Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Not looking forward to my second run of the day (possibly homewards into that horrendous head-wind). Suddenly, treadmills seem like a great idea. Wish that thread was still open, so I could retract everything I've ever said. I'm so fickle. :)

It's your lucky day!!Looks like the winds will die down to a gentle breeze by this evening
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's your lucky day!!Looks like the winds will die down to a gentle breeze by this evening
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html
    Hmm... Might have to leave early, to take advantage of that gentle breeze! Looks like it'll be crazy tomorrow evening too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hmm... Might have to leave early, to take advantage of that gentle breeze! Looks like it'll be crazy tomorrow evening too.

yeah I know, if that's true then there goes my 10 miles @ PMP tomorrow evening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

menoscemo wrote: »
    yeah I know, if that's true then there goes my 10 miles @ PMP tomorrow evening :mad:

By the looks of that forecast I wouldn't be putting it off till Wednesday!
    21m/s winds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I've already reformed and sought absolution for my anti-treadmill heresy. Going to see if I can organize a group long run for this weekend, where we meet at Loughlinstown Leisure centre and run 32km side by side on various treadmills. Everyone can run at different speeds, so there's none of that pace malarky. Nice bit of MTV Base, to keep us going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've already reformed and sought absolution for my anti-treadmill heresy. Going to see if I can organize a group long run for this weekend, where we meet at Loughlinstown Leisure centre and run 32km side by side on various treadmills. Everyone can run at different speeds, so there's none of that pace malarky. Nice bit of MTV Base, to keep us going too.

Better still, lets set up a facebook page, call it 'the run on the inside treadmill challenge' charge €50 and donate <1% to a chosen charity.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Better still, lets set up a facebook page, call it 'the run on the inside treadmill challenge' charge €50 and donate <1% to a chosen charity.
    Could we stick bits of moss and twigs to the treadmill and call it an 'Inside treadmill trail offroad challenge'?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Could we stick bits of moss and twigs to the treadmill and call it an 'Inside treadmill trail offroad challenge'?

And medals for all.

Monday (cont'd): A 5.5 mile easy recovery run at lunch-time and a 5.5 mile run home from work left me feeling a little whacked at the end of the day, after covering 20 miles in the day (after a solid single 20 mile run the day before). Reading Larry Brent's post raises some interesting points, about being a slave to the plan/mileage and this is a good example of both. While the 1,000 mile challenge doesn't influence my running in the least (I run to the plan and not a mile more), I do stick to the plan at all costs, and run the prescribed mileage no matter how detrimental it might be (or how much I may not want to do it). I do shuffle the mileage and the quality sessions around during the week base don my needs and how I feel, but that's all the flexibility I allow. Food for thought.

The low energy during the final run of the day was down to under-nutrition. I hadn't compensated (in terms of food intake) from the previous day, so by the time I hit my final miles for the evening, I was running on a significant calorie deficit. Possibly a useful stimulus in the final stages of marathon training, but not 9 months out, during 5k training. After some food, I felt much better and managed some cracking climbs at the climbing centre, that I hadn't succeeded in completing before, so everything was right with the world.

Tuesday: 25 minute split tempo
    On the easy warm-up to the cinder track, I got a bout of stomach issues, which bothered me a little, as I typically find it hard to complete a session when my stomach is upset (dehydration/low energy), so I had a lot of negative thoughts when I hit the cinder (after re-routing to the nearest public bathrooms). One of my fellow club-mates was just finishing up on the cinder as I arrived (pretty rare to see anyone else on the 'track'), so after a quick chat I peeled off the layers and got ready. Thankfully only one water feature on the track, which I opted to wade through, instead of adding an extra few metres to each lap.
    Tempo 1: 4,200m in 15 mins @5:45, HR=155
    <2 mins rest>
    Tempo 2: 2,800m in 10 mins @5:44, HR=154
    The first tempo section was pretty tough, particularly as I noticed my splits diverging from plan about half way through, but surprisingly, the second tempo section was a lot easier. I know it's significantly shorter, but typically it's a compound effect for me, particularly with relatively short recoveries. So I was happy enough to get it done exactly to plan, despite the negative feelings.

Added a very slow (9:14/mile) 5 mile recovery run that night in absolutely mental conditions. At times I ran to a standstill with the wind, while on other occasions I almost fell, such was the force of the wind when it was behind my back. Still, a really enjoyable run that wore away the pains and aches of the previous days mileage and workouts.
    Summary: 11.65 miles + 5 miles

Wednesday: Run + 6x10s + 2 x 20s hill-sprints
    Headed up to the usual hill, which despite the strong winds and heavy rain was lovely and calm. It almost feels like 'The Shire', sheltered from the strong winds and rain, beautiful green pastures, few people or cars and a rainbow visible in the distance - all in direct contrast to the hill repeats, which upset the sense of calm and serenity! The 10 seconds hill repeats are manageable, but jaysus, those 20 second hill repeats are bloody tough! That they take you to the top (steepest part) of the hill doesn't help, but towards the end of the two 20 second segments, I was willing the watch to signal the end of the sprint. Tough stuff! Followed up with another very, very easy recovery run, and an hour of bouldering, where again the climbing is going pretty well, as I'm tackling some of the tougher climbing challenges.

I've been front-loading the week so I have less mileage to do towards the end of the week, when I'm hoping to have a pop at a 10k race, to see what kind of shape I'm in. The problem is that it's a 90 mile week with a handful of sessions, so I think I'm trying to squeeze too much into too short a period of time. The limbs are holding up well (largely thanks to following this base-building phase), but I'm pretty damn tired most days. Only three more higher mileage weeks though, before the emphasis moves from volume to intensity.
    Summary: 10 miles + 5 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

pretty sure I asked you before but I can't find it - where do you do the indoor climbing ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    pretty sure I asked you before but I can't find it - where do you do the indoor climbing ?
    Hi Paulie, I do it at Awesome Walls in Finglas. Have you climbed before? Happy to show you the ropes (phnar!) if you haven't and would like to give it a try. I was glad to hear Albert Salazar mention the important of core workouts or climbing to supplement marathon training.

Hi Paulie, I do it at Awesome Walls in Finglas. Have you climbed before? Happy to show you the ropes (phnar!) if you haven't and would like to give it a try. I was glad to hear Albert Salazar mention the important of core workouts or climbing to supplement marathon training.

I tiny amount. Probably once or twice on climbing walls. I was looking at somewhere to bring the kids and do a bit myself. not even sure if they want to go or not. Might take you up on that offer, I'll see how I get on...thanks!

Thursday(am): 4 mile easy recovery run on the grass
    With a planned 'fun-race' this evening, figured I'd just plod a few miles to shake the wrinkles out of the legs. Ruining a lot of pairs of shoes and socks with the mud these days though. 4 miles @8:31/mile

Thursday(pm): Fit4Life 2 mile race
    It was Emer's birthday and she was planning on heading out for this race, so I persuaded the kids to come join the fun and make it a family outing. Unfortunately, the eldest fell ill the day before the race, so only three of us headed out to Greystones. These fit4life races are great. A range of distances you'd never otherwise try, just €5 to enter on the day, usually a handful of runners at your standard, and completely hassle free. Last year I'd run a bad race (sprinted too early) and finished 4th. This year, I was going to make sure I didn't make the same mistake, and try and finish a little further up the rankings. It was good to see a handful of similar standard runners, including the lad who'd beaten me well in the Wicklow masters (DL), and Mick Byrne who is returning from illness and would kick my ass, were he fully back to form. A couple of decent juniors filled out the ranks of the startling line.

