Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Wild Bill wrote: »
    All civil engineering projects are at risk of serious unforeseen obstacles. Let's not get too outraged.

What really annoys me is the attitude of the NRA to setbacks.

When things are going well on a project we get regular updates, progress is explained and a general (deserved) tone of self-congratulations prevails.

When s**t happens the communications, explanations and general information just ceases.

And you start to read things in the newspapers long before it reaches the NRA websites, where updating simply stops. Thus we still read that Project X should be ready for signing/opening in Q2 of 2008.

Even though it is now Q4 2009.

This is not an organisation that does it's communication professionally, despite spending considerable sums of money on it's website.

The minute information becomes misleading or wrong it should be either amended or removed. Immediately; not several years later as per the norms of NRA website "quality control".

I could not agree more Bill. I find it irritating that the NRA even today refer to the Ballinalsoe-Galway section as the N6 rather than the M6.

Press releases dated 09-12-09 on www.nra.ie - I quote -

"Toll Bye-Laws for the N6 Galway to Ballinasloe Motorway"

The person in charge of editing and approving these announcements at the NRA needs to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

VR6 wrote: »
    I could not agree more Bill. I find it irritating that the NRA even today refer to the Ballinalsoe-Galway section as the N6 rather than the M6.

Press releases dated 09-12-09 on www.nra.ie - I quote -

"Toll Bye-Laws for the N6 Galway to Ballinasloe Motorway"

The person in charge of editing and approving these announcements at the NRA needs to get their act together.
    The thing is the road is legally going to be the N6, so all bye laws about tolling etc. have to carry the N6 description. M6 is just a label applied to the N6 top show that it is a motorway. It is different to the UK where the M legally means something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I've been driving the M7 for exactly 11months. The only improvements I have seen:

M7 S.R.R.
    Mountrath being slowly resurfaced on the Dublin side.

That's it.

Sickener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The N/M7 has buckets of improvements lined up:

M7 Castletown-Nenagh (2011)
    M7 Castletown-Portlaoise (2010)
    M7 Nenagh-Limerick (2010 - critically late though)
    N7 Tunnel Project (2010)

At some point in the future:

M7 Oberstown Junction
    M7 Mountrath MSA
    M7 Nenagh MSA
    M7 Widening up to M9 junction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I don't understand what they are doing east of Mountrath. Re-surfaced several 100m stretches (causing 20 minute delays for weeks) leaving equally degraded stretches in between.

Must have been planned based on the 2005 pothole situation. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I don't understand what they are doing east of Mountrath. Re-surfaced several 100m stretches (causing 20 minute delays for weeks) leaving equally degraded stretches in between.

There is a bit of potholes near Pike Rush hall and From Nenagh bypass to the Offaly border. The state of the N7 through Tipperary is shambolic and disgraceful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Based on the state of Galway Ballinasloe this time last year I would think Castletown - Nenagh is 2010 not 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

It was darkish when I drove through there last Friday but there appeared to be some sort of directional drilling machine there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Based on the state of Galway Ballinasloe this time last year I would think Castletown - Nenagh is 2010 not 2011.

The next few months are critical but at the moment Q1 2011 is looking like being the most realistic target. Although there will be an election around the corner then so you never know what shenannigans might be afoot in that regard.

Also despite what the lunatic fringe might think there will be no sectional opening of the scheme for June 2010 to facilitate the Toomevara Scientology Convention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Also despite what the lunatic fringe might think there will be no sectional opening of the scheme for June 2010 to facilitate the Toomevara Scientology Convention.

I'm guessing this comment wasn't directed at anyone on this forum in particular. There's reason to believe it may have been, but I'm hoping it wasn't, because personal insults are unacceptable, and completely unnecessary, really.

I'm not a fan of dealing warnings/infractions/bannings etc. So if it was directed at anyone in particular, please, just spare us both the misery. :(

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    The thing is the road is legally going to be the N6, so all bye laws about tolling etc. have to carry the N6 description. M6 is just a label applied to the N6 top show that it is a motorway. It is different to the UK where the M legally means something.

So why then do they use the term "M3" rather than the "N3" in reference to a similar document on toll bye-laws in a Press release listed on the very same page ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

VR6 wrote: »
    So why then do they use the term "M3" rather than the "N3" in reference to a similar document on toll bye-laws in a Press release listed on the very same page ?

The M3 toll scheme was made with a motorway order - the N6 toll scheme was not - it was one of the newly designated motorways. However, as was said before, there is legally no such thing as a motorway in the ROI, and therefore, no such thing as a road called the M... whatever! All roads that are called motorways here are actually Dual Carriageways (and even on S2) which have been placed under Motorway regulations - so legally, I happen to be an N1er - not an M1er - so from now on, I'll be refering to the N1 and N50...

...NOT!

...to hell with the legal sh*t! :P

Long live the Motorways as we (the ordinary people) know them! :)

Regards!

The M3 toll scheme was made with a motorway order - the N6 toll scheme was not - it was one of the newly designated motorways. However, as was said before, there is legally no such thing as a motorway in the ROI, and therefore, no such thing as a road called the M... whatever! All roads that are called motorways here are actually Dual Carriageways (and even on S2) which have been placed under Motorway regulations - so legally, I happen to be an N1er - not an M1er - so from now on, I'll be refering to the N1 and N50...

...NOT!

...to hell with the legal sh*t! :P

Long live the Motorways as we (the ordinary people) know them! :)

Regards!

OK, that helps a little !!! Thanks for taking the time to explain.
    Let's just hope that the signposts and maps are a little less legalistic or the poor old tourists will be even more confused than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

did anyone hear anything about a young engineer making a mistake on a bridge on this project

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Was checking the AA road map today as they posted the opening of the M9 Kilcullen to Carlow section on the 21 Dec and the M6 Galway section on the 18th.

But they also posted that 7km of the M7 Nenagh bypass will fully open on Thurs, 17th Dec.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=106849

I'm driving to Dublin early on Thursday morning so will let you know if it is opened.

That is the 'old' Nenagh Bypass section only.....which was open all along :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Well it's be only one lane all along, and with a 60km/h speed limit, from Thursday it'll be two lanes for 7km at 100km/h speed limit.

I'm happy to see any of this section open soon, makes the 150km drive home home for me a few times a month a little easier.

I'll be into the wiki with

"The M7 is a Motorway in Ireland that Runs from Nass in County Kildare to Portlaoise in County Laois with a solitary fragment stranded outside Nenagh in County Tipperary, sandwiched between a Bottomless Bog to the west on the Limerick Tipperary border and an Incompetent pack of Iberians to the East..... and there it shall remain until 2011 "

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'll be into the wiki with

"The M7 is a Motorway in Ireland that Runs from Nass in County Kildare to Portlaoise in County Laois with a solitary fragment stranded outside Nenagh in County Tipperary, sandwiched between a Bottomless Bog to the west on the Limerick Tipperary border and an Incompetent pack of Iberians to the East..... and there it shall remain until 2011 "

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

I believe they are prepping to open the Thurles junction! Guess that would be it for the 17th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I thought the Nenagh bypass was going to have 120km/hr limit once opened?

Erbium wrote: »
    I believe they are prepping to open the Thurles junction! Guess that would be it for the 17th.

This will give Mid Tipp better access to the N7 (long overdue) And now all we need is a distrubuter road from there to the Dolla roads. This should be in the towns development plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

mysterious wrote: »
    This will give Mid Tipp better access to the N7 (long overdue) And now all we need is a distrubuter road from there to the Dolla roads.

It certainly is overdue, like so many other things.
    mysterious wrote: »
    This should be in the towns development plan.
    I believe their was/or is an event which aparantly get the people of north Tipp area to have a look at upcoming infrastructure projects and add their input. It was out in the Puckane area if it is of any interest to you!

Erbium wrote: »
    It certainly is overdue, like so many other things.

I believe their was/or is an event which aparantly get the people of north Tipp area to have a look at upcoming infrastructure projects and add their input. It was out in the Puckane area if it is of any interest to you!

Are you serious, Puckane?

There better not be any politicans there! I'll have them warned on this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

So the Nenagh bypass is due to open with motorway restrictions tomorrow.
    Full motorway restrictions will apply. Drivers should take extreme care throughout the day while the temporary traffic management plan is being removed. Temporary Traffic Management (and speed restrictions) will remain in place on both the Eastern and Western ends of this section of Motorway.

Link

Is anyone going to check out the new stretch, I might take a look on Friday to update the thread with a few photos.

tech2 wrote: »
    So the Nenagh bypass is due to open with motorway restrictions tomorrow.

Link

Is anyone going to check out the new stretch, I might take a look on Friday to update the thread with a few photos.

The route is about 7 miles long not 7km on the aaroadwatch link.

This is the best news the N7 had got since the Monasterevin bypass:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Clap Clap Clap. About frickin' time.

I will head out for a look today as Im off today.

What section is actually open anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Berty wrote: »

just the existing nenagh bypass, no other towns bypassed yet

we still have a way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Riskymove wrote: »
    just the existing nenagh bypass, no other towns bypassed yet

we still have a way to go

We have gone nowhere by the sounds of it. I shan't leave the house today so as I know what the bypass looks like because it was already a bypass, just wider with temporary speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Berty wrote: »
    Clap Clap Clap. About frickin' time.

I will head out for a look today as Im off today.

The section that was already open, along wth the Thurles Road junction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement