Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Everyone hits the thumps up icon on winces a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

"Reach for bottle of shampoo when something in my lower back 'twists'."

Ya right !!!!! :D:D

I'm sure it will all work out, keep the faith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Krusty_clown, putting the madness into a taper near you!

As always, you'll be grand on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've been there with the herniated disc thing.

It's even possible that it relates to the thumb incident in some way - you might have reached in a different way than normal to compensate for sore thumb for instance. I'm a bit nervous on your behalf. My own experience (near annual incidents stretching back 20 years or so) is that each one is a little worse than the last. If you were back in three days last time that bodes well, but I'd still give it some extra time to settle, and only very easy stuff (if anything at all) between now and the race. You should also be talking to your trusted physio or other qualified therapist, which I assume you are.

The plane journey won't help either - I'd be walking around as much as possible and being very careful about seated posture in general over the next while.

Best of luck with it, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Quite the tale, but loving the pragmatic outlook. Hoping it pays off as deserved on Sunday.

Haven't seen you around the streets of Bray, although I think I might have run past your better half last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Murph_D wrote: »
    I've been there with the herniated disc thing.

It's even possible that it relates to the thumb incident in some way - you might have reached in a different way than normal to compensate for sore thumb for instance. I'm a bit nervous on your behalf. My own experience (near annual incidents stretching back 20 years or so) is that each one is a little worse than the last. If you were back in three days last time that bodes well, but I'd still give it some extra time to settle, and only very easy stuff (if anything at all) between now and the race. You should also be talking to your trusted physio or other qualified therapist, which I assume you are.
    Thanks Murph_D. I've been trying to repeat the cycle I followed two years ago, which got me back up and running over just 4-5 days. In near identical circumstances, I also had a race some 7/8 days after hurting the back the last time, but unfortunately the race didn't go at all well. Looking back at that time-frame (sometimes keeping a training log can be damn useful!) the prevailing wisdom is that I shouldn't have done the race at all, particularly as it wasn't an A goal. I've read UltraPercy's post a few times now, and I don't want to read it any more, as it upsets me. :o The dilemma I'm faced with now, is that Berlin marathon is very much an A goal and I've devoted a huge amount of time time and commitment to it. I have to weigh that up against the risk of further damage and not fulfilling my ambitions in the race. It's too early to make that decision now though. All I can do for now is try to make myself as ready as I can possibly be and then make a determination closer to race day. I did register for Dublin before the cut-off, so there are backup options but for now, the continued pressing need is to get better on time for Berlin.

Yesterday: Cycled to work and back (how many times has the word 'back' appeared in this post?! Subliminal!). The journey to work was pretty comfortable. The journey back a little less so, as the muscles tightened up over the last couple of miles. Still, I'm moving about much more freely. I'm about two inches away from being able to put on my own socks without leverage. Foolishly decided to try and head out for a 10 minute jog. Got 30m from the front door of the house before wisdom prevailed.

Today: 10% better again. Managed to put on own socks. Muscles in spasm are definitely gradually easing out. Still some disc discomfort. Headed over to the local gym and hit the treadmill. Started out at 12 minute/mile and gradually increased to 9 minute mile. Anything faster was uncomfortable. Stopped after 5k. Enough for today.

Peckham wrote: »
    Quite the tale, but loving the pragmatic outlook. Hoping it pays off as deserved on Sunday.

Haven't seen you around the streets of Bray, although I think I might have run past your better half last week.
    Why is it you show up on this thread, every time I hurt my back? Coincidence? I think not! Have been doing a lot of running around Bray, particularly over the last few weeks. In fact, since they opened the new tow-path along the river, I've likely been running past your house a few times as I've run that path on a number of occasions. Hope they extend the path a little further. It could be so much better if they extended it and linked it to other pedestrian paths. Have you been getting out much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Why is it you show up on this thread, every time I hurt my back? Coincidence? I think not! Have been doing a lot of running around Bray, particularly over the last few weeks. In fact, since they opened the new tow-path along the river, I've likely been running past your house a few times as I've run that path on a number of occasions. Hope they extend the path a little further. It could be so much better if they extended it and linked it to other pedestrian paths. Have you been getting out much?

It was seeing your face in Wicklow People accepting prize for your recent win that encouraged me to pop in here.

Yes, it would be nice if they extended that path (or opened the third entrance) and keep outsiders out of our little estate â˜ºï¸ Unfortunately not though, although plan is for walkway on far side of river goes all the way to the harbour. Surprised I haven't seen you run past - you'll have to shout and wave next time!

Getting back into running, but still a long way off where I want to be. Have a tentative target for the Spring, but arrival of third child at Christmas complicates that somewhat.

Peckham wrote: »
    Yes, it would be nice if they extended that path (or opened the third entrance) and keep outsiders out of our little estate â˜ºï¸ Unfortunately not though, although plan is for walkway on far side of river goes all the way to the harbour. Surprised I haven't seen you run past - you'll have to shout and wave next time!

Getting back into running, but still a long way off where I want to be. Have a tentative target for the Spring, but arrival of third child at Christmas complicates that somewhat.
    Belated congrats!

Stages of marathon progression:
    Step 1: Self-denial
    Step 2: Self-deceit
    Step 3: Realization
    Step 4: Heavy drinking
    Step 5: Guilt
    Step 6: Regroup
    Step 7: Re-focus
    Step 8: Train
    Currently at step 3. Looking forward to stage 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

You have been doing Step 8 for about 5 years though...........

Klown, you wouldn't be tempted by the Luxembourgish National Champs marathon of Echternach on October 16th?? You've done Dublin a few times, try something new. You might win!!!

Depending who turns up you'd be on podium anyway.

Free accommodation chez moi.

Itziger wrote: »
    Klown, you wouldn't be tempted by the Luxembourgish National Champs marathon of Echternach on October 16th?? You've done Dublin a few times, try something new. You might win!!!

Depending who turns up you'd be on podium anyway.

Free accommodation chez moi.
    Thanks for the offer Itziger, but I had always planned to do Dublin as it's the national champs. Time to start worrying about the weather (looks out on a rainy cold wet Winter's night).

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Tough luck Krusty, I've been checking Strava to see some activity from you with avail. don't go mad on that good German beer, you've a race to run in 5 weeks.

How's that Pisa marathon training going Krusty??

(Dec. 18th or sump'n)

How's that Pisa marathon training going Krusty??

(Dec. 18th or sump'n)
    I think you spelled Rotterdam incorrectly!

Unless I missed a beat, they haven't got this in Rotterdam.

http://www.orzobruno.it/galleria/index.html

Best extra-dehydration stop you're likely to find.

True, but it's got one of these: http://locus-publicus.com/
    Also, you can stop off in Belgium on the way home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

True for you - had a few nice beers there this summer - cool place, easy atmosphere. Much more to Pisa than an architectural error, when you go looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I think you spelled Rotterdam incorrectly!

Does this mean you're doing Rotterdam? It'll finally mean you get to have a crack at me if it does. I just signed up this morning.

• Advertisement

Yeah, at this stage it seems most likely. I've covered just under 5 miles in the last week, so Dublin marathon is gradually slipping through my fingers. Back isn't fully recovered either. I haven't signed up for Rotterdam yet, but have booked a hotel. I guess at some subconscious level I'm still hoping for a miracle turnaround!

Hopping on the sub 2:30 bus? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Hopping on the sub 2:30 bus? :)

I'll be a long way off that. It's a stepping stone to the triathlon season. If I beat my Connemarathon time, it'll be a successful day. Anything better than that will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

What step are you on now G :D:D

Nice choice on Rotterdam, easy access to anywhere or anything :)

martyboy48 wrote: »
    What step are you on now G :D:D

Nice choice on Rotterdam, easy access to anywhere or anything :)
    I'm kind of straddling stages 4 and 5. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A report!
    A report!
    We want a report!

:)

RayCun wrote: »
    A report!
    A report!
    We want a report!

:)
    Currently at step 8. :)

Running is one of those great anomalies. As a distance runner, you can head out to a 10 mile race with a good reputation, finish 4th out of 1,200 runners just 15 seconds off of your PB, and pick up enough prize money to take the family out for some rock climbing and some cheap eats. A good day out. You don't go out looking for prize money or 4th place (who would?!), but rather, you start the race hoping to run the distance faster than you've ever covered the distance before, looking for a sign that you've made progress and are in good shape for your marathon. You set out at target pace, for various reasons, things don't pan out the way you want them to, but you finish well, knowing that you've run a decent race and at the very least, you've earned yourself a hell of a training stimulus. You go home with the body and the ego intact. It's safe. There's very little at risk. If you don't hit your PB, you can draw on a handful of reasons to justify it. You run a PB? Greatness awaits! Finish in the top-10? Yeah, it was always pretty much going to happen, and you knew that before you headed to the race, looking at the previous year's results. As 'above average' distance runners, it's easy enough to pick your battles, and maintain that indestructible resolve. In the words of Lego Batman... I.... Am.....Awesome....

And then you go to Armagh... If you've ever been to a graded meet, you'll know the feeling. It takes balls to come last. Coming first isn't easy, but if you don't come first, you'll still finish on the podium, or somewhere close. You face disappointment. Facing ridicule? That takes balls.

This was my second visit to Armagh's International 5k, having run the same race last year. In 2016, I walked away with a sense of pride that had nothing to do with my finish time (15:52); my 107th place ranking; or the fact that I was the only runner old enough to have grandchildren (old enough to father most of the runners). I was proud of myself for being in the mix - casting my fears aside and going for it. There are no prizes in Armagh for being a decent runner for your age and that's part of the attraction. There's a start line and a finish line. You are measured by how long it takes you to get from the start line to the finish line.

And so I found myself back again this year, this time with a couple of running buddies in tow.. Neil, a runner who is improving in leaps and bounds and was training for a sub 15, and Luke - looking to pop his Armagh cherry and similarly aiming for a time close to his PB, knowing that like me, we'd be at the back of the field.

By the time we arrived in Armagh, I was feeling a bit knackered from the drive, but thankfully parking was trouble-free, and race logistics were sorted in less than 20 minutes. After a couple of miles of warm-up, I rued the fact that I didn't have similar dynamic stretching warm-up routines to the lads, as all I had in my repertoire was running in straight lines, with a bit of 'hugging the knees to the chest'. Warm-up routine needs a lot of work to be credible.

The clock ticked off 8:05pm and with an 8:20pm start we headed to the Mall. Arriving at the start line, the mind is blown. Surrounded by runners who are wearing national vests, hoping for national spots or hoping to keep or win sponsors, you can't help but feel like that ageing antelope at the back of the pack - the one that immediately gets picked off by the equally ageing leopard. I do some strides, just to pretend that I can run fast. Nobody's looking at me funny. Maybe if I keep doing fast strides, they won't notice that I'm a little bit wrinkly around the edges. It seems to be working. Some whistles are blown to mark the beginning of the terror. We assemble. Firmly at the back. I'm never really confident enough to toe a starting line, but I'm right here at the back with Luke, still feeling nervous, remarking on the Great Britain vests just in front of us. I should be nervous, but remembering last year's race, I had an idea of how the race would play out. Start fast; settle in; hurt a pile more with every lap, and finally arrive at the last lap, heart bursting from my chest, seconds ticking down on the clock.

The gun fired (was there a gun?) and immediately we surge until the abrupt slow-down - the kind you only expect in one of those road races with a 90 degree bend after 200m. Soon, we're moving again though, and hurtling to the only brief climb on the 1,030m loop. I think it's 4.7 laps, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't think it really matters. Like last year, the plan is to slot in, run fast, and keep running faster until the running stops, or something stops me from running faster. Alarmingly, I find myself behind a group of runners who are allowing a gap to form to the next set of runners. It's way too early for me to be pushing the pace, but I know that this group ain't right and my race is already dusted if I don't push on. I start to work my way past a couple of runners, and a bystander is calling splits. "3:10" - as I go past. I realize at this point that I have absolutely no splits plan. I remember targeting 3:10 some time ago, knowing that it's probably around a 15:50 finish, and figured that it sounded about spot on. Still feeling good, headed up the second climb at the back-end of the mall. It's been a soggy mucky day and the runners ahead are kicking up the muck from the road. Soon, I'm tasting a mixture of road-dirt and petroleum, and we all look like we're running cross country.

"6:20", he shouts out,and I'm amazed that you can simply run without watches or any kind of guidance, and still run the next kilometer exactly as fast as you ran the previous kilometer. I'm still feeling good - breathing is heavy, but I'm making up a couple of spots. There's no racing happening at this end of the field - it's just maintaining the pace and passing the occasional runner who, for various reasons has self combusted, and slinks away quietly, between the barriers into post-race oblivion. "9:32". I have no frickin' idea what time I'll end up with, and my brain can't think, but it sounds like it should be sub 16. I'm making up a few more places, consciously watching for those ahead who are slowing, and gliding past. I love the climb. I know that after the brief climb, we go down, so the climb means respite. I'm not fast, but I recover incredibly quick, so this kind of course with occasional downhills suits me well.

I'm suffering now, and miss the shout-out from the guy calling the splits. Doesn't matter. My brain has switched from counting up, to counting down. We're past the half-way point (I'm a glass half full kind of runner). Two laps left. That's like an incredibly hard lap, and then the final lap, where you get to give it everything. I'm good at survival - I've been doing it for a long time. The penultimate lap is really tough, but I'm making up places - more of an inconvenience, as everyone is running the shortest possible route, but at some primeval level, passing others is still good. We head down past the clock for the last time and I know I can survive one last kilometer, without bleeding too much time. I remember looking at the clock and thinking that I had to run a 3:10km to break 16 minutes, so I was up against it. Thankfully, there was no let up in the runners around me and we were all forging our way to the finish. I ran strongly up the final climb, heart pounding in my temples knowing - it was the last climb, and hit the straight for the last time.

This was it.. The last straight. It's where you can gain or lose a single second from your PB. We were all hurting towards the finish line. Nothing to be gained or lost.. Nobody's racing now - we're just giving everything we have to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. One runner goes past at a massive clip - and you think briefly that there's someone who isn't going to run to their potential. I see the clock. 15:45.. I'm going to be outside the PB. I have only seconds to resurrect my race.. I push, push, push until I can push no more, and cross the finish line in 15:51. One second faster than last year. Mixed emotions. Glad to have run faster than last year, but hoped to run a few seconds faster.

Seconds... That's the difference between a really positive frame of mind and a really negative one. Thankfully I've fallen one second on the right side of Damocle's sword on this occasion and briefly, I walk away happy with a decent performance. I'd hoped to run quicker, but I could have run slower. The distance runner mentality wins again. Neil has run 14:58. I'm delighted for him. I knew he could run that time in Armagh - but you still need the racing gods to line-up for you on the night and I'm glad to see that he had to suffer for it - cos times like that just shouldn't come easy! Suddenly though, I'm feeling my mortality. I've trained and raced with Neil over the last few years, but now he's run a time where the chasm is just too great to even contemplate following him down that path. The disquiet isn't about sizing yourself up against your training partners (which you inevitably do), but rather about coming to terms with the realization that somewhere in the distance, there is a horizon.

But for right now, it's just past 2am and the horizon won't be visible for a few hours. Tomorrow is another training day, so I get a few hours of sleep before I lace up the runners and take another step towards Rotterdam.
    Summary: 5km in 15:51, for 148th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Thnks for writing this. You prob donthave the time or inclination , but even occasional updates on training/frame of mind between here and rotterdam would, im sure, be appreciated by many boardsies. Anyhow Keep it up, great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Well done KC- If you released a book of race reports I would gladly pay real money for it!!

• Advertisement

Thnks for writing this. You prob donthave the time or inclination , but even occasional updates on training/frame of mind between here and rotterdam would, im sure, be appreciated by many boardsies. Anyhow Keep it up, great going.
    Cheers. Plenty of inclination - just very little time. Hence the 2am race report (cos Ray asked!), over a few sofa beers. Well, since my last post, Dublin marathon came and went and once again, I was a spectator rather than a participant. I really didn't start running properly again until November, and it was back to basics, with some very easy running, gradually building up the mileage week by week.. 30 miles became 70, 80, 90 and finally when I was able to run 100, I knew I was ok to resume proper training. As the mileage went up, the back pain went down and these days it is just an occasional nagging pain, particularly after long haul flights or hard road sessions. It's still a little worrying that I can't point a finger at what caused the original problem, as it means I could make it all the way to Rotterdam, only to have it happen again. But you can't sit around waiting for injuries to happen.

The plan is much the same as it was for Berlin - I'm following my own variation of the Steve Magness marathon plan again, only this time I'm hoping to be 10% less stupid. It's not really worked out so far, but I live in hope! I'm trying to learn from last year's mistakes and race less (or at a minimum, if I'm racing, ease back on the mileage and skip some of that week's quality work). The race results have not been great - with no PBs to show for a block of hard training, but I feel that I'm at least back to where I was last year in the build-up to Berlin. The goal is still the same - sub 2:30 in Rotterdam. Yes, I know how unlikely that is - far better runners than me have tried and not been successful, but... I'm not trying to be a better runner.. I'm trying to run at 5:42/mile for as long as I can hold out. I rate my chances at the moment at about 1/5, but hopefully with 7 weeks more training, I'll bring it up closer to 50/50. I'm just trying to get myself into the kind of shape where having a pop at that goal is not completely unreasonable.

I've been doing a lot of my quality work on the treadmill this time around - part because of time-management (gym opened up across from my workplace), part convenience (very hard to find routes suitable to plug away at 5:2x-5:40/mile without traffic and other hindrances like darkness), and part injury prevention. But doing sessions on the treadmill does come at a cost, as I found out in the Trim 10 mile, where I struggled to get enough air into my lungs in the second half of the race, costing me my PB. So the focus will shift towards a little more road bias, while trying to minimize the wear and tear over the remaining weeks. Haven't fully fleshed out the remaining build-up races, but Ballycotton is likely to feature, and I'd hope to run a half marathon at MP, if I can line one up from a timing perspective. So that's where things sit at the moment. Rotterdam is approaching rapidly, but there's still plenty of hard miles to lay down, before I get there.

Training log, as ever is here: https://www.strava.com/athletes/4964829/training/log?feature=public-training-log

Advertisement