Mile 1: First mile is downhill, so a fast start, but I got elbowed backwards as the gun was fired, so had to push to make up a bit of lost distance. The leading pack was made up of DL, myself a couple of juniors and another runner I didn't know. We settled into a rhythm, with me slotted into third, when Mick Byrne comes flying past, like he's on fire. It turned out that he'd missed the start and in his efforts to catch us, and nearly ran straight through the other side. Unfortunately, his early sprint efforts must have cost him, as he dropped off the pace a little after the first half mile. I knew time was irrelevant, so I was happy to sit in and stay as relaxed as possible. A small drag raised the efforts a little, but otherwise, I was feeling pretty comfortable. Mile 1: 5:12

Mile 2: We hit the turnabout point and I was in second place, but this was the tougher uphill leg back to the start, and with a 90 mile week, I figure the legs would suffer on this mile. Over the first half of the mile, the junior fell off the pace, so now it was just myself and DL; him in the lead and me chasing in his wake. I figured if I could just hold on as long as possible, I'd at least keep him honest until he pushed on for the finish. Peering through the darkness ahead, I could just make out the gym, which marked the approach of the finish line. I glanced at the watch for the first time, and it showed 1.8 miles. I was waiting for the slightest shift that indicated that he was going to push on. I noticed the pace pick up marginally, but was feeling really good, so with about 400m to go, I decided to take in on. I started picking up the pace and pushing on. All those hill and flat sprints must have really made a difference, as I started really moving. I could see the finish line and couldn't hear DL behind me, but I didn't want to look back. I accelerated through as much as I could, pumping the arms and I was really moving. Crossed the finish line with a 5 second gap, with a second mile of 5:17, and a total time of 10:50. So four seconds faster than last year and a cheeky win. As it turned out, DL wasn't in full health, so can't take too much from the 1st place, but the goal was fun, and I had a blast.
    Summary: 10 miles in total for the day, with ~2 miles @5:25/mile

Friday: 16 Mile medium long run
    Had foolishly considered running the 200m strides prescribed in the plan, but as soon as I headed out, I felt some stiffness in the shins and came to my senses. In hindsight, the 2 mile race the night before was more than a substitute for the semi-session. Instead, I managed to stay out for 16 miles, which was a big win, as it was the weekend's prescribed long run, and I hoped to head to Enniscorthy instead, for the 10k. Nice easy miles around Marlay and Rathfarnham, accompanied by a bucket load of podcasts, I almost failed to notice the cold.
    Summary: 16 miles in 1:55, @7:11/mile

Saturday: 5 mile easy recovery run
    Ermm... Started out as an easy recovery, up one of the nearby trails. Decided to take an overgrown path, which lead in the direction of an old castle ruin, and ended up wading through cow-****, before being re-directed through some fields by some farmer's dogs, climbing under some barbed wire, over a tree, clambered over some more barbed wire before having to outrun a horse, leaped over a couple of stone walls, before eventually making my way back to freedom! Legs felt great afterwards, so I may have to repeat the adventure, next time my legs are a little stiff. Never did get to see the castle ruins though.
    Summary: 5 miles in 45 mins, @8:49/mile

Sunday: Enniscorthy 10k
    Last year wasn't great for 10ks for me; probably due to the fact that I followed back to back high mileage marathon plans, with little emphasis on speed. My PB from September 2012 was 34:51. I managed to take 3 seconds off the time in Dunshaughlin last June, and a further 7 seconds in September. Frankly, pretty sh1te. No improvement, despite taking 5 minutes off my marathon time. Of late, I've been feeling pretty good from a running perspective. This is largely down to cutting out mid-week beer, running high mileage, doing some regular tempos, strength specific work (both from a rock climbing and 5k training plan perspective) and not looking down the barrel of a marathon plan. My legs are feeling great, without the everyday 'arthritis' I associate with marathon training.

So I was really curious to see what kid of shape I was actually in. A few of the lads I run with were heading down to Enniscorthy, it's only €15, it seems to draw a high quality field and has a very good reputation. Also Emer wanted to run it (she's the boss). On a whim, despite not having done any 10k training, I figured sub 34 was worth a pop. It wasn't a goal race, I didn't have a huge amount invested (in terms of training or mental commitment), so if I blew-up, no matter. Met up with Abhainn, ThirstyWork2 and a club-mate and enjoyed a bit of banter during a couple of miles of warm-up. Headed to the start-line and couldn't believe the depth of talent on the start-line for this pretty rural race.

