Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Look what I found for you lucky people. Pictures of the mythical excavator in Drominboy as well.
    Now that is one amazing presentation.
    Question: Is that the solution that failed and is currently being re-done? Drominboy is, I take it, the small section close to Herbert's pub in Ahane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Now that is one amazing presentation.
    Question: Is that the solution that failed and is currently being re-done? Drominboy is, I take it, the small section close to Herbert's pub in Ahane?

Yes, that is the 'solution' that failed in Drominboy. It worked as far as I am aware in Annaholty but the ground conditions were on a different scale.

Yes, it is almost directly across from Herbert's pub. There is a laneway directly opposite which would bring you down to the eastern end of the section by a rather large stream. The bog area extends westwards almost to the next road crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Great presentation - for obvious reasons, the engineering knowledge around working in bogs here has come on in huge leaps in the last 10 years. The Geotechnical Engineering involved in several of the roads projects, and in some other energy infrastructure projects also, has had to be highly innovative. Means that future projects can be delivered quickly and at less cost.

Question - are either of these bogs in SACs?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

another article on the M7 this week in the nenagh guardian.

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=5VT54K

Just drove the Nenagh Bypass. They are currently erecting the ADS and other signage, snagging concrete channels etc. Traffic is using both carriageways with the left hand lane of both carriageways coned off. The gap in the concrete barrier at the Thurles Interchange needs to be plugged. Therefore I would think that the earliest that the bypass could open would be the second week in November.

It would appear that if it does open up then it will be motorway from the overbridge at the top of the hill on the western end of the bypass to about 600m west of the western Nenagh Interchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Another three weeks? Gah :(

The slipform machine for the central barrier was at the gap at the Thurles Interchange this morning. No major activity though. Grass-seeding in the areas that were top-soiled last week. Some more signage still to be erected on the mainline and the slips. Plenty of working going on at the railway overbridge, but I do not expect that to be part of the initial opening of this section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

So when can they get this finished, im so sick of this now its not even funny anymore.

Don't you all laugh!:mad:

:D Why am I laughing now. But seriously this is getting out of hand. 4 years now? Would they just get their finger out and finish. I'm sick of talking about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mysterious wrote: »
    So when can they get this finished, im so sick of this now its not even funny anymore.

The Nenagh bypass will surely be finished soon although there is quite a bit more to do on the tie in with the rest of the M7 scheme west of Nenagh.

I drove through the bypass last night. The reflectors on the concrete barrier are unbelievably good.

Gap in concrete barrier at the Thurles Interchange is 99% plugged now. Signage would appear to be the lest remaining issue along the bypass itself.

• Advertisement

From looking at the overbridge south of Daly's cross today it looked as though there is a overbridge in the distance right over the boggy section at Drominboy. The only access area is across from Herbert's pub on the N7 which is closed by a gate?

Is there an overbridge up this way which will take you over the boggy section?

The continuous yellow line for the hard shoulder is now under the R504 overbridge. The final layer of asphalt has not started on the westbound carriageway yet.

tech2 wrote: »
    From looking at the overbridge south of Daly's cross today it looked as though there is a overbridge in the distance right over the boggy section at Drominboy. The only access area is across from Herbert's pub on the N7 which is closed by a gate?

Is there an overbridge up this way which will take you over the boggy section?

If you turn off at Daly Cross then when you reach the mainline and look south-westwards there is an overbridge. This overbridge is located about 250m NE of Herbert's. The gate, that I presume you mean, is the old road alignment about 100m NE of Herberts. The next road crossing, you turn left (heading towards Limerick) at Walsh (I think) Hitachi garage and cross over the Limerick-Nenagh railway line. This is an underbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

So what's the story with the bog section, are they working on it? Will they have it finished in December.

Are you all getting fed up with this, I know you probably all know at this point I am. This road has been going on since forever. The existing road carries 17,000 vehicles a day and is really busy close to Limerick. It was the first section of motorway to be mooted outside of Leinster going way before the Inter Urbans. And it's now one of the last to open. lol..

Growing up, they were always resurfacing this section of the N7 it's kinda funny thinking back. The old road as busy as it is, is a pretty fine section of S2 road. I am growing impaitent now still with this waiting for the motorway to open.

(throws toys out of pram and sobs)

mysterious wrote: »
    So what's the story with the bog section, are they working on it? Will they have it finished in December.

Yeah a mad flurry of work was going on when I had a look from the overbridge north of the bog today.

It was too wet to walk down from the overbridge to look at it closer. I will try crossing over the local road which is closed off by a gate to see if I can have a look at it from an overbridge which looks to be directly over the bog

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

In todays Limerick Leader it has been reported that the m7 nenagh to limerick will now not open until "early in the new year" according to a spokesperson, this delay is due to the boggy section at Ballinacourty.

The NRA say that the scheme will come in on the agreed cost of €424m.

Motorists who were looking forward to an early christmas present will now have to wait a little bit longer.:mad:

Cant't find the online version but full story available in the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

This started in December 2006 if I recall.
    Even allowing for disputes, bogs etc 3 years to build 25 or 26km ( give or take a few km) is a bit laughable really.

A partial opening from Nenagh bypass to the Birdhill interchange before christmas is looking good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

A partial opening from Nenagh bypass to the Birdhill interchange before christmas is looking good though.

will they bother doing that, id say they will just wait and open it all together

I've heard rumblings that there may be contractual/payment issues that might delay the partial opening of the scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are officially 6 months late already and if Bernard McNamara is good for a bank loan to pay everybody right now I will eat my hat !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

will they bother doing that, id say they will just wait and open it all together

agreed, i heard that last week and thought it the craziest thing i've heard in ages, what would be the point in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

As someone who drives this stretch of road on a regular basis I hope they open some part of it quickly, any reduction in journey time from Limerick to Dublin is welcome.

Why is the Nenagh bypass section taking so long, they have been at that section for years now? Is it due to the pay issues only?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

More concrete being poured today with a hive of activity around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

well i know its taking ages but that nenagh bypass must have been just a headache to get it done, its alright in a green field just digging it out and working away but to widen that stretch of road with the bridges and with the constant traffic, i say fair play to them even though it was dragged out and the messing around with payments but they finally got there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

sonyair wrote: »
    In todays Limerick Leader it has been reported that the m7 nenagh to limerick will now not open until "early in the new year" according to a spokesperson.

I think that has been fairly obvious since at least mid-year. :cool:

Took a drive over 3 overbridges just off the ballnahinch road today and the lining is not done all the way on one carriageway.

Also there is more work to be done on the parking area just north of the birdhill interchange. I would have got a good shot approaching the birdhill interchange but forgot the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I was talking to a guy that would have a fairly senior position involved in the construction and says it wont be open till March 2010. However he does believe there will be phased opening as far as Birdhill before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

Should have givin it to ROADBRIDGE the first day it would have been done long ago.

Not much activity along the Nenagh Bypass this morning. The gap in the concrete barrier at Thurles has been plugged.

Managed to make it down towards Drominboy as well. Couldn't get any closer than the overbridge about 800m away from the bog but got this photo. Plenty of activity but there is zero chance of this section opening before Jeebusfest '09.
    P1000798.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

bawn79 wrote: »
    wont be open till March 2010
    ah come on!!!!
    MARCH????
    At this rate, it looks like the M8 will open first!!!
    (according to M8 thread - expected April 2010)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement