Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Zzippy wrote: »
    Project further delayed, plans won't be submitted until at least May...

Nearly two years behind initial schedule. Was originally meant to be submitted by end of Q3(September) 2016.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

marno21 wrote: »
    That's actually not too bad. I was expecting mid summer

On a serious note, I'd rather they sent in a watertight application because anything that'll facilitate an objection will only delay the project and lengthen the time until construction with appeals etc

This project is going to be an objection magnet so may as well get it right the first time

Linking the length of time taken to the "watertightness" of a project is placing a lot of trust in the people involved, without any evidence to date of their competence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Linking the length of time taken to the "watertightness" of a project is placing a lot of trust in the people involved, without any evidence to date of their competence.
    In an article in January, Galway County Council (who are the lead authority on this project) committed to making the project as resilient to challenges as possibke

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0123/935319-galway-bypass/

Whilst timelines may have slipped, I doubt this objective has changed.

In an article in January, Galway County Council (who are the lead authority on this project) committed to making the project as resilient to challenges as possibke

If you lived in Galway you might have less faith in GCC actually achieving that aim. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If you lived in Galway you might have less faith in GCC actually achieving that aim. ;)
    At least it's not the City Council...

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    At least it's not the City Council...

I hear ya, but have you seen the state of the N59 the last few years? Or the size of the potholes outside my house! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

So wait another 10 years? I disagree - need to start converting people into other modes right now.

Hush now, you'll slow or stop the CPO gravy train. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some news:
    A final meeting with An Bord Pleanála to close out the consultation process with them is expected within the coming weeks. The planning application for the N6 Galway City Ring Road will be submitted to An Bord Pleanála shortly after this consultation process is complete.

When the planning application is submitted to An Bord Pleanála, the statutory process will begin and legal notification will be posted to all property owners that have property proposed to be acquired as part of the project. The legal notification will comprise of an individual letter and server map (drawing showing lands to be acquired). At that time a submission can be made to An Bord Pleanála on the proposed acquisition of the property as part of the Motorway Order/Protected Road Order or on the Environmental Impact Assessment Report. The planning application documents will be available on the project website and in hard copy in Galway City and County Council offices.

A further Bulletin will be uploaded in May 2018.

Finally this will go to ABP in May 2018. Looks like this will be the M6 as far as the N59 and a protected regional road beyond there. Some sensible decision making there.

I hear ya, but have you seen the state of the N59 the last few years? Or the size of the potholes outside my house! :D
    Council + TII have been trying to get Oughterard-Clifden done, in fact it would be under way right now if it weren't for Maam Cross-Clifden being denied planning by ABP and Oughterard-Maam Cross requiring negotiating with the NPWS (National Parks & Wildlife Service) before proceeding. Maam Cross-Oughterard will begin in 2019 with the first 6km east of Maam Cross as far as Bunnakill proceeding first.

Some news:
    Finally this will go to ABP in May 2018. Looks like this will be the M6 as far as the N59 and a protected regional road beyond there. Some sensible decision making there.

Is "N6 Galway City Transport Project" on boards.ie an offical spokesperson for the project?

• Advertisement

Is "N6 Galway City Transport Project" on boards.ie an offical spokesperson for the project?
    No, they have no presence on boards. It's just a quote from the N6 Galway City website.

No, they have no presence on boards. It's just a quote from the N6 Galway City website.

OK - thought the BOARDS.IE search was broken when I went searching.

So this is the source.
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-3/bulletin-15-update-of-project-timeline-26042018/

Council + TII have been trying to get Oughterard-Clifden done, in fact it would be under way right now if it weren't for Maam Cross-Clifden being denied planning by ABP and Oughterard-Maam Cross requiring negotiating with the NPWS (National Parks & Wildlife Service) before proceeding. Maam Cross-Oughterard will begin in 2019 with the first 6km east of Maam Cross as far as Bunnakill proceeding first.

So let me get this straight, in a discussion about whether GCC have the competence to do everything right to make the project resistant to challenges and get past ABP, you're highlighting an example of GCC not getting a project past ABP. You're kinda making my argument for me... ;)

http://connachttribune.ie/final-plans-for-proposed-city-bypass-to-be-published-next-month/
    "
    It’s hoped final plans for the proposed new corridor for Galway City Ring Road project will be printed next month.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

http://connachttribune.ie/final-plans-for-proposed-city-bypass-to-be-published-next-month/
    "
    It’s hoped final plans for the proposed new corridor for Galway City Ring Road project will be printed next month.
    "
    Hoped? It either is or it isn't....:angry:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,302 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

"
    "

Will this be subject to appeals etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Yes, many.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,302 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Yes, many.

It'll be interesting how quickly they are dealt with after the Apple fiasco.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Will this be subject to appeals etc?

Of course it will. The number of houses proposed to be demolished in the City area alone is substantial (40-50), unless they are going to get huge buyouts? A multiple of 5 the no of houses demolished for the M18/17 and it is about 1/4 the length of that motorway scheme.

This will be a fruitcake magnet in addition to the people who have valid objections.

Thankfully they made the decision to demolish houses in the interest of a proper effective scheme rather than the mess that was the M17/M18.

• Advertisement

This will be a fruitcake magnet in addition to the people who have valid objections.

Thankfully they made the decision to demolish houses in the interest of a proper effective scheme rather than the mess that was the M17/M18.

Isn't it funny how they can tunnel under a racecourse and a quarry but they can't do it under houses or sports pitches. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Isn't it funny how they can tunnel under a racecourse and a quarry but they can't do it under houses or sports pitches. :rolleyes:

Not really. It will be cheaper to CPO the houses rather than tunnel under them, and it will be cheaper to tunnel under the race course rather than buy the whole thing.

It's not as if this is the first major scheme that needs to CPO houses. It happens every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

Not really. It will be cheaper to CPO the houses rather than tunnel under them, and it will be cheaper to tunnel under the race course rather than buy the whole thing.

It's not as if this is the first major scheme that needs to CPO houses. It happens every single time.

Not the first but possibly the highest house acquisitions / km ratio!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Not the first but possibly the highest house acquisitions / km ratio!
    AFAIK one of the previous designs would have taken out 4 houses. However, that came at the expense of environmental protection.

That sounds a little fruity to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

....... rather than the mess that was the M17/M18.

The mess with the M17/M18 was it was built over 100 km too far north, and in the wrong counties, and should have been called the M20.

If it had been, it would be a lot busier.

That sounds a little fruity to me.

Can you rephrase that please ?

The mess with the M17/M18 was it was built over 100 km too far north, and in the wrong counties, and should have been called the M20.

If it had been, it would be a lot busier.

As someone who uses the N20 4 times a week and the M17/M18 4 times a year I agree.

The M17/M18 would be more beneficial if it integrated Galway. It seems more geared to bypass Galway than serve it. Limerick, Cork and Galway are the core elements of the Atlantic Corridor. The aim should've been to connect these, not bypass any of them. Prioritising Limerick's connection with Tuam over Limerick's connection with Galway is ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The M17/M18 would be more beneficial if it integrated Galway. It seems more geared to bypass Galway than serve it. Limerick, Cork and Galway are the core elements of the Atlantic Corridor. Prioritising Limerick's connection with Tuam over Limerick's connection with Galway is ludicrous
    I thought the M17 was explicitly designed to carry traffic transiting the region (ie travelling back and forth between Sligo/Castlebar/Westport and Limerick/Munster). It's not prioritising a Limerick to Tuam connection, it's prioritising a Munster to the West/Northwest connection (which requires significant further work on the N17 in County Sligo).

• Advertisement

Can you rephrase that please ?

The idea that you think the current proposals are "a proper effective scheme". The delays alone putting it to planning show that it is nothing of the sort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement