Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I agree that the Panel last night was fairly rubbish, though I only got to see the last half seeing as some brilliant numnut in RTE decided to clash the programme with 8 out of 10 cats (far far superior to the Panel).

Ray D'Arcy was a bit tiresome. That Jarleth guy is not funny. Maybe he is on stand up or something that doesn't include interaction with people, but he wasn't funny last night. The girl that was one (can't remember her name) was also a bit serious, but better than Jarleth to watch. Delamare and Colin were both their usual funny-enough selves.

The Panel was brilliantly funny with: Dara O'Brien or your man Colin, or Delamare hosting and with Andrew Maxwell and even Ed Byrne (more funny because everyone picked on him) on the "teams". Actually, does anyone know the name of the woman that was pregnant the last time? She's actually a very decent participant on the show. The only funny woman I've seen on Irish TV.

The blonde one with the thick common accent and tits ?? (Mairead Farrell - husband is head of advertising for Today FM) Yeah she was alright, funniest thing she said was that she went into a chemist on O'Connell st once to get a pregnancy test and the chungwan behind the counter said "have ye sensative breasts ?" . apparently sensative breasts means yer preggo according to this young woman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mairead_Farrell_(Irish_radio_presenter)

The following is my preferred list of panellists :
    • John Bishop
    • Dermot Whelan
    • Ed Byrne
    • Maxwell and or Delamare - together they're a bit much but they're not strong enough to hold the show on their own so you really need someone decent to drown out their shtt jokes.
    • Colin Murphy
    • Mairead Farrell - Seoige was quite good on it but can't see her doing it while she's still doing that awful Live @3 show.

George Hook was quite good on it, I like him. It's obviously just a money issue, once these Irish comedians get gigs in the UK and get TV over there, they're gone! I'd love to see Frankie Boyle on the Panel, that'd give it a good kick up the arse, mind you RTE doing something good for once would be shocking.

The Panel is clearly being catered for the Prime Time crew now, current affairs but with a few sh!t jokes thrown on top. I can see it almost becoming apologetic for things like the "financial/credit/recession crisis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Bad alright. It really seems to be sinking. How can you have a comedian chatshow and only have 2 of the 5 pannelists commedians ?

It has become like watching someone you love die: You remember the good times when they were at their best :You want them to get healthy again: You give them every chance, and play along that all is normal, but deep down you know its only a matter of time. You feel sad for them, and down at how they have been reduced from their prime. You cling to the vain hope that maybe they will get better. While simultaneously hoping that the end will come quick and painlessly rather then extending the agony for everyone.

While DO'B was a severe loss, it was possible to survive without him. But only with the rest of the A team playing. The token girl becomes an even greater unaffordable luxury and should be jettisoned for the survival of the rest. Shame to see it fade away like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Awful. Darcy sank without trace. It needed Maxwell and Bishop/Byrne badly.

Hardrain wrote: »
    Awful. Darcy sank without trace. It needed Maxwell and Bishop/Byrne badly.

I second this. I wonder if they'll want more money now that it's moved to RTE 1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Just watched this online and knew there would be a big thread about how bad it was on here, Dry balls sucked the life out of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

As a big fan on the show I was greatly disappointed. The ad for it was terrible, and the total opposite of what it denounced. I can't remember one swear in it.

My friend went to it live without cameras and said it was a non-stop laugh with cursing and rude jokes.

Darcy is a plonker. What the hell kind of presenting was that for the panel? It's not fcuking Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

krudler wrote: »
    that chart sketch is completely stolen from Demitri Martin:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmahD_EbHY

except his is actually funny

Not stolen, maybe a little borrowed. But that sketch is the funniest thing I've seen for ages, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'm surprised that Sean Moncrief's name hasn't been swashed around as a possibility for the host.

Bring back the DFTG days!

Either that or bring back Dara O'Briain.

Or something similar.

I'd like to see Moncrief. Gondalez was great.

There's a "Best of the Panel" dvd coming out, I just saw an ad on RTE 1. Moncrief was on that late night panel discussion show on TV3 the other night. He was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Perfect Panel Would Be:

Dara O'Brien hosting.

Neil DeLamere
    Colin Murphy
    Dylan Moran
    Tommy Tiernan
    Joan Rivers

Now that I would watch ^

Ray D'arcy? That nice girl? Grainne Seoige with her notepad and pen? Behave. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Was Dylan Moran ever on either the Panel or Dont Feed the Gondolas ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Was Dylan Moran ever on either the Panel or Dont Feed the Gondolas ???
    Dunno, but he's the wittiest Irish comedian around along with DeLamere and O'Brien.

K4t wrote: »
    Dunno, but he's the wittiest Irish comedian around along with DeLamere and O'Brien.

It's not on his IMDB page anyway. On a side note, Moran had a film out this week (or last) which wasn't released in the UK yet he's currently doing a big tour of the UK with no Irish dates even announced (aside from one in Belfast). The guy's been living in Edinburgh for years now.....

