Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Nice elephant - there is huge potential in drawing animals/shapes with our garmin connect trackers, this requires further thought!

Just saw this and I had to pop in with my garmin tracker story.....

Mr Stew arrived in from his run on Saturday and called me over to the computer to show me his run on Garminconnect, he does this a lot, a bit like when he comes home from golf and tells me all about it... Anyway he drew my attention to a very unusual part of his journey where his route seemed to be all over the place in one small place. I assumed he was being chased by a rabid dog or was REALLY enjoying one of the songs on his iPod but it turns out he had done this on purpose... He had decided to use his run as the perfect Valentine.... He had spelt out I LOVE YOU while running, it was a little hard to decipher but sure enough it was there... I'm a lucky girl aren't I?

Off you go boys.. the perfect way to wish your loved one Happy Valentine's day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Marthastew wrote: »
    Just saw this and I had to pop in with my garmin tracker story.....

Mr Stew arrived in from his run on Saturday and called me over to the computer to show me his run on Garminconnect, he does this a lot, a bit like when he comes home from golf and tells me all about it... Anyway he drew my attention to a very unusual part of his journey where his route seemed to be all over the place in one small place. I assumed he was being chased by a rabid dog or was REALLY enjoying one of the songs on his iPod but it turns out he had done this on purpose... He had decided to use his run as the perfect Valentine.... He had spelt out I LOVE YOU while running, it was a little hard to decipher but sure enough it was there... I'm a lucky girl aren't I?

Off you go boys.. the perfect way to wish your loved one Happy Valentine's day

10/10 for Mr Stew, genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Uploaded my run to Garmin Connect, and 'lo and behold, Dumbo the elephant. Obviously something strange going on in my subconscious.

192492.jpg

Summary: 18.5 miles in 2:26, @7:55/mile, HR=132

Am I the only one who sees a garden gnome with his hands behind his back, watering the geraniums?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Am I the only one who sees a garden gnome with his hands behind his back, watering the geraniums?

It's like an ink blot, you see what you want to! (I can see it too though:D)

Ah, I see the gnome now... I prefer Dumbo though, much more innocent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

He had decided to use his run as the perfect Valentine....
    ...and I made my OH an elephant. Phew. That quick thinking saved me €5, down the petrol station.

Tonight: 4 mile recovery run, in 32 mins, @8:00/mile, HR=120

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh god....I see the gnome. That was some route you ran. Perhaps someone needs to alert Travelocity for their holiday brochure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://www.strava.com/rides/happy-valentine-s-day-clare-4105345

Think the elephant is more impressive myself.

http://www.strava.com/rides/happy-valentine-s-day-clare-4105345

Think the elephant is more impressive myself.
    Would've been more impressive if they'd actually run the route instead of cycling. Boo'urns....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

192492.jpg

Looks more like an Ant Eater than an elephant with that snout :)

I still see the gnome. Damn that dpop.

This has turned into a game of 'catchphrase'. Say what you see!

Today: 9.92 miles, with 4 Miles @Tempo

A bit of a tragedy of errors today. I still hadn't recovered fully from last week's sessions and long uphill run, so moving this tempo session a few days forward to accommodate the Donadea 50k this weekend probably wasn't the very brightest of ideas, but because the legs are feeling a little heavy, I also wanted to lighten up the mileage toward the second half of the week. Broke the clip on my mp3 player, so had to shove it into a pocket, and so was only getting intermittent sound in one of the speakers. Groan.. Got 0.3 miles from my work-place, and the Garmin was telling me I had covered 4.5 miles, and was ticking off miles like they were seconds. Great for the 1,000 mile challenge, but no so great for my tempo run. Stop. Reset. Start again. Eventually, I got through my warm-up (2.5 miles) and got ready for the tempo miles.

One mile less than last week's tempo, should be a breeze. First mile went really well, but then I took a wrong turn (ran the route in the opposite direction from last week) and kept plugging away. Eventually I turned right, and was hit by a wall of wind (8 m/s, judging by yr.no). I hadn't been expecting it (but must have taken advantage of it up to this point) but suddenly I was deflated. With lingering thoughts of defeat, I quickly switched to a positive frame of mind, and started to push through the wind. It was horrible. One minute, warm and calm. Next minute, turn a corner, cold and windy. I stuck with it and eventually the clock ticked the mileage off.

Tempo: 4 miles in 23:14, @5:49/mile, HR=161 (Max=170).

