Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

wrstan wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Gary.

I'm really looking forward to watching this from the grandstands (as opposed to from the back of the field :D )
    Cheers, but I won't run unless I have to. Really haven't recovered to the point where I should be racing. I'll just be there to make up the numbers and if the numbers are good enough, I'll step aside and watch the proceedings. Went for five easy miles earlier and the heart and lungs are not in good shape. Are you injured Bill, or similarly ill-stricken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Huayra

See you tomorrow. Hope the lungs recover soon. I think Bray will have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Cheers, but I won't run unless I have to. Really haven't recovered to the point where I should be racing. I'll just be there to make up the numbers and if the numbers are good enough, I'll step aside and watch the proceedings. Went for five easy miles earlier and the heart and lungs are not in good shape. Are you injured Bill, or similarly ill-stricken?

Thanks Gary. You'll be well missed if you don't run, not too many sub 2:40 marathoners out there. But after the season you've had and the savage marathon training you've put in, not to mention the dreaded lurgy, you need to make sure you are sensible. Looks like a strong Bray team, in amongst a number of other very strong teams.

I'm recovering from the scurge of so many runners - the Achilles! I'm just back to running some easy miles after more than 6 weeks on the sidelines. :mad:

Catchup tomorrow!

What am I sayin! The thoughts of you just making up the numbers is cray-zeee!

Here's hoping you wake feeling hale and hearty tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

(psst....need a change or diversity in training? three words: swim, bike, run :D;))

Hope you're feeling better. And I suppose you won't be near my neck of the woods while in the states, will you?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    (psst....need a change or diversity in training? three words: swim, bike, run :D;))

Hope you're feeling better. And I suppose you won't be near my neck of the woods while in the states, will you?
    No such luck, DD. Will be in Colorado for the week. The unfortunate thing is that I moved the dates so they didn't clash with the xc race. I could have spent the weekend acclimatising on the first snow of the season. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

No such luck, DD. Will be in Colorado for the week. The unfortunate thing is that I moved the dates so they didn't clash with the xc race. I could have spent the weekend acclimatising on the first snow of the season. :(

Colorado again!!! The home of coors light drawing you back again obviously ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Colorado again!!! The home of coors light drawing you back again obviously ;)

I haven't gone yet! I've yet to pop my Coors Lite cherry. This trip is the reason I can't make the Boards beers (that and the fact that there are a load of knackers going :)).

Great running today Gary! Well done to you and all the team, Great that you made it out. Some really impressive performances from Bray runners. For the club to take individual and team titles in both men and ladies events is a great haul.

Look after the recovery!

I haven't gone yet! I've yet to pop my Coors Lite cherry. This trip is the reason I can't make the Boards beers (that and the fact that there are a load of knackers going :)).

Well in your honour we will all drink coors light for the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Know of any other 5k plans worth a look?

http://www.slideshare.net/sjm1368/evolution-of-training

Nice 21 week plan in the last few slides, but maybe you could skip some of the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well in your honour we will all drink coors light for the night!

me b0llix we will...........

http://www.slideshare.net/sjm1368/evolution-of-training

Nice 21 week plan in the last few slides, but maybe you could skip some of the base.
    Like it, and like the mileage. Also a big fan of Steve Magness. Have you followed the plan or anything like it? Wouldn't mind doing the base building, if there was a 5k race at the end of it worth all of the effort.

Haven't been posting too much, as there hasn't been much to post about (unless tales of bronchitis and chest infections make for interesting reading). I did participate in one race: the Wicklow senior XC, but was still very much under the weather. I probably shouldn't have run, but had delayed my flights to the US so I could run for the club and had missed other county XC races due to marathon commitments, so would have felt guilty about not jumping in. As it was, the race went pretty much how I expected it might. Over the course of the first lap (of 5), I felt a weight pressing down on my chest and didn't have my normal lung capacity, so felt like dropping out, however, I stepped the pace back a little and got joined by a group of runners (somewhere in the top 10), so just sat in with the group. Towards the final lap Chris (of these parts) pushed forward and I was happy to have the chasing runners stick with me, so hung in to finish in 8th place (more a reflection of the standard than any great effort by me).

Running Summary:
    Tuesday 26th - Friday 29th: No running. Chest infection + strong drugs = stay inside.
    Saturday 30th: Had to go for a run to see if the XC was still an option, but medication was playing havoc with my digestive system, so run was split into two parts. Legs feeling good, but otherwise pretty wiped.
    Sunday 1st: Wicklow Senior XC + warm-up and down. Bray took gold and was the 4th scorer on the team, but realistically could have (should have) stayed home and team would have won anyway.
    Monday 2nd: Travel to Colorado. Long, long travel, but as soon as I arrived, just wanted to run, so hit the hotel treadmill, for 5 easy miles (38 mins), at around 2am Irish time.
    Tuesday: By 4am, I'd been awake for hours, had already read all my e-mail, and done a few hours of work, so nothing for it but to hit the treadie for another few miles. 4 miles in 33 mins.
    Wednesday: Temperature had dropped from +13'C (previous day) to -13'C, so no chance to get outside for a run. 5k on the treadie before work, and another 4 miles after work.
    Thursday: 5k recovery + 5k with surges - treadmill boring the life out of me, so did some 5 minute reps at 6 minute/mile.
    Friday: Couldn't take the treadmill any more, but managed to get out skiing for a couple of hours in the late afternoon (-20'C).
    Saturday: Travel home - no time for a run
    Sunday: Travel + family time

Monday: 6.5 mile easy run with some quick miles. Legs feeling particularly spritely after a couple of days rest and a week at altitude.
    Tuesday: Late night 10k in 43 mins
    Wednesday: Easy 10 miles. Lovely lunch run, taking in some of the country roads I have neglected for the last 4/5 months.
    Thursday: Easy/recovery 10 miles. It was the club xmas drinks, but I had a choice between pints and a 10 mile run, and after delivering a stressful 90 minute presentation in work, I opted for the miles instead.
    Friday: 7 miles with core. I've had a knot in my shoulder for about a month at this stage, but it doesn't seem to be affected by chin-ups or rock climbing, so figured I might as well get back into it. 30 chin-ups on the park's bars, while running loops.
    Saturday: Pre-xmas party 10 mile easy run: Legs still feeling great, so headed out for a 'padding run', with the objective of just chalking up some miles to hit my 60 mile weekly target. Hit the local trails, and ended up doing 10 fabulous miles, with some nice quick miles on the way back down.
    Sunday: Dirty hangover, so managed 6.5 miles before taking the family to see the Hobbit, and another (very reluctant) 3.5 miles that night after the cinema, to chalk up 60 miles for the week.

Summary: Legs feeling good, chest mostly better, things are looking up. Plan for the next few weeks is just to get my weekly mileage up to 70 miles per week. Hope to get some nice hilly trail runs over the xmas break, and start working in some strides to get aligned with starting the 5k plan in the new year.

The Clown is in the house! Whoop whoop!

Glad you're feeling better. And very glad you're back. You've been missed. :o:)

Thanks Dory Dory! Have been around, but there's an unwillingness to update the training log, when I'm not running. Looking forward to some nice running over the festive period, and hopefully getting together for some social runs. It's nice to get a bit of down-time too (from the training and the training log!).

How's everything going with you? Did you get hit by that cold snap?

Hey....all is well with me. Getting stuck into triathlon training with an eye on a prize in June....and being "coached" in harmony by two polar opposites from boards. Yes indeedy, we did get hit with that cold snap....and we've already had a few snowfalls that have mucked up proper running, so it's been a getting-to-know-ya treadmill kinda few weeks. :( Oh, and I'm doing Boston again. This time it will be more for fun...and to exorcise some "blasted" demons. ;)

Monday: 10 miles @6:55
    Knew it was going to be a nuts week in work due to some delivery commitments, but every mile was welcome, as a much needed break from sitting hunched over a laptop. Most of the week, I planned to stay out for just 6 miles, but found myself enjoying the break so rounded up to 10 miles, while the weather-gods threw every bit of crap they could lay their hands on at me. A nice run that ventured as far as Barnaslingan and I was very tempted to hit that hill and keep pushing for home, but work must..

Tuesday: 6.4 miles easy @7:07/mile
    Easy run with Keith, stopping off in Cornelscourt to grab some messages. Tuesday evening:90 minutes of bouldering with the family. I had taken a break for a few weeks due to a knot in my shoulder (still present) and some work travel, but I was amazed at just how quickly you lose climbing fitness.

Wednesday: 10 miles easy @7:28
    My route took me up past Stepaside to Burrow road, with some nice sweeping views of Dublin, in the mist and rain. 19mph winds, that alternatively pushed and battered (8:18 mile followed by 6:40!). Enjoyed a bit of car-baiting, on the zebra crossings at Carrickmines shopping Centre. The xmas shopping drivers choose to ignore the crossing and drive through at speed, so I like to dangle one foot over the edge of the road, as if to step across, to see what happens. Angry car drivers! I know I shouldn't, but still, that could be somebody's child ignorantly assuming that car drivers know the rules of the road.