I call shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

This weeks episode of the Panel was officially the worst I've seen ever! Even worse than when Fiona Looney was on it! D'arcy's an opinionated git, so having him host a comedy show was a huge mistake. If anyone saw his appearance on Podge and Rodge last year, they'd know that the guy hasnt got a sense of humour at all. Btw, did he mention the Panel on his radio show this morning? I kept the radio off, so I wouldnt have to listen to 3 hours of his sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It was so disappointing. :(

Myers is not an appropriate guest. Actually he is credited as "correspondent" in the credits. Does this mean Myers will be on regularly, like every week? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

D'arcy ruining things again? No surprise there really. The words, "Die" and "In a fire" spring to mind.
    The Blame Game takes over as Ireland's best panel game then....never thought I'd ever say that.
    How can you put Myer's in a comedic setting? That's a joke in itself...

Myers was on it before. Maybe abuot a year or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

The Panel is godawful. I hated Dara O' B. Delamere is useless, Ed byrne is a joke in himself. Andrew maxwell is as funny as Dave McSavage. Colin Murphy can be ok at times but where the **** did yer wan from the ray darcy show get her comedy credentials ? Shes as funny as a heart attack. Nice tits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't get the venom against Darcy. He stayed silent for the most of it. As good as any other episode. I like the panel. I like the banter, the comedy, it's a very good show and Darcy is a good host.

Yer one on it though. Whats her name, I think she won he young scientist award. she's class. Like a regular sized chested Sophie Howard but with brains (I'am assuming because she won YS). Hot as ****. Want to see more of her on the tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't get the venom against Darcy. He stayed silent for the most of it. As good as any other episode. I like the panel. I like the banter, the comedy, it's a very good show and Darcy is a good host.

Yer one on it though. Whats her name, I think she won he young scientist award. she's class. Like a regular sized chested Sophie Howard but with brains (I'am assuming because she won YS). Hot as ****. What to see more of her on the tele.

She won the Rose of Tralee. It's slightly different from the Young Scientist Award.

But she did study science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

In general I like Ray D'arcy but he wasn't great in that episode, in fairness. I tuned out during the Kevin Myers conversation - himself, Myers and Aoibheann Ni Shuillabhain (can't spell her name :o) were just rambling. And him shushing Colin Murphy - what the hell? :confused:

The Panel just isn't the same without Dara O'Briain. I like Neil Delamere and Ed Byrne. Colin Murphy and Andrew Maxwell are hit and miss. John Bishop is just annoying. The "token" female panellists are usually crap (apart from Pauline McLynne who was good when she was on it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I like Neil Delamere and Ed Byrne. Colin Murphy and Andrew Maxwell are hit and miss.

I find Delamere to be a twat on the panel usually which is strange because he shines on Blame Game (maybe the nordies humour suits him better)...Byrne I can't stand on anything, except maybe Mock the week.
    Maxwell and Murphy? Brilliant both of them, although Murphy was far better on Blizzard of Odd...Maxwell just suits my own personal sense of humour to a tee...I'd say he was as necessary a fixture on the Panel as O'Briain tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

D'arcy was **** when he was interviewing Duke Special. Just kept talking and talking and talking anWAIT A MINIUTE I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS EXPLAIN and so on and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Only RTE could take a show like the Panel and turn it into that sort of mess.....D'Arsey just makes you cringe when he's rambling on like that.......Aoibheann or whatever her name is, just felt like mouthing off against the budget....???????? Like we can't hear enough about that latetly.....she ain't there for her humour thats for sure..
    Looks like they're tryin out the Have I got news for you formula.....are there enough guest presenters in Ireland that can do this...?? Hopefully they put the worst out first..

I'd agree Seán Moncrieff could rescue this disaster..
    But please Grainne 'Pain in the H*le' Seoige...:(:(:(:eek:

Does it have to be that rubbish now its on prime time RTE1.....???
    Move it back to Two if they're afraid of offending the Joe Duffy/Gerry Ryan audience.........Next they'll have Brendan Grace presenting it in his never grows old drunken routine.......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Why the hell is that Aoibheannn one on it?? She is NEVER funny.... never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

They always have a girl on it. Must be small print in RTE equality programming or something. They realised a long time ago that trying to find a witty female just wasnt going to happen, and so they said well, if she isnt going to say anything worthwhile, at least she can look pretty while sitting there. Aoibheen (or whatever) is just the current wannabe pretty female TV 'personality' available.

After watching Q and A tonight, I think they're trying to gear The Panel in that direction somehow. Bertie will be on the Panel next, just wait you see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

the panel is the same as always,not great but not brutal.

Mock the week has very little to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Panel,in and my opinion,and knowing that comedy is subjective has NEVER EVER been funny.

It is so lazy and unfunny and peopled by a bunch of sell out cnuts.

As sponsored by Harp,Carphone Warehouse,The Lotto ads......

There is no such thing as edgy comedy in RTE bar a pair of culchie puppets and thats not even that good.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

This episode may be better. Andrew Maxwell is on.
    Then on the other hand, so is Mairead Farrell and Grainne Seoige.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement