Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Never ceases to amaze me that you can do these sessions on your lunchbreak and return to work as a functioning employee!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me that you can do these sessions on your lunchbreak and return to work as a functioning employee!
    The reality is that if I couldn't function as an employee, I wouldn't be able to go out for runs at lunch time - end of story. Thankfully, there are only 2/3 of these type of runs (18-20 miles with quality) in the program which overlap with another long quality session the same week (so I can't swap them around). It's great to be able to do the run at lunch-time in day-light, but it doesn't change my workload, so I just end up working late into the evening to accommodate them. So it's all give and take.

The real victims here are my two colleagues who had to share a meeting room with me for thirty minutes, while rain, mud, sweat and cinder streamed off of me, but I think they're kind of getting used to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Your scaring me, making these sound to easy ;)

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Your scaring me, making these sound to easy ;)
    The first one was! Wish I had a heart rate monitor. I'd have been very interested in the data. The second one wasn't quite the same happy/joy/warm glow experience as the first one. At the end of the day, training times are irrelevant. I wish I had your successful 15 mile PMP session under my belt. Between the two of us, we've one good training plan completed!

Wednesday: 6 mile recovery run
    Easy recovery run after the previous day's session. Just chased Keith around the fields, as he worked his way through his Vo2max session. Nice to watch someone else suffering for a change, while I cut corners to catch up. <evil grin>

Thursday: 6 mile easy/steady run
    I'll be honest, I can't even remember doing this run, the last week has been so busy. But apparently I was feeling comfortable enough, as the record shows an average pace of 6:47/mile.

Friday: 5 miles recovery
    Once again, I'm struck by the fact that I am incapable of running before an arbitrary number of hours have passed in the day. Or more accurately, I'm like a horse and need to be paraded around on my feet for a few hours, before I can run. That's why I try to avoid early morning runs, as they tend to be stiff and robotic affairs, however, on this occasion I had little choice, as I had a flight to catch.

Saturday: 22 miles very, very slow
    Headed off for a lads weekend on Friday (kind of like a stag, but everyone gets to keep their eyebrows) to Biarritz. If I'm being honest, I really didn't want to go, as this marathon has been the primary focus for three months now, and I was worried what the impact of three days of excess might have on my fitness. You could argue that nobody was twisting my arm, but for my own reasons, if I went on the trip, abstinence wasn't really a choice. I have avoided this trip for the last 4 years for this exact reason, but this year decided to throw caution to the wind. It takes a weekend like this for me to realign my priorities and to remind myself that running is supposed to enhance my life, not consume it completely. So I'm very glad that I went and took a break from the self-imposed discipline and temperance. And yes, I went to town for 48 hours, eating good food, drinking good wine and sh1tty beer and getting fnck all sleep. Two reasonable surf sessions (I can't surf for sh1t), but based on how my arms felt afterwards, I definitely got some kind of workout, and I kept up the running. On Saturday morning as the gang got ready to hit the waves, I got ready to hit the pavement, after around 4-5 hours sleep. A token bit of French bread, a banana and some water later, I was ready.

I stepped out of the hotel into bright sunshine, that lasted all of half a mile, before the rain arrived, and it didn't stop for 22 miles. This would have been a lovely run (I really enjoy running in foreign climates) but for the sheets of rain which made it impossible to see. I visited light-houses, golden beaches, piers and estuaries, but saw very little because of the rain. After 9 miles, I had to take off my top because it had been stuck to me for an hour and was now beginning to rub like a cheese-grater. Shortly afterwards the tunes died, as the headphones were permanently claimed by the heavy rainfall. I had left without any nutrition or water for the run, so as I passed a supermarket, I ear-marked it for the return journey, to grab some much needed water. Sadly, because of the Basque influence, this area of France very much still believes in the afternoon siesta, so all of the shops were closed on my return leg. The dehydration was now having a big impact and faced with a very thirsty 10 mile trip back to Biarritz, I pulled up at a supermarket where the owner was leaving for the day and successfully pleaded with her to sell me some water. The return leg wasn't quite as bad (though there were some touch and go moments where walking became a realistic prospect!) before the spirits picked up as I arrived back into Biarritz. On a nice day, without a hangover, this would have been a fantastic run, so under the conditions, I'm just glad I got it done. The 2 hours and 49 minutes it took me, is hopefully a lot longer than I will have to spend on my feet in three weeks time!
    Summary: 22.2 miles in 2:49, @~7:36/mile

