Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

SF engineers are in till 6 on both wed and thurs so i propose one of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I'm on the Luas!

Erm, I vote Thursday too, JFs are in until 5/6pm depending on group. Plus, I have Badminton Wednesday.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    And can you not hang out with myth? He did tp for a while.. Then joined the cool kids..;)

Yup, for first year myself and a few others were called 'TP Refugees' by some of the lecturers.

If you're thinking of organising a meet-up just do a main tcd boards beers and get engineers to go, and then just alienate everyone else who goes to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Myth wrote: »
    Yup, for first year myself and a few others were called 'TP Refugees' by some of the lecturers.
    How many of ye moved?
    Myth wrote: »
    If you're thinking of organising a meet-up just do a main tcd boards beers and get engineers to go, and then just alienate everyone else who goes to it.
    We do that anyways.. just look at boards..

How many of ye moved?

There were 3 of us who moved from TP to Engineering, and I know someone else who moved from Maths to Engineering a few months before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Hi, can anyone help? Im tring to select the correct motor. The motor simply has to pull a weight of 2kg. How would I calculate the required torque? The speed isint important but It probally comes into calulations somewhere? Does it relate to the torque?
    Sorry I knew I sould have been more specific but in my defense I am new to this! The motor actaully needs to lift this weight if u get me. Imagine a standard dc motor is on a bench and needs to pull a 2kg weight up from the ground. How do I calculate the torque required. I then need to select the correct motor. But I do need to state my calcuations used! Any help would be great! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

what year/college are you in?
    Is this an assignment you have?

Im not actually in TCD. I go to cork IT and its part of an ongoing project thats already due! Ive still alot to do n am under serious pressure!

Sorry I knew I sould have been more specific but in my defense I am new to this! The motor actaully needs to lift this weight if u get me. Imagine a standard dc motor is on a bench and needs to pull a 2kg weight up from the ground. How do I calculate the torque required. I then need to select the correct motor. But I do need to state my calcuations used! Any help would be great! Thanks!
    T=F*D

where:
    T = torque
    F = force = mg = 19.62
    D = distance

thanks jim but what distance do I use? Is it the radius of the motor shaft? Just say I am using some sort of leadscrew mechanism that is connected to the shaft. Does that change the distance that i will use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

jasus gone for the weekend and i mis out on all this! damn!

yay mini meet!

Thats what you get for living down the country :P

So what day suits people?

Thursyday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Do you guys not meet every day in class anyway? : p

different years

I'm tempted to go back to some first year lectures for the laugh actually.

Ah go on. I'll be the guy wearing the sudo make me a sandwich t-shirt.

Although apparently someone / a couple of guys in CS have the same t-shirt, so if they don't look super sexy then they're probably not me.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Ah go on. I'll the guy wearing the sudo make me a sandwich t-shirt.

Although apparently someone / a couple of guys in CS have the same t-shirt, so if they don't look super sexy then they're probably not me.

Hummm.. If i just stay in the joly after solids and structures.. You have elec and mag after..

Sweet, would you mind writing up my Physics lab too?

Real question - When does Mechanics stop being stuff I've done in Applied Maths and turn into something worth taking out my earphones for?

• Advertisement

Sweet, would you mind writing up my Physics lab too?

Real question - When does Mechanics stop being stuff I've done in Applied Maths and turn into something worth taking out my earphones for?

I decided to go to mechanics instead so i'll go and listen and report back with an answer.:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm tempted to go back to some first year lectures for the laugh actually.

I did that for a few 3rd year and 4th year lectures this year. What a piss take.

I'm only coming in now-had a lab report to finish.

You missed bob barkleys riveting lecture.. Shame on you.

I never pay attention in that lecture anyway, if I attend it. What was it on?

I never pay attention in that lecture anyway, if I attend it. What was it on?
    Conservation of momentum and collisions.

Stuff straight out of Ollie's book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

mathew wrote: »
    Thats what you get for living down the country :P
    well have to take your mam to a seclluded field, wont get that out in dun laorie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Conservation of momentum and collisions.
    Stuff straight out of Ollie's book.
    Man you should have sat in on that guy J.K. Vij's lecture, some guy wrote "Bring Back Igor" on the blackboard and honestly I couldn't agree more after that lecture. Heh or graphics. Dr Ghosh (or Prof Ghosh I can't remember) really lost it today. Told us we were the most insignificant part of her job and that graphics isn't even her area (never would've guesed...). Shouldn't they give us an architect lecturer or something for that? And have tutorials instead of lectures? Cause the whole idea of a graphics lecture just doesn't seem to work. I'd say it'd be well better if we had the tools in front of us to actually do the feckin drawings instead of her trying to do everything with a piece of chalk. I've to go in now tomorrow and draw a buncha crap in isometric and I've only the mildest idea of how. Ah well at least the tutorials are not graded or anything... oh wait.

The class were a ****ing disgrace in 1E6 today. Shameful. No respect whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Heh or graphics. Dr Ghosh (or Prof Ghosh I can't remember) really lost it today. Told us we were the most insignificant part of her job and that graphics isn't even her area (never would've guesed...). Shouldn't they give us an architect lecturer or something for that? And have tutorials instead of lectures? Cause the whole idea of a graphics lecture just doesn't seem to work. I'd say it'd be well better if we had the tools in front of us to actually do the feckin drawings instead of her trying to do everything with a piece of chalk. I've to go in now tomorrow and draw a buncha crap in isometric and I've only the mildest idea of how. Ah well at least the tutorials are not graded or anything... oh wait.

Its Prof Gosh.

Graphics isnt a hard subject. Its very logical. When its thought in school its done the same way except you have more hands on with the drawings.

Advertisement