Once again, I had to rush back to the office for a meeting (3.4 miles @6:56/mile) and had about 4 minutes to change before jumping into the call. No cool-down or stretching, straight into a meeting. Yuch. One of those runs, were the most positive thing you can say is: it's done.

Summary: 9.92 miles in 1:05, @6:34/mile, HR=150, TE=4.1 (highly improving)

+ 21 x 15 core strength and 21 x 4 x 2 sets of weights. ...and sleep...

Today: 10 Miles easy
    An easy afternoon loop out to Tallaght and around Jobstown to City West and back to work. Some number of closed-up houses around Jobstown (repossessions, or something more sinister?). Plan was 7:15-7:30, but with a couple of quicker miles towards the end, it brought the average down a chunk. Too much in fact. Better be no more fast miles until next week. Bold Clown.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:11, @7:07/mile, HR=135, TE=2.6 (Maintaining)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

Have we invented a new recreation! "map my run art", and i thought i looked daft running around the carpark waiting for the mile to click over......wait until people see me trying to run a pigs tail!:D

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    Stuck a custom program on the 910, to keep target pace between 7:50/mile and 8:30/mile, so the incessant buzzing would force me to stick to recovery pace. The start of the run was quite annoying while the GPS accuracy settled, as average pace moved from 9 min/mile up to 7:30/mile. So it was 'speed up', 'slow down', up, up, down, up, down, down... Just right.... After the initial electro-vibrate shock therapy (wondering what would happen if I made my target pace 5 minute/mile), I settled into an eight minute mile, and lazed my ass around Grange Castle Business Park. Don't even try and decode the Rorschach test that is today's run (it's clearly a kitten drinking from a toilet). Core and weights later.

Summary: 6 miles in 48 mins, at 8 min/mile, HR=Anyone's guess (maybe 120bpm?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

(it's clearly a kitten drinking from a toilet).

St Patrick ridding Ireland of snakes would be my guess.

Woddle wrote: »
    St Patrick ridding Ireland of snakes would be my guess.
    Not sure how you got that one from it, but you're clearly looking forward to Paddy's day!

Today: *cough* 7 miles
    Supposed to be around 4 or 5 miles, at recovery pace, but didn't have time to make lunch, so headed off towards Adamstown and the carb-rich comforts of Subway. One the way, I managed to divert off my intended route, so ended up going further, and having to run quicker to make it back for a meeting. Stoopid clown.

Summary: 7 miles in 50 mins, @7:05/mile, HR=~135

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy. :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy. :cool:
    Cheers, I'm all about the enjoyment tomorrow. If it starts to hurt after 22 miles, I fully intend to pull-up, as the goal is Boston. All eyes on the prize. Nothing stands between me and the real goal. Eye of the tiger stuff. :)

Cheers, I'm all about the enjoyment tomorrow. If it starts to hurt after 22 miles, I fully intend to pull-up, as the goal is Boston. All eyes on the prize. Nothing stands between me and the real goal. Eye of the tiger stuff. :)

do you want me to dig out my copy of
    http://www.amazon.ca/26-Miles-Boston-Experience-Hopkinton/dp/1585748285 and bring it for you tomorrow?

it's a very light hearted book with interesting facts on Boston marathon, definitely not eye of the tiger stuff.

Only 10 wimmin entered tomorrow so I should be easy enough to find

do you want me to dig out my copy of
    http://www.amazon.ca/26-Miles-Boston-Experience-Hopkinton/dp/1585748285 and bring it for you tomorrow?

it's a very light hearted book with interesting facts on Boston marathon, definitely not eye of the tiger stuff.

Only 10 wimmin entered tomorrow so I should be easy enough to find
    That'd be great if you could. Something to read on those tiresome laps. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

KC as a matter of interest what have you found is the key session in particular long run leading up to a goal marathon race? The type of session that you can say after with confidence that yes I am good to go if you catch my drift.
    Oh and enjoy the long training run tomorrow.

KC as a matter of interest what have you found is the key session in particular long run leading up to a goal marathon race? The type of session that you can say after with confidence that yes I am good to go if you catch my drift.
    Oh and enjoy the long training run tomorrow.
    Hi Jackyback, I generally follow an adapted P&D plan (currently following the 70-85 mile plan), but the plan is the sum of its parts, rather than any specific session, so I couldn't really isolate any single workout and point at it as 'the one'. There's no single sessions that says 'you will hit your goal'. Having said all that, there are definitely specific sessions that point out that you've made solid progress since your last outing following a similar plan, and these (for me) are really important indicators.

