Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

macinalli wrote: »
    Just trying to guess which of these are due to no beer in the fridge :pac:
    ...and elevated morning pulse. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

About time to start thinking about:

I scored 8/15. So not too bad. But definitely worth keeping an eye on the list.

Ive noticed physical symptoms can bring on some mental fatigue, doubt etc.

I had a massage last week and knocked about 6 points off the list in one go.
    Have knocked a few off after one sessions of strides too. The mileage can leave you feeling stiff a lot, which can be a worry.

My new plan is to keep on top of the stiffness, massage, strides etc so that i can get a clearer view of tiredness etc.

I also run some easy runs, very easily now when called for.

T runner wrote: »
    I also run some easy runs, very easily now when called for.
    I find that high-mileage mid-week has a very tiring affect on me, as when you couple it with long work-days and work-related stress it has a significant impact. Weekends aren't as bad (bear in mind I've no young children in the house!) as I'm not in a high-adrenaline state for the rest of the day and can sleep a little longer.

Speaking of:
    Today: 6 mile recovery run
    A little stiff today, so hit the grass of Corkagh with work-buddy, for an easy 6 miles. Legs feeling a good chunk better. Another 4 miles this evening (third double of the week?), then two easy recovery days to rest up for Ballycotton.
    Summary: 6 miles in 49 mins, @8:11/mile, HR=~121, TE=2.0

Evening: 4 Mile Recovery run + Core + Weights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

About time to start thinking about:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Symptoms of over-training
    Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
    Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
    Pain in muscles and joints
    Sudden drop in performance
    Insomnia
    Headaches
    Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
    Decrease in training capacity / intensity
    Moodiness and irritability
    Depression
    Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
    Decreased appetite
    Increased incidence of injuries
    Elevated morning pulse
    A compulsive need to exercise
    Lied about feeding ducks

I scored 8/15. So not too bad. But definitely worth keeping an eye on the list.

I think you mean 9/16. ;)

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 7 miles with strides, along the canal
    Nice tootle along the canal with some strides thrown in for good measure. Legs feeling very tired. Hoping for a magical recovery for tomorrow's race.
    Summary: 7 miles in 51 mins, @7:22/mile, HR=~130

Yesterday: 6 mile recovery run
    Few beers with some old mates on Friday evening, to set me up for a good race on Sunday (we all prepare in our own little ways!) and I needed a couple of miles to clear the cobwebs from the beers, and the long drive down to Ballycotton. Great to be able to run around the country roads where my mum grew up, and my granddad used to deliver milk. A different way of life down here. Horses (and riders) cantering along the beach, pigs in people's front gardens, a village with one pub, sunshine. Perfect recovery.
    Summary: 6:16 miles in 46:50, @7:29/mile, HR=124

Last night: Finally the watch got it's inaugural outing in the 25m lap pool in the hotel. Worked pretty well, except that it clocked me with an extra lap (5 laps instead of four). Think I'm ready for triathlon yet? Not sure what all this information means, but I'm guessing it's pretty much the equivalent of: you suck.

Jumping backwards 12 months in time, I lined up at the 34th Ballycotton 10 mile road race. At the time I wasn't training hard (50mpw, no sessions), so the idea was to get around the course and enjoy myself. I finished that day comfortably in 61 mins. Not a PB, but an enjoyable day out, without pushing myself too hard. That day, I made the decision that I'd be back this year, with a single goal in mind; a top-100 finish, but more specifically, a top-100 finisher's tshirt (I'm all about the stuff!).

Fast forward to this year, and I was single minded in my goal. The tshirt. As part of my Boston marathon training I've been doing tempo runs at 5:50/mile, and some of them felt pretty comfortable, so I figured it was an achievable target, giving me a goal of approximately 58:30. Dumped my gear, and got kitted out, only then realizing that I'd brought the OH'es shorts. :o Very snug (yep, there's definitely a theme there).

Met up with a bunch of Bray Runners I hadn't encountered before (I've only been with the club a couple of months and don't train with them too often, but a more welcoming bunch you'd be hard pushed to find), before taking some great advice from Gringo and teasing my way into the elite pen. Met another club-mate there (Finn, who had a great result to finish bang on target in 56:25) and then maneuvered my way to the back of the pen before the gun. Some interviews and dodgy tunes, and then we were off (about 15 seconds ahead of plan!).

First mile is down-hill, and you're immediately surrounded by throngs of runners who break out in an all-out sprint, only to tire (or retire) within the first mile. The aim was to avoid tripping on anyone, as shoulders were bumped, heels clipped and to try to ease myself into target pace gradually on the downhill. First mile: 5:50 - Perfect. Next couple of miles were spent at the back of some pretty large groups (20+), where I continued to get my heels clipped and elbows jostled (part and parcel of a pretty competitive race). We had a head-wind, so I just kept the head down, and try to relax as much as possible (5:49, 5:54, 5:51). I checked the watch every few minutes just to make sure the pace was ok. If I noticed it dropping to 5:52, I worked my way through the pack and pushed on to the next group. I hit half-way in 29:39 and found a pretty strong group, so bedded in for a while.

I was feeling surprisingly comfortable. I thought about increasing the pace a little, but with the hills coming at 8 and 9 miles, I figured I'd save my energy for the final stages. After mile five we turned back towards Ballycotton and the wind was behind us. Without the cool breeze, the temperature rose swiftly, and the work levels went up, but still the pace was good (5:52). I pushed on from the group and caught a couple of strong runners, one of whom was giving out, as no-one would take their turn in the lead and help break the wind. I gladly volunteered, but when I got to the front of the group, I was feeling good, so pushed onwards and ran shoulder to shoulder with a Rathfarnham runner for the next couple of miles (5:45, 5:45).

Between 8 and 9 we hit the first of the hills, and had to dig a little, but I've been running lots of hills recently, so they didn't hit me too bad, though the HR increased a jot (5:51 for mile 9). Delighted to hit the start of the final mile despite the hills and I picked up the pace, leaving the other runners behind. Picked up one or two spots on the return to Ballycotton village, and was running fast, but at this stage, I was on my own. With 500m to go, I thought I might have over-cooked it, but held the pace. Eventually, I saw the gantry, and the clock was ticking off 58:20 with 100m to go. Picked it up, to cross the line (mile 10: 5:38) with around 58:38 on the clock (58:37 chip-time, and 58:35 on the watch). I struggled through the finishing chute for another 20m, and the clouds separated. I was blinded by a searing ray of light. While cherubs sang, an angelic hand proffered my covetted reward - the holy relic Ballycotton top-100 tshirt. Happy out. Definitely an extra 10 seconds to be gained, just from wearing my own shorts. :) Again, an amazing race, and one I'll gladly return to, as often as I can.

On the way back to watch out for Mrs Clown, I bumped into the Rathfarnham runner I'd run should to shoulder with for a couple of miles. Turns out, I paced him to 3:15 in the last Dublin marathon (his first race). Now in just his 5th race outing, he ran sub 59 mins for 10 miles. He thanked me for pacing him in his first and most recent race, which gave me a laugh. Don't think I'll be pacing that lad again at his rate of progress.

Summary: 10 miles in 58:37 (official), 5:52/mile, HR=165, TE=5.0 (over-reaching?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Nice run, more to come next year I'd sure!

Didn't spot you around the town this year despite my many wanderings back & forth during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Well done yesterday, solid bit of running.
    Dumped my gear, and got kitted out, only then realizing that I'd brought the OH'es shorts. :o

And I get grief for running in my boxers. In fairness Gary you've got the arse for women's shorts :D

jessica_ennis_pa_4ae8321afe0e88ee1e325f8dba27135b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good man KC- a t-shirt worth framing!

Any photos of the shorts?

Izoard wrote: »
    Any photos of the shorts?
    Here you go (note: may not be work-safe, depending on where you work!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Here you go (note: may not be work-safe, depending on where you work!).

I think you look better in the UK Athletics colours, above...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Welldone KC , great race ! handy as ever to ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great stuff, your like a metronome with the pacing, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Your progress is brilliant, (almost in danger of taking it for granted!), well done on getting a tshirt. That's one you can wear with pride (ladyboy Pride in your girly shorts;)).

Your progress is brilliant, (almost in danger of taking it for granted!), well done on getting a tshirt. That's one you can wear with pride (ladyboy Pride in your girly shorts;)).
    Cheers Dpop. Unfortunately, there seems to be a direct correlation between how hard I train, and the results I achieve, which is not really the kind of news I really wanted to hear. :( I was hoping for some kind of inverse correlation, where less effort = greater gains. :)

Oops! Packed me wife's skin tight shorts, I did. Merely an accident, lads....really....

I think he's out of the closet, boys. ;);)

Congrats, Krusty, super job as always!! Let's just hope that somewhere in the race fine print you aren't disqualified for cross dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats KC. Impressive as ever! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Hi Krusty sorry to hijack your log but have a training question for you???

I see you train in Corcagh Park, you know the hill that goes from the camping park to the fishing lake/pond, is that enough of a hill for hill interval training?

Thanks for your help,
    Lynn

• Advertisement

Cutex wrote: »
    Hi Krusty sorry to hijack your log but have a training question for you???

