Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

That's really not how it happened. She set herself up in the disciplinarian role in the lecture, and once people realised she wasn't as scary as she was trying to make herself out to be, she lost us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yes, her fault completely...

"poke" Haha, walking and posting by predictive text eh..

No Boston it's not completely her fault, I'm surprised that you took an inferral of that from my post. The point was that she could have managed it better.

Meh, maybe, I personally think she should have the expectation of being able to walk into a room full of adults and manage the lecture accordingly. It will be a cold hard day when most of your year realise no one cares if they're in trinity next year or not.

But its like trying to stop the tide come in. Your year will behave in the same way every first year has behaved previously, the names and faces chance, the muppetry doesn't.

What was your worst first year crime?

• Advertisement

Me? Not turning up to the occasional lecture. As a class things included, but where not limited to;

1) Throwing plans at lecturers
    2) Throwing rubbers at lecturers
    3) Drinking in lectures
    4) Reading the fuking new paper in the second row (I mean ffs a bit of cop on please)
    5) Threatening physical violence against demonstrators.

I'm sure there was more in there, but I forget.

I did have a quiet word more then once with lecturers about not turning up, in particular one chap in second year. We all grew to dislike him because he would consistently not turn up and also not give notice. I informed him this wasn't on and he was shocked as he had been assured the students where given advanced notice by the civil eng department, he also explained that he wasn't originally meant to be giving the course and it was a last minute thing forced upon him which conflicted with a job he was contracted to do in Spain.

Drinking alcohol in lectures?

Also, you gave out to a lecturer? Brilliant.

Yep.

Boston wrote: »
    Me? Not turning up to the occasional lecture. As a class things included, but where not limited to;

1) Throwing plans at lecturers
    2) Throwing rubbers at lecturers
    3) Drinking in lectures
    4) Reading the fuking new paper in the second row (I mean ffs a bit of cop on please)
    5) Threatening physical violence against demonstrators.

An engineer I know who graduated in 2000 or so tells the story about enflamed paper aeroplanes being thrown at the lecturers.

Myth wrote: »
    An engineer I know who graduated in 2000 or so tells the story about enflamed paper aeroplanes being thrown at the lecturers.

That does sound fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

2) Mini-beers for just the engineers is a bad idea. Why exclude people? Theres few enough regular posters on this forum as it is. I enjoy the company of our BESS and Arts block comrades.

We are lovely and do make up half of the posters here. :)

I was thinking of arranging another beers for the end of term, but we could have another sooner if there's demand.

Get off my lawn.

I mean, yes, meet. I'll bring my girlfriend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Baza210 wrote: »
    Get off my lawn.

Your lawn? it's nice that you think that. :rolleyes:

I'll bring my girlfriend!

Bringing your laptop, with her facebook page open, does not count as bringing your girlfriend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I was thinking of arranging another beers for the end of term, but we could have another sooner if there's demand.
    Or... we could just organise our own one in addition to the other one?

With other people invited too...

Your lawn? it's nice that you think that. :rolleyes:

I was
    Bringing your laptop, with her facebook page open, does not count as bringing your girlfriend.

joking.

And Jon; she doesn't have a facebook page, so don't get excited.

Myth wrote: »

Ah yes, the death gliders, how could I forget those.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ah yes, the death gliders, how could I forget those.

In first year it snowed and we made a big snow ball and through from the top of the McNeil to the bottom. We had an American maths lecture. He wasn’t impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Lordy I've missed out on a whole bunch of engineering talk (not that I'm an any way regular poster but you get the idea!) So catch up time;

Schvets - Somewhat misunderstood, in more than one way. Firstly he does not expect us to be geniuses (genii?) I was asking him something after a lecture once and he said that ideally he would take 8-10 weeks to teach us his section, but he only got four so he had to cram it in hard (had to revive the gay undertones there, a few of us refer to Ham4 as the scvhetbox, which we can only assume is what he calls his bedroom/gay nightclub) So he got a rough deal there, also there was the tutorials cock up, more of them for everybody would be very benificial. Secondly there is the way everyone now thinks he's a legend. I've laughed my ass off in some of those lectures, but he's still a git. So hated and loved for the wrong reasons!

Vij - din't think he was that bad and the material was easier, but he does not control the room. Some of you will say that it's not his job and you may be right but still, doesn't take away from the facts.

Bdisha - There is nothing I have learned in that class that couldn't be gleamed from the lecture notes, and so much more could be learned with more practical work. This brings me on to -

Rowdiness - Really annoying, but as far as I'm concerned understandable. I do find it hard to keep quiet when you're sitting there not learning anything so now for my own and other people's sake I don't go to a lot of my lectures, instead I head to the library. You can get so much more work done there it's mad.

Mini-meet - As this is a mini meet we're talkin about here and not a boards beers, why not just go for lunch or something? Granted that is most likely other years exclusive what with timetables and all it's just a thought!

Phew, a lot off my chest...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

devinejay wrote: »
    Mini-meet - As this is a mini meet we're talkin about here and not a boards beers, why not just go for lunch or something? Granted that is most likely other years exclusive what with timetables and all it's just a thought!
    Good idea, we dont have the same lunches tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Good idea, we dont have the same lunches...

Problem alright, guess it's a beers then! I have a fairly dirty commute though so I probably won't make it. Argh the logistics!!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Tuesday is good for me, thursday is bad unless I show up at 10pm!

Tuesday is good for me, thursday is bad unless I show up at 10pm!
    Humm... First years are finished at lunch time unless they have drawing. I cant see them waiting around for 4 hours.

Mon/Wed/Fri?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

That's really not how it happened. She set herself up in the disciplinarian role in the lecture, and once people realised she wasn't as scary as she was trying to make herself out to be, she lost us.

exactly.

people talk in every lecture. most lecturers speak over it and eventually eveyone just shuts up and listens. but whenever anyone talks in bidisha's class, she stops talking and stares at them. That just annoys the class and doesnt stop people from talking. I'd much prefer to have a few people talking quietly than to have bidisha stop mid-sentence every ten seconds.

we don't have this problem in any other lecture and since the lecturer is the only thing that changes from lecture to lecture, she's obviously the problem. (obviously the problem is the people talking but you can never fix that. there are always people that come to lectures only to talk)

PS, anyone in JF ever sit in the back row of a lecture and see that guy and girl on a laptop? in every lecture there's a guy and a girl eating popcorn and watching movies. weird...

Peleus wrote: »
    PS, anyone in JF ever sit in the back row of a lecture and see that guy and girl on a laptop? in every lecture there's a guy and a girl eating popcorn and watching movies. weird...
    What kinda laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dooleygav

I'm in third year now, believe men, graphics is piss easy in the exam, and Vij's tutorials make sense so just learn them!! And nobody give the lecturers any respect in first year Engineering, paper airplanes galore along with other stuff!!!

Those two that sit in the back row failed first year and are repeating.

I think it's an XPS M1530. There's another muppet with one that's always watching game trailers on YouTube..

I know them well.. it's a 1330 not a 1530 ;)

damn.. i missed my one of my palindromic posts :(

I can get a touchscreen kit for the MSI Wind that would fit my 1000H. Boston, what would it cost me for you install it? 3 pints? =P [After completion!]

• Advertisement

I can get a touchscreen kit for the MSI Wind that would fit my 1000H. Boston, what would it cost me for you install it? 3 pints? =P [After completion!]
    Do it yourself.. it's more fun :P

Advertisement