Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Aimman wrote: »
    Well done on the run Krusty. Hang onto that relic of a teeshirt, there's a group going around robbing relics at the moment, apparently
    Well, as Ultraman reminded me, it's not as exclusive as the Donadea Tshirt, as there are only 70 of those handed out after his race (to the top 70 finishers). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cutex wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty. Looks like I'll have to head into the Khyber after all!

Hi Cutex.
    Kyber really wouldn't be a hill for hill reps either. It is more a long gradual one, but the incline isn't much (about 1-2% I think). I think it is best to look for a short steep one for hill repeats.
    If you are in the Clondalkin Area, I would suggest the Woodford Hill, from 'The dutch Village' side up to the R'about at Monastery rd.

It is about 300m long with about a 5-6% gradient. I just mapped it here: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/72973714/

Another option would be the Chapelizod Hill Rd between Chapelizod and Ballyfermot. It is a fair bit steeper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Military Road is a good bit steeper than the Kyber, IIRC.
    Or maybe it's just that I usually end up running down the Kyber and up Military :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Military Road is a good bit steeper than the Kyber, IIRC.
    Or maybe it's just that I usually end up running down the Kyber and up Military :rolleyes:

There's a few options in the park but the one in Chapelizod is a beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There's a few options in the park but the one in Chapelizod is a beauty.

Yep big time, I think the Kyber area is great, if you go a bit off road the hill at the fort is great and there are lots of options for different sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Summary: 10 miles in 58:37 (official), 5:52/mile, HR=165, TE=5.0 (over-reaching?)

Well done Boss, thats a solid run.

Whats TE by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice running, KC. You make it all sound so easy. Where did you place (M40 on top, F40 on the bottom) ?:)

tunguska wrote: »
    Well done Boss, thats a solid run.
    Whats TE by the way?
    Cheers Tunguska. TE is Garmin's Training Effect. It tracks effort levels during your workout, and tries to establish the impact on your aerobic fitness. Seems a bit gimmicky to be honest. Doesn't really tell you anything you that you can't figure out yourself pretty easily, and it's based on HR data, which is flaky at best.

Tonight: 10 mile road/hill/trail run

Couldn't get out for a run at lunch-time due to work, and although the legs were feeling pretty good I figured it'd be safer to juggle the schedule and do the 600m reps another day. So I headed for the hills to get a bit of an aerobic workout, without putting too much pressure on the body. A superb respite from all of the recent road running, even in the dark, the views from the top of Carrickgollogan are really spectacular. Mentally recharged.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:19, @7:57, HR=128, TE=2.6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is 3 great hills in Lucan for training, we used them with the club.

There is Laraghcon hill.
    St Mary School hill
    And on the other side there is the hill from the Statoil Station up to the funeral home, this is a beauty for training.

PM me if you need moe details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Tonight: 10 mile road/hill/trail run

Couldn't get out for a run at lunch-time due to work, and although the legs were feeling pretty good I figured it'd be safer to juggle the schedule and do the 600m reps another day. So I headed for the hills to get a bit of an aerobic workout, without putting too much pressure on the body. A superb respite from all of the recent road running, even in the dark, the views from the top of Carrickgollogan are really spectacular. Mentally recharged.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:19, @7:57, HR=128, TE=2.6

I've love to do a run like that sometime soon. Give me a shout the next time you have it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Thank you Krusty, menoscemo & average runner!

Lots of options there. I've only ever attempted chapelizod hill once it's a killer, would have been quicker walking it.

I know the woodford hill well, love running down it must try running up it for a change! So Saturday Woodford Hill it is, not brave enough for Chapelizod yet.

Thanks again

I've love to do a run like that sometime soon. Give me a shout the next time you have it in mind.
    Yeah, definitely. Only problem is that you need a head-torch (at least for the next couple of months anyway) as the ground is pretty uneven on the trails.

Today: 15 mile medium long run + 4 mile recovery
    Ugh. Not a fun-run. Headed down the canal for 7.5 miles with the wind behind me, before turning back and facing into the wind. The laws of physics were clearly fecked, as I didn't benefit as much from the wind as it cost me on the miserable 7.5 mile trek back to work. Slog-fest. The follow-up 4 mile recovery run was equally splendid. Wednesdays are the new Mondays.

Summary: 15 + 4 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

nice time posted in ballyc, nothing less that what you've earned...

Today: 6 Mile recovery run: A typical run around Corkagh, and as usual, started out as a stiff and arthritic affair, but by the end, I had limbered up and was contemplating more. Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.
    Summary: 6 miles in 48 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

You seem to have gotten quite disciplined keeping your recovery runs at proper recovery run pace. Any tips? I struggle to keep it near 8min miles, even at silly o'clock in the morning when I'm still half asleep. I wonder sometimes if it's jeopardising proper recovery - for example this week is a total struggle after Sunday's exertions.

Peckham wrote: »
    You seem to have gotten quite disciplined keeping your recovery runs at proper recovery run pace. Any tips? I struggle to keep it near 8min miles, even at silly o'clock in the morning when I'm still half asleep. I wonder sometimes if it's jeopardising proper recovery - for example this week is a total struggle after Sunday's exertions.
    They key is to be permanently fricking tired, so 8 min/mile feels like 6 min/mile. :)
    For today's recovery I was out with a buddy, so the pace was easy (though I couldn't have run much faster for the first few miles anyway). Recently I've started playing with the watch, and using a workout with a max/min pace (7:50-8:50/mile). The constant lights, buzzing and beeps soon keep you in line! But the truth of the matter is, on the high mileage plan, I actually welcome the runs at recovery pace.

Any interest in a long run in Phoenix Park on Sunday?

Sounds good. Am out on Friday night, so suits me to move long run to Sunday. Had planned on 20+ steady miles, but can be flexible. 11am Papal Cross?

Sounds good. Am out on Friday night, so suits me to move long run to Sunday. Had planned on 20+ steady miles, but can be flexible. 11am Papal Cross?
    Hi Peckham, 20+ steady sounds good, as does the Papal Cross at 11am. What's steady pace? 7:00-7:20/mile? I'm toying with the idea of racing tomorrow, so may be a little stiff and slow starting out!

Anyone else fancy a few laps of the park?

Pace sounds about right - maybe closer to 7:15-7:30.

Have PM'd you my mobile number, send me yours in case of any delays/problems.

Have stuck it up in the Group Training Sessions thread, but there's probably more traffic through this log!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Hi Lads,
    I'd be interested in joining you for 10 miles at that pace. I'm Boston bound as well. I'm doing my long run on Saturday due to night out on Saturday.

Morning: 7 Mile recovery run with strides
    Tossing around the idea of a race tommorrow (it's in the schedule, but then last week's race wasn't) so took it easy this morning with some strides. Still feeling stiff as a board.

Summary: 7.1 miles in 54 mins, @7:43/mile, HR=~125

wideball wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    I'd be interested in joining you for 10 miles at that pace. I'm Boston bound as well. I'm doing my long run on Saturday due to night out on Saturday.
    Sounds good. The more the merrier, though if you're running on Saturday I fear we'll miss you.

I figure Sunday's run will help with the "recovery" from Saturday night.. I'll send a PM with my details. Tks

Today: 9 miles with 5 x 600m @5k pace
    Found myself in Monaghan for the night, and just happened to locate a race 20 miles north of where we were staying (north of the border), but in a moment of sanity, I decided to opt for a bit of life/run balance and gave the race a miss. Later in the day, I opted for the session I had missed earlier this week, because of its close proximity to last weekend's race. I don't usually find this session too hard, but it's the bloody garmin that kills me. Every time I hit a bend with a copse of trees, the average pace on the watch crumples. Aarghh.. So even though I know I'm still running consistently, I end up running faster to compensate for the crappy technology (just like Skynet of the future, I'm a slave to technology).

Anyway, cranked these out in: 1:58, 2:01, 1:58, 2:00 and 1:54. Last one I figured I'd see what 5 minute/mile felt like. It felt rather tough. But then nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

Summary: 9 miles in 1:03, @7:03/mile, HR=~141

Today: 22 Mile steady long run
    Runners (male runners anyway) are basically liars.
    Me: Peckham, what pace do you want to run at?
    Peckham: 7:15 - 7:30/mile.
    Me: Grand.
    Actual average pace: 6:58/mile.

A very solid long run with Peckham and Wideball in Phoenix Park. I left Shankill bathed in sunshine, with thoughts of singlets and sun-tan lotion, but 25 minutes later in the centre of Dublin it was cold and overcast. Met up with the lads, and we basically chatted our way around the park. Nice to meet Wideball, who I've got to think is a strong favourite for hitting his sub-3 in Boston, if he can run 10 miles at 7min/mile, the day after his long run. We said goodbye to him after 10 or 11 miles, and then Peckham seemed to tire of my incessant chatter so decided to pick up the pace in an effort to shut me up. It didn't work though. Some good hills towards the end, with both the Glen Road and Kyber, before easing back a little for the last mile.

Highest weekly mileage ever, with 83.5 miles and I'm feeling it a little now. Found it difficult dismounting from the motorcycle, after the 30 minute ride back form the park.

Summary: 22.25 miles in 2:35, @6:58/mile, HR=139, TE=3.3 (Improving).

Thanks for an enjoyable few hours. Miles flew by.

1999 calories according to your upload. Where's the impact of your extra 25 metre loop?!

1999 calories according to your upload. Where's the impact of your extra 25 metre loop?!
    I think I'd turned off the flipping GPS at that point, so no extra calories. There goes that final bottle of beer. :( My old watch would recorded at least 2,300 calories for that same run (a lot more recovery beer). Thinking of going back to the old watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I think I'd turned off the flipping GPS at that point, so no extra calories. There goes that final bottle of beer. :( My old watch would recorded at least 2,300 calories for that same run (a lot more recovery beer). Thinking of going back to the old watch.

I think your new watch is spot on. Your metabolism slows down with age. You're not a young man anymore :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the company today lads, cream crackered...

Advertisement