Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Have you not been in the middle bar in the Beach house recently? There are a few "relics" still alive and kicking in there!
    There's a couple behind the bar too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

Just checked back in here - it's really full of great memories. Does anybody remember getting fishing bait on Hillside Road? I was just a kid so it's not easy to remember exactly where - but I'm thinking there were sheds (possibly green) on the right-hand side (as you walk up the road, away from Church Rd.) about 50 to 100 yards after the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think Peter Ryan was in there at one time selling bait. Was it in the lane after Ernest B. Wilson's auction rooms which are now shops on Hillside road ? But thats the lefthand side.
    He later moved to behind where Bochelli's are and used to fix bicycles too.

Pixbyjohn, I always had trouble with left vs. right. One of my earliest memories was tormenting my parents to tell me if the Irish sea was to the left or right, so that I'd always be able to figure out left from right on a sort of East vs. West basis. At least in Greystones!
    You're right, I should have said, left hand side.
    Do you have a memory of the green huts, I mentioned as well? I have this idea they were rounded - possibly made from metal.
    I don't remember Ernest Wilson's auction rooms - but I do know my parents bought their house via him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

sagat wrote: »
    Waiting for somebody to return a flick you want to see to Video World
    Quinnsworth selling make your own Pizza's and the entire town eating them
    The Cherry Blossom was the height of exotic cuisine
    When Eugenes was Eugenes
    The backwards clock in Jokers
    When the summer festival included outdoor concerts at the harbour
    Sweeneys amusements getting a fancy makeover only to look like the same old kip merely a month later
    Walking home from Bary after missing the last bus along the cliff walk or train tracks if you were brave(stupid) enough
    The diving board and raft on the south beach
    The LaTouche hotel in its glory
    Practice wall at the old tennis club
    The original Copper Kettle
    I remember these ones.

Don't forget Captain Hook's playhouse in the LaTouche! Also I remember old Frank Clarke cutting my hair many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

And Sally O'Brien; and the blow job she might give you. Ah the weather is fine and the suntan is free. You could fry an egg on the doorstep; if you had an egg. And you could sink a pint of harp; if you had a pint of harp.

[QUOTE=Do you have a memory of the green huts, I mentioned as well? I have this idea they were rounded - possibly made from metal.
    .[/QUOTE]

I remember there were green galvanised houses just after Walker's garage (Later to become Hill's ) and on the righthand side there was a grey galvanised building which was Fox's butchers shop before it moved down between Frank Clarke's barber shop and Fenelon's butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And owl Mr Brennan and how he'd chase the little chislers down the street. ''go on you little bollix'' he'd shout. Sez I ''go on ye owl peda-file''
    !!laughs,coughs, lung collapses!! tidays bred tiday
    And Sally O'Brien; and the blow job she might give you. Ah the weather is fine and the suntan is free. You could fry an egg on the doorstep; if you had an egg. And you could sink a pint of harp; if you had a pint of harp.

now you're repeating yourself. we get the idea, you don't like the nostalgia - so just stop reading this thread then. Any further trolling = ban.

Anyone remember the football pitch at the bottom of Grattan Park ? Or indeed playing for Grattan Utd up in Dr Ryan's field.Think that was the name of it anyway, getting on a bit now ;)

Joliegood wrote: »
    Anyone remember the football pitch at the bottom of Grattan Park ? Or indeed playing for Grattan Utd up in Dr Ryan's field.Think that was the name of it anyway, getting on a bit now ;)

Yes, Orchard Utd ran a five a side tournament on that pitch in Grattan Park for several years. Lots of very good teams took part and Derek Wilkinson who was car salesman in Hills garage always entered a super team, Harps Utd. which included Dom Tierney, George Forsyth and 3 others who took the title on a few occasions. Derek called his team after that famous League of Ireland team Finn Harps.

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    . Derek called his team after that famous League of Ireland team Finn Harps.
    Of which he was chairman at one stage I believe.

Of which he was chairman at one stage I believe.
    Correct

Or indeed playing for Grattan Utd up in Dr Ryan's field.Think that was the name of it anyway, getting on a bit now ;)

Was it Orchard Utd in Dr. Ryan's field at the back of Crowabbey/Bellevue Heights ?

Was it Orchard Utd in Dr. Ryan's field at the back of Crowabbey/Bellevue Heights ?

Grattan Utd played there back in the day, Under 12's. Was great fun avoiding hard tackles and cowsh1t at the same time. The Orchard, certainly in later years played on the pitch immediately behind St Laurance's school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The football pitch in Grattan Park was ruined when the council dug it up to put in sewer pipes and left a big manhole cover in the middle.

Used to love sitting at the end of our garden watching the Grattan Park Vs Spaniards Matches.

The American Football with the Mormons who used to visit each year was brilliant too.

Anyone remember the old main road at the end of Grattan Park?

The walk across the cornfield to school, hanging out in the hay bales during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lenny72

great fun reading a lot of the posts and learning things even before my time started in greystones. i can remember a terrible / unfortunate incident one evening on the main street (was anyone else present?). was always a great town for spanish students (some fond memories of a few girls) but there was a growing resentment by some tossers (funny the parallel today??) about them being in the town. my friend and i were walking back up from the burnaby on a saturday circa summer '88-89 and we met a few head-bangers coming down past us carrying bats etc. we watched as they set into a small group of unfortunate spanish kids near jokers. what they had not bargained for was another group of much older spaniards who were coming up from the south beach direction who then proceeded in a scene similar to something out of resevoir dogs to kick the crap out of the tossers! literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I remember that...:D

I had to spend hours comforting all the scared senoritas.

Being honest, a lot of the Spanish lads were t*ssers but that was probably down to not wanting their ladies to mix with the townie lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JO74

Do you remember the Judge who lived in the old Burnaby? With the 24hr 7day a week armed guard? and the little hut thery had in the corner of his Garden for the making of the tae?
    He was trying IRA wasnt he?

JO74 wrote: »
    Do you remember the Judge who lived in the old Burnaby? With the 24hr 7day a week armed guard? and the little hut thery had in the corner of his Garden for the making of the tae?
    He was trying IRA wasnt he?
    He was the Attorney General, John Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Those Lads stepping out of the shadows with the armalites used to sobber me up quick smart.

• Advertisement

Just looking through one of Derek Paine's books (#5). At the back, there are copies of old attendance registers for St. Patricks' National School. Great list of familiar names and addresses from around the town - but I found the following street names strange:

Golf Road, Greystones
    Back Row, Greystones
    Top of the Road, Greystones
    Confusion St, Greystones
    Lonely Lane, Greystones
    Dirty Lane, Greystones

Trafalgar Square - but this would appear to be just the beginning of Trafalgar Rd. where Mooney's shop is.

The attendance register is typed and lists children who started there (at that school) from 1893 to 1911. The document seems quite official - even referring to the school in Irish as "An Scoil Naisiunta, Greystones (2)". Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions where these addresses correspond to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DOC....

I used to work at all of the above...up until 1983...oh..and the Rugby club......FUN TIMES....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Huntthe wrote: »
    Those Lads stepping out of the shadows with the armalites used to sobber me up quick smart.

I was waiting for a lift with a bag of golf clubs over my shoulder near his house one day and got a right grilling! Luckily, Pings and Titleist were the only weapons I had in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I was looking at the new digital photo collection from old glass plates on the National Library site - if you put Greystones into the search engine you get some great photos from the last 100 years or so

Maisy wrote: »
    I was looking at the new digital photo collection from old glass plates on the National Library site - if you put Greystones into the search engine you get some great photos from the last 100 years or so

Link here
    http://digital.nli.ie/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=any&CISOBOX1=greystones&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=%2Fglassplates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 a parker

World Cups,All Ireland Finals Football & Hurling,Triple Crowns,FA Cup Finals all took place on this pitch.
    Goal Posts were carried fron Coolagad/Bellvue.
    Top Row v. Bottom Row was the big deal.
    Bottom Row squad consisted of Ger Kenny,Mick Kenrick,Paul Bolger,Richard Bourne,Robin Simmons,Billy & Bobby Lyons,Brian & Jody Smith,Shay Kiernan,Peter & Johnny Groome,Peter,Paddy & Joe Byrne,David Morris (RIP),Tommy Cardiff,Tommy White.
    Top Row Squad consisted of Walter Keegan,Sean & Kilian Linton,Pauline Byrne,Peter Deane,John,Larry & Martin Commons,Kieran & Colm Gaskin,Bernard Byrne,Bernard & David Hayden,Noel & John Kavanagh,Niall Browne,Bernard Burke,Dave McAuliffe,Peter Mitchell,Mick O' Leary.
    Great Days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 groovy 09

sagat wrote: »
    Reading this board for a number of months from the shadows, interesting to see a lot of the activity is coming from new residents but surely there must be a number of us floating around who remember the Greystones of old. Lets reminisce about the days gone. Hands up if you remember:

Buying the paper at Murphy's
    Groceries at O'Donohues
    Watching Pieter Muller play rugby for Greystones
    The Golf Club burning
    The Woodlands for that matter
    Waiting for somebody to return a flick you want to see to Video World
    When you could buy a record on that same block
    The knitting shop before the pet store
    Queueing 3 maybe 4 hours to see Batman at the Ormonde cinema.
    Quinnsworth selling make your own Pizza's and the entire town eating them
    Remington Steele filming Taffin at Brady's hardware
    The Cherry Blossom was the height of exotic cuisine
    Buying Friday's dinner from the fish factory
    When the shuttle to Bray was more regular and reliable than the Dart today
    When Eugenes was Eugenes
    Getting nothing but petrol from the Esso station besides the complimentary check of your water and oil
    The backwards clock in Jokers
    Lautrex succeeding Cabannas
    Evans Hardware
    When the summer festival included outdoor concerts at the harbour
    When you couldn't as much as fart in the town without everyone knowing about it.
    Sweeneys amusements getting a fancy makeover only to look like the same old kip merely a month later
    Street Fighter 2 at same amusements
    Walking home from Bary after missing the last bus along the cliff walk or train tracks if you were brave(stupid) enough
    The diving board and raft on the south beach
    When the rocks on same beach looked like mountains
    The LaTouche hotel in its glory
    The LaTouch shop in its glory, toys, sweets, C64 games
    Butcher Shops
    Practice wall at the old tennis club
    The original Copper Kettle
    Pitch and Put where there is now park and Ride
    Some funny American game in the park by the Burnaby
    ...and so much more.

So lets hear about the times, places and characters that marked the Greystones of old. Pictures would be the icing if anyone has old ones. As for you blow-ins, keep reading as you may be amazed and amused with what your new home was once like.

Remember all of those ! God that's brought me back. The P & R Disco's in the Rugby Club....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Muller was an animal !

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

What the... ???? :eek:

Yea ? that's exactly what I thought.... If thats all he can remember, some people are very dull & silly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Josie Martin had the Barbers shop and Mick Keating had the bookies but in between there was a little shop that sold jewellery and odd bits run by a lady. John Ledwidge ran a bookies in behind where Joker's (Comino's ) chipper is now, the entrance was through the passageway beside the Chipper.
    Does anyone remember the cake shop opposite St. Killian's hall where Tina worked ,Sharavogue it was called. It later became a chipper. On the other side up the road from Killian's hall there was a clothes shop too.
    Remember Gethings sweet shop where the upholstry shop is now opposite where Moran's fish shop was. Also where Declans Barbers shop is there was a chemist there.

I remember Mick Keating the bookie, I lived around the corner from him in Bray, I used to knick-knack hid door, hoping to see one of his daughters. that was a while ago?

Advertisement