Sunday: Hilly 7.7 miles
    Another late night, complete with a repeat of the first day's drinkin', eatin' surfin' and not sleepin' and after a Ryanair flight home, I was ready for bed. But sure you can't be having that, so directed by my daughter to head towards the park, I was as surprised as anyone to find myself in the trails around Barnaslingan and even more surprised to find myself shortly afterwards at the top of Carrigologan. It was the perfect antidote to a weekend of excess and running around the trails with the views of the the lights glittering around Dublin was just cleansing. I left it a little late to return back to earth, so ended up picking my way down the trails in the darkness with no lights, hoping to avoid any twisty ankle episodes. Slow, but magic..
    Summary: 7.7 miles in 62 mins

Monday: Normal service resumes: 7 miles easy + 5 miles recovery
    No rest for the very wicked, I hit Cabinteely Park at lunch-time, and was surprised by the sight of Wigwams, western-style wagons, stage coaches, and lots of people transported from the early 19th century. Surreal. I'm my fluorescent running top, they wouldn't let me anywhere near the filming, so I was rerouted around the park away from the strange activity, but still managed to get a core workout complete on the pull-up bars around the park. Finished up with a 5 mile recovery run around Shangannagh, later that evening.
    Summary: 7 miles @7:17, + 5 miles @7:45

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 10k easy/recovery
    Paired up with Keith for an easy/recovery run, and while he wasn't looking, dragged him half way up the mountain, as far the Blue Light. Sadly, we had to go back to work, so no time for pints (shame to run by this pub and not stop in!). Wore the HRM for the first time in a while, as I had been feeling tired. Certainly nothing in this run that suggests anything wrong.
    Summary: 10 hilly kms, in 49 mins, @7:54, HR=~120

Wednesday: JDA: The workout of three's!
    3 mile warm-up
    3 miles at tempo
    3 miles easy
    3 miles at tempo
    3 miles warm-down

Still feeling tired after the weekend's debauchery (can't handle two late nights in a row any more) and was worried that this would affect my session, but of course you don't lose fitness in a matter of days... In fact, as the mileage is dropping (70 mile target this week) the runs are becoming easier.

Head-wind was very strong down one side of the track, so it was a case of hunching down and fighting into the wind, before rounding the other side and making yourself as tall as possible and trying to pick up the pace with the wind behind you. You can almost make out which side of the track I was on by looking at the HR graph:
    hrwindy.png

Tempo 1: 3 miles in 17:03 @5:41/mile, HR=156
    Tempo 2: 3 miles in 17:06 @5:42/mile, HR=156

Comparing to the last time I did the session (before London), I ran the tempo sections a few seconds faster for the same heart rate, so I'd guess that there's a minor improvement (if you can discount variables like weather/wind etc.). Just one hard session remaining. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my session-buddy to injury, so if anyone fancies a shed-load of 6 minute miles this weekend, please let me know......For the love of Batman, please...... :o

Summary: 15.5 miles in 1:41, @6:32/mile, HR=~139

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Head-wind was very strong down one side of the track, so it was a case of hunching down and fighting into the wind, before rounding the other side and making yourself as tall as possible and trying to pick up the pace with the wind behind you. You can almost make out which side of the track I was on by looking at the HR graph:

Or by looking at the elevation graph? :)

cianc wrote: »
    Or by looking at the elevation graph? :)
    Haha, true! Not too many tracks in the country can boast hill work at the same time as speed-work!

Thursday: 7 miles easy @7:04/mile, with a stop off in ALDI, to check out the running gear (now sorted for winter!).
    Friday: 5 miles with strides, @7:06/mile. In anticipation of Saturday's tough planned session, got some strides done as part of a recovery run. Had forgotten how much strides improve a regular easy/recovery run and make the miles fly by.

Saturday: 6.8 miles with hard 5k in 17:15
    Had planned to do my tough session today, but sadly Pronator had to pull out last week, due to war-wounds (hope you're on the mend buddy!). I managed to rope in Neil from the club (who'd done most of this session with us last time), but he had some lame-assed excuse (something about his birthday:)), so switched the session to Sunday. I was still wide awake at 6am though, and didn't fancy waiting around until sun-up to go for a boring recovery run, so had the bright spark that I'd head out to Griffeen for a Park Run. I figured I'd have a trot around at a pace that wouldn't hamper my session. Planned for around 17:30, but finished comfortably in 17:15, with a little kick at the end to hold off another runner. Good craic, and a much-needed run to scratch the taper-worm itch in my brain.