Thursday: 10.4 miles @7:20/mile
    Wonderful weather continuing, but with a long, long day of work ahead of me, I knew it was a case of get out and stay out, or not run at all. The strong 20mph winds were joined by freezing cold, as I took in a wonderful countryside loop around Tullyvale, Ballycorus and Kilternan. Miles were slow, as the hills and wind took their toll, but it was mileage for the soul.

Friday: 6.3 miles easy
    Shattered after yesterday's mammoth work day and feck all sleep, I sneaked in 6.3 easy miles between work and xmas parties.

Saturday: 7 miles easy @7:10/mile
    Completely worn down from the week in work, hoarse and wrecked, not a pleasant 7 miles, but the running Gods demanded sacrifice. The sea calms all ills though, and all was well in the world after a few miles alongside the crashing waves.

Sunday: 15 hilly miles @7:39/mile
    Hit the hills and the trails of Carrigologan and the Scalp for this one, which was an enjoyable trudge, with the masses of hills. A run to harden the heart and tighten the calfs, as with each turn, I found yet another hill to climb. Lasted all of three seconds on top of Carrigologan, as the icy wind threatened to strip the skin and blood a ye'. Three hours of family rock climbing and bouldering soon afterwards, as I started to regain some of my climbing form.

65 Miles for the week, which was bang on target and a good innings for a tough work week. 73 miles between now and New Years, if I'm to make my 3,500 target. Should be achievable, particularly if I can get out for Beepbeep's Howth trot. Speaking of beepbeep, here's a piccie for you. Can you name 'em all?

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."

Merry Christmas, Krusty Clownfish. ;)

Hiya Krusty

I see you're thinking of training for a shorter distance this year. I'm hoping to follow Daniels' 5-15k plan myself. I have a couple of questions:

- what goal race do you have in mind at this stage?
    - if you follow Daniels, will you do the full six weeks of base building or will you skip it based on your current fitness?

Hope you have kicked all the dreaded bugs by now and you're able to continue your great form in 2014.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hiya Krusty

I see you're thinking of training for a shorter distance this year. I'm hoping to follow Daniels' 5-15k plan myself. I have a couple of questions:

- what goal race do you have in mind at this stage?
    - if you follow Daniels, will you do the full six weeks of base building or will you skip it based on your current fitness?

Hope you have kicked all the dreaded bugs by now and you're able to continue your great form in 2014.

Thanks
    Cheers Bill. Still struggling with the second round of chest infection, but am hoping that I'm finally seeing it off, just in time for the new chapter. Hoping to start my 5k program next week, but to be honest, I haven't given it a huge amount of consideration. The goal race is Frankfurt marathon in October, so the purpose of the 5k program is to build some much-needed speed, before I have another assault at the marathon distance later in the year. Larry Brent provided a link to a Steve Magness program that I really like the look of (good mileage and variety), I just need to study it a little more to make sure I fully grasp the requirements.

Personally, I don't think I would need the Daniels' base-building phase, as I've worked my way back to 65-70mpw, with lots of running in the hills, but the base-building phase of the Magness plan looks good, so I'll probably stick with it anyway. I like the idea of a 21 week plan, as it'll take me to a point where I could kick on with a marathon plan sometime during the summer. No idea on a 5k target race, but it's more of a means to an end anyhow (but would be nice to have a decent target race). Will look for something in early June time-frame. The Patrick Bell Bohermeen 5k should be on around that time of year, so may be a good one.

Will we see you out for the old fella's race on Sunday?

Monday 23rd: 7 miles easy @7:04/mile
    Tuesday 24th: Recovery 10k @7:32
    Wednesday: 25th: Tried to head out to the local park to meet the club for their annual trot around the park, but we just missed them (funny how those who live closest to the park are the last to arrive!), and caught them heading out of the the park to parts unknown, so enjoyed a very enjoyable easy 5k with Emer and another of the Bray Runners. Second xmas day run was the annual family race to the top of Carrigologan (me on foot, them by car/hike). I don't think they were taking the race seriously enough this year, as I arrived at the top of the hill with 5 minutes to spare, before they showed their faces, so this year, I won the uphill and the downhill race. Some kind of forfeit will be required next year. Still, nice to get 9 miles of enjoyable sociable running on xmas day.
    Stephen's Day: 5 miles easy @7:28mile: run of shame to pick up car from whence it was left on xmas day.
    Friday: Had hoped to join the Howth Dart trot, but ended up at my GPs instead, for a second round of antibiotics for chest infections. Spent the rest of the day at a wedding, so really a 20+ mile run would have been a particularly dumb thing to do, given the sickness, drinking and late nights.
    Saturday: 5 miles easy @6:57/mile. Second run of shame to go pick up the car from whence it were left, followed by a couple of hours of hungover rock-climbing (not for the weak!).
    Sunday: 20 miles steady, @6:55/mile. I had all but written off any hopes of hitting my 3,500 mile target for the year, when this run came along. Weather was sh1te (not uncommon in Roscommon), but headed out with multiple layers, with little in the way of plans, other than seeing how I felt. Headed in the direction of Creggs (in Galway) and had a tremendous run, only turning back once I'd hit the 10 mile mark. Despite not taking any water or food-stuffs, I felt stronger and stronger as each mile went on, arriving back in Roscommon with a a 6:22 mile. If all long runs were this easy, I'd never stop.
    Monday: 10 miles easy @7:01/mile. Love hitting the Roscommon bothrins for a few miles. Literally just a few sheep and the occasional horse for company, little (if any) idea where you are going, or where you will end up, just good tunes, the patter of feet, and the wild weather.
    Tuesday: The 3,500th mile - 10 miles @6:46 - Final run of the year, and it was once more a case of getting lost around the bothrins, before hitting the fantastic Mote Park. Final mile of the year was a 5:53, as I wound it up, to finish off the year well.

One of the last views, as I wrapped up the year's mileage:
    C864698378B94309A7D910155C11A326-0000325964-0003470605-00800L-0B8D1311C0754C4AAFCE6FB4F7093FCA.jpg
    Roscommon Castle with rainbow.

Still struggling with the second round of chest infection, but am hoping that I'm finally seeing it off, just in time for the new chapter. Hoping to start my 5k program next week...

Glad to hear you're finally giving those bugs a kickin', I'm impressed with your determination to keep up such mileage through it all though. You'll have some immunity at the end of it :)
    No idea on a 5k target race, but it's more of a means to an end anyhow (but would be nice to have a decent target race).

I can recommend the Na Fianna 5k in Enfield from my experience last year, it's a real cracker, definitely in PB territory on a calm night. It might be a bit early for you though, last year was 21st May. I'm targetting Dunsaughlin 10k on 21st June this year and all my plan dates are built back from that. I'm usually away that weekend, but should be here this year. So 24 weeks (Daniels' 5-15km plan) back from 21st of June gives me ... next Monday :eek:!
    Will we see you out for the old fella's race on Sunday?

Sadly I'm away on Sunday, I'm well off racing fitness anyway, am only just building the EZ miles, but I'm sorry to miss this on home turf either as a participant or supporter.

All the best for 2014!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can recommend the Na Fianna 5k in Enfield from my experience last year, it's a real cracker, definitely in PB territory on a calm night. It might be a bit early for you though, last year was 21st May. I'm targetting Dunsaughlin 10k on 21st June this year and all my plan dates are built back from that. I'm usually away that weekend, but should be here this year. So 24 weeks (Daniels' 5-15km plan) back from 21st of June gives me ... next Monday :eek:!
    !

+1 I would definitely recommend those two races, probably the two fastest races around, I set PB's in both last year.
    I would also consider the St Cocas 5k in Kilcock if Enfield is too early. Last year it was the week after Dunshaughlin- (last friday in June), it's another real flyer. I managed to take 12 seconds off my Enfield time.
    I have done the Bohermeen 5k before and tbh I don't think it is a very fast course...

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 I would definitely recommend those two races, probably the two fastest races around, I set PB's in both last year.

definitely short courses so :D

definitely short courses so :D

I've a new garmin now that runs things a bit longer (and faster) so there'll be no more talk of short courses from me (unless UM1 measured it).

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've a new garmin now that runs things a bit longer (and faster) so there'll be no more talk of short courses from me (unless UM1 measured it).

Sorry for the Hijack KC......

Meno - how do you find the 220? Was thinking of getting the 620, but it looks a bit gimmicky. The 220 looks the business??

Meno - how do you find the 220? Was thinking of getting the 620, but it looks a bit gimmicky. The 220 looks the business??
    Had a play with the OH's 220 and it's the business. Very light, really usable (great menu system), battery lasts for ever, you can switch it off, it'll pick up a GPS signal inside the house and will acquire very quickly. I'd imagine it still looks and feels a little gimmicky, as it's very colourful and very light.

Yep, I am loving it.
    Battery goes on for ever. (had it up north over xmas. 4 days, 4 runs about 30 miles and when I came back it had still 60% left)
    It's really small and light and you can just wear it as a normal wristwatch.
    Has all the functions I need.
    HRM doesn't seem to spike.
    Backlight is a great little feature, one click mid-run and it stays on until you click again to turn it off. That might be a godsend on the dark nights.
    Also the price I got it at was great ;)

I haven't found the satellites any better than the 405 tbh but most say they have improved...

• Advertisement

Tks, still have the 305, but thinking of upgrading.

Advertisement