Mile 1: Started well for a change, and got into a decent position. A sharp left turn and we were on the uphill climb. I noticed that TW2 was on my shoulder and together we forged our way up the hill (21m climb). I'd worn a HRM, cos I wanted to see how I fair'ed, just in case I did blew up. Unfortunately, it started slipping down my chest stride by stride, which was a real annoyance. Made it to the top of the hill though, still feeling pretty comfortable, in 5:31, after catching a few groups and pushing on.

Mile 2: Arriving at the top of the hill TW2 forged ahead, which I was a bit of a surprise, as I reckoned he was probably running close to 5:20/mile pace. He chased down and caught a pair of runners (Raheny and SBR?) some 30-40m ahead, but the pace was just too quick for me, so I didn't go chasing after, even though it meant running on my own. Mile 2: 5:30.

Mile 3: IClub-mate had warned me of a hill at half-way, so I was kind of waiting for it and expecting it. Mile 3 had a 10m drag, which I suspected might be the hill, but it was only a prelude. I had the beginning of a stitch (the same one that clobbered me in DCM) and though it started as nothing but a pinch, I felt it growing, and feared that at some point I was going to go through the same slow-down that struck me during the marathon. Still the small group ahead maintained a 50m gap - enough to keep me interested, without feeling I was completely on my own. Mile 3: 5:33

Mile 4: A pretty serious downhill (way more than I figured we deserved, based on the climbing we'd done so far in the race) and I was still feeling pretty good, despite the growing stitch. Passed the 5k mark in around 17:04, and I knew I had some hard work to do, if I hoped to break 34 mins. Next thing though I hit the uphill (after the downhill had dropped us lower than the previous climbs). A tough stretch that felt like I'd slowed to marathon pace, but after half a mile it had leveled out. TW2 seemed to have split the two runners, with SBR moving ahead and Raheny falling slightly behind. Pain in my right side was getting worse and I had a growing sense of doom. I was now running with one hand massing under my ribcage, doing everything I could to loosen the growing cramp. Mile 4: 5:36.

Mile 5: The Raheny runner was coming back towards me, but at the same time, the pain in my side was getting worse. Legs felt great, energy levels were fine, just this fu***ing worsening pain in my side. I got past Raheny, but as soon as I did, the pain became unbearable, and I slowed immediately. He must'a thunk I was shot as I slowed and he flew past me. I was frantically massing my side, trying to change my breathing patterns; doing anything I could think of to try and ease the cramp/stitch. Gradually, I caught Raheny again, and as I fell in step with him, I noticed that the pain as subsiding. Matching his stride seemed to adapt my breathing patterns, which was easing the pain. As soon as the pain started to ease, I knew I was good to go and started picking up the pace, moving smoothly past Raheny and gradually closing in on TW2. The stitch had cost me around 10-15 seconds, but during that time, my HR has eased back completely (167 -> 157bpm), so feeling a little rested, I started pushing on again. Mile 5: 5:49.

Mile 6: The one I'd been waiting for.... The downhill! I caught TW2 and we ran together for a spell, dodging some of the cars that had been allowed onto the race route. I was feeling good, and for a brief spell, even moved ahead! We hit the steeper part of the descent and TW2 surged forward, with me making the most of his forward momentum to tag onto the back of him. Mile 6: 5:27. Eventually we could see the finish line, and we both picked up the pace. No great shoot-out for the finish line, I just couldn't match TW2 for flat speed, and he crossed the finish line two seconds ahead of me.

After some coughing and dry heaving, I checked the watch and was well happy to see 34:15. Considering the fact that I'd given serious consideration to pulling out with the cramp, it was a time I was well chuffed with. I knew the chip would take a few more seconds off (official: 34:11 and a 30 second PB). So in my estimation, breaking 34 is definitely on the cards. I'm still at the base-building stage of my 5k plan, on the back of a heavy mileage week (94.5 miles), so if I can just sort out the stitch, there's more time to come off that PB.. Maybe in Dunshaughlin. Took 15th place and the 'auld lad title, which was a nice result. Getting older, but still getting faster. :D

Summary: 10k in 34:11, @5:30/mile, HR=~166 (a a bit skewed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wow, that's a great time KC. You're seeing big gains from this new plan. It's definitely got me thinking about introducing strides in to some of my easy runs. Will the mileage drop fairly significantly as you get closer to the goal race?

