Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why some women dress as sluts on Halloween?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Dudess wrote: »
    I find Smyth's attitude kinda misogynistic. "Women should cover themselves up and have self respect and it's saddening if they don't" etc. Please. Yeah it's tacky and undignified when it's what they always wear without a shred of irony.
    When it's done so in a humorous context once a year, it's a completely different story.

Even if it's done 365 days of the year, does it really matter, we all retain the right to look away if it really bothers us. An it harm none do as ye will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, it looks awful (the every other night of the year, non-dressing up, lapdancer outfits) but I wouldn't say it "saddens" me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Last night I saw a girl wearing only edible underwear in a nightclub I was shocked and by the end of the night there was not much left :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

~Marky~ wrote: »
    Last night I saw a girl wearing only edible underwear in a nightclub I was shocked and by the end of the night there was not much left :eek:
    Did you take a bite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

No my girlfriend was there with me so didnt get a chance.

• Advertisement

How the **** do "morals" come into how one dresses anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

c'mon, you ahve to know the answer to that. comes close to sexuality, suggestiveness, and some other crap to do with selfrespect and sexuality again.

to rephrase... perspective :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

No clothing with inverted crucifixes or nudey pics of kiddies maybe?:p

c'mon, you ahve to know the answer to that. comes close to sexuality, suggestiveness, and some other crap to do with selfrespect and sexuality again.
    Yeah but morals shouldn't come into sexuality either - unless it involves harming others.

Because they might tempt a man to have sexual relations with this woman outside of marraige? Evil woman!

• Advertisement

Yeah but morals shouldn't come into sexuality either - unless it involves harming others.

checkin out dictionary.com...
    1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
    2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
    3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
    4. capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.
    5. conforming to the rules of right conduct (opposed to immoral): a moral man.
    6. virtuous in sexual matters; chaste.
    7. of, pertaining to, or acting on the mind, feelings, will, or character: moral support.
    8. resting upon convincing grounds of probability; virtual: a moral certainty.
    –noun
    9. the moral teaching or practical lesson contained in a fable, tale, experience, etc.
    10. the embodiment or type of something.
    11. morals, principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct.

basically... moral depends on the perspective... but things of a sexually suggestive nature are right in the line of fire for immorality.

know what? you should come ot nz. great parties. one of the largest atheist counts in teh world, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The same reason people dress up like monsters and ghouls? To inspire fear and disgust?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

To the op: they do it because they can. Because its an excuse to throw off the normal 'respectable' shackles and make friends with your frisky side. All the time we see those sexy images of women in the media. But its not normally acceptable in everyday life. So fancy dress can give women a chance to try it out in a safe and kind of acceptable way. Believe me if women didnt want to try it, I dont think they would. It takes courage to go out in your underwear. If you dont like it, you dress as a cowboy, zombie, andy pandy, whatever. Im not saying I agree fully, say with wearing edible undies in public, I think thats a step too far tbh, but thats how I understand why girls do it.

You see men who love putting on a face full of makeup as part of a costume, who wouldnt dream of it in real life. It doesnt mean they are closet transvestites. Its escapism.

If you object to women dressing scantily one day a year (for fun) I think it says more about your mindset and moral outlook than the witch in the skimpy mini.

Oryx wrote: »
    All the time we see those sexy images of women in the media.
    Yeah OP, do these offend you?

<3 escapism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Smyth wrote: »
    While that's your opinion, I think it's a load of ****e.
    There is no programme to follow. While anything is socially acceptable, what you do depends on your own social viewpoint. This is my issue. Why do women, who apparently have one standing the rest of the year, let it slide for Halloween?
    It just shows a poor moral backbone imo.

My question for you is why do you care? It has nothing to do with you and it doesn't affect you. I find what you have said so far to be quite judgmental. I'm sure you are white as white OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm pretty personally conservative, but have no problem with others doing what they want. So I don't care about other girls dressing how they like- as long as they're happy then that's fine. I know I just personally wouldn't dress like that for a few reasons. I don't have the body for it so that pretty much puts a stop to anything revealing. I don't really like strangers, especially drunk strangers, especially at night, so I'd be uncomfortable with comments from guys and girls on the street.

And the most important reason: "Sexy" costumes are so unimaginative and overdone, something truly original that requires a lot of thought and effort with involve immaculate attention to detail over your whole body so there shouldn't be much room for anything to be revealed.

Last year I went to Halloween Wesley, sure there were a couple of girls in really revealing tiny clothes, but most people had made a genuine effort to have a cool costume, and the best girls' costumes were people like the girl who dressed as a crayola crayon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

we sort of had this discussion on another message board im on, one of the members was going halloween costume shopping, and could only find slutty stuff, slutty pirates, nurses, police, etc...

I agree with that bit. Costumes that are available to women in shops are a load of old pants (not literally :)). Not all of us want to dress like slappers. At least it encourages some of us to make our own costumes though. Homemade are far more intersting than shop bought.

It's the same with t-shirts and witty slogans. Ones for men are generally humerous, ones aimed at women usually say crap like 'slut' or 'I fancy your boyfriend and gave him a handjob' or some other such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

Some women are only too happy to wear slutty outfits for halloween - its the one night they can dress as trampy as they want and not be b**ched about! I think its ridiculous that these girls cant just get a "proper" fun costume without the streets being over run on halloween with a million playboy bunnies! Its not only skanky but TOTALLY UNORIGINAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This thread is crying out for pics. :pac:

• Advertisement

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sorry lads, plenty of other forums around for posting pics of hot women in threads. /not jealous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭luckyjimbobs

Could someone send a few of these women down to arklow please

PURELY RESEARCH nothing else lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

It's hallowe'en. Get over it. Just because a dress is short doesn't mean a person is a slapper.

Cop the fúck on.

One night a year, people drop the inhibitions. What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I'm all for it myself! I think the Halloween thing that's emerged in the last few years is been taken as an opportunity for people to show a bit more of their naughty side without the normal social restraints and judgements. I'd wager those women who chose bare close to everything are generally a lot more uninhibited in private generally, while many of those who wouldn't dream of dressing like that, even on Halloween, aren't too imaginative or open to new things in the bedroom either.

When they only go out in public like this once a year, you shouldn't define this as the persons main character point though, it's just a bit of fun and teasing. I really enjoy the spectacle of it all!

On the other hand, women who always dress like this is another situation altogether; that reeks of desperation and attention seeking at the lowest level. I generally feel a bit sorry for them that they feel so bad about themselves that they need to resort to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Smyth wrote: »
    It just saddens me to see so many women carrying themselves with so little grace, self respect and dignity.

I mean, why wear something to a room full of people that you'd be ashamed to be seen in public in?

Is there some sort of underlying want to look like a whore? Is it the attention? Does it make them feel good?

ffs, that goes for every feckin costume!! :eek: Who's going to turn up to the office on a regular day dressed as the joker????:confused: Why don't we just all forget it then, no-one should dress up at all in that case. Thats it, halloween is cancelled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I dressed as Optimus Prime this Haloween. I suppose by the OP's (original poster, not Optimus Prime..) standards that means I have deeply rooted underlying desire to be a robot...

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hagar wrote: »
    This thread is crying out for pics. :pac:

I concur.

It's halloween ffs, who gives a toss. If I dress up as Batman, does that actually make me Batman?! Let them dress how they want, it's 1 night a year. Perhaps you should go over to Africa and help the millions of people without clothes if you're that concerned about other people's attire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

High fives to all the other girls who like dressing like a slut on Halloween, lets have a fcuking good time!!

Advertisement