Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The dream is alive, I can run up the hills every night..."

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*stretches out*

That was a damn nice run today. Just over 7 miles (10.00/mile pace), and felt very comfortable throughout. Knee behaved itself too, thankfully. Looking forward to the 10 mile next weekend, even though I'm not supposed to race it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Excellent RK, great to see you back out there:)

4 miles this evening, relatively easy pace (10.24/mile). Spent the whole time convinced it was going to lash rain, thankfully the rain held off until I got home!

My knee didn't feel 100% right today though, not painful, but just weird. This worries me.

6 miles this evening (10.18/mile pace) on a beautiful evening for running. Damn, I love running just after it gets dark.

MapMyRun tells me I burnt 666 calories. I'm evil :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

6 miles this evening (10.18/mile pace) on a beautiful evening for running. Damn, I love running just after it gets dark.

MapMyRun tells me I burnt 666 calories. I'm evil :)

Well done RK, you are similar to myself with regards the running, its a great buzz to be able to run more than you ever did before, I broke my 9km hoodoo last nite and I smiled all nite :) Sad I know!!

Well done, keep it up! :)

• Advertisement

Penance run... I'm hung over to bits today (drinking with college friends last night, there were pitchers, and I hadn't drank for ages before this!), and I think my Great Ireland Run shirt now reeks of beer sweat. 3 miles (9.40/mile pace) of trying to burn last night out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Carbo loading for Sat - nothing wrong with that! Its what I'll be doing tonight:D

So, the 10 mile race in the park this morning...

I was a bit nervous about this. My knee had decided to misbehave yesterday and was being stiff and a bit annoying for most of the day, but I chose to put that down to it being the day before a race. Looked out the window this morning at 6.45 when my alarm went off and just thought "F*ck you and your 10-miler, Frank". Dragged myself up anyway, and headed out in the craptacular early morning rain. Made a last-minute call to wear shorts rather than capris, because I figured that if it was raining for the entire race the shorts would be less material to get waterlogged. Thankfully it stopped raining before the race, and there was only one relatively brief shower during the race.

I personally thought the start worked well today, I was honest and got myself into the 90+ minute pen, near the front of it. I started off relatively easy, because I really wasn't sure what state my knee was in, and I took it relatively easy for the first while. I said to myself that if it was tempremental I'd take a DNF at 5 miles, thankfully that didn't happen and I was rather comfortable by the halfway point. Hit 5 miles in 51.15 (10.15/mile pace) and picked things up a bit from there. Went quite a bit faster in the second half, ran the second 5 miles in 46.29 (9.17/mile pace) for an overall chip time of 1:37.44 (9.46/mile pace overall). Given that I was expecting to finish in around 1:45, and that I was quite prepared to drop out of the race if my injury had flared up, I'm very happy with that time.

My only major niggle with things was the water stations. Seriously. Is it SO difficult to hand out 250ml bottles of water, rather than give out cups? The cups seemed to bring people to a dead stop at the water station and they are much more difficult to run with. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Looked out the window this morning at 6.45 when my alarm went off and just thought "F*ck you and your 10-miler, Frank".
    lmao at that one, had the same feeling! Well done on your run, great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

racheljev wrote: »
    lmao at that one, had the same feeling! Well done on your run, great time.

+2!!

Well done RK on your great time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play! Great result! Onwards and upwards, don't let the knee hold you back!

xebec wrote: »
    Fair play! Great result! Onwards and upwards, don't let the knee hold you back!

Onwards and upwards indeed! Gonna head back to the physio this week anyway just to check that everything is ok, but I was managing just fine today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

great running RK.. well done :) I'm delighted the knee held out for you. There you see the benefits of easing yourself back in gently.

Well done RK, you could have paniced and kept running before when you were injured instead you must have had the patience of a saint to take the time off. Now look where you are. Excellent stuff!

3 miles this evening to try and get the legs going again, ended out going out slightly quicker than intended (9.45/mile pace). Legs felt fine until I stopped, then felt a little tired. Eating a load of dates now, hope this doesn't result in runner's trots tomorrow!

7 miles this evening at a relatively comfortable 10.24/mile pace. It's very weird (but kinda cool) to think of 7 miles as an easy midweek run. Thinking I'm going to run 12-13 this weekend, because of the injury I haven't done more than 10 miles since my half and I don't want the 15 miler the week after that to be a huge jump.

In other good news - surviving the 10 mile race at the weekend reasonably well means I don't have to go back to the physio until I get injured again \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Great news rk, well done on sat aswell

3 miles today, was meant to be 4 but a bird shat all over my right shoulder after 2 miles. Only my rather boyish haircut saved me from getting a hairload of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

3 miles today, was meant to be 4 but a bird shat all over my right shoulder after 2 miles. Only my rather boyish haircut saved me from getting a hairload of it!

Haha! :p Why should that stop you?! It's supposed to be lucky!! I can only laugh because it's happened to me so often before - including one time requiring a full change of clothes by the side of the road in Northern Spain, that feckin pigeon mustn't have gone for days!! :rolleyes:

Long run today, just over 13 miles in about 2:20. Felt good most of the way through, apart from noticing a very slight twinge in my dodgy knee about 5 minutes before I got home. Gonna rest that tomorrow and ice it, and hope it behaves itself.

• Advertisement

4 miles today, forgot my watch, felt tired and my left hamstring was a bit tight. Down with that sort of thing.

6 miles this afternoon in just over an hour, meant to do 7 but had to cut it short to make sure I got out to meet up with someone on time. Will do a mile extra on Friday now.

5 miles today (9.04/mile). Just went off at a comfortable pace, and was wondering after 4 miles "why do I feel slightly more tired than normal?". Looked at my watch and realised that I was about a minute per mile faster than I thought I was going... Good times :D

Just made delicious chicken fajitas for dinner too :)

Longest run *ever* today - 15 miles in about 2:38 (10.32/mile pace). I think I may have discovered that there's only so much of the caffeinated Lucozade Sport I can drink before getting the jitters :pac:

Well done RK. We might get to run some of the marathon together- you will probably leave me for dust as the miles go on but maybe I will hang on for some:D

Haha no, I think you'll be the one who's leaving me for dust!

4 miles this evening (10.30/mile pace) that almost didn't happen. Almost fell asleep in my chair at about 8pm, only to be woken by a friend ringing me to say that he was outside my house with several jars of fresh blackberries that he'd picked while up the mountains on his motorbike :D

So I'll be making pie this weekend, I'll be needing that 16-miler to burn it all off!

****ty run today :(

Set out to do 8 miles, but never felt comfortable from the time I left my house, and just felt completely drained. Decided to stop after 6 because I really did just feel like crap. :(

Dunno what could have caused it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Hang on in there! You've been putting in some mega-mileage over the past few weeks/months so no wonder sometimes some days are tougher than others :)

• Advertisement

The only good day of the weekend (according to the weather forecast anyway), so I wanted to get out for my 16-miler today. Of course, Kirby can't get everything her own way. I have doom-level cramps and really don't feel like moving far from my bed. :(

Gonna try and get up early tomorrow and get out...

Advertisement