Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Article on yesterdays Limerick leader about new m7 motorway to Dublin.A lot of mistakes , esp. over cost overruns of nenagh limerick section and who pay's.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/New-M7-motorway-won39t-have.6191517.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Another email reply:

Sent: 29 March 2010 17:06
    To: Annamarie McNally
    Subject: RE: Nenagh - Limerick Motorway

Thanks for the reply Annmarie.

Is there any word on what the hold up is for the Birdhill to Limerick section is. I have walked the route lately and there only seems to be 300 M left to do? This section is over a bog in Gooig? There has been no work carried out here for over a month. It would be great to get some concrete facts as to whats going on with this section.

Regards,

Mr. ,

The final section to be delivered from Birdhill to Limerick involves construction works over the Annaholty bog. A number of issues have materialised pertaining to the construction of the piled embankment in this area which the Design/Build Contractor has to remediate at his own cost prior to completion of the works. Firm proposals in this respect are awaited.

I should also point out that it would be of concern to the Authority if individuals were walking the site without appropriate authorisation from the contractor contrary to the relevant provisions of Health & Safety legislation. The Authority would advise people to desist from this unless appropriate authorisation has been given by the Contractor.

Regards,
    Annamarie McNally

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

A number of issues have materialised pertaining to the construction of the piled embankment in this area which the Design/Build Contractor has to remediate at his own cost prior to completion of the works. Firm proposals in this respect are awaited.

:( The 'firm proposals' bit is somewhat worrying.

I should also point out that it would be of concern to the Authority if individuals were walking the site without appropriate authorisation from the contractor contrary to the relevant provisions of Health & Safety legislation. The Authority would advise people to desist from this unless appropriate authorisation has been given by the Contractor.

Slap on the wrist for you sir!! :D:D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The taxpayer does not pay unless of course Bothar Hibernian loans went to NAMA yesterday like most of Bernard McNamaras stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Get offa that road you mug. :D

• Advertisement

Slap on the wrist for you sir!! :D:D;)
    Berty wrote: »
    Get offa that road you mug. :D

I got a bit of a scolding there! The NRA are not happy.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I got a bit of a scolding there! The NRA are not happy.

Hey, it's nothing to do with them. It would be like asking a question to an EHO about a dirty kitchen you saw to be told you are not allowed in kitchens without white coats and hats.

Feck em' to hell. They have no authority over the roads are it is the contractor's responsibility and to be honest the contractor wants vagabonds and guy who steal equipment to stay off his site and not you out for a walk.

HOWEVER, should the contractor be aware you are taking pictures of his shoddy workmanship then think again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Hey, it's nothing to do with them. It would be like asking a question to an EHO about a dirty kitchen you saw to be told you are not allowed in kitchens without white coats and hats.

Feck em' to hell. They have no authority over the roads are it is the contractor's responsibility and to be honest the contractor wants vagabonds and guy who steal equipment to stay off his site and not you out for a walk.

HOWEVER, should the contractor be aware you are taking pictures of his shoddy workmanship then think again!

Not quite true.

The contractor could be held liable if someone got injured while walking on the road. As the primary landowner the NRA could also potentially be held liable.

The bit that concerns me is that we have been looking at pictures of the remedial work at Gooig.

But the NRA are saying that their are issues with the bog at Annaholty which in the pictures we have seen is finished, lined and has cats eyes down..

Even more worryingly is that the contractor has not even submitted a proposal on how to fix this let alone the NRA signing off on the proposal for the fix let alone the work even commencing.........

Year end could be optimistic.

knipex wrote: »
    Not quite true.

The contractor could be held liable if someone got injured while walking on the road. As the primary landowner the NRA could also potentially be held liable.

Not quite true either.

If the contractor / NRA can prove you overcame an obstacle to enter the site and bypassed signs at the access points then you are trespassing and you have a significantly weaker base for claiming.

Contractors request sub contractors have Liability Insurance so that if they fall over it's their own tough but if you break in.

Its called General Obligations Law and it simply says if you put up signs and appropriate fencing/gates/barriers and somebody bypasses them it's their own tough but if you wilfully or neglegiently leave a gate open, do not put up trespassing sign etc then you are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

The bit that concerns me is that we have been looking at pictures of the remedial work at Gooig.

But the NRA are saying that their are issues with the bog at Annaholty which in the pictures we have seen is finished, lined and has cats eyes down..

No - the road at Drominboy bog is finished. This is the very small and very deep bog near Herberts pub.

The other bog is the Annaholty bog - which is in Gooig, right at the county boundary. This is the stretch with the current problems.
    Even more worryingly is that the contractor has not even submitted a proposal on how to fix this let alone the NRA signing off on the proposal for the fix let alone the work even commencing.........

Yeah - agreed - if thats true it may be a long while yet before this section of the road is opened.

• Advertisement

Not quite true either.

If the contractor / NRA can prove you overcame an obstacle to enter the site and bypassed signs at the access points then you are trespassing and you have a significantly weaker base for claiming.

Contractors request sub contractors have Liability Insurance so that if they fall over it's their own tough but if you break in.

Its called General Obligations Law and it simply says if you put up signs and appropriate fencing/gates/barriers and somebody bypasses them it's their own tough but if you wilfully or neglegiently leave a gate open, do not put up trespassing sign etc then you are at fault.

On an open site like a road it would be very difficult to prove in court that you had fully secured the site.

I know a guy who got sued when kids entered the house he was building by night. He had a locked gate on the entrance and a big sign up. a group of teenagers kids really came in one night for a cider party and one fell off the second story (no stairs in place just a ladder).

They claimed the just walked in from the adjoining field where there was no fencing just the original low dirt wall. He was lucky he had insurance.

kevin7 wrote: »
    No - the road at Drominboy bog is finished. This is the very small and very deep bog near Herberts pub.

The other bog is the Annaholty bog - which is in Gooig, right at the county boundary. This is the stretch with the current problems.

Thanks for clarifying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Jumpy wrote: »
    Would it be legal for me to cycle the Limerick-Birdhill section if I wanted to see how its going?
    Or is it considered off limits to the public?

You are not allowed cycle on motorways...boom...boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

TM was put out on Monday for the birdhill section. New signs etc were put out too. This section should be open for friday or so i was told in not so many words

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

Looks like barriers are being removed at the link road roundabout in Birdhill this morning. A big metal barrier was being lifted from the lane coming on to the roundabout. An artic was parked beside so it looks like it may be a permanent removal.

The cones are being removed and/or put into a new location on the flyover at the Newport Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

dergside wrote: »
    Looks like barriers are being removed at the link road roundabout in Birdhill this morning. A big metal barrier was being lifted from the lane coming on to the roundabout. An artic was parked beside so it looks like it may be a permanent removal.

HAHAHA. Almost got me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

wait.... a.... minute....

first day of April....

Should be open tomorrow or early next week according to a lad working there. They have the diversion signs on the new stretch to send you back off the motorway at Birdhill.

andykells wrote: »
    Should be open tomorrow or early next week according to a lad working there. They have the diversion signs on the new stretch to send you back off the motorway at Birdhill.

Are they working tomorrow or are they off for Good Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 kingofthehill

dergside wrote: »

It's true, the barriers were removed this morning. But there are still no barriers at the Birdhill interchange (on the roundabouts not the motorway) that prevents cars from heading towards Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

see latest on aa website

Updated: 01/04/2010 12:52:49

*MAIN TRAFFIC* *TIPPERARY* The M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill is due to open to traffic before Easter. The 15.5km stretch of M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill comprises high quality dual carriageway built to motorway standard.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/

clon wrote: »
    see latest on aa website

*MAIN TRAFFIC* *TIPPERARY* The M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill is due to open to traffic before Easter. The 15.5km stretch of M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill comprises high quality dual carriageway built to motorway standard.

Before Easter?? Can they not just give a date and time instead of having us guess? Other than that, great news? I'll be driving to Nenagh Saturday, hope it's open before that!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

before easter implies thursday, friday or saturday.
    my guess is still good friday ... tomorrow...:)
    clon wrote: »
    see latest on aa website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

You are not allowed cycle on motorways...boom...boom.
    While it is built to motorway standards, It is not a motorway yet as it is still a building site until it is open for Right of way access (i.e. open to Traffic), and until the Minister of Transport signs off on it as a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Is Good Friday not easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

Jumpy wrote: »
    HAHAHA. Almost got me there.

As if I'd just come on here and mess with you all! :)

Been lurking on here for a good while and appreciated all the effort people have put in to getting photo's, feedback, etc. Thanks to all for that.

The false dawns of missed deadlines has been disappointing to say the least. The NRA may have delegated the building of the road but they seem to have forgotton that they can't abdicate responsibility for the project. Given that they haven't had as many projects to concentrate on as a result of the capital plan cutbacks you'd imagine that they should have enough time to be on top of the projects that ARE running.

Roll on the completion across the bogs to Limerick and hopefully I can finally get a decent and consistent journey time to work!

Now, if they could just sort out the bridge in Killaloe........

Would not be surprised if it was open tomorrow. More TM going on today and those lads not being paid to put it on for the laughh. TM crowd working tomorrow so dont see why the road lads wouldnt be. The days of the builders holidays are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Is Good Friday not easter?
    nope.
    easter starts on sunday.
    next week is easter week.
    this week is holy week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lexar

limklad wrote: »
    While it is built to motorway standards, It is not a motorway yet as it is still a building site until it is open for Right of way access (i.e. open to Traffic), and until the Minister of Transport signs off on it as a motorway.
    It has been designated as a Motorway since last year. I heard also that it is opening today at 4 pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement