Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores to be sold

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i bought it.

there.

you happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Michael Jackson has just been spotted in a Dunnes Stores in Dublin.

Apparently he heard the boys underwear was 50% off .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hopefully, some huge changes will be made, like getting rid of all the extra managers that every store seems to have. Also they should have a rule to prevent staff from doing their shopping whilst in a dunnes uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

l was talking to a cashier in Dunnes yesterday , and happened to comment on the fact that she didn't look at all well ( dreadful would be more like it ), when she ups and tells me she has the flu.
    So l ask her could she not get some time off to go to the doctor?
    She replied that " you can go to the doctor and get a sick note, but when you present it in work you get a warning". Do that 3 times = 3 warnings and then you are out.:eek:
    How the hell can Dunnes get away with treating their staff with such disregard.
    /Shame on Dunnes.

Disgraceful indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

l was talking to a cashier in Dunnes yesterday , and happened to comment on the fact that she didn't look at all well ( dreadful would be more like it ), when she ups and tells me she has the flu.
    She replied that " you can go to the doctor and get a sick note, but when you present it in work you get a warning". Do that 3 times = 3 warnings and then you are out.:eek:
    /Shame on Dunnes.

they're lucky not to face legal action over that, not just the bullying the staff into not taking sick days, but putting every customer at risk of catching the same illness

Last week I was out sick from work for the first time in over 2 years, could very easily have been caught off her or another member of staff who is scared of ringing in sick

If i were you I'd have advised the staff member to do it 3 times, get sacked, and then sue them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

/Shame on Dunnes.

Yeah I worked in Dunnes last year during christmas and mostly spent my time outside. I caught tonsillitis twice within two weeks and had to miss eight days of work (I couldn't even eat christmas dinner :eek:), all supported by a Doctor's Certificate. Naturally I got a couple of warnings and it was brought up in every evaluation from then on as if I was skiving off like some lazy bum.

****ing Dunnes...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Yeah I worked in Dunnes last year during christmas and mostly spent my time outside. I caught tonsillitis twice within two weeks and had to miss eight days of work (I couldn't even eat christmas dinner :eek:), all supported by a Doctor's Certificate. Naturally I got a couple of warnings and it was brought up in every evaluation from then on as if I was skiving off like some lazy bum.

****ing Dunnes...

l don't understand how they get away with it, the person l was referring to has been with Dunnes for over 15 years.:(
    No exaggeration she looked like she was about to burst into tears, l felt so sorry for her.

15 years?

I dont think I'd want to work 15 minutes in a place like that

Some of them look like they have spent all their working life in Dunnes. As a result they become institutionalised and crochety. I get screamed at because I select my milk form the back of the fridge not wanting to buy the day old stuff at the front.
    "How dare you mess up the display!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Hmm in my Dunnes you get paid for being off sick if you present a doctor's note, but for me it would cost the same amount of money to get than it would for actually working the day, unless it was on a weekend. (My Store) accept sick notes, but you have to present them strictly every 2 days or so, no excuses. You also can't ring in sick to personnel, you have to ring the store manager too. Oh yeah and I apparently clocked up 14 sick days this years, 5 of which are actual sick days, the rest was where I got someone else to cover my shift without telling personnel (who are never open). People who have 16+ sick days are terrified and come in regardless of how sick they are.

Part time hours were cut, up until about September. Back with a vengeance, I'm currently working 26ish hours a week. As for shopping in the Dunnes uniform- if you're on a clocked 20 minute break and you're pegging it down to grocery- why waste time changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 francesca420

whats wrong with wearing the uniform while shopping?? some of us have a night shift to start you know.

It can often give a very poor impression of how a shop is run. Certainly does where I live.

I've regularly gone into Dunnes and saw the management berating their staff. It's terrible the way they carry on and actually get away with it! Imagine if a union ever formed, but no doubt if they tried to form one, management would be quick to fire them.

I believe they do have a union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And a powerful at that. Managers aren't in it though. I've never come across a thread where so many people who claim to know so much actually know so little.

I've regularly gone into Dunnes and saw the management berating their staff. It's terrible the way they carry on and actually get away with it! Imagine if a union ever formed, but no doubt if they tried to form one, management would be quick to fire them.

they wouldn't fire them, becuase those trying to form a union would know their rights and sue dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Well sometimes, with all due respect, staff need to be berated for being rubbish at their jobs. Not on the shop floor in full view of customers though.

I don't know much about dunnes at all. Been there once or twice, and it never struck me as a particularly bad place, but at the same time it never struck me as a particularly good place either (Blanch S.C.)... Never came accross a member of management teams, but their staff seem like very young zombified drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the big problem is that all large supermarkets asda ,tesco ,morrisons ,dunnes ,sainsburys, are keen to take on as managers young people from college and university non of which have management or leadership skills

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Jip wrote: »
    And a powerful at that. Managers aren't in it though. I've never come across a thread where so many people who claim to know so much actually know so little.

i couldn't agree more.

people who miss 16 days should be afraid. thats a crazy amount. some sick calls are honest but I would say at least 75% are lies. long term certified sickness is fair enough but its isolated, single, days that will get you in trouble and rightly so. i thought this thread was about dunnes being sold and not their HR policies. i dont work for dunnes but i know most of what is written in the last few posts is complete and utter rubbish. its turned into a joe duffy show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 briandy

This is great news. Tesco and Asda going head to head should mean big cost cuts.

darrenh wrote: »
    i couldn't agree more.

people who miss 16 days should be afraid. thats a crazy amount. some sick calls are honest but I would say at least 75% are lies. long term certified sickness is fair enough but its isolated, single, days that will get you in trouble and rightly so. i thought this thread was about dunnes being sold and not their HR policies. i dont work for dunnes but i know most of what is written in the last few posts is complete and utter rubbish. its turned into a joe duffy show!
    well the whole asda thing hasnt gone through (yet..ive a feeling its a matter of sooner rather than later) so what else to do but give out about dunnes! but im a night shift worker so all i can give out about is the day staff that i never see, but who's mess i have to tidy up at night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

well the whole asda thing hasnt gone through (yet..ive a feeling its a matter of sooner rather than later) so what else to do but give out about dunnes! but im a night shift worker so all i can give out about is the day staff that i never see, but who's mess i have to tidy up at night.....

are you sure that its not customers that pay your wages that messes your work place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

they wouldn't fire them, becuase those trying to form a union would know their rights and sue dunnes

Mandate must have a specific Dunnes Rapid Reaction Unit at this stage.

Read the Mandate website.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Heyes wrote: »
    Its not going to be sold, its media speculation.
    Dooish wrote: »
    never going to happen as the size of the average dunnes stores would be to small for them. the majority of the stores in the north are classed as small with the exception of enniskillen and strabane and they are only classed as large.

when safeway took over the old wellworths stores in the north, the first thing they done was to cherry pick the best and sell the rest. the same would happen with asda, cherry pick the best and flog or close the rest.

i would say that a superquinn take over would be more likely than dunnes
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats exactly the announcment btw. The whole asda thing came from someones imagination.

Any of ye got actual reasons for saying the above so dismissively?

I have a really good source that Dunnes is definitely to be sold, with the announcement likely this week or next week at the very latest. Are they wrong?

Well sometimes, with all due respect, staff need to be berated for being rubbish at their jobs. Not on the shop floor in full view of customers though.

I don't know much about dunnes at all. Been there once or twice, and it never struck me as a particularly bad place, but at the same time it never struck me as a particularly good place either (Blanch S.C.)... Never came accross a member of management teams, but their staff seem like very young zombified drones.

But thats what I mean. If you do a bad job then by all means tell them off. But not right in full view of the customer.

Dooish wrote: »
    are you sure that its not customers that pay your wages that messes your work place

well i was actually referring to, among other things, what is laughably regarded as an adequate 'face-off' that is done in the evenings consisting of the first row of each product being just about lined up while everything behind it is left untouched and in sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I believe they do have a union.

They do have a union, but part-time staff aren't allowed join the union. Its illegal to stop staff joining a union, I know.
    Well sometimes, with all due respect, staff need to be berated for being rubbish at their jobs.

I'd have to agree here, but in general the managers I worked with roared, screamed, pushed about, insulted and so on. They really are a terrible bunch. HR are the exact same. You could complain about a manager to HR, but either nothing would come of it, or it would turn around and result in the manager making up stories to get that staff member in trouble. I must say, I didn't give a f*** about my job, but I gave it 110%. Still though, we all got dogs abuse on the floor - and I must say 99% of the time, we never deserved it. We got screamed at in front of customers too. I even had a manager who used to give customers the same abuse she gave us. Never met a bigger b**** in my life. It took me a long time to get my own mother to believe me about all the c**p that used to go on in there.

I would like to add that I don't just have a chip on my shoulder, anyone I worked with will tell you the same. I also worked in the biggest store they have, not one of the small mickey mouse ones. Not every manager was terrible, but the majority were.

More on the post's topic, I've heard from a very reliable source that Dunnes aren't selling at all. Supposedly Mrs. Heffernan isn't even considering it. What she is considering is putting a freeze on the yearly wage rise for staff and managers alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Longerview

Latest Google news search shows an article in the "Cumberland News"(Scotland) , saying that Dunnes may be leaving their flagship store in the Antonine Centre,to be replaced by M&S who have apparently already applied to the council to make alterations to this shop.Adds another bit of fuel to the fire on Dunnes stores plans .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nobody knows anymore, Margaret Heffernan has been in my Dunnes twice since it all started, felt like asking her..but she only really talks to the store manager etc. As for managers..they're moved around so often to different Dunnes at no notice, which is worse than how staff are treated tbh. About 2 or 3 of the managers atm are crap, the rest are fine. My Dunnes is suffering really badly, which might be because we're also renovating. Staff hours cut next week, store hours shortened 2 weeks ago, very few Christmas staff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement