashed every time by that forever puddle opposite now Dann's car park gate...and everyone 'claimin' everyone else down behind the Anchor until the bootboys came to town on the bus and there was a new enemy..

Other things

-the sweet shop sadly short lived in upholstery shop...
    -boxes of broken crunchies in Doyles
    -tops of cereal boxes pegged to the back wheel of our bikes
    -taking your togs and racquet with you in the morning and never coming home all day in summer time
    - walking over the iron bridge in bare feet
    - 'freaking out' to long legged woman dressed in black at st killians sports and social club ? hadn't it some other 'cool' name ..? before chips in the sharavogue.
    - taste of kentucky fried chicken first time ever at tennis club hop
    - meeting on the rocks before school on summer mornings.
    - the sticky smell of gum stuck under the desks at the back of the class in St Josephs - the old house that St Davids used for inter and leaving cert classes before the new block was built...
    - O'Donoghoe's fruit and veg show
    - Loves supermarket opened on Christmas day and saved our bacon when our family turkey turned out to be gone off and we couldn't believe our luck...
    - Bill Doyle's brother stopping his bike by putting his foot forward and just jamming it on the wheel.
    -going on a 'picnic' to the pig field

Sure where else would you be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Welcome to the Boards - great first post! :D

walkyouhome,
    -the sweet shop sadly short lived in upholstery shop... = Gethings shop.
    Great memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ParkerKav

a parker wrote: »
    World Cups,All Ireland Finals Football & Hurling,Triple Crowns,FA Cup Finals all took place on this pitch.
    Goal Posts were carried fron Coolagad/Bellvue.
    Top Row v. Bottom Row was the big deal.
    Bottom Row squad consisted of Ger Kenny,Mick Kenrick,Paul Bolger,Richard Bourne,Robin Simmons,Billy & Bobby Lyons,Brian & Jody Smith,Shay Kiernan,Peter & Johnny Groome,Peter,Paddy & Joe Byrne,David Morris (RIP),Tommy Cardiff,Tommy White.
    Top Row Squad consisted of Walter Keegan,Sean & Kilian Linton,Pauline Byrne,Peter Deane,John,Larry & Martin Commons,Kieran & Colm Gaskin,Bernard Byrne,Bernard & David Hayden,Noel & John Kavanagh,Niall Browne,Bernard Burke,Dave McAuliffe,Peter Mitchell,Mick O' Leary.
    Great Days!
    I was in that top row team as u mentioned, My names John Kavanagh. i have been reading through the mega threads delighted to see my name on screen. You sound like a fellow true parker,are you top row or bottom row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Parker sub forum for sure!!

• Advertisement

We should have a Parker sub forum for sure!! Would love to see football on the pitch there.. thanks for remembering my brother

Are you Shay and Deirdre's brother ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Nope ;) but nice try Mister McG

Nope ;) but nice try Mister McG

Thanks N

The death has occurred of Leslie ACHESON of Dunloughan, Ballyconneely, Galway He died Thursday 14th. October 2010 RIP
    Remember Leslie, he used to own the Anchor Amusements at the harbour, where Joe Sweeney is now.
    I remember the Jukebox very well and the football table there. Mrs Somers worked in the shop part. She is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Blacktap (Kinsella) was the father of Sap & Crump. How he got his name is a story in itself (later).

Crump was Jack Kinsella who was a greensman at the Golf Club, and in the Fifties, Jack Crump was a writer who had a golf column in the Evening Mail or Herald.

The Wonder Man was Jack Sweeney, and although he was able to to walk the length of Danns bar on his hands, when he was in his sixties, which was a wonder in itself, almost every time you met him he would say " I saw so-and-so doing so-and-so this morning, I wonder what they were up to" or " I wonder where he's going, or I wonder why they're painting that colour"

Earwig is Brendan Sweeney, and he got that name from Munger Doyle. He and Munger fished together for a while, and naturally it was an uneasy relationship - the smart-arsed teddy boy and the God-fearing traditional. Just one of Munger's put-downs (which never worked with Brendan).

The minister was Joe Ryan, the father of Larry (the senator). I don't know how he got the name - I always knew him as the minister. He was a lovely man ; he lived at Arch villas between Peter Byrne and the Sweeneys. He was in the British army in WW1 and was gassed and wounded at the Dardanelles. The lower half of his face was badly damaged, and despite his handicap, he could tell some yarns about the 'Danniels' as he called the Dardanelles. I only wish that I had listened more closely at the time.

Square was Square Byrne. He lived in Blacklion cottages, next door to Lure/Luhr ? Leggett ( Sean & Gerry Gorman's grandfather). Square had a club foot, so never really worked , and I suspect that 'Square' was originally 'squire' - a man of leisure.

More later, but some extra that I recall :-

The Bagman (or Lifter), Nipper, Scarce, the Bat, Spolliam, the Ringer.

Blactop Kinsella also had another son William (Dwyer Kinsella) who was my grandfather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 a parker

ParkerKav wrote: »
    I was in that top row team as u mentioned, My names John Kavanagh. i have been reading through the mega threads delighted to see my name on screen. You sound like a fellow true parker,are you top row or bottom row?

Hi John
    I played for top row,I have been known to have a few jars in the bar with your brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flogball

Just read this great thread from start to finish and it has brought back great memories!
    I played in the five a side tournaments in Gratton Park pitch for Delgany United made up of lads from the Bellevue road and Delgany village and a few lads from around the Willow Grove.
    Our home ground was a field on the Bellevue road half way up the hill on the right side as you come up from Delgany Village. The field was owned by the Corbalis family who kindly let us have it to play our games.
    This would have been around the early 70s and we used have some great games every Sunday afternoon. We often had as many as 22 players on the pitch at a game.(11 a side)
    The game would start at 2pm and often was still been played at 5pm.
    Does anyone remember playing on this pitch in Delgany? and any of the players who played on these marathon matches?

flogball wrote: »
    Just read this great thread from start to finish and it has brought back great memories!
    I played in the five a side tournaments in Gratton Park pitch for Delgany United made up of lads from the Bellevue road and Delgany village and a few lads from around the Willow Grove.
    Orchard Utd. organised the five a side tournaments in Grattan Park, great matches were played there in the evenings and amazingly there was only 1 window ever broken by a wayward football and that was Kendrick's.
    Did Christy Davitt play for Delgany Utd. ? For some reason he never got on great with some of the referees :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flogball

Well Christy Davitt certainley played in our games alright! He was a tough player and always had afew words for the ref lol!
    We had a couple of teams from Delgany in those 5 a sides!
    Anyone remember Seamus Clear? Peter O'NEILL used play in goals for us and made a fine keeper.
    We had a good few sets of brothers played aswell.
    O'NEILS, MCKAYS,Clears,Darcys,McDonalds,Smyths,Thighs,Whites,Barrys,Farrellys and Byrnes to name a few!
    We also ran our own little tournament in the upper field in Bellevue.
    Players like John Fagan,Tim Kavanagh,Myles Waters Frank Coleman spring to mind!

• Advertisement

Famous Seamus (Clear) is alive and well, his latest saying is "its impossible to find intelligent life in the Dail". Yes Peter O Neill was a good keeper and later went on to manage the Wicklow county GAA team. Timmy still has the long hair but has given up the football. I remember John Fagan from the gate lodge of the Carmelite Convent very well, he later became a mechanic.

Advertisement