Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u doin half or ultra on sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u doin half or ultra on sunday..
    There is a third option you know!

But I'm doing the half. Will be sitting on the grass supping on pints, while you fellas are slogging it out around the hills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u advertising ballycotton or donadea:p.....best of luck,....if i see u, either ur walkin ,i got my EPO in the post or im on the bus of shame....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u advertising ballycotton or donadea:p.....best of luck,....if i see u, either ur walkin ,i got my EPO in the post or im on the bus of shame....
    Haha. This time I'll be advertising Sli Cualann or Bray Runners (I'm having a bit of an identity crisis). I might run back to the bottom of the hill to give you some moral support. Or I might just stay on the grass sipping those pints. Choices, choices.

Me on the grass sipping pints -> :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi;

You can now avoid the Nass Road by running on the link road that goes up by lidl in belgard(where luas runs) and goes up to Pfizer. Not much traffic that way either and tarmac all the way.

• Advertisement

Hi;

You can now avoid the Nass Road by running on the link road that goes up by lidl in belgard(where luas runs) and goes up to Pfizer. Not much really traffic that way either and tarmac all the way.
    Hi average_runner, I'd say 60% of my runs involve those roads (do all of my intervals in Belgard alongside the LUAS, and have to run the link road to get pretty much anywhere). I'm just one of those people who has to constantly find new places to run, so my runs bring me further and further afield. I'm running out of locations to run around Clondalkin, but my work office may be moving to shortly, which will hopefully open up a whole new avenue of roads and trails to run. Thanks for the tip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi average_runner, I'd say 60% of my runs involve those roads (do all of my intervals in Belgard alongside the LUAS, and have to run the link road to get pretty much anywhere). I'm just one of those people who has to constantly find new places to run, so my runs bring me further and further afield. I'm running out of locations to run around Clondalkin, but my work office may be moving to shortly, which will hopefully open up a whole new avenue of roads and trails to run. Thanks for the tip though.

Should maybe look at the Domain in Lucan, its down in the village by McDonalds. Its a big park place with nice big hills, running beside the liffey etc. Our club runs there on Sunday mornings alot. If you need maps of the area i will get one off my garmin on monday for you.

Should maybe look at the Domain in Lucan, its down in the village by McDonalds. Its a big park place with nice big hills, running beside the liffey etc. Our club runs there on Sunday mornings alot. If you need maps of the area i will get one off my garmin on monday for you.
    Had a nice run out there a few weeks back. It is indeed a lovely spot. It's about 4 miles to get there from where I work, so I can only run it on longer runs (13+ miles). I reckon I've run around 1,800+ miles in this area over the last 12 months, so there are very few spots I haven't seen, but if you have any more suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Today: 11 Mile aerobic run
    Just the 11 miles today (feels a little like cheating) and despite the shortened run, I just couldn't get into it. Felt a little dead on my feet, but have two back to back easy days, for the first time in months. Nice run around Griffeen Valley Park in the sunshine. A rewarding break from a horror-show of a day in work.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:20, @7:19/mile

Morning: 6 mile recovery with strides
    Busy day with work and I'm hitting the road for Connemara later, so took advantage of the fact that I'm still waking up early after the clock change, to head out for an early morning recovery run. Body still stiff and tired. That I am currently in taper mode has clearly not been communicated to my legs, who are holding true to their tired and weary mantle. Still, always good to get the run done nice and early, so I can have a restful day. Another 6 miles tomorrow should see some suggestions of recovery, before their next thrashing on Sunday.

Summary: 6.17 miles in 47:39, @7:43/mile, HR=123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great running Gary - fantastic result!

Izoard wrote: »
    Great running Gary - fantastic result!
    Thanks, but it wasn't no ultra! Congrats on popping the Connemara ultra cherry, and in a damn fine time too!

Saturday: 6 Mile recovery run
    Nice easy run, getting lost around the country lanes surrounding Roscommon town, and finishing up with the ever-unique quick trot around the inside perimeter of Roscommon Castle. Legs still feeling the effects of high mileage weeks, but hopefully on the mend.

Summary: 6 miles in 48:12, @7:49/mile, HR=~120

We were greeted by fantastic running conditions, perfect for a bit of heat acclimatisation, and an opportunity to top-up the tan. Arrived in Leenane at around 10:30am, which left plenty time to catch up with the Lecheile gang and various other familiar faces lining up for the half marathon. A couple of easy warm-up miles, and then I lined up at the front of the race. There were a couple of rows of club runners interspersed with the usual iPod wearing GAA supporters, but it looked like quite a few 'skinnies' had turned up too. My plan was to run the race at marathon pace (6:11/mile), but I hadn't given my strategy much thought before the race, I just didn't want to do anything stupid that would hamper Boston marathon race prep (it'll all be over bar the celebrating two weeks from now). So the plan was to run 1:21 as easy as possible, a time that would have me in the top 10 in the results over the last couple of years, but looking at the skinny whippets lined-up at the start, I didn't figure I'd be featuring in the top ten this year.

Ray bipped the air-horn and we were off. So immediately after the start of the race we hit the first hill, and I was in around 25th position. I figured I wouldn't worry about hitting pmp just yet, but the watch was showing 5:50/mile pace from the intial down-hill, so I figured if I took it easy on the climb, I'd be back at target pace soon after cresting the hill. Half way up the hill we had the usual tell-tale beep-beep of a few runners heart rate monitors warning them that they were working too hard (s'funny, as soon as you hear those tell-tale beeps you just know you're not going to see those runners again). I joined two other runners to form a group of three as we worked up the hill, passing a couple of runners. At the mile mark, my pace was 6:15, which was pretty good, given the hill. We crested the hill together, and picked up the pace, finishing the second mile in 6:11. Mile 3, the pace had picked up sufficiently that the watch was showing an average pace of 6:05/mile, which was too hot for this run, so with some reluctance, I gradually eased back and let the two other runners forge ahead. Mile 3: 5:53.

On my own for the next few miles, the pace was comfortable enough, with a few undulating hills to break the terrain. I settled in and enjoyed the views and the weather, and the odd bit of encouragement from the occasional walker or spectator. Miles passed in 6:04, 6:12, and 6:15. After 7 miles, I hadn't passed any other runners, but I was passing lots of walkers, so I'd give them a holler, and they'd give me a shout. It's great having the three races plus the walkers going together. Makes for a really friendly relaxed race experience. Eventually I caught up with an Athenry singlet, which I correctly guessed must be Mick Rice, running the ultra. A quick word, and I was passed him (phenomenal running after 33 miles). Eventually I caught up with another runner (one of the guys I had run up the initial hill with) and we had a quick chat about goal races (he is headed to London in a couple of weeks), before he started to drop off the pace (Mile 8: 6:05). I passed another ultra runner who I recognized from Donadea 50 a few weeks back, but he wasn't in as good shape as he was for his Donadea run, and was walking, which didn't bode well (he went on to finish 4th). I grabbed a gel to give myself a lift for the big hill, and checked the watch, which told me my average pace was 6:08, and gave me a bit of a cushion for the climb. Fantastic support at the cross-roads heading over the bridge, which signalled the lead-up to the hill and I passed a couple of runners who couldn't maintain their race pace. Then another runner emerged from a portaloo, and tried to jump in behind me, but I was shifting along (mile 9: 6:10), so he rapidly dropped off too. Then the hill.

I've run a lot of hills over the last six months, so I don't generally mind them, but at marathon pace on a hot day, it's a slightly different prospect. I remember what that hill was like two years ago during a similarly hot day towards the end of the ultra, so those guys had my sympathies as I started working my way up the climb. I could see two runners ahead of me on the hill, but they were easily out of reach. But as I worked my way up (miles 10 and 11: 6:20 and 6:24) I noticed that the gap between us was narrowing. I was happy to maintan the effort levels as there was a target ahead. They crested the hill around 150m ahead of me. I took a break to recover, before building up a bit of speed and legging it past the two runners (one of whom was the runner I'd encountered on the very first hill). One runner was spent, but the other jumped into my wake. I figured it was worth picking up the pace to shake him off, so mile 12 was a rather fast (but downhill) 5:32. I passed Keith White (2nd in the Ultra) and had a quick word, before pushing on (the only way I can over-take himself and Mick in a race, is if I take a 26 mile short-cut!). The crowds spread over the final mile were amazing (it probably didn't hurt that only a handful of runners from the three races crossed the line ahead of me) so even though the other runners had dropped off my pace, I kept it ticking over to the finish line (mile 13: 5:46 (faster than 10 mile pace?!) and finished with 1:20:30 showing on the clock. Job done.

I was a little faster than expected, but that was largely down to the fast two miles at the end. Otherwise, the race went perfectly to plan. Chatting to race organizer Ray, I found out that I'd finished in 5th place (and most likely M40 title too) so happy enough with that. Most important, I didn't lose the head and race to my limts, but instead got a solid training stimulus out of the experience. Another two miles back along the course to look out for the missus, and warm-down properly and wrap-up a 71 mile week. Only one more hard session to go before the big day, and lots of easy runs.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:20:30, @6:09, HR=161

Yesterday: 6 mile recovery run
    Legs felt pretty good, and the watch was constantly irritating me (to tell me I was running too fast) which is a positive sign that yesterday's race didn't have a very detrimental affect.
    Summary: 6 miles in 46:24, @7:44/mile, HR=~120

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on the perfectly brilliant half marathon training run. You are a pure class act. Loved your report! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Good running. Must be a good feeling to make a time like that look very easy. You seem to be in good shape. No reason why you can’t go sub 2:40 in Boston. What’s your best Half Marathon time flat out, on a non-hilly course?

Hopefully you get a crazy tail wind in Boston like the guys last year. It magically turned Ryan Hall from a 2:06 into a 2:04.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Super stuff as always. I've said it before but could I please just have a fraction of your dedication and consistency :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great run KC and great reading that report. That was my first ever race back in 2007 and your account before the start brought back some great memories.
    Your in fine form for Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great run Krusty, almost as good as the report ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great report and savage running. your in top form for Boston thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Brilliant report KC as always. It was pretty hot and hilly out there, id say that pace will feel way easier in boston. Great run.

04072511 wrote: »
    Good running. Must be a good feeling to make a time like that look very easy. You seem to be in good shape. No reason why you can’t go sub 2:40 in Boston. What’s your best Half Marathon time flat out, on a non-hilly course?
    I definitely won't be aiming for sub 2:40! I'll be aiming for 2:42 (and 30 seconds). If the deities above choose to champion me with a strong tail-wind, I'll stick with the plan until after Heartbreak Hill (mile 21) and see what I can muster from that point onwards.

I ran 1:19:45 (or something similar) late last year on a significantly flatter course (Waterford), but again it was a training run in the lead-up to a goal marathon, so I just targeted hitting the sub-80 minute target without causing too much harm. I'd like to think I'd be good for a low 1:18 at the moment, but it's hard to predict unless you actually go out and do the race.
    Woddle wrote:
    Super stuff as always. I've said it before but could I please just have a fraction of your dedication and consistency
    I think you've already answered that one in your own training log. You had a cracking run in Berlin. A couple of years ago I would have been over the moon with a 1:38 half marathon (my last two half marathon times in Connemara were 1:52 and 1:44), so just keep the head down and keep plugging away and the spoils will come.

Unfortunately, my OH was very ill last night, so I'm selfishly keeping the fingers crossed that this one skips me over, as when these tummy bugs strike, they usually leave me puking for 2 or 3 days. The timing would be absolutely woeful. Hoping to see her bright as a button when I get home, or else she'll have to be quarantined. :o

Abhainn wrote: »
    Great run KC and great reading that report. That was my first ever race back in 2007 and your account before the start brought back some great memories.
    Your in fine form for Boston.
    Cheers Joe. You beat me by 10 minutes on that occasion, and have continued the trend ever since. :)
    I see Bazman won the race that year in 72 mins. David Walsh Kemmis was also up their in the results, with a tasty 1:24 (where is he now?!). Ian McGrath ran 1:27:46 (the same one?). John O'Regan: 1:29:79.

S'funny looking back at the old results sheets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

great job ;)

great job ;)
    Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

"Awesome" run, great report. Just getting used to the lingo for 13 days time :D

wideball wrote: »
    "Awesome" run, great report. Just getting used to the lingo for 13 days time :D
    You forgot the word 'freakin', as in 'freakin awesome'. That one gets a lot of air-time, thought they tend to keep it more real in Boston.. Weather looking nice and cool over in Boston for the next 10 days. Hopefully stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Another confidence boost for Boston, not that you really needed it. Just keep healthy from now until race day and the rest will look after itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Weather looking nice and cool over in Boston for the next 10 days. Hopefully stays that way.

Yeah, but what direction is the wind blowing?! ;)

Advertisement