Wow, that's a great time KC. You're seeing big gains from this new plan. It's definitely got me thinking about introducing strides in to some of my easy runs. Will the mileage drop fairly significantly as you get closer to the goal race?
    I think it's more down to the tempo sessions. There haven't been many strides - but rather specific sprint sessions, which have little impact on 10k time, other than giving you a stronger finishing kick. Instead the plan (still at base building phase) is building strength, so the mileage doesn't affect me as much and I'm less fatigued.

My last 10k was in the midst of marathon training and I was pretty knackered, so not very conducive to a good 10k time. I'll be heading into spring with a decent five months of uninterrupted 65-100 miles per week. The mileage peaks the week after next at 100 miles. After that it drops eventually to a more reasonable 65/70mpw with a lot of high quality running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great result. Sub 34 should happen next day out. Any theories as to why the stitch developed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Nice race report,I must have been 16.45 at halfway so.
    There is the fit 10k in the park I might do in 4 weeks.
    My quads a little tender today.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Great result. Sub 34 should happen next day out. Any theories as to why the stitch developed?
    Two thoughts on it: Just after our warm-up, with 10 minutes to go before the race, we legged it back to our cars to put on the race kit. I grabbed a bottle of sports drink and took a pretty big swig out of it. Probably not a good idea that close to the race. Something similar in the marathon where I grabbed a bottle of Lucozade sport at the top of 'Heartbreak Hill', when I noticed that my energy levels had hit the floor. Three miles later (about the same elapsed time as the 10k), I was hit by the same stitch.

My other theory is that it's caused by a form of hyperventilation, brought on by a an inconsistent pattern of striding and breathing. The fact that it improved (and cleared up) when I matched the stride pattern of the Raheny runner might suggest that there's some truth to this (or that it may simply help cure the problem). He must have thought it was pretty strange as I surged past him, only to pull my pace back completely and then push past him again. Probably a little unnerving to have someone bouncing around you like they're on a bungee cord.
    Nice race report,I must have been 16.45 at halfway so.
    There is the fit 10k in the park I might do in 4 weeks.
    My quads a little tender today.
    Yeah, I'd guess that you had a good 100m on me at the 5k point, so probably around 16:45 - 16:50. Surprisingly, my legs felt fine afterwards (to the point that I considered going for a short recovery run when I got home). This morning's pre-brekkie 9 mile run was a little stiff though. :)

Monday: 9 miles + 5.5 miles + 5.5 miles
    Monday was a scheduled threshold run, but maybe, just maybe, I'm getting some smarts, and decided to juggle the schedule and not do a threshold run the day after a 10k race. Not entirely without stupidity though, I still manage to veer left instead of right on the way to work and found myself taking the long hilly 9 mile route. A lunch-time jaunt to the bank notched up another 5.5 miles, and the corresponding run home after work took the total to 20 easy miles for the day. A sore left shin and twitchy right achilles were the reward for my over-zealousness.
    Summary: 9 + 5.5 + 5.5 @~7:25/mile

Tuesday: Run + 5x100m flat sprints
    Bloody freezing, so I nipped home during my warm-up to pick up an extra layer, some gloves and a hat and hit the cinder track after a 9 mile warm-up. :eek: Google Pedometer informed me that the distance between the two goal-posts in the centre of the track was exactly 100m, so I scraped a corresponding start line and finish line across the grit on the track. The 100m sprints were tough, but I gave myself a full recovery after each (around 3:30 including a 300m jog). Self hand-timed, I averaged around 14.7 seconds for each of the 100m sprints. I reckon without 9 mile warm-up and blocks, I'd have these down to just under 10 seconds a piece. <joke>. Stiff and cold three mile run back up to work afterwards, with lots of ice-cream headaches.
    Summary: 13.3 miles

