Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

He wishes! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Quality. I love that you had the HRM on for a mile race! Started following your log again at just the right time.
    Ah, I'd never have looked at the HR stats during the race. Would have been eager to read them after the race though, particularly to look at the laps, where the pace slacked off for laps 2 and 3. I would've have looked at the pace information on the watch during the race (despite BB67's warnings that it's near useless), but realize now how futile/misleading that would have been, so I was actually far better off that the watch wasn't displaying the info I wanted.
    04072511 wrote:
    That was a very speedy response to my request. Much appreciated. Can you now try go sub 60 for 400m for me please.
    To be fair I had an idea that I was going to be doing that race. Bit of a coincidence that the discussion came up on the training log earlier that day. :)
    Jaysus, you’re awfully considerate. Drop the niceties for your next track race. There’s no need for any of that.
    I was almost entirely boxed in and wanted to get out of their fast, without tripping anyone or getting tripped. Seemed the most polite way of saying 'I'm moving to the outside now'! Good habits picked up from motorcycling. always make it clear when moving out, otherwise you stand the chance of getting f&*%ed.
    It is a different type of pain to the longer stuff.
    This intrigues me. I'm not sure if this is typical shorter stuff pain, or if it was as a result of asthma + the conditions. Essentially, I had sharp pain in my esophagus (rather than my lungs) which I think was caused by lots of cold damp air forced rapidly into the airways, and the pain was after the race, not during the race. I've experienced this before, when doing intervals in winter. Is this a typical experience of short races, or brought on specifically by the conditions? <no medical advice sought, just wondering about the typical impact of shorter races>

Come on lads, krusty's doing requests this week .
    No (more) ladies clothing. Still getting over the chaffing from Ballycotton.
    Patrick_k wrote:
    Great running Krusty, can't be too many men of your age to have broken the magical 5 min mile?
    I reckon most runners who is in 2:48-2:45 marathon shape should be in a position to do it, particularly if they are doing mile reps at around 5:20/mile. Even more straightforward if you are training for shorter stuff, like 5k, where you would likely be doing shorter reps at a significantly faster pace(e.g. mile pace).

It'd be great to see what kind of damage someone like Abhainn could do. He'd give some of the younger whipper-snappers at the pointy end of the race a schooling. Here's the official results. Three juniors and three seniors ahead of me. Certainly a younger man's game (so Patrick_k, you should be able to easily whip-up a handy 4:42 at least!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Don't be saying that. You looked quite trim running around Ardee.

Ah!! My poor separated-at-birth twin. He got the skinny genes apparently. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

This intrigues me. I'm not sure if this is typical shorter stuff pain, or if it was as a result of asthma + the conditions. Essentially, I had sharp pain in my esophagus (rather than my lungs) which I think was caused by lots of cold damp air forced rapidly into the airways, and the pain was after the race, not during the race. I've experienced this before, when doing intervals in winter. Is this a typical experience of short races, or brought on specifically by the conditions? <no medical advice sought, just wondering about the typical impact of shorter races>

I wouldn't be greatly qualified to talk about 1500m/Mile races as I haven't done many as I am not really suited to them relatively speaking, but without knowing much about the effects of cold damp air and all that, my guess is maybe it is just because your body is not used to travelling at such speeds? You covered the last lap in approx 70 seconds. Have you ever ran at that speed before? It could be your body's reaction to something that you are not used to.

Pain afterwards over short distances is pretty common from my experience. After I finish a 400m race I start to feel dizzy. It is almost like every last ounce of strength leaves me as I cross the finish line. Don't know what the scientific reason is for that but that's my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great going KC - if you did any speedwork at all you would be dangerous.

Maybe we will get a head-to-head in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'd say that was the best 80 Euros you've spent in a long time. Congrats. And so not surprised. :)

Today: 16 mile medium long run
    A little stiff, but not as bad as I had expected. Headed off with work buddy in the direction of the canal, with the plan to head into Griffeen Valley Park. Unfortunately the council had closed the bridge crossing the canal, so we got re-routed towards Adamstown, which threw my pre-planned route out the window. Work-buddy headed back after three miles, and I picked up the pace a little, heading across the Liffey at Lucan, and following the river down to Phoenix Park (beautiful stretch of road, with a mixture of fantastic relics of bygone eras and monstrosities of our current age).

