Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck with your lsr today... hope you feel better.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Finally. FINALLY. 6 relatively quick miles (9.24/mile). Lovely evening for running and it felt feckin' great. :D

4 nice easy miles (10.15/mile pace) this evening - good music and good weather makes life good :)

I think this song sums up my training well...

Rush wrote:
    One day I feel I'm on top of the world
    And the next it's falling in on me
    I can get back on
    I can get back home
    One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel,
    And the next it's rolling over me
    I can get back on
    I can get back home

12 miles this evening (10.19/mile) - pretty comfortable on a lovely evening for it :)

Probably should have brought a second gel though, felt a bit low through the last mile.

10k race on Saturday now, let's see how this goes... not looking for anything special, but anything sub-hour would be really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Shadyladee

Good luck with the race RK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Best of luck, based on your recent 5 mile time you should be well under the hour;)

In theory yes, but to be honest I feel like I've lost some speed since the injury at the start of August. Sub-hour should be fine, but really at this stage I should be looking at sub-55 and that ain't gonna happen. I haven't done a sub-9 minute mile in ages, let alone 6.2 of them!

So... Pearl Izumi Run Sweat Like An Animal 10k today. My home race, it's so nice to be living less than a kilometer from race headquarters (also handy when I realise after getting there that I've forgotten my sunglasses but can just run home and get them).

Today was also one of the very few races where I've gotten the eternal question of what to wear exactly right, my Frank Duffy bellytop and a JJB bargain tennis skirt proved to be a good choice for the bloody awesome weather. It was also my first time ever racing without my headphones, after we were requested not to use them for safety reasons. That felt weird, but in a way I think I may have done better without them because I was more focused on my race rather than on Dream Theater lyrics. I think the iPod may make a return for the half in the park though.

Went off way too quick at the start of the race, going through 1km in 4.55 and hitting 2km in around 10 minutes. I blame the big downhill run from the start! One possible psychological disadvantage about running so close to home is that you know precisely when every single hill is coming, so knowing when you get to Mortons that you have a 2km uphill climb ahead is a bit of a downer. Held the pace as much as I could, and went through 5km in 26.27 (just outside my official 5k PB of 26.22), did some little mental sums and worked out that I had a bit of time in the bag for the second lap. 2nd lap felt a bit tougher, particularly on the Firhouse Road climb, but I tried to keep things motoring for as long as possible. Went through 8km/5 miles in 43.15, and knew at that stage that the PB was very much in the bag. With a little bit of a sprint finish, I crossed the line in 53.55 (by my watch). Not sure what the official time will be, but it's a rather substantial PB for me because my previous best was 58.02 from the Great Ireland Run back in April.

Happy kirby is happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

but really at this stage I should be looking at sub-55 and that ain't gonna happen. I haven't done a sub-9 minute mile in ages, let alone 6.2 of them!

Amazing what races pull out of you isn't it? Well done on a cracking time. Just goes to show that all those miles in the bag are more important that a bad week (or two). Unfortunately I couldn't make it like I had planned due to injury. Hopefully I am back on the right track for the half in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Rainbow.. and a Rush fan at that. I'm impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done RK, I think you're due some form of confectionary and ice cream.

asimonov wrote: »
    Well done RK, I think you're due some form of confectionary and ice cream.

Y'know, I like the way this man thinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Smashing run, your improvement is amazing, keep up the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Astounding improvement on your previous PB. Congrats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fantastic result RK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant, well done on your PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great running RK! Well done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Congrats, great run! Perfect day for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great performance yesterday well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well done yesterday. Apologies I didnt get to meet you yesterday. I didnt see you after I had showered to say hello. Next time :D

• Advertisement

So back to the grind...

14/9 - Cadetship physical fitness test, 1.5 miles in 11.12 (7.28/mile). I didn't know I could go sub-8 for a mile...

15/9 - 5 miles very easy without my watch. Some nice chilled out peaceful running, felt a bit tired towards the end. Spent a while wondering why I felt so tired, then remembered that it's most likely a combination of the 6.00am wake-up and the blood tests this morning...

9 miles at a comfortable pace this evening (10.28/mile). Didn't use any water or gels, felt a bit tired by the end but I do think I need to teach myself to go for longer without fuel.

Feels very time-consuming for a college night though, I could have done with a shorter run and some more studying... :(

Bloody knackered this evening, but forced myself out the door anyway. 3 miles at a relatively easy pace (10.20/mile) - let myself off a mile this evening because of Monday's efforts, today was my 4th day in a row running. Day off tomorrow, need to do a bit of college work!

18 miles today (in around 3:14)... that was damn hard. Followed the usual pattern for my long runs - for the first third my brain will not shut the hell up, then it goes into "mile-eating mode" after about 5-6 miles, feel great until about 12 and then everything starts to hurt. I'm still amazed that I was able to keep going after 15 miles with so many things screaming at me. :eek:

Pretty damn satisfying to have it done though, and I'm REALLY tempted to head down to the shop and grab some Ben and Jerry's ice cream to treat myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Massive run RK, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pretty damn satisfying to have it done though, and I'm REALLY tempted to head down to the shop and grab some Ben and Jerry's ice cream to treat myself. :)

Go get that Ice cream you deserve it. Your run sounds just like mine. Mile 12-18 was also my definition of hell on earth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done RK great running out of you. Is it ok that Im massivly jealous?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running RK. On long runs it can be more mental than physical. You seem to be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Well done RK on your great race at the weekend!! You deserved a big tub of Ben & Jerry after that one!

• Advertisement

6 miles this evening, forgot to stop my watch so I don't know about time or pace but I think it was somewhere around 10.30/mile. Meant to do 9, but I felt a twinge in my right hip and I didn't want to risk things, plus I run past my house at the 6 mile mark so I thought that seemed like a good place to stop.

Advertisement