Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

fresca wrote: »
    ah come on!!!!
    MARCH????
    At this rate, it looks like the M8 will open first!!!
    (according to M8 thread - expected April 2010)

M6, M9, M8, M7 in that order. The whole M7 wont be completed til early 2011.

Nenagh to Limerick may well be march although that is a bit too far IMO. Theyve dragged the hell out of it as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

tech2 wrote: »
    Theyve dragged the hell out of it as it is.

Wait until the concilliation/arbitration/high court. This will drag on and drag on for a long time after the road opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I sent an email to NRA last week and they got back to me.

The entire scheme will not open until "early next year", although the section from Nenagh to Birdhill might be open before then.

Oh well, we'll just have to wait.

Wrong thread folks. We have got a good thread going on the Limerick tunnel here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055204021

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Wrong thread folks. We have got a good thread going on the Limerick tunnel here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055204021

who's talking about the tunnel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Several people were before I moved the posts to the right thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

hows it goin? does anyone know what will be the next road project to start construction in Ireland. I am an Engineer and there seems to be nothing to start in Ireland next year.

Also does anyone now where you would find a list of construction companies who are working in London for the olympics 2012. I am looking for work at the moment but I can't seem to find any information as to who is working in London at the moment. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hate to tell you but there IS nothing to start next year bar a vague possibility of the Gort-Tuam road in late 2010 and Newlands Cross 6 months later in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

fresca wrote: »
    ah come on!!!!
    MARCH????
    At this rate, it looks like the M8 will open first!!!
    (according to M8 thread - expected April 2010)

money talks. If this was a PPP it would have been sorted by now and open. I seem to recall there was a similar issue with the Galway to Ballinasloe road going through boggy terrain but it is still going to open ahead of schedule. The down side is Dublin - Galway will cost twice as much in tolls as Dublin - Limerick when it opens. Don't know why they didn't make all the motorways PPP and invest the pension reserve in as a quasi private stakeholder. That way there would be a steady revenue stream in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

I was on the nenagh by pass today, why cant they take away the cones and open up the two lanes, they are finished. Just wondering aswell right at the end of the centre wall at the Dublin side of the bypass they are widening a bridge is that part of the nenagh limerick section or the castletown nenagh section

• Advertisement

solidwork wrote: »
    I was on the nenagh by pass today, why cant they take away the cones and open up the two lanes, they are finished. Just wondering aswell right at the end of the centre wall at the Dublin side of the bypass they are widening a bridge is that part of the nenagh limerick section or the castletown nenagh section

It's not safe to do so yet when the tie in is still a mess on the southern side.

The Arch bridge is being widened as part of the Nenagh to Castletown scheme due to open early 2011, NRA estimate it for Q4 2010 which is unrealistic.

Work is now starting on the southern carriageway of N-L with the final layer of asphalt. Nothing else really, slow progress as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

It's not safe to do so yet when the tie in is still a mess on the southern side.

The Arch bridge is being widened as part of the Nenagh to Castletown scheme due to open early 2011, NRA estimate it for Q4 2010 which is unrealistic.

Work is now starting on the southern carriageway of N-L with the final layer of asphalt. Nothing else really, slow progress as usual.

Can they sunken the road beneath the Arch bridge. I really can't stand the laziness ensuring that there is zero effort in widening these bridges. It's just hideous. We Irish don't like to do things right, we like to do it half right, is it any wonder that we seem to keep coming back to things we just built and futher repair or reconstruct them.

I don't see whats the problem with the N-C scheme. There are moving pretty fast with the Interchange. The Monegall flyover is up and the earthworks there was phenomenonal. i will be out that way next week so I will have a look at the progress. i'd like to see the Nenagh to Moneygall phase section opened, first, therefore Toomevara and Moneygall can be bypassed by summer 2010.

I want to close the main street of Toomevara on a day in summer:D

No I'm not kidding either.

It seems as well that their is going to be a toll plaza just before mountrath is this the only one on the M7 cause i heard their is a possibility of one at Birdhill

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

solidwork wrote: »
    It seems as well that their is going to be a toll plaza just before mountrath is this the only one on the M7 cause i heard their is a possibility of one at Birdhill

no, Just 1 toll at Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What's the deal with the tolls exactly? Couldn't you just follow the old roads past the tolls and join the motorway further down for free? Though I guess if that means driving through Mountrath and or Borris-in-Ossory it might add a lot of time to your journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

What's the deal with the tolls exactly? Couldn't you just follow the old roads past the tolls and join the motorway further down for free? Though I guess if that means driving through Mountrath and or Borris-in-Ossory it might add a lot of time to your journey...

well on the m8 there is a toll around michelstown or fermoy i think but all the slip roads past the tolls have there own little toll plaza so you'd have to go the old way for a good bit (maybe 50 miles) to avoid the tolls, for the sake of €2 i dont think it would be worth the hassle really

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

well on the m8 there is a toll around michelstown or fermoy i think but all the slip roads past the tolls have there own little toll plaza so you'd have to go the old way for a good bit (maybe 50 miles) to avoid the tolls, for the sake of €2 i dont think it would be worth the hassle really

One extra set of slip roads have a toll plaza on the M8 - its about 20km, not 50 miles, that is tolled!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Same on the N7. Heading towards Dublin, hop off at Borris in Ossory, drive along the old N7 and get back on in Portlaoise. Its about 20km on the old road

hop off at Borris in Ossory, drive along the old N7 and get back on in Portlaoise. Its about 20km on the old road

.......... and the worst stretch of the entire N7. Lately there has been numerous potholes appearing along this stretch, I would kindly pay the toll to avoid this and the tight streets of mountrath

I don't think we should paying for tolls at all. I'd pay tolls if this country had a proper road system. Not just glorified motorways all going to Dublin..

So any phase of the M7 opened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

MYOB wrote: »
    One extra set of slip roads have a toll plaza on the M8 - its about 20km, not 50 miles, that is tolled!

i was driving so fast it seemed like 50miles, i was only on the m8 once a few months ago so sorry for not being totally sure, just thought id explain that they have tolls on slip roads too

yea it is similar on the M6 going west you come off in kilcock and get back on in kinegad. But to be honest i'm a believer that if your moving away at the speed limit on the motorway that your going to save the couple of € that you would spend on the toll, as apposed to travelling through little villages.
    Just to get back on the topic of the thread, any update on the opening of the nenagh bypass. Will we hear it here first or will it be a national media thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

i take it the Bog of Doom still stands stands between us and road opening...

There was a crash at the Five alley a few hours ago. Cops were at the other side of the bypass warning drivers. So it could be nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Anybody have any updates on the opening of Nenagh - Limerick or even the Nenagh - Birdhill bit?

Surely to god at least the bit to birdhill will open by Christmas????

Anybody have any updates on the opening of Nenagh - Limerick or even the Nenagh - Birdhill bit?

Surely to god at least the bit to birdhill will open by Christmas????

Most of Nenagh - Birdhill is lined and studded on the eastbound carriageway. Wearing course only starting now on the westbound carriageway(as of last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

The Nenagh Guardian has it this week the the M7 will not open til March/April 2010 due to the unforseen problems with lands around Lisnagry,

Also the is very little chance of the Nenagh bypass opening as a fight has broken out between North Tipp co co and lead council Limerick over some matter including a safety audit not being produced.

So the next time a politician knock on the door let him/her wait 18 months because your stuck in the bog too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ki wrote: »
    The Nenagh Guardian has it this week the the M7 will not open til March/April 2010 due to the unforseen problems with lands around Lisnagry,

Also the is very little chance of the Nenagh bypass opening as a fight has broken out between North Tipp co co and lead council Limerick over some matter including a safety audit not being produced.

So the next time a politician knock on the door let him/her wait 18 months because your stuck in the bog too!

you'd wonder how it could be unforeseen when everyone has known about it for two years, if they couldn't get the schedule right over that time it's pretty poor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Pretty much the same report in the Tipperary Star today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

ki wrote: »

That scheme seems a complete farce - look how it compares in terms of timing to both the M6 and M8 motorways! :(

Regards!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement