Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great run RK, well done, you're in taper mode now! Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done RK, your training has been great. Cant wait to meet at the start hopefully and if not the pub afterwards.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

6 miles this evening, felt absolutely shattered from about mile 2. Think it's just a bit of residual tiredness from the weekend. Ah well, **** happens.

4 miles this evening (10.04/mile pace), felt relatively comfortable, if a little tired. I think the 20 miler took an awful lot out of me at the weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

I hear ya. My runs this week have been getting exponentially tougher. I think I sort of forgot that you still actually had to keep running once you got to taper stage...

• Advertisement

Intended to do 12 miles today, but stopped after just over 6 (10km in 59 mins approx). Head just wasn't there at all, went off way too fast, that obnoxious little hip niggle decided to revisit, and I'm a bit pissed off with myself now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sorry to hear that RK. Not feeling the best today(ear and throat a tad sore) but went out anyway and felt like for 80% of the run that i was in a coma state. It's all a bit of a blur. I don't know how i didn't collapse or something cos i slightly feel like death now ... roll on the 26th!

Woohoo, finally a run that didn't suck large hairy monkey balls! 4 miles @ 9.10/mile pace, felt bloody great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Woohoo, finally a run that didn't suck large hairy monkey balls! 4 miles @ 9.10/mile pace, felt bloody great :D

You have a great way with words rk ;), nice running

5 miles this evening, was going along just fine and peachy until I got the worst case of runner's trots ever! Had to make a pitstop into a pub... *blush*

• Advertisement

4 miles this evening (~10min/mile pace, forgot my watch - timing against the track listing of a Dream Theater album ftw :pac: ), felt really nice to get out on a cold, crisp evening :D

I think my mojo may be coming back a bit... or maybe I'm just glad to get away from the HUGE assignment I'm working on for Monday!

8 tomorrow, we shall see how that goes...

Didn't get that 8-miler done at the weekend, GOD DAMN COLLEGE WORK! :mad: Finally submitted that assignment at 3pm yesterday and came home to vegetate. i'd been working until 11pm every night for the previous 5 nights to get it done. Ouch.

4 miles tonight, with a fairly quick finish after it started pissing rain! (9.34/mile pace overall)
    Totally don't feel ready for Monday. I know it's taper nerves, but I've got the whole "wish I'd run more miles, wish I'd done more long runs, blah blah blah" thing going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Deep breaths..... all will be well on Monday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You'll be great. Everyone is feeling equally nervous at the moment, with exactly the same thoughts running through their heads. The work's done, just hang in there for the next few days. As soon as you cross the start line, everything will click into place.

3 miles this evening (10.00/mile pace). Not my best, not my worst, not a particularly big confidence builder, but meh - noob mistake, I ran when very hungry, which is something that really doesn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck on Monday Rainbow. You've done so much hard work and I hope you have a great race and enjoy the experience.

Just got all the stuff ready for morning, set the alarm for 5:30 to give me time to eat a huge breakfast at an appropriate time too. All I've got left to do now is panic...

Good luck to everyone who's running tomorrow, hope you all do brilliant :)

Best of luck tomorrow RK, you've done loadsa training so have faith in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck RK, thanks for all the support. We will ROCK! Hope we bump into each other at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Thanks for the best wishes.
    Good luck to you too.
    Speaking from a perspective of a "second timer", my only regret (I wish :rolleyes:) from last year was that I didn't take time on the day to enjoy it more.
    So my only advice to you would be to enjoy the day as best you can. It's a great experience!

• Advertisement

DCM 4:28:10 gun time :D

I'm absolutely shocked, and thrilled, and delighted, with going sub-4:30. Never thought I could.

Saw a few boardsies this morning before the race, got a lift in off Gerard65 today and then met up with Bally8 in the baggage area. Started with her, with the intention of sticking with the 4:30 pacers for as long as I could, but went out slightly quick (9.40 for mile 1). Ended up losing her when she took her first walk break, and quite quickly hit my happy pace after that. Miles 3-16 were all in the 9:55-10:10 minute range, and I hit halfway in about 2:14. Got a bit of a shock when I realised that the High5 gels on the course were of the isotonic caffeinated variety - I really don't like caffeine or isotonic gels while running (despite my general caffeine addiction) so I had to avoid them.

Things started to hurt more at about mile 18-19, and Foster's Avenue is the spawn of Satan incarnate. Also got very sick of gels after about mile 20, I'd intended to take one at around 23-24, but I honestly could not stomach a fifth gel today. Survived to the end anyway, with a little help from a mars bar! Chocolate when running is a bit evil though...

I finally had a look at my feet a couple of minutes ago, surprisingly enough all 10 toenails are still intact despite the fact that I thought I felt the nails lift off on two toenails when running (left at mile 22, right at mile 25). It remains to be seen though whether those nails will last the week.

That was the most painful, tiring, stressful, emotional rollercoaster I've ever done. I ****ing loved it, and I'll be back next year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant RK , cracking running.. testament to all your hard work :D

Just to add - chip time 4:24:56...

Sub-4:25 :D

Just to add - chip time 4:24:56...

Sub-4:25 :D

RK, that is absolutely outstanding, brilliant running, you better celebrate hard when the legs come around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Woop woop! Fcuking fantastic, I hope you are over the moon. Fair play to you and all your hard work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well Done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Brilliant work!! Must feel amazing to get your time!! You kicked my ass anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

OMG Rainbow, great time!!! All the hard work really paid off.

I think Chocolate and running sounds like a great (yet still evil) combo :D

Definitely treat yourself now to some nice relaxation and hope those toes stay intact ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great run RK, delighted for you. You put the hard work and dedication in and it paid off. I was hanging around for a while to see if you wanted a lift home but I could'nt see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Brilliant running again! Congrats! Enjoy the moment.

Advertisement