Tempo sessions: I usually do this closer to 10 mile pace and if they're achievable, I know I'm there or thereabouts. These sessions feel like they contribute more to my marathon goal than any other session.

PMP sessions: Really solid boost from these, though the problem is, they feel quite tough when you do them in training, which can be a knock to the confidence. If you don't find 19 miles with 12@pmp though, then your marathon target might need looking at!

Vo2max: these are intervals at 5k pace. I always run them at the McMillan 5k equivalent of my marathon pace (bad practice). Very tough, but they really contribute to a solid 10k time during training.

10k/10mile tune-up races: I always try and PB in these, so it's all out. There's nothing gives you a better confidence boost than hitting that PB and it also gives you the race practice and mental strength (an area of weakness for me).

So it's the contribution of each one of the above parts that gives me my mojo. Last time around, some of the above were pointing the right way. Some were not. So I had some doubts. Things are going well so far this time around, and I'm a lot more positive, but there's a long way to go yet (approximately 500 miles :)).

Good luck tomorrow! :)

A grand title indeed, but in reality, it's a title contested by one two or three runners, and the rest of us have our own specific goals in mind. That's the strength of a race like this; it's a race for everyone. The top 3-5 runners are vying for the title/position. The next 10-20 runners are using the race as a key building block, and littered throughout, are those who are making their first attempt at surpassing the marathon distance, or attempting to crack their 50k PBs.

In my case, the goal was to have a long consistent Canova-type run in a supportive environment, and Ultraman's 50k race ticked all those boxes. The plan was to run the first 20 miles at around 7:15/mile, then increase the pace for the remaining 11 miles to around 6:55/mile. Well, that didn't happen. I met up with Liamo123 before the start and the plan suited him, so we set off together, in the top-15, with Jeffontour 100m ahead of us, and the rest of the pack pushing forward. Our first mile was 7:20, and despite our best efforts (no efforts!) our next few miles were 6:50s, which brought us to an average of 7:00/mile, and that's pretty much the pace we stuck to. Jeff was always 100m ahead, as he had decided to stick with the plan of 7 minute miles throughout. We should have tried to catch up to make a group of three, but I think we were always entertaining thoughts of slowing down.

We ticked off lap after lap, chatting away, spurred on by the fantastic marshals, and folks at the start/finish. Eventually, I stopped for a pee, and felt comfortable enough picking up the pace to 6:30 to regroup with Liamo. After a few more miles, we caught up with Jeff, and ran a lap or two in a threesome, before Jeff and Liam drifted away. At this stage I had a ball in my stomach that needed evacuation (my nutrition strategy still sucks) so made a dash for the cafe toilets (misdirected by theRoadRunner, who clearly had plans to send me to the ladies toilet for giggles :)). I relieved the pressure, and was back on the trail of Jeff and Liam who had pushed on in the meantime. I caught Liam after a couple of ks, be he was backing off a little at this stage so urged me onwards. Eventually I caught Jeff too, and we had a quick chat before he too urged me onwards.

So I spent the last 5 or 6 miles largely on my own, with the peace only broken when I passed other runners and we exchanged encouraging words (or in some cases thoughts of beer, suicide, quitting and cake). I passed the marathon marker in 3:06, feeling nice and comfortable. As good as I felt though, I was delighted to hit the start of the final lap and tick off the final few kilometers. Arriving at the final finishing straight, I picked up the pace, and could eventually see the finishing clock ticking off 3:39:20. I picked up the pace, for no other reason than 'sub-3:40' sounds better than '3:40' and finished at just under 6 minute/mile pace, which is a good sign. I finished in 10th place in 3:39:45.

Really enjoyable race, with a really great bunch of people. Thanks to Anto, for doing a superb job of organizing everything down to a tea, to my two erstwhile running-mates, Liam and Jeff, and last but not least, Mr MarthaStew, whose hot soup and rice crispie slices more than made up for the promised chocolate cake that never materialized (clearly still guttled :().

Summary: Fiddy K, in 3:39:45, @7:03/mile, HR=144, training Effect=3.4 (Improving).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah so it's not only my nutrition strategy that sucks.

It's Emer's fault for not reminding digger to get the cake. I'll make one just for you for Connemara*.

*maybe - not guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Ah so it's not only my nutrition strategy that sucks.

It's Emer's fault for not reminding digger to get the cake. I'll make one just for you for Connemara*.

*maybe - not guaranteed.

Nobody told me I was on cake-watch!?:confused:

Advertisement