Wednesday: 6 miles recovery + 6 miles recovery
    I have bedimmed the noontide sun,
    call’d forth the mutinous winds,
    And ‘twixt the green sea and the azured vault
    Set roaring war: to the dread rattling thunder
    Have I given fire and rifted Jove’s stout oak
    With his own bolt; the strong-based promontory
    Have I made shake and by the spurs pluck’d up
    The pine and cedar: graves at my command
    Have waked their sleepers, oped, and let ‘em forth
    By my so potent art.
    Summary: 6 + 6 miles crazy recovery

Thursday: 30 minute split threshold run
    The crazy winds of the previous day had calmed a little, but still our office building sounded like it was going to be shaken apart. I headed to the cinder, fully expecting that it would be under two feet of water, or at the very least that I'd have to surrender some seconds to the mighty gusts of wind. In actuality, there was one decent sized icy cold pool of water, but the winds didn't impact too greatly. It was a strong westerly wind, which hit me on the second bend of each lap, but as soon as I got past the head-wind, I had the icy pool of water to re-invigorate me and regain my composure (every track race should have one!).

Split 1: 4,200m in 14:49, @5:40/mile (3:32/km)
    <2 mins easy jog>
    Split 2: 4,200m in 14:54, @5:41/mile (3:33/km)

I won't lie and say they were easy, but they were manageable. No HR figures, as I forgot my watch and had to borrow Keith's 405 (which seems to do a much more accurate job of representing track-based workouts). Three mile trudge upill into the wind afterwards wasn't fun, particularly as slogger jogger drove nonchalantly by afterwards with a little wave, and didn't have the common deceny to offer me a lift. ;)
    Summary: 11.67 miles

He had the common decency not to offer you a lift so as not to interfere with your cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I sort of guessed you were in recovery paced mode after a hard session alright. (cos you were going as slow as me). If you were heading my direction I'd have happily given you a lift :) Great time in Enniscorthy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Good training KC. Any reason why you put a 2 mins recovery halfway through the 30 min tempo?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Good training KC. Any reason why you put a 2 mins recovery halfway through the 30 min tempo?

Because it's in the plan! Thirty minutes at that pace would be too demanding. It'd be a sub 29 minute 5 mile. The threshold runs do get progressively harder, throwing in 5k and 10k sections, but that coincides with the mileage dropping.

Thursday (pm): 4 mile recovery
    Reward for a good threshold session? 4 more miles. Didn't even bother changing out of my gear since the tempo run, just sat in work in my sweaty gear for a couple of hours before heading back out into the dark, windy evening for four miles at 8:18/mile. Despite sticking to the pavements, the slow pace seemed to work out some of the initial stiffness from the earlier session. Followed up with 60 minutes of bouldering, which wasn't the most successful, as the body was just a little too tired.

Friday: 9 easy miles + 5.5 miles w/strides
    Headed out before breakfast with the backpack in absolutely horrendous conditions. Last few miles were into a strong, icy hailstone-packed headwind that gave me a nasty ice-cream headache. Arriving into work, something was wrong. The lights were off. Power-cut in the area. <groan> No hot shower to thaw out, no brekkie. Worst of all, no coffee...:mad: Thankfully, one of the lads gave me a lift home. Headed out again in the evening for an easy 5 miles with strides. Energy levels were rock bottom though.

Saturday: 15 miles with surges
    I had to subdue all sorts of impure thoughts about going racing, but in the end a sore achilles and shin persuaded me that it wouldn't be a good idea and sticking with the plan would be a better investment in effort and time. Had hoped to get out early enough that I'd have time to go out and watch the 50k in Donadea, but the energy levels were low and didn't head off running until 11am. A couple of nasty uphill miles into the headwind didn't help with the energy levels, but as soon as I turned away from the wind, life was good again. Hit the lap button for the 'surge' where the goal was 5 minutes at threshold pace, but with the wind behind me and a gentle downhill it was just too comfortable, clocking in at 5:22 for the mile. I felt like I cheated, so figured I'd do another one once I got down to the cinder track (which had been the original plan, before I decided to cheat!). Lots of icy water features on the cinder to contend with, but clocked in just under 5:40 for the 1,600m. A couple of miles home wrapped up the run at 15 miles. Just an easy 4/5 miles tomorrow to complete the 95 mile week. Strangely, weight is down at/below marathon race weight, following a few weeks of high mileage and healthy living, so will be interesting to see where it ends up.
    Summary: 15 miles in 1:43, @6:53/mile

What condition is the track in Gary? Has it dried up at all? Is the surface badly cut up from recent conditions.

