Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If they get Moncrieff to host it, they would have to have Brenadan O'Connor as a guest and maybe Monica Looley from Ahascragh could make an auld prank phone call. Ah good memories, I say bring back Don't Feed The Gondolas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bumbletumble

I thought the Panel was light entertainment???? chear the country up in these hard times.....when the feck did it turn into a politics show????JESUS!!!! Marty was ok he at least wasnt doing a Darcy!! AKA trying to be funny and boring the tits of the viewers!! who is the "host" next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 frank2005

I've been a fan of the panel for a long while but tonight just made me cringe!!Marty was unfunny and uneasy, looked like he really didn't wanna be there! I really fail to understand why Mairead Farrell is on the programme. She contributes very little and what she does contirbute is not in the least funny...why is she on it? Because she's a bit of totty (not even appealing totty, unless your a sheep farmer in donegal) same goes for Aoibheann Ni Shuileabhan when she's on, even though she can be a bit witty. RTE really need to get the act together on this or else they are truly going to ruin a goos show!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Someone please shoot Jardeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bumbletumble

unfunnest person get flogged live on the panel (if it was live) not that might bring back some entertainment!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone notice how threads about RTE shows tend to get visits from "one-shot posters"

One might suspect a TV3 fifth column at work.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 frank2005

I'm a one poster as I joined back in 2005 but never used the site and never posted on it...until now!! Hope to one day emulate your 38000 odd posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

frank2005 wrote: »
    I'm a one poster as I joined back in 2005 but never used the site and never posted on it...until now!! Hope to one day emulate your 38000 odd posts...
    Every one of them odd indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its becuase lots of people watch rte and tv in general more then post on internet boards, so occasionaly they see something on rte they want to post about.

not enough maxwell, and then maxwell asked the same question he asked last week.

a bit of variety in guest then bringing on another politcal commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Man I'm annoyed. RTE (or whoever produces the show) have managed to ruin one of my favourite shows. Its actually bordering boring!

The guest presenter thing just isnt working. They need to have a COMEDIAN presenting it and if they feel the need to have a non-comedian, at least there'll be four who are.

One thing I've noticed which is now blatant is how rehearsed some of the items are. Pathetic.

Ray - really brutal. Grainne - ok but looked really hot :). Marty - almost as bad as Ray.

Come on. Please next week have four from Ed Byrne, Andrew Maxwell, Colin, Neil Delamare, Daragh O'B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

To be honest i thought marty did a fairly good job. Not a fan of his in general, in fact i think he's sh*te but last night he did a good job. Way better than D'Arcy and Seoige anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

hacx wrote: »
    Also, again with Jarleths fuxing charts?
    Who is he anyway?

I didn't think it was too bad this week. The only way is up from Ray (my childhood memories of The Den are slightly tarnished), and I don't particularly like Gráinne, but Marty wasn't too bad. It's still no where near it's original standards unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Agree with Foster there, I thought Marty did a grand enough job. He was fairly unintrusive, let the whole thing flow, the consummate professional and all that. A millions miles better than D'Arcy and your one from last week. However, it is still not the bastion of comedy it once was. Plus, because of it's weird timing, I end up missing half of it 'cause 8 out of 10 cats is more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

could the problem be that the comedians just are not funny?

Just a thought

raven136 wrote: »
    could the problem be that the comedians just are not funny?

Just a thought

The problem is with the production/direction of the show. But as a side note Maxwell/Jardeth aren't funny and Delamare is only briefly interesting. He's on the Northern Irish show "The Blame Game" and he's alright there. Murphy is pretty good usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

As much as I dislike Marty, I thought he was ok last night presenting the show. I only caught the 2nd half mind, but I wasn't put off watching it. I think that Jarlath guy is ok, Maxwell is a bit forgettable at the moment, don't know whats happened him, is he on detox or something?

The editing was very off, they cut right through Maxwell at one stage that it made it look like the show was pieced together like a badly made 1950's sci-fi.

Dara O'Brien isn't coming back. The BBC saw his potential and sniped him from us. RTE are really going to have to search high and low for some new talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Has anyone asked Sean Moncrief?

I reckon if we just asked him he'd do it. TBH they seem to be giving the position out to anyone who crosses RTE's door..

I'll text him next week and see if he's up to anything :pac:

I reckon he's rather comfortable on Newstalk. Just listening to him there and the guy has it easy. He was fecking talking to some woman priest earlier and then finished his shift wafflin about movies and wine!!

Why the hell would he want to try and whip Maxwell ,Jardeth and Delamare into shape ?
    He was on nightly news with that ugly King of the Comb-over the other week....
    The Panel would be a step down imo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Should we read anything into the lack of Colin Murphy for the first time in living memory on Thursday's episode?

RTÉ do seem to be doing their darnest to kill The Panel, with the move to RTÉ1, Thursdays, and the generally more serious tone. Injecting a more serious tone into what is after all a comedy show is never a good thing...

Funny Moncrieff should be suggested - the Panel is the nearest thing to a spiritual successor to DFTG (which died a quick death once Moncrieff left, a much quicker one then the one The Panel seems to be getting). If O'Briain won't come back, maybe RTÉ should hire Moncrieff to save the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Just cancel it. Its no good since left DOB left, Delamere is not funny, Farrell has nothing going for her, they are only have Indo and Times columnists as guests. Its cack now.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Why are RTE so good at ruining every comedy show they make?
    The English Class should be resurected.
    A Scare At Betdtime - Gone
    I Dare Ya [Had potential] - Gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why hasn't Maxwell House grown a moustache like the rest of them? Is it because he knows it would just look like the weak pencil-line effort of your typical 14 year old scanger or rather because he just prefers to retain his current image of a sexless freak?

Pigman II wrote: »
    Why hasn't Maxwell House grown a moustache like the rest of them? Is it because he knows it would just look like the weak pencil-line effort of your typical 14 year old scanger or rather because he just prefers to retain his current image of a sexless freak?

I don't think the guy's hit puberty yet :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

caught the repeat tonight and jesus, is it me or are we getting really ****e recession TV?

I fear this is how it's going to be for years. Or maybe it always was this bad...

TV3 is basically ITV by another name, plus a few imports. RTE1 and RTE2 are basically crap. When did any of their shows have a decent guest? The Panel seems to have about 1 decent show in every 3.

Gekko wrote: »
    caught the repeat tonight and jesus, is it me or are we getting really shite recession TV?

I think you just hit the nail on the head .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ardal O'Hanlon set to take over, according to the Tribune...

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/nov/23/the-diary-ken-sweeney-holy-god-dougal-becomes-full/

Could be just what the show needs...

ardal o hanlon as sharp as a sponge

Dougal has host ? I'm interested. Not the sharpest tack in the box and as a comedian I didn't like him and when he was tracing his family history I was bored to tears.

Still though, it could be worse, it could be very worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ardal O Hanlon is a marked improvement, in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement