Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why some women dress as sluts on Halloween?

Options
  • 01-11-2008 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I don't get it. Women who lambast others for dressing in such a way 364 days of the year suddenly change their tune for one day of the year.

What is going on in their mind? Why do they do it? Womens input please.

:D

p.s first post in Ladies lounge!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

any final requests?
    ready,aim FIRE!!!

ahem, AH maybe??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Nope. This is a genuine question aimed towards the ladies. I'm not trying to provoke - but if I have - who cares. AH has far too many retards.

*edit* note the post says "some". I'm not generalising all women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't understand it either, when did dressing down like a trollop become fancy dress ?

fair enough OP.
    saw one of those earlier on tonight, she must've been only 13,14ish. she had the full christina aguilera 'dirty' look going on which,although appeals, at that age at around 5.45 in daylight hours was for me a bit much.

Anything and everything is socially acceptable for the sake of Halloween.
    That is the point.
    Get with the programme!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I do understand and appericate that masked events, parties, balls and the like were often the excuse to misbehave and indulge in acts which an other wise moral person would not dare to do as themsleves but there is a considerable difference between that and wearing as little as possible and pretending it's a costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Not very fancy is it?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Could be worse. . . they could have 'dressed up' in their fekkin pyjama's!! :rolleyes:

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I do understand and appericate that masked events, parties, balls and the like were often the excuse to misbehave and indulge in acts which an other wise moral person would not dare to do as themsleves but there is a considerable difference between that and wearing as little as possible and pretending it's a costume.

Maybe people hate paying good money for something only to wear it once.
    So they invest in something playful that they will get use out of.

ChewChew wrote: »
    Could be worse. . . they could have 'dressed up' in their fekkin pyjama's!! :rolleyes:

:o

• Advertisement

so when little mary's finished trick or treating, big mary puts it on to go out and get laid??
    only asking???:D

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Anything and everything is socially acceptable for the sake of Halloween.
    That is the point.
    Get with the programme!

While that's your opinion, I think it's a load of ****e.
    There is no programme to follow. While anything is socially acceptable, what you do depends on your own social viewpoint. This is my issue. Why do women, who apparently have one standing the rest of the year, let it slide for Halloween?
    It just shows a poor moral backbone imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Smyth wrote: »
    While that's your opinion, I think it's a load of ****e.
    There is no programme to follow. While anything is socially acceptable, what you do depends on your own social viewpoint. This is my issue. Why do women, who apparently have one standing the rest of the year, let it slide for Halloween?

I think the question is, why on earth are you so riled up about it?

It just saddens me to see so many women carrying themselves with so little grace, self respect and dignity.

I mean, why wear something to a room full of people that you'd be ashamed to be seen in public in?

Is there some sort of underlying want to look like a whore? Is it the attention? Does it make them feel good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think you might need to define precisely what you're talking about.

I know people who've thrown a 'pimps and prostitutes' party, but I'm quite sure their acceptable costume definition wasn't, for instance, a pair hold-ups, a fur coat and nothing else.

It just saddens me to see so many women carrying themselves with so little grace, self respect and dignity.

I mean, why wear something to a room full of people that you'd be ashamed to be seen in public in?

Is there some sort of underlying want to look like a whore? Is it the attention? Does it make them feel good?

I think you have assigned a moral code that seems attractive to you, to some woman who you have an unrequited crush on.

Honestly people don't wear things in public that make them uncomfortable.
    Or if they somehow manage to pull this feat off, it is tremendously clear from their body language that they are feeling awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

And why only at Halloween?

Me, coat, door...

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I think you have assigned a moral code that seems attractive to you, to some woman who you have an unrequited crush on.

Are we just making things up now? If so, I'd hazard a guess that you yourself dress up in such manner, which is the reason you're taking this stance - some sort of justification. Wrong? Who cares! We like to make things up here. It's a fun game, but it's slightly retarded. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have a moral code, and yes, I find it attractive in women..especially my girlfriend.

What I'm trying to probe here is why it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Seriously reading into things - "poor moral backbone"? Come on. If a girl dresses classily all year and then decides to wear a Playboy bunny outfit or whatever as her Halloween costume, that's exactly it - a one-off bit of fun. My non-slutty, self respecting, dignified friend is wearing that very thing tonight - for the laugh. Really, I don't think she's got poor moral backbone due to putting on a costume one night a year.

Why don't you dress up as a man on a high horse? Seriously, where are you getting the above? It comes across as kinda fanatical to me...
    Are we just making things up now? If so, I'd hazard a guess that you yourself dress up in such manner, which is the reason you're taking this stance - some sort of justification. Wrong? Who cares! We like to make things up here. It's a fun game, but it's slightly retarded. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have a moral code, and yes, I find it attractive in women..especially my girlfriend.

What I'm trying to probe here is why it's done.
    For the laugh - not some sort of underlying issue. It's quite simple. Get over it. And maybe stop being so personal as highlighted in bold.

I prefer to spare all my moral outrage for murderers and people who park in the wrong space.
    My opinion of hemlines and people who own images of living creatures don't make the grade tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Smyth, everybody likes to dress up and have some fun at halloween because it affords them a chance to be somebody else for the night having a bit of harmless fun. If girls want to dress up as playboy bunnies so be it, the saying don't judge a book by it's cover springs to mind, just because they decide to wear a costume doesn't mean that all of a sudden they change from a respectable girl into a man eating slut*.

*If only this were true:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

has to be said... as a female whose clothes are almost entirely made for males, hair colour generally black, and clothing style typical of that of most male moshers... one of my favourite costumes that ive done ahs been bleaching my hair, dying it blonde, and wearing pink, schlutty clothes.

not trying to make any sort of statement... just thought it'd be a funny change, that'd get a reaction fromt eh peeps who knew me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Quite simply some women are hypocrites, they let society dictate their actions to the point that they become rather outspoken against the very things they want, perhaps out of fear of being suspect, perhaps out of bitterness. Halloween is the one night they can shrug off the shackles of society and do as they please. This is obviously my oppinion on it, would be better to go ask these ladies if you want an answer, but then who's to say they'd answer honestly.:rolleyes:

As long as you're not being forced to see anything unpleasent (or to listen to whines about being cold because they're not wearing enough to keep them warm:p) who really cares.

I wouldn't even read that much into it, farohar. To me, it's simply a case of having a bit of fun and I find Smyth's attitude kinda misogynistic. "Women should cover themselves up and have self respect and it's saddening if they don't" etc. Please. Yeah it's tacky and undignified when it's what they always wear without a shred of irony.
    When it's done so in a humorous context once a year, it's a completely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

OP you got issues. Moral backbone will you ever get lost. People can do what they like without your 1950's moral outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Has the OP never seen Mean Girls?
    "Halloween is the only day of the year when girls can dress as sluts and people cant say a word to them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

When people put on a costume of any sort, they feel less inhibited. And that's a good feeling for most people. I'm guessing there's some fun to be had in dressing up sluttily, but maybe you can only get away with it at Halloween, so that's why there's a lot of it then.

The more egregious of the costumes seem to be associated with the younger revellers, who can maybe carry it off better. I agree that few of them look comfortable though. They need to get that naggin into them first so that they can really relax.

OP - you should stop lying to yourself and others. You LOVES it when the laydeez get down like this.

The stripper gear you see girls going out in every weekend is awful... looks skanky.

However, Halloween costumes such as dominatrix/bondage/burlesque gear look awesome and I would feel very sexy indeed in such a "get-up".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I don't get it. Women who lambast others for dressing in such a way 364 days of the year suddenly change their tune for one day of the year.

What is going on in their mind? Why do they do it? Womens input please.

:D

p.s first post in Ladies lounge!
    Isn't it great! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

we sort of had this discussion on another message board im on, one of the members was going halloween costume shopping, and could only find slutty stuff, slutty pirates, nurses, police, etc... pretty messed up, there does, it has to be said, seem to be a less variable option for women who want to purchase an outfit. why, just because it's made to fit females, does it have to be skimpy?

i get that it can be/is fun to dress up as someone/thing completely different from your usual self for that one night a year. that's cool. but what about the zillions of people unhappy with their body shape? are they just supposed to put a sheet on their heads and be ghosts? c'mon! ive done the dress up thing one, maybe two halloweens. it's fun. but it also helped that i'd lost a heap of weight before halloween, so felt relatively comfortable after that.

bleh, i duno where im going with this... last two years ive been a zombie (facepaint, shredded clothes, blood), and a homeless person (old clothes, sack on shoulder)... no requirement for fanciness of dress, but damned good costumes nonetheless. fun times. why does it have to be so difficult now?

Advertisement