Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Man you should have sat in on that guy J.K. Vij's lecture, some guy wrote "Bring Back Igor" on the blackboard and honestly I couldn't agree more after that lecture. Heh or graphics. Dr Ghosh (or Prof Ghosh I can't remember) really lost it today. Told us we were the most insignificant part of her job and that graphics isn't even her area (never would've guesed...). Shouldn't they give us an architect lecturer or something for that? And have tutorials instead of lectures? Cause the whole idea of a graphics lecture just doesn't seem to work. I'd say it'd be well better if we had the tools in front of us to actually do the feckin drawings instead of her trying to do everything with a piece of chalk. I've to go in now tomorrow and draw a buncha crap in isometric and I've only the mildest idea of how. Ah well at least the tutorials are not graded or anything... oh wait.

She is 100% correct. She is a traffic engineer. Nothing to do with graphics.
    Baza210 wrote: »
    The class were a ****ing disgrace in 1E6 today. Shameful. No respect whatsoever.
    Funny thing is that they all think Schvets is a legend etc, and Vij is some backwards old man.

Come May, people will hate Schvets, love Vij.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kearnsr wrote: »
    Its Prof Gosh
    Are you sure? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Man you should have sat in on that guy J.K. Vij's lecture, some guy wrote "Bring Back Igor" on the blackboard and honestly I couldn't agree more after that lecture. Heh or graphics. Dr Ghosh (or Prof Ghosh I can't remember) really lost it today. Told us we were the most insignificant part of her job and that graphics isn't even her area (never would've guesed...). Shouldn't they give us an architect lecturer or something for that? And have tutorials instead of lectures? Cause the whole idea of a graphics lecture just doesn't seem to work. I'd say it'd be well better if we had the tools in front of us to actually do the feckin drawings instead of her trying to do everything with a piece of chalk. I've to go in now tomorrow and draw a buncha crap in isometric and I've only the mildest idea of how. Ah well at least the tutorials are not graded or anything... oh wait.

Oh the memories...

You'll love vij come may, once you know his stuff (which isnt that difficult really) his question is lovely.
    But Schvets' question is just dirty....

As for graphics.. being taught it through lecturing is crap, and Bdisha isnt the best to teach it anyway.. But graphics is very easy, and youll go over most of it with Gareth O'Donnell anyway, who is quite good...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

The class were a ****ing disgrace in 1E6 today. Shameful. No respect whatsoever.
    Yeah man it was shocking. Notice how it's getting louder and louder as the loud people start to show? I was kinda hoping they'd just not turn up to lectures. I guess that's the bad thing about being in a big course.
    jmccrohan wrote:
    She is a traffic engineer.
    Jesus. What the hell does that even entail?

mathew wrote: »
    Gareth O'Donnell
    Design for manufacture,
    Design for assembly,
    Design for disassembly,
    Design for the environment,
    Design for STFU!!

• Advertisement

You'll find out soon enough in 1e8.

Prob get a few lectures from Margaret O'Mahoney and Brian Caufield.

But if you cant contain your excitement until then, link.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    That explains a lot about the state of transport in this country actually...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Come May, people will hate Schvets, love Vij.

I didn't mind Vij, just felt sorry for him. Shvets came across as a bit full of himself.

Shvets came across as a bit full of himself.
    M. Bridge: "Anyone who tells you they understand quantam mechanics is a liar."
    I. Schvets: "Do I understand quantam mechanics? I would say yes. "
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

all sorts.

traffic modelling
    transport planning

To name just two.

Even still any engineer worth his salt should be able to read drawings. I would've thought it be an easy course to teach

Any questions please?

You'll find out soon enough in 1e8.

Prob get a few lectures from Margaret O'Mahoney and Brian Caufield.

Margaret OMahoney is actually quite good..

edit: so is this mini-meet going on on thurday so???

Any questions please?
    Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahcoulomb. Does it make sense?

in theory, since you are now finished with Schvets, you should be able to do question 1 from here

in theory, since you are now finished with Schvets, you should be able to do question 1 from here
    heh heh... evil :)

I can't even do a lab report on DC circuits!:(

I don't actually know Gauss's Law, so I can't do the first part but isn't the second just E ∝ 1/d^2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

I don't actually know Gauss's Law, so I can't do the first part but isn't the second just E ∝ 1/d^2?
    way over my head, and i did well in that exam last year! honestly, pointless, even if you could do the questions he gives you now, he will pound your *** in may

ah svets is a d**k! so is that other yoke ghosh! dont know if every one here knows but, we have a hard of hearing person in our year, and he was a person to take notes from him as he looks at the signer for the lecture, last year, she said no computers (which you didnt hear matt :P ), but of course the person taking the notes didnt think it applied to him, considering its his job like, five minutes later when she notices, contines on with her sentance, walks towards the man, and slams his screen shut, and walks off.....

the class went silent, the signer went over to her, explained, and her face droped, started going on about how she said no computers, no laptops, was soooooo funny :)
    Classic.

Mathew got his student card take off him :)

• Advertisement

"but im taking notes"

you were not matt, lying to the girl, shame on you esp since she was so nice!

It is.
    Its the first part that is nasty when its thrown at you in an exam.

With notes infront of you, it shouldnt be too hard. But as a fisrt question to look at in an exam, it was a bit crap...

he will pound your *** in may
    :eek: Man I didn't know he was that way inclined...

"but im taking notes"

you were not matt, lying to the girl, shame on you esp since she was so nice!

Haha... I didn actually have 2 or 3 lines of notes taken.. but gave up and turned to browsing :P

She believed me tho, and gave back my student card.

I dont know why she accepts the job of teaching first years graphics if she hates it so much. She lost it at us last year saying it was the worst part of her job too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Couple points

1) Undergrads lectures aren't worth anything to the person giving them. They are the most insignificant part of a lecturers job. Nobody wants to lecture for the simply reason the vast majority of undergrads are too stupid to realise that when you treat the lecturer like **** you get back what you give out ten fold.

You wonder why you have a traffic engineer teaching graphics, probably due to the BS received by the lecturer in previous years. Almost without exception any decent lecturer I had in first and second year was shown zero respect. Reason being that people expect what they received from teachers, to be treated like children. No Dr or Prof has a desire to do that.

2) Mini-beers for just the engineers is a bad idea. Why exclude people? Theres few enough regular posters on this forum as it is. I enjoy the company of our BESS and Arts block comrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I felt so sorry for him today. He was there trying so hard to teach the class and everyone was talking and shouting over him and he was standing in front of a blackboard with "Bring back Igor" on it! lol. poor guy. I'm sure he felt very welcome. :D i dont think he's that bad. His lectures are much easier to understand than Igor's. Igor assumed we were all nobel prize winners in nuclear physics. At least this guy doesnt ask "am i going to slow" like igor who barely leaves a slide on the screen for more than two seconds.

and as for Bidisha. God! Don't get me started. I thought it was funny when she goes
    -"you have to understand that if you want to talk in my lecture you must leave"
    -"ok sorry, wont happen again"
    -"so leave please". appart from that i just find her incredibly irritating. She's like a substitute teacher that you'd get in 1st yr secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahcoulomb. Does it make sense?

:D brilliant. epsilon sub zero...

Speaking of symbols and such, the Option key's symbol on Mac keyboards is actually a microswitch. How cool is that?

:eek: Man I didn't know he was that way inclined...
    i reckon youl be the inclined one! damn tests!

• Advertisement

Peleus wrote: »

appart from that i just find her incredibly irritating. She's like a substitute teacher that you'd get in 1st yr secondary school.

If she's treated that way she'll teach that way

Advertisement