Crossed over the Liffey again at Chapelizod, and headed back through Ballymun along the canal. Nothing quite so aesthetic. Piebalds being washed in the canal, used nappies spilling out of the bins and everywhere the smell of waste.

Summary: 16 miles in 1:59, @7:20/mile, HR=134

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Ballyfermot maybe :)

Sure they're all bally-something. All the same to a country-Dub like me. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

labra park or bluebell.....we dont use nappies in ballyer

Tonight: 4 mile recovery run
    Bit of a struggle. I'm checking my plan every day now, to re-assure myself that taper is coming.
    Summary: 4 miles in 34 mins

Today: 7 miles with strides
    A growing stiffness from Tuesday's race, but two easy days should help that along nicely. Easy recovery run with 6 x strides thrown in. Thinking I may head down to the 5 mile race in Meath on Saturday, as the 1 mile race on Tuesday didn't really fit into the program's 8k - 15k tune-up race, but will see how the legs are repairing.

Summary: 7 miles in 56 mins, @7:40/mile, HR=126

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I'd say it's typical for the distance. Did the exact same thing last year (mile race on a whim in the middle of marathon training) and afterwards it felt like I'd ripped my trachea open, no exaggeration. The feeling lasted for ages too.

Great time, well done.

cwgatling wrote: »
    I'd say it's typical for the distance. Did the exact same thing last year (mile race on a whim in the middle of marathon training) and afterwards it felt like I'd ripped my trachea open, no exaggeration. The feeling lasted for ages too.
    Great time, well done.
    That's great to know cwgatling. Not just me then. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Has happened to me in the mile before alright and even more so in the 800 (county champs 14-15th of May, coming up for you next test ;)) I've always put it down to the rate you are taking (or trying) to take in air. Nothing that you really replicate in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Has happened to me in the mile before alright and even more so in the 800 (county champs 14-15th of May, coming up for you next test ;)) I've always put it down to the rate you are taking (or trying) to take in air. Nothing that you really replicate in training.

Thats some of my memories of running track was almost the taste of blood after an 800m

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    I was going to post on another thread that I hardly ever remember running in the rain in recent months, but this recovery run erased the memory of all of that dry weather. It wasn't 'drops like big gobs of saliva' wet, just 'billions of tiny droplets everywhere' kind of wet. The kind of wet that doesn't make big puddles, but instead fills up your ear-canals. The kind that scurries into those little holes in your mp3 player. Not entirely welcome, but not entirely unpleasant either. A rain-massage.
    Summary: 6 miles in 47 mins, @7:59, HR=~119

Program called for an 8k-15k race today. I toyed with doing the 5k race tomorrow, or even just claiming that Tuesday's track race ticked the box, but inside I would've felt like I was cheating. Along came the Fr. Murphy AC 5 mile road race in Meath, and I even managed to coax the OH to come along and run too and it fit the bill perfectly. I'm not really a 5 mile man (10k races just seem a lot more meaningful) but any port in a storm and a storm it was. The weather on the way down was hellish. A down-pour that created large floods on the motorway, and we were tempted to hit the next off-ramp and turn back for home. But we convinced ourselves it would be better in Kildalkey, and would be perfect come race-time.

Registration was done in a flash and I headed out for a couple of warm-up miles with Mithril, Pronator and Abhainn. We spent most of the time admiring Abhainn's shiny shoes, that clearly allowed him to float over the large puddles during the race, as they were just as clean afterwards, while everything and everyone else was covered in a couple of layers of road dirt.

The plan was to break 28 minutes (and claim those pints that theRoadRunner promised to me back in December (it wasn't a time-bounded bet, was it?!)). I realized that I hadn't figured out what the appropriate target pace was, but reckoned somewhere around 5:35/mile should cover it.

The race kicked off, and as usual, the pace was far too sharp, but instead of dropping back to the nearest group, I picked up the pace and caught up with a couple of lads in front. The watch was showing 5:29/mile, but it felt comfortable so I figured it was fine. As we rounded the first corner and headed down the straight, the average pace was showing 5:39. From that point onwards, I decided to largely ignore the watch and stick with the current pace.

First two miles were comfortable, but after that the hard work started. I just haven't done enough work at this kind of pace to avoid having to grind out a result, but grind I did. Looking up, I could still see the large part of the leading pack after 2 miles, which was a bit of a shock. I made up one or two spots (not that I cared that much) but by 2.5 miles, I was working hard and begging for the finish line. One runner (Rory Mooney) constantly 2 feet away, provided a much needed target, so I bedded in behind him and he dragged me around, before pushing on at around 3.5 miles. The 4 mile marker gave me some small amount of hope, but by 4.5 I was dying a death (and blaming Tuesday's race on my tiredness, which was just an excuse). I didn't know if I could keep going, but finally, I saw a housing estate up ahead, which signaled a return to civilization, and hopefully, the finishing gantry. Entered the estate, and made out the time on the clock, which read 27:26, with around 120m and a couple of bends to go. For some reason I am magnetically attracted to finish-line clocks, so I picked up the pace to get better acquainted, and crossed the finish line in 27:44 (unofficial).

Watch measured the course short by 100m, but analyzing the route afterwards, I reckon the weather created problems with accuracy (or else the US is gearing up for war again, and has re-deployed some of their satellites!).

The usual arrival of phlegm from the very depths of Mordor left me doubled-over and dry heaving for a couple of mins, but I soon recovered enough to enjoy the new PB. Four minutes off my last 5 mile race, but it was in 2009, so it doesn't really count. :) Happy that I'm hitting the right notes in training and racing, and have definitely jumped a level from my Chicago build-up. Is it enough? Who knows, but I'm certainly giving myself a decent chance and picking up lots of PBs along the way.

Race: 5 miles in 27:44, @5:36/mile, HR=170 (Max=178), TE=4.3

Total: 10.6 Miles for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff Krusty, the same thing happened me in Raheny when I rounded a corner and the av pace sudddenly dropped by 15sec/mile. My watch ended up measuring the course short but the GPS Line showed me flying over a Row of houses instead of running around said corner. We need to learn to trust the Jones counter more than our Garmins, besides I alway find I run a better race when I run by feel rather than by watch...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done on the pb today mice running. Think you need to get onto your mates @ garmin as there was strange stuff going on today, any info on electrical storms and gps issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good man great running. I'll buy you those pints next time I see you. Hopefully it's a Thursday night in my local as they have 3 euro pints for pensioners ;)

Seriously well done expecting a nice pb in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great running racing just stick to plan now and stay on top of any niggles and Boston will be a breeze - any readjusted targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great run Krusty....really good stuff.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Any readjusted targets?
    Nah. Still foolish enough to stick with my original target. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

super running krusty. You gave Father Time a wedgie once again. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Super running this week, two great PBs. Love the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Well done yesterday. We have had a few complaints from residents along the course complaining about a mad runner vaulting over their ditches/fences in an attempt to go as the crow flies. Wasn't you by any chance?

Well done yesterday. We have had a few complaints from residents along the course complaining about a mad runner vaulting over their ditches/fences in an attempt to go as the crow flies. Wasn't you by any chance?
    Nah, I was the one in the Sli Cualann bib, driving the Massey across the ditches. I was sorry we didn't manage to get another pillager for our flat-lands raiding party. We would have had a decent shot. Of course we'd have to spell the name of the club right (three different spellings on the results sheet. :)).

• Advertisement

Today: 20 mile medium long run
    Should have checked the weather forecast before deciding to join the family in town, via a 20 mile coast run. Beautiful day, but for a fresh breeze along the coast. Should have run in the opposite direction, with Killiney Hill (the only blip along my otherwise pancake flat run) towards the end of the run. But it was nice to meet up with the family after their 5k MSB race, and grab some recovery protein and carbs (and a wonderful glass of beer :D) after all of our respective runs. Ran without water/gels, so had worked up a hefty thirst/appetite by the time I finished. It's been another tough training week, with 84+ miles. Just one more 80 mile week, then taper.

Summary: 20 miles in 2:24, @7:11/mile, HR=~135, TE=2.9

Advertisement