Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Not worth risking injury at this point RK! The half is next Sun right?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Saturday 26th! Gonna see how things are tomorrow, if it's ok tomorrow I'll do another 6 miles.

Ended up taking yesterday off, I have the startings of a cold too, and I really didn't feel like testing both that and the hip niggle at the same time. Did 6 miles this evening (9.48/mile pace overall - took 4 miles easy, then stretched things out for the last 2 miles), felt fine. Still keeping an eye on things though, because the cold and a slight sore throat are still there too.

At the moment, all systems are go on Saturday, but will be ready to change tactics if the cold develops into something or I'm having hip hassle.

So... the half in the park this morning. Wasn't entirely sure how to pace this, because I've had a cold knocking around for most of the week and I wasn't sure if my fitness would be up to scratch because of that. That said, I missed a run this week because of said cold and it may have given me a sort of mini-taper!

Decided to start in the 120+ wave, I tend to be honest about this sort of thing and I was expecting 2:05-2:10 so I went close to the front of wave 3. Looking back I probably should have started close to the back of the 100-120 minute group, but meh. Anyway, starting in wave 3 gave me a bazillion moving chicanes to dodge in the first mile, someone needs to beat most of the walkers with a clue-by-four until they start to understand basic race etiquette. If you are walking a 15 minute mile, you're getting in the way of people significantly faster than you if you are jumping to the front of the 2 hour wave!

Ok rant off. Stupid people do not do my rage any good. Neither does the apparent lack of a 1 mile marker! Couldn't see it at all, and I do kinda rely on that to get an idea early on of how my pacing is going (in fact, I actually prefer races marked in km for that reason). Either way, decided to keep on truckin' at a "comfortably quick" pace, and finally got an idea of where I was when I hit 2 miles in just over 18 minutes. Some of the parts on the footpath near around 5 miles were a little awkward, almost came to a standstill right at the top. Started doing a little calculation when I hit 7 miles in 1:04... "Hmm, if I can run 6.1 miles in 55 minutes I can go sub-2, this is going to hurt like hell but ah sure why not!". Was able to hold on to roughly 9-minute pace for the next while anyway, passing a lot of people at this stage and scarcely believing that the sub-2 could be on. Hit 10 miles in 1:32 (5 minutes faster than the Frank Duffy...) and knew then that it was mine to throw away at this stage. 28 minute 5k? I can do that. Kept my head though my legs were burning, threw in a bit of a sprint finish for good measure, and crossed the line in 1:58:57 by my watch, which the chip time scrubbed another 2 seconds off. 9.05/mile pace, just shows that my speed endurance has improved quite a bit, compared to the Clontarf half 3 months ago (2:17:35 then, I think).

Definitely the most satisfying of the race series to date, best t-shirt colour (I *love* royal blue) and to get a 18-minute PB over the 13.1-mile distance is an absolutely amazing feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done RK,i am delighted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done RK. Bet you're thrilled. :)

Well done RK. Bet you're thrilled. :)

I think this just became Stupid Grin Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congratulations! You deserve a sub-2 after all your work, delighted for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Outstanding running rainbow kirby. 18 minute improvement over a half marathon is just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

WELL DONE!! It must have felt great beating your PB by so much. That's progress :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

super running pay day for all the hard work you have been doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

shels4ever wrote: »
    super running pay day for all the hard work you have been doing.

This ^ * lots.

Great, great performance and richly deserved. Now will you stop refering to yourself as slow, because you clearly aren't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    come on RK, we all know you are going to break 2 hrs;)

Well done RK. I told you so!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant RK:D. like anyone actually doubted you'd go sub 2 :cool::p

littlebug wrote: »
    Brilliant RK:D. like anyone actually doubted you'd go sub 2 :cool::p

I think it's just me that doubts myself all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

I think it's just me that doubts myself all the time...
    Hopefully all this running is helping with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

hooray!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Congratulations on the sub 2! See you were told you could do it and you did it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wow you go girl! What a brilliant result. You are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Absolutely thrilled for you! Fantastic and very well deserved result! I've gotta pull my socks up now or you'll be running past me very soon!

• Advertisement

Didn't sleep much last night but woke up with a crapload of energy this morning. Decided to go for my run at 8am, which turned out to be a very good choice! 5 miles @ 9.05/mile pace, that felt goooood and I'm amazingly awake without coffee. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Great performance at the weekend, well done. Logs like yours are a great inspiration for newbies like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wow Rainbow Kirby, well done, you must be very proud!! All your hard work has paid off.

I really enjoy reading your updates.

10 miles this evening (10.21/mile pace), in hindsight I may have been better off leaving this until tomorrow. On the other hand though, I have an assignment due for college on Thursday that I haven't been able to start (oh the wonders of Blackboard) so it's possibly a good thing that I'm taking a "rest" day tomorrow!

Didn't feel like going out at all tonight, felt wrecked when I got in because it's been a long, stressful week in college (and will be for the next while, got a differential equations midterm test on Tuesday :eek::mad: ). Glad I got out though, 5 miles (9.40/mile) and it felt like a really nice night to be out - even though I felt like absolute ****e for the first mile. Mind over matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Didn't feel like going out at all tonight, felt wrecked when I got in because it's been a long, stressful week in college (and will be for the next while, got a differential equations midterm test on Tuesday :eek::mad: ). Glad I got out though, 5 miles (9.40/mile) and it felt like a really nice night to be out - even though I felt like absolute ****e for the first mile. Mind over matter...

no matter how bad college/work is 40-50 minutes can always be found and makes a world of difference, good stuff outta you

So I did the 20 miler today (3:30:16, ~10.30/mile pace), that was painful. Went off way too quickly (first 4 miles in 39 minutes) by mistake, and really paid for that later on. Hamstring started getting a bit stiff after about 9 miles, but after stopping for a little stretch then and after that doing a little stretch every time I had to cross roads it was nothing to worry about. Felt pretty ropey by mile 14, and felt like my legs were being slowly dragged through a meatgrinder at mile 16. Kept going though, only to get home and realise I'd forgotten my keys and my little brother was too busy having No-Pants Sunday to open the door for me. Blargle.

Glad that's over... but based on that the thought of the marathon is scaring the **** out of me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done on the 20 miler. Don't worry about the marathon the adrenaline will carry you through. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thats a fantastic run. Getting that distance done is a hell of an achievement, at least I think so ;). I am sure on the day it will be much easier for us with all the crowds and the other runners.
    Did you do much of the marathon course? How did you find it?

• Advertisement

Ended up just using the area near my house (3x 6 mile loop, plus an out and back to a pub that's 1 mile from my house) because I was worried about getting injured a long way from home. Might do some runs during taper on the later sections of the course, as most of y'all know I'm in UCD so it's fairly easy to get the end of the course in on a relatively handy run.

Advertisement