I see you train in Corcagh Park, you know the hill that goes from the camping park to the fishing lake/pond, is that enough of a hill for hill interval training?

Thanks for your help,
    Lynn
    Hi Lynn, I'm only just back from Corkagh Park, so that hill is fresh in my mind! Is this the one you're talking about? I wouldn't have thought that that hill would make you work hard enough to consider it for hill reps. It looks like a 40 foot climb (12m), from the carp lake to the top of Corkagh Park (beside the N7), over the course of 0.4 miles, which just doesn't offer the necessary climb.

I'm trying to think of decent hills in the area, but it's generally quite flat! Some of the roads out of Lucan have some pretty decent hills, but after that, the only place I can think of is the far-side of Tallaght. Anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Maybe from the gate of the park at n7 up to the kingswood bridge??? Great stuff yesterday krusty, your in great share for Boston. What's the goal?

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Maybe from the gate of the park at n7 up to the kingswood bridge??? Great stuff yesterday krusty, your in great share for Boston. What's the goal?
    Thanks Ronnie085. Plan is to have another stab at the goal I missed in Chicago, which was 2:42. After yesterday's run, 6:11 miles are certainly going to 'seem' a little easier, so it was a solid confidence booster. Certainly I'll look forward to tempo runs at that pace with a little more positivity! I would've though the hill up to the Roundabout would be s bit too easy too, but perhaps I've just been doing it wrong?

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    Nice easy uneventful run around Corkagh Park. Body in better shape than I deserve. No niggles other than the now-constantly sore knee. Hoping I can make it to Boston before I break it.

Summary: 6 miles in 49 mins, @8:10/mile, HR=~120, TE=2.0

Last night: Finally the watch got it's inaugural outing in the 25m lap pool in the hotel. Worked pretty well, except that it clocked me with an extra lap (5 laps instead of four). Think I'm ready for triathlon yet? Not sure what all this information means, but I'm guessing it's pretty much the equivalent of: you suck.

This is the first time I've seen the swimming data on Garmin - way cool. And I'm drooling with delight at how your swimming sucks has real potential. A few sessions with dpop down at the local swimming hole and I'd bet my brother's first wife that you'll be ready to squeeze into your first men's trisuit. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen the swimming data on Garmin - way cool. And I'm drooling with delight at how your swimming sucks has real potential. A few sessions with dpop down at the local swimming hole and I'd bet my brother's first wife that you'll be ready to squeeze into your first men's trisuit. ;)
    On a positive note: I can swim 25 metres, before having to stop to allow my heart rate to return to non-cardiac arrest levels. On a negative note: everything else. I once let D'pop beat me in a race (;)) and he's been shoving it in my face ever since. No way I'm going anywhere near a pool with him. :D

Evening: 4 mile recovery run
    Dropped the young fella (not so young any more) off to footie, and took the opportunity to do my second recovery run in pastures new. An easy four miles along the coast, and around the impressively renovated Dun Laoghaire Pavillion before returning home. Main course was a serving of P&D Advanced core workout, with 24 x 2 x 4 weights for afters. Rest days ain't what they used to be.

Summary: 4 miles in 32 mins, @8:01/mile, HR=117

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I once let D'pop beat me in a race (;)) and he's been shoving it in my face ever since. No way I'm going anywhere near a pool with him. :D

What, Trooperstown 2009? Great, long, sprint finish. I'll probably write a book about it some day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Hi Lynn, I'm only just back from Corkagh Park, so that hill is fresh in my mind! Is this the one you're talking about? I wouldn't have thought that that hill would make you work hard enough to consider it for hill reps. It looks like a 40 foot climb (12m), from the carp lake to the top of Corkagh Park (beside the N7), over the course of 0.4 miles, which just doesn't offer the necessary climb.

I'm trying to think of decent hills in the area, but it's generally quite flat! Some of the roads out of Lucan have some pretty decent hills, but after that, the only place I can think of is the far-side of Tallaght. Anyone? :confused:

Thanks Krusty. Looks like I'll have to head into the Khyber after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the run Krusty. Hang onto that relic of a teeshirt, there's a group going around robbing relics at the moment, apparently

• Advertisement

Cutex wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty. Looks like I'll have to head into the Khyber after all!
    Here's some general guidelines:
    A marathon runner might use a 3 percent grade, running long hill reps Half marathon--600-800 meters at 4 percent 10k--try 60-75 second hills at 5-6 percent grade 5k and below will probably do 30-45 seconds up a steeper grade. But all runners should do a variety. Use two or three hills.

Here's an article on hill reps, where most types of reps seem to require a 5-7% grade, however, it seems the steeper the hill, the better the potential benefit (as long as it's runnable!).

Advertisement