I'm thinking of planning one of my sessions there this week, but if it's in bad nick I'll seek an alternative. The track in Greystones was very badly flooded on Friday evening, not sure what it's like now, although it's not exactly great drying weather! :D

What condition is the track in Gary? Has it dried up at all? Is the surface badly cut up from recent conditions.

I'm thinking of planning one of my sessions there this week, but if it's in bad nick I'll seek an alternative. The track in Greystones was very badly flooded on Friday evening, not sure what it's like now, although it's not exactly great drying weather! :D

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »

Hi Bill, just back from a spin on the track, and can very much confirm that it is pretty water-logged. I'd guess that about 30m of the inside lane is under water. There were sea-birds floating in the pools of water on the East side of the track (though the pools on the west-side are much deeper and wider). Funny thing is, I ain't even joking. Still managed to do my 30 minute threshold session, so as long as you don't mind getting a bit wet, it's still workable! It's pretty warm out there, so I'g guess that much of the water will have drained off/evaporated by tomorrow.

Sunday: 4 miles recovery
    Shocking! A 4 mile recovery run in a 95 mile week. I felt positively lazy, but it suited the mood as I had a dirty hangover from dropping into the Boards beers and rubbing shoulders with the running glitterati. An enjoyable few beers, but it was only when I got home at around 2am that the boss reminded me that I hadn't eaten since lunch-time, which explains some of the cobwebs in my brain. A couple of hours of rock-climbing re-dressed the balance a little, but I still had that niggling feeling that I hadn't run enough. Managed to keep the voices at bay though and the legs felt a little better for it today.

Monday: 2 x 15 minute threshold
    I can now tell long before I get to the cinder, what kind of state it's going to be in. As I pass through Cabinteely Park there are certain puddles that are indicators for just how much rain has fallen. Well today the puddles were massive and I knew I was in for a wet one. I don't think twice about running through the pools of icy water any more, but still today it was pretty excessive, with a water feature at least every 200m and the aforementioned sea-birds posing an additional distraction. Started the first set and of course as soon as I had one lap covered, I noticed my shoe-lace had untied, so I stopped the watch, tied the shoe-lace, and started the session again from scratch. Actually, it felt pretty damn comfortable compared to the same session last Thursday, which may be down to the low mileage day yesterday, more moderate winds, or my growing suspicion that I just run well, the day after 'the day after' a few pints. I hope it's not the latter, as the missus won't be impressed, If I have to knock back a few pints a couple of times a week in the interest of running a solid session. By the end of the threshold, I toyed with the idea of just doing the 30 minutes straight, without a 2 minute break, or alternatively, increasing the load to 2 x 20 mins, but in the end I decided to stick with the plan. It's the peak mileage week (100 miles) and I'm trying to squeeze in a race at the end of the week, so no sense in killing myself just for the sake of it.

Of course I got one lap into the second set and my other bloody shoelace unravelled. Stop the watch, reset, tie shoelace, start all over again. I'd put triple knots in them the last time, so the deep water and fast pace must be complicit in trying to trip me. Anyway, the second set was a breeze too, so not entirely sure what's going on there. One of the things I have noticed in the latest revision of Jack Daniels' book is that early in the program you base your vdot on a recent race performance. At different stages in the program he has you revise your target pace twice, by increasing your vdot by '1' (irrespective of race performances). So it could be just a case that I'm getting used to the threshold and finding te previous targets pretty comfortable. Well, from next week, these sessions incorporate some 5k/10k sections, so I'm assuming it's ok to feel comfortable at the moment and it won't continue for long.
    Split 1: 4,200m in 14:45 @5:38/mile
    <2 mins jog>
    Split 2: 4,200m in 14:50 @5:40/mile

Summary: ~12.44 miles in ~80 mins, @~6:25/mile

Advertisement