Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Fair bit of activity around today! Stop go system in operation at the bridge Over the N7 near the yellow bridge! Lads planting trees etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Cats eye's have been laid all the way from Finnegans to the other end of the Motorway. All line's are down(except trouble area).

Not all of the Gantry's are up though and many of the one's that are up are missing their signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

are we still looking at this friday, april 2nd, for opening of nenagh - birdhill?
    anyone hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

There's never an official word on opening on this scheme, because, I believe, the NRA don't know what foul-up to expect next. :rolleyes:

However, there actually is an electric Variable Message Sign turned on and flashing the message "Caution - Motorway Ends Ahead" on the westbound carriageway approaching Birdhill.

I think this is as close to confirmation as we are likely to get that Nenagh-Birdhill will open this week.:)

With the state of the Annaholty bog section (see lukejr's pictures), and the lack of any apparent frenzy of activity, I think all the parties involved here may be back scratching their heads trying to agree a solution to the problem, and maybe trying to get sign-off on the solution from the NRA.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

fresca wrote: »
    are we still looking at this friday, april 2nd, for opening of nenagh - birdhill?
    anyone hear anything?
    I expect they will make an announcement on Thursday and say

" FOOL, FOOLS, It is the First of April, Did you actually believe we open the road today? "

There been so many false hope about this road to open. I nearly believe they pull this prank, just to rub it in how foolish we been to believe all reports about the opening day, especially when they do not know for certain themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Does anyone know if the contractor has corrected that hideous M2 signage on the ADS approaching J29 on the current N7 heading south towards the RAB? Obviously it's supposed to be the M20 in brackets but again another sign is incorrectly done.

Whats the story with junction 26, is it finished now?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

fresca wrote: »
    anyone hear anything?

Surely if they want to have it open for Easter, Thursday should be the day to aim for?

i'm just pessimistically, expecting that it will open as late as possible to easter, i.e. friday ... that's if it opens this weekend at all (i have no evidence to suggest that it won't, it's just, given the history of this project, it would not be surprising we go through this weekend with the road unopened)
    Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Surely if they want to have it open for Easter, Thursday should be the day to aim for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

jacksie66 wrote: »
    cycled from birdhill to finnegans roundabout there on saturday.. all lined with cats eyes the whole way.

Thanks for the update. I only walked about 2km, but it's good to know that the small section at Annaholty Bog is the only part that needs to be finished. Lets hope the contractor will put all their effort into this section now that everything else is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

why haven't any of the regulation signs been put up on the slips on the current M7 and M20 with the following:
    motorway-ahead2.gif

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=109918

Roadworks on the existing N7 until April 12th. Would this put the opening of the road back again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

lukejr wrote: »
    New concrete slab:
    DSC_0222.jpg

I walked that exact Gooig bog section nearly five weeks ago and that particular section of the road was the same back then. To me it looks like there has been absolutely no change since I walked it five weeks ago!

What is the delay? Worrying?
    I went for a walk along the Gooig bog section of the motorway today, they are still driving the concrete poles into the side of the road in parts of the motorway. Along that particular section they still have to put down the final layor of tarmac and erect the crash barriers along the side of the road. In one small section of the road they still haven't put down any tarmac at all. From the Bog Road bridge on however everything seems to be completed excluding that troublesome area . . .

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your email regarding the N7 Nenagh to Limerick motorway.

The Nenagh to Birdhill section is due to open this week. There is no confirmation yet as to the date for the remainder of the scheme.
    Regards,

Annamarie McNally
    Programme Administrator

National Roads Authority, St. Martin's House,
    Waterloo Road, Dublin 4.
    Tel. 00 353 1 660 2511.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Deedsie wrote: »
    Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your email regarding the N7 Nenagh to Limerick motorway.

The Nenagh to Birdhill section is due to open this week. There is no confirmation yet as to the date for the remainder of the scheme.
    Regards,

Annamarie McNally
    Programme Administrator

National Roads Authority, St. Martin's House,
    Waterloo Road, Dublin 4.
    Tel. 00 353 1 660 2511.

What day is it opening (Please tell me before Thursday)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

tech2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the contractor has corrected that hideous M2 signage on the ADS approaching J29 on the current N7 heading south towards the RAB? Obviously it's supposed to be the M20 in brackets but again another sign is incorrectly done.

Whats the story with junction 26, is it finished now?

Maybe there's a new blackhole that leads to Meath!!! :rolleyes:

irishguy wrote: »
    What day is it opening (Please tell me before Thursday)?

No one knows. We are not gonna be given a date I'd say! It's just gonna be opened to traffic! Hopefully it will open early this week, before the bank holiday weekend traffic!

my guess is friday morning. :(
    i've absolutely no information to back this up - it's a seat-of-the-pants assessment based on the history of this scheme.
    i hope i'm wrong and that it's open today .... but i think it will be friday...
    Deedsie wrote: »
    No one knows. We are not gonna be given a date I'd say! It's just gonna be opened to traffic! Hopefully it will open early this week, before the bank holiday weekend traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Friday will do me nicely anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kkd

Will soon be commuting from Limerick to Kildare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Maybe there's a new blackhole that leads to Meath!!! :rolleyes:

That's what was found at the bottom of the bog. Ancient civilizations used them to travel around Ireland, but 'they' don't want you to know.

A piece of the M7 and a jcb appeared just outside Ashbourne in recent times, but they were quick to remove them to cover up the evidence.

Open your minds people:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 El Gato Grande

Tipperary - The M7 Nenagh/Birdhill Rd is expected to open by early April ico_map.gifsp01.gif Updated: 30/03/2010 12:50:28 The 15.5km stretch of M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill comprises high quality dual carriageway built to motorway standard, with a single carriageway link to the main road at Birdhill and the upgrading of 10 km of the Nenagh bypass to dual carriageway standard. There are two more phases on the M7 still to be completed. The next section from Nenagh north to Castletown will be open in Spring/ Summer. The final section from Birdhill to the Limerick Southern Ring Road will open by the end of 2010.
    :confused:

as discussed previously on this thread and on the M7 Castletown - Nenagh thread ... doubt if castletown to nenagh will open before sept...

and maybe they are telling us birdhill-limerick will open before the end of the year (that's 9 months from now) so that it will be a BIG SURPRISE if it opens any sooner...
    Tipperary - The M7 Nenagh/Birdhill Rd is expected to open by early April ico_map.gifsp01.gif Updated: 30/03/2010 12:50:28 The 15.5km stretch of M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill comprises high quality dual carriageway built to motorway standard, with a single carriageway link to the main road at Birdhill and the upgrading of 10 km of the Nenagh bypass to dual carriageway standard. There are two more phases on the M7 still to be completed. The next section from Nenagh north to Castletown will be open in Spring/ Summer. The final section from Birdhill to the Limerick Southern Ring Road will open by the end of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That was posted here a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Would it be legal for me to cycle the Limerick-Birdhill section if I wanted to see how its going?
    Or is it considered off limits to the public?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Would it be legal for me to cycle the Limerick-Birdhill section if I wanted to see how its going?

Not illegal but its considered private property. Trespassing could be prosecuted as a civil suit but highly unlikely. You would likely be told to p*ss off.

Not alone permission you also require:

Safe Pass
    Hard Hat
    Boots
    Hi Viz

Now, If you decide to cycle it after 6pm / 6:30pm you should be fine because they will likely all be gone home and if there are some left on site just give them a wide berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

As Berty says, you could probably get away with cycling it when the work has stopped. I cycled and walked unopened sections of the M8 a lot last year and no one said boo to me.

Furet wrote: »
    As Berty says, you could probably get away with cycling it when the work has stopped. I cycled and walked unopened sections of the M8 a lot last year and no one said boo to me.

All you get on the motorways or any site for that matter are certain members of the public trying to sell you generators. After a while you just try to ignore people especially if its the annoying H&S Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I walk the section many times at the weekend, lots out doing it.

You'll be surprised by the number of people walking their dog, cycling, and even quads racing up and down the road. There is no problem walking the section outside of work hours.

Just if you're cycling it try to keep visible and keep over to the hard shoulder incase there are few on quads, or even driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

<openstreetmap>Either way, could you bring a recording GPS? :D</openstreetmap>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement