Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate your Zombie movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

ShadowGal wrote: »
    just spotted this, may have been posted before

http://www.trashvideo.org/zmdb/view/index.php?page=list&type=&mode=&key=&start=

lots of good movies in there

Niiiiiiiiice! Started my own list sometime ago for the ones I wanted to acquire/watch. I have it in a googledoc currently. Maybe share it out later. That site you posted is pretty nifty tho - thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Niiiiiiiiice! Started my own list sometime ago for the ones I wanted to acquire/watch. I have it in a googledoc currently. Maybe share it out later. That site you posted is pretty nifty tho - thanks!!

your welcome, im watching La Horde tonight and ive got some beers chilling, im on a movie blitz as im on my summer leave from work :D

heres another good list (may contain badly made sci-fi movies) but at least you get the year on all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_films

My list of Zombie/Apocalypse movies list is here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoGFOTKn3uHwdDNVaEJCcUd2TmJOUVJrQzV6OHFvZmc&hl=en&authkey=CLnGjvcM

I've not added a bunch that I've watched or discovered lately so I need to get it updated. And this was just my personal list for what I want to check out. If anyone wants access to add/change/update just PM me with your gmail addy and I'll add ya on.

My list of Zombie/Apocalypse movies list is here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoGFOTKn3uHwdDNVaEJCcUd2TmJOUVJrQzV6OHFvZmc&hl=en&authkey=CLnGjvcM

I've not added a bunch that I've watched or discovered lately so I need to get it updated. And this was just my personal list for what I want to check out. If anyone wants access to add/change/update just PM me with your gmail addy and I'll add ya on.

nice list, ive seen a few and missed a few. have you seen REC ? i liked it and i got to see REC 2 recently, its a direct follow on,a bit mad

• Advertisement

nice list, ive seen a few and missed a few. have you seen REC ? i liked it and i got to see REC 2 recently, its a direct follow on,a bit mad

Yeah - first REC, Spanish version, is great! Loved it. The American remake not so much but was ok'ish. I have REC2 at home but have just not watched it yet. I hope to soon. Just wrapping up Dead Set first.

Yeah - first REC, Spanish version, is great! Loved it. The American remake not so much but was ok'ish. I have REC2 at home but have just not watched it yet. I hope to soon. Just wrapping up Dead Set first.

i havent watched the American versions. you might like 2 (im sayin nothin) get back to me sometime when you do

i havent watched any of dead set, good ? what are the zombies like in it ?

i havent watched the American versions. you might like 2 (im sayin nothin) get back to me sometime when you do

i havent watched any of dead set, good ? what are the zombies like in it ?

Yeah I plan on checking out REC2 for sure.

I'm really enjoying Dead Set. Had noticed it before but the idea of the series didn't grab me as I positively HATE reality TV. But they way they handle it is very well done. Couple episodes left. Zombies are fast movers, which I don't care for but it seems to work ok.

Yeah I plan on checking out REC2 for sure.

I'm really enjoying Dead Set. Had noticed it before but the idea of the series didn't grab me as I positively HATE reality TV. But they way they handle it is very well done. Couple episodes left. Zombies are fast movers, which I don't care for but it seems to work ok.

you dont like that fast movers ? i love them. nothing gets me more petrified then a few hundred zombies charging towards the camera and always inches away from someone :D

Nah I'm a slow and steady zombie fan. I'm ok w/ fast movers like 28 weeks later as they aren't zombies, per say. But REAL zombies outta be slow IMO.

Simon Pegg sums up my thoughts better than I ever could... Exert from the full article found here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set

"...More significantly, the fast zombie is bereft of poetic subtlety. As monsters from the id, zombies win out over vampires and werewolves when it comes to the title of Most Potent Metaphorical Monster. Where their pointy-toothed cousins are all about sex and bestial savagery, the zombie trumps all by personifying our deepest fear: death. Zombies are our destiny writ large. Slow and steady in their approach, weak, clumsy, often absurd, the zombie relentlessly closes in, unstoppable, intractable.

However (and herein lies the sublime artfulness of the slow zombie), their ineptitude actually makes them avoidable, at least for a while. If you're careful, if you keep your wits about you, you can stave them off, even outstrip them - much as we strive to outstrip death. Drink less, cut out red meat, exercise, practice safe sex; these are our shotguns, our cricket bats, our farmhouses, our shopping malls. However, none of these things fully insulates us from the creeping dread that something so witless, so elemental may yet catch us unawares - the drunk driver, the cancer sleeping in the double helix, the legless ghoul dragging itself through the darkness towards our ankles.

Another thing: speed simplifies the zombie, clarifying the threat and reducing any response to an emotional reflex. It's the difference between someone shouting "Boo!" and hearing the sound of the floorboards creaking in an upstairs room: a quick thrill at the expense of a more profound sense of dread. The absence of rage or aggression in slow zombies makes them oddly sympathetic, a detail that enabled Romero to project depth on to their blankness, to create tragic anti-heroes; his were figures to be pitied, empathised with, even rooted for. The moment they appear angry or petulant, the second they emit furious velociraptor screeches (as opposed to the correct mournful moans of longing), they cease to possess any ambiguity. They are simply mean."

• Advertisement

Nah I'm a slow and steady zombie fan. I'm ok w/ fast movers like 28 weeks later as they aren't zombies, per say. But REAL zombies outta be slow IMO.

Simon Pegg sums up my thoughts better than I ever could... Exert from the full article found here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set

"...More significantly, the fast zombie is bereft of poetic subtlety. As monsters from the id, zombies win out over vampires and werewolves when it comes to the title of Most Potent Metaphorical Monster. Where their pointy-toothed cousins are all about sex and bestial savagery, the zombie trumps all by personifying our deepest fear: death. Zombies are our destiny writ large. Slow and steady in their approach, weak, clumsy, often absurd, the zombie relentlessly closes in, unstoppable, intractable.

However (and herein lies the sublime artfulness of the slow zombie), their ineptitude actually makes them avoidable, at least for a while. If you're careful, if you keep your wits about you, you can stave them off, even outstrip them - much as we strive to outstrip death. Drink less, cut out red meat, exercise, practice safe sex; these are our shotguns, our cricket bats, our farmhouses, our shopping malls. However, none of these things fully insulates us from the creeping dread that something so witless, so elemental may yet catch us unawares - the drunk driver, the cancer sleeping in the double helix, the legless ghoul dragging itself through the darkness towards our ankles.

Another thing: speed simplifies the zombie, clarifying the threat and reducing any response to an emotional reflex. It's the difference between someone shouting "Boo!" and hearing the sound of the floorboards creaking in an upstairs room: a quick thrill at the expense of a more profound sense of dread. The absence of rage or aggression in slow zombies makes them oddly sympathetic, a detail that enabled Romero to project depth on to their blankness, to create tragic anti-heroes; his were figures to be pitied, empathised with, even rooted for. The moment they appear angry or petulant, the second they emit furious velociraptor screeches (as opposed to the correct mournful moans of longing), they cease to possess any ambiguity. They are simply mean."

very interesting. you know Romero got his ideas for his zombies from watching people in supermarkets, he said they walked around hopeless like the living dead (something like that)

ya i see your point, still love my sprinters though :)

right i watched la Horde, it was enjoyable but i thought the story sucked a little. i liked the zombies though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Watched La Horde Last night

unfortunatley I couldnt figure out the aspect thingy on my TV so I couldnt see most of the subtitles :( However it was feckin Great still, I could really picture cyberwolf as trhe french cop on the Roof of the Car in the Basement, EPIC Death, or the Aulfella with the GPMG :D:D:D

Overall very good, even the Sprinter detail didnt bother me too much.

Watched La Horde Last night

unfortunatley I couldnt figure out the aspect thingy on my TV so I couldnt see most of the subtitles :( However it was feckin Great still, I could really picture cyberwolf as trhe french cop on the Roof of the Car in the Basement, EPIC Death, or the Aulfella with the GPMG :D:D:D

Overall very good, even the Sprinter detail didnt bother me too much.

i liked it, there are just one or 2 bits i had a few problems with. suppose i shouldnt post and spoil it for everyone else :-) i think i was a little harsh on the story line. i liked the old man in it myself

On the topic of La horde

are we to Presume it to be some kind of 28Hours later vibe, where the 'infection' has spread through the chunnel, the Jacket of the DVD specifically mentioned Rage Infection and they did share striking similaraties to the 28 days/hours Z's

On the topic of La horde

are we to Presume it to be some kind of 28Hours later vibe, where the 'infection' has spread through the chunnel, the Jacket of the DVD specifically mentioned Rage Infection and they did share striking similaraties to the 28 days/hours Z's

ya i think so, it started suddenly or so we were led to believe and they definitely looked like they had the rage *resists urge to talk about plot*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Watched Day of the Dead remake last night and while I was expecting it to be bad I wasn't ready for the absolute cringe inducing awfulness of it. This was without doubt one of the worse zombie movies I have ever seen and I have watched some stinkers in my time.

I have no idea what the director of this turd was even thinking. He had a great premise and opportunity to make something good or at least passable but he decided to go down the well worn path of the teeny horror movie circa 1995. Every bad movie cliche is included in this celluloid abortion, every tired and over used horror trick done and redone. It looks like something that an unsure first timer, who has been thrown in at the deep end would produce, a scared kid who realises that he is in over his head and thus rips off b-movie staples of the signposted cheap scare and the absurd plot contrivances in the hope that he will reach the end of the shoot still in a job.

If this was the case then it could be forgiven but the director Steve Miner was nearly 60 when this turd was polished and shipped out the door. There is absolutely no excuse in this day and age when talented filmmakers are chomping at the bit for a chance to make a film with a decent(ish) budget and I hold the financiers and producers of this film wholly responsible for giving this hack control of this project. Heres what imdb had to say about the man:
    Steve Miner is not one of Hollywood's most popular directors, but has had a very popular career in making films and remains one of Hollywood's most prolific directors
    I won't put this man in charge of a parking lot never mind let him helm a movie production. About a third of the way through I honestly though that the director was making a spoof, that he was taking a swipe at the movie industry by making a parody that included some of the worst offenses in moviemaking. Two minutes later I came to the sad realisation that no, this guy is being serious and is actually trying to make a straight up horror movie to the best of his ability, sweet jesus.

What were the thought processes that led the people behind this movie to think it was going to fly. They had a good premise, isolated small town that has become infected with zombie making stuff, military quarantines the area (the Crazies anyone), go from there. Where did they go, well they changed the nature of the zombies so that nearly anyone at anytime could turn, when set on fire they go up like tissue paper and oh yeah they can climb walls and ceilings like they are Jackie fooking Chan, oh and the infection will turn you into a ravenous monster unless you were a vegetarian or "nice" guy before you were infected.

Who did they think would want to see this, zombie fans would be appalled and the dumb teeny date movie crowd probably won't go see it anyway. I am amazed that this embarrassment of a script was even written let alone filmed.

Everyone, from the teaboy to the stars (Vign Rhames, why oh why :() to the "director" should be wholly ashamed of themselves for their part in this project and if there was any justice in the world they should have been sent back and told to remake it so it was slightly less sh!t. This movie actually made me angry and I didn't even pay money to see it, if I had I would probably have thrown the DVD out the window in a fit of rage. In this day and age how can this be seen as acceptable, how can they justify asking for money for this without feeling a twinge of remorse.:mad:

*END RANT

Edit* I did like the idea behind the sickeningly obese DJ though, how he would have fared would have been an interesting concept to explore but the director focked that up too:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Having played Left4Dead for months on end with french people who would basiclly leave the game or run off and try to rambo solo while their 3 teammates were half a mile behind him, suddenly get jumped and blame the 3 other guys for his/her mistake, or the typical 'Things arent going my way so i'll just teamkill everyone' people.. who 9times out of 10 for me were french.

I watched the first half hour of La Horde and just couldnt bear to see it through to the end as i was thinking of all those french people who'd run away etc.. in L4D.
    Tough frenchmen are a myth. Sorry if that sounds racist, but in my experiance to date, its true.The funny thing is if the characters had of been german, spanish chinese, or anythign but french, the film could have been good.

lol sorry if this has put anyone off seeing it, as i have had really lousy experiances with french people my opinion of the film is completely biased based on those experiances. And hey, i only watched a half hour of it..

Oddly enough
    No Frenchmen survived
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

Watched Day of the Dead remake last night and while I was expecting it to be bad I wasn't ready for the absolute cringe inducing awfulness of it. This was without doubt one of the worse zombie movies I have ever seen and I have watched some stinkers in my time.

I have no idea what the director of this turd was even thinking. He had a great premise and opportunity to make something good or at least passable but he decided to go down the well worn path of the teeny horror movie circa 1995. Every bad movie cliche is included in this celluloid abortion, every tired and over used horror trick done and redone. It looks like something that an unsure first timer, who has been thrown in at the deep end would produce, a scared kid who realises that he is in over his head and thus rips off b-movie staples of the signposted cheap scare and the absurd plot contrivances in the hope that he will reach the end of the shoot still in a job.

If this was the case then it could be forgiven but the director Steve Miner was nearly 60 when this turd was polished and shipped out the door. There is absolutely no excuse in this day and age when talented filmmakers are chomping at the bit for a chance to make a film with a decent(ish) budget and I hold the financiers and producers of this film wholly responsible for giving this hack control of this project. Heres what imdb had to say about the man:
    I won't put this man in charge of a parking lot never mind let him helm a movie production. About a third of the way through I honestly though that the director was making a spoof, that he was taking a swipe at the movie industry by making a parody that included some of the worst offenses in moviemaking. Two minutes later I came to the sad realisation that no, this guy is being serious and is actually trying to make a straight up horror movie to the best of his ability, sweet jesus.

What were the thought processes that led the people behind this movie to think it was going to fly. They had a good premise, isolated small town that has become infected with zombie making stuff, military quarantines the area (the Crazies anyone), go from there. Where did they go, well they changed the nature of the zombies so that nearly anyone at anytime could turn, when set on fire they go up like tissue paper and oh yeah they can climb walls and ceilings like they are Jackie fooking Chan, oh and the infection will turn you into a ravenous monster unless you were a vegetarian or "nice" guy before you were infected.

Who did they think would want to see this, zombie fans would be appalled and the dumb teeny date movie crowd probably won't go see it anyway. I am amazed that this embarrassment of a script was even written let alone filmed.

Everyone, from the teaboy to the stars (Vign Rhames, why oh why :() to the "director" should be wholly ashamed of themselves for their part in this project and if there was any justice in the world they should have been sent back and told to remake it so it was slightly less sh!t. This movie actually made me angry and I didn't even pay money to see it, if I had I would probably have thrown the DVD out the window in a fit of rage. In this day and age how can this be seen as acceptable, how can they justify asking for money for this without feeling a twinge of remorse.:mad:

*END RANT

Edit* I did like the idea behind the sickeningly obese DJ though, how he would have fared would have been an interesting concept to explore but the director focked that up too:mad:

i really enjoyed reading your rant stickey fingers :D

have you ever thought of becoming a movie reviewer :p

im going to take your advice and give this one a wide berth

• Advertisement

Finally Found a Copy of Dead Snow.

I dunno, Smart Nazi Zombies that can Run, and Use Weapons :eek:

In a Situation like that I'd be gettin mself a LSSAH uniform fair Sharpish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I wasnt impressed with Dead Snow to be honest. On the note of Nazi Zombies, I watched outpost (not technically zombies) a few nights ago and thought it was pure muck :(
    Thanks everyone for some great suggestions on here. I'm gonna check out La Horde, The quiet earth, dead next door, undead or alive and last of the living over the next few days. I doubt my missus will be too impressed. As for my choices, I loved NOLD, Return of the living dead, braindead, Dead set and both versions of Dawn of the Dead. I agree with Simon Pegg's sentiments posted earlier about Sprinters but I dead enjoy them in dawn and dead set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Don't know if you can get this in the Republic but Dead Set is on youtube (4OD). For those who don't know it is an excellent zombie series that deserves watching:

http://www.youtube.com/show/deadset

Hope the link works, if it doesn't it is worth getting on DVD, it's that good

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Picked up a few today.

Walking the Dead

Siege of the Dead

and my fav

Zombie Women of Satan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Watched Siege of the Dead, not a bad movie at all, had the right tempo and atmosphere for a Zed movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not a zombie movie but some good tips in From Dawn Till Dusk about weapons and notes the importance of dispatching those who will soon turn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well i saw the horde...very bloody but worth a watch. i really like pontypool except the end and i dont know why i like it but i do. some of it creeps me out.

i do like the new dawn of the dead, not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs so to speak but quite by accident i watched it right thru the credits, there is loads more to it then the 'happy ending'.

thanks to everyone for the other tips...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Watching the original dawn of the dead now (74?), dam those people would never survive z day. They take ridiculous chances, grappling with zombies, punching them etc instead of blasting them with a bullet to the head!
    Well worth watching though, nearly done :P

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Colin, this looks quite interesting

Trust me, it's not! The best bits in that film are basically all in the trailer. Some of it will just leave you thinking, WTF !??

• Advertisement

I enjoyed Colin. New perspective for a Z movie.

Keep in mind they made it for something like $300 USD... so not too shabby at all in my book.

Advertisement