Sunday: JDA: 20 miles with 15 miles @marathon pace
    This one was important to me. Met up with Neil at Shanganagh gates and headed to 'the loop'. Thanks be to fook for joining a club. Seriously, where else would you get someone to volunteer to go out and run 10 miles in just under 60 minutes, early on a Sunday morning? Neil is staying away from the long stuff at the moment and is running very high mileage, so if I had company for the first 10 miles at marathon pace, I'd be well happy. We set out on the first loop and it was tough from the start. 6mph head-wind for the entire 2.5 mile drag alongside the N11. Rounding the corner and heading south with the wind behind us was a lot more comfortable and we were able to recover and chat a little. Bang on pace, averaging between 5:59 and 6:00 (probably around 5:59'50 Kurt!).

Second lap was tougher, but I was well happy when I hit the turnabout point and our average pace hadn't dropped below 6:00/mile. Knew I'd be facing the last lap on my own and wasn't really relishing the prospect, but nothing for it but to put the head-down and grind it out. Thanked Neil and hit the N11 for the last time. It was pretty rough, but every time I checked the watch, the average pace was glued to 6:00, despite the wind and long drag. Almost punched the air with delight when I hit the turn-point as I knew at that stage I was home safe. Two more miles and the dirty deed was done.
    15 miles in 1:30:00.1 (:eek:), @6:00/mile, HR=154

Hard to imagine another 11 miles at this pace, but.... from last March...
    Really happy with how that went. As always, it's tough to conceptualize running another 11 miles at that pace, but throwing in the added benefits of water (I lost 3-4 pounds of water during the run), sports drinks, gels, other runners, crowds cheering, I'm hoping I'll have enough in the tank to see me through, in three weeks time.
    This time I lost 6 pounds during the run. Not sure why the difference. According to Garmin, it was 7'C warmer, but sure at 10'C, you'd take those conditions on Monday fortnight. No guarantees, but happy that I still have a shot at my target.

Summary: 20 miles in 2:06, @6:19/mile, HR=150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Nice one krusty, super session, some pacing, em metronomic is all i can say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

You're in great form these days KC. I'd struggle doing a session along that stretch of the N11. It's so long and boring. Still, good practice for the long drag in the second half of the DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great session Gary, it's all there

Monday: 5.75 miles recovery
    You know the taper is going well, when a recovery effort run is close to easy pace, the day after a hard session. 5.75 miles @7:27

Tuesday: 5.5 miles with strides
    Some strides in the field across from work, while listening to the budget. Riveting stuff, but anger is a great energy source. 5.5 miles @7:07.

Wednesday: JDA: 3 x 2 miles@ Threshold w/2 mins easy
    Was feeling a little cocky about this one.... until I set off. Legs were feeling dead and I was feeling a bit wobbly. I had managed to avoid the rain, but it left in its wake two large pools of water on the inside of the cinder track large enough to sustain a small school of fish. That was nearly enough for me to throw in the towel, but after three months of graft, it's more difficult to skip a session than it is to complete one. Got ready (peeled off the extra layer), and hit the stop-watch. Immediately the effort level was way higher than it should have been, and alarm bells were ringing, but as I closed on the first lap, I realized that it was because I was running way too fast (10 seconds per lap), likely caused by running the 5k last weekend. I reigned it back in, but it was still too quick, finishing in 11:15, @5:37/mile pace. Running through the puddles reminded me of steeplechase (or what I'd imagine steeplechase is like!), without the jumps.

After an easy 2 minute jog around the pool track, I set off on the next interval, and was a little more cautious with my approach to this one, completing it in 11:30, @5:45 (bang on pace). Last one was reckless again, as I pushed the last lap, to complete it in 11:17, @5:39/mile. Gas when you think that you're chucking out a 36 minute 10k in training, where you would have struggled to hit those numbers in a 10k race, this time two years ago.

Well, that's the last of the hard sessions for this plan. Will try and do a little more quality this weekend, but it's been a hard 4/5 days, so happy enough to dial it back a notch or two (who am I kidding?). The best thing about the P&D taper, is that you never really feel like you're tapering. Sure, the mileage drops (this week is 60% of max), but there is enough quality to sustain you and keep the taper-worm at bay. This race of ours is getting close. I can feel the anticipation building, like the onset of the arrival of santa. I can almost taste the pints. Note to self: must buy beer for race week.
    Summary: 13 miles in 1:27, @6:40/mile, HR=138

Thursday: 10 miles easy
    Saved up some of my rationed weekly mileage and met up with Bray-Neil for a head-torch evening run. Great to hit the hilly Puck's Castle loop for the first time in a long stretch, and between the darkness and head-torches, never noticed that we were plugging away at a decent clip. Great to get away from the street lighting, pavements and cars.
    Summary: 10.6 hilly miles in 73 mins, @6:54/mile

Friday: 7 mile swim
    Had the bright idea of hopping on the LUAS out to Milltown, and running back to work via 'Heartbreak Hill'. I found it tough going last year; more because I wasn't really 'fit for purpose', rather than anything to do with the hill, so I figured a reminder of just how non-intimidating the hill is would serve me well. The only day Keith could join me was Friday, but we managed to snag a lift and as we headed to Milltown, the weather got worse and worse. We stepped out of the car in Milltown to bucketing rain and gale-force gusts, otherwise the run was uneventful. The Hill passed in the blink of an eye and was completely indistinguishable from a flat piece of road (18m over the course of a mile). I know it'll be tougher at marathon pace, but at least i have visual queues for when it starts and ends, for next week.
    Summary: 7.35 miles in 53 mins, @7:16/mile

Saturday: 11.5 miles including 5k in 16:48
    Swapped out 2 x 2 miles at threshold for a visit to Malahide Parkrun. The last time I'd done this Parkrun, I became a victim of my own stupidity, pushed too hard from the second mile and blew up in spectacular fashion, blowing chunks soon afterwards. This time I was going to completely disregard the watch (I switched it to showing the current time only), and my only goal was to have a good competitive run. I'd finished first in Griffeen last week in a pretty comfortable 17:15, so if I could nip in under 17 minutes without getting into any trouble, I'd be happy. I will admin to having a rather silly goal (ever since Peckham mentioned it) of trying to get a first finish in all of the Parkruns. A bit of a vainglorious meaningless undertaking, but sure sometimes motivation comes from strange quarters. Since then, they've added a number of races to the line-up, and some of 'em are very competitive (I may need to catch Ultrapercy and Paddy O'T. on holidays before I take a swing at Westport!), but sure it's just a bit of craic anyway. I did however have my sights set on a first finish in this run.

Mile 1: Had an uncustomary good start and dropped into second place within 10 metres of the start. However, within 50 metres, the runner in 1st place (Garda singlet) had really pushed on, so immediately, I faced a decision: chase him down or maintain a good pace and hope that I'd catch him over the distance. He looked like a strong runner, so I figured that at his pace, he was either shooting for a 15:xx, or shooting himself in the foot. I knew I couldn't sustain the pace he was running at (and might do myself some marathon harm in trying) so I let him off. I looked back to the chasing pack of 6-7 runners who were around 20m back and figured I'd let them catch me and sit in with the group (which had been my strategy before the start of the run). Despite slowing down, there were no signs of them joining me, so it wasn't until we'd run the first loop (~1 mile) before they drew alongside.
    Mile 2: We took the left turn (knowing the route this time around is a pretty big advantage!) but the other runners just weren't keeping pace. The lead runner was now around 50m ahead and showing no signs of tiring. I pushed on a little, leaving the pack and could hear one other runner chasing. Over the next mile, the gap widened from the chasing pack and I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but the lead runner seemed to be getting a little closer. I kept my turns nice and tight, and minute by minute, he was I was gaining on him.
    Mile 3: All of a sudden the distance between us was narrowing rapidly. Just as I reached him, I had time for a quick 'hey', before he fell off the pace almost immediately. I'm sure I came across as a bit of a d1ck, saying 'hi' before taking the front, but I had figured that we'd be running together to the finish line, and hadn't expected him to drop off the pace so completely. I didn't accelerate, I just focused on maintaining the pace, and the gap seemed to widen. I checked back occasionally but it didn't look like there was going to be a last minute assault. I got a little confused when I arrived back at the start, as I felt that I should probably head clock-wise, but the arrow pointed right, so I followed it, sure that I had gone off course. Trust in the organizers, the finish line was just around the corner. One last glance over the shoulder and I finished comfortably enough. Checking the time afterwards I was pleasantly surprised to see 16:48. Far from a PB (in fact I'd run 10 seconds faster on my last visit here), but I ticked off all the goals and ran very comfortably. In fact because the first mile or two were so off-pace, I'd hazard that the closing mile was very quick (Garmin workout data is complete crap).

An easy run back to the car to switch shoes, and I headed back out for an easy 7 miles, to complete the JD workout. Headed out of the park along the coast, in cracking sunshine. What a glorious place to run in, when the weather;s playing ball. Home for an hour or two, before heading for a couple of hours of lead rope climbing with the boss.
    Summary: 11 miles

Sunday: 10k recovery run
    Just an easy recovery run to complete out the 60 mile week (and 3,000 miles for the year!). Would've been nice to hit the 3,000 mile marker somewhere spectacular, like the top of Djouce or Powerscourt, but it's just a number, and all eyes on the prize. Satisfied myself with a recovery run around Cabinteely, interrupting my workout occasionally with some core stuff on the park's abundant exercise equipment.

Summary: 3,000 miles in 292 days @10.24 miles/day, @7:24/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Damnit, missed you again at parkrun! Had intended to take a trip over yesterday, but a combination of lingering jetlag and too many Galway Hookers meant that bed felt like a better option.

You're in great shape. Hopefully will make it out to Grand Canal Bridge tomorrow week to roar you home.

Peckham wrote: »
    Damnit, missed you again at parkrun! Had intended to take a trip over yesterday, but a combination of lingering jetlag and too many Galway Hookers meant that bed felt like a better option.

You're in great shape. Hopefully will make it out to Grand Canal Bridge tomorrow week to roar you home.
    Yeah, I was looking out for you to pass on my congrats, but clearly spending a few extra hours in bed after enjoying a couple of Hookers is time better spent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

National Homebrew Beer Festival!

Right on your doorstep in Dublin!!

Save the date, 26th Oct 2013!!!

:D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    National Homebrew Beer Festival!

Right on your doorstep in Dublin!!

Save the date, 26th Oct 2013!!!

:D
    Damnit, sounds magic! Evil mathematician!

Monday: 11 miles easy with strides
    One of those American calendar type anomaly thingies again, as Jack stipulated 90 minutes easy with strides, seven days out from your goal race. Well, I've stuck with the program this long, hardly any point in falling off the wagon at this stage. Usual foolishness, as I headed for the flat-lands, trying to aovid the hills, and mysteriously found myself on the hilly climb up towards Ticknock. Thankfully I turned off before I hit the top and headed in the direction of Taylor's of Three Rock and Marlay Park, before tucking into some strides.
    Summary: 11 miles in 80 minutes, @7:15/mile

Tuesday: 10.63 hilly miles
    Taper? What taper? Another mess-up, as I met with Bray-Neil for an evening run, and led him on a flat route (over Killiney Hill!) down to Dalkey, and back over the other side of Killiney Hill. Was supposed to run just 8 miles, but distracted by the easy banter, I didn't work out the distances correctly, and we ended up doing an extra few miles. An enjoyable run, but not good taper fodder.
    Summary: 10.6 miles in 74 mins, @6:58/mile

Wednesday: JDA: 4 x 1200m w/2 mins easy
    Last workout of the program, and hopefully the last visit to the cinder track for at least a few weeks. Should've been a piece of p1ss, but was just a little tired from a poor night's sleep and the previous night's run. Still the mini-session passed in the blink of an eye, without any trouble.
    3 miles warm-up: 22 mins, @7:21/mile
    4 x 1200m in: 4:09/4:10/4:09/4:10 (5:34/mile pace).
    ~3 miles warm-down: 22 mins, @7:34/mile

Summary: 10 miles in 67 mins, @6:45/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Some taper there! 20 miler tomorrow? ;)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Some taper there! 20 miler tomorrow? ;)

Lol. I'm cutting back by half a mile per day, so should be ready to race in around two weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

r these ur feet at 1:52

ultraman1 wrote: »
    r these ur feet at 1:52
    Jaysus, how did you spot that?! Stalker!
    And that looks like Paddy O'T from Mayo AC, one second behind me (not for long!).

Thursday: 40 mins easy with strides + 2 hours rock climbing
    Friday: 30 mins easy with strides + sports massage
    Saturday: 3 miles easy with pull-ups

See, I can do taper! (I just wish I could do sleep).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the best on Monday Gary. Can't wait to see what you can produce.

No need to throw your water at me this year, sounds like mother nature is doing that for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck G! Really looking forward to who see who you are going to hold hands with at the finish this time! ;)

Catch ya Monday hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Good luck on Monday, I'm sure you'll get the result all your hard work has warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Huayra

Good luck man, your going to have a great day. Might see ya in Shanganagh sometime when your recovered. Been too long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Best of luck Monday , have fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Good luck on Monday Gary, I'll be giving you a shout around Dolphins Barn

Advertisement