Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Hi Birdie, Thanks for the reply. That must have been hard on you to go through it twice. I'm sorry for your loss.

Well I did decide to have the pizza but I split it with OH so not so bad. It was a dr oetkar. I have eaten 19 weeklies today. I am so ashamed to say that. I guess I'l have to gain them back with exercise during the week. I ordered a cross trainer and thought I would have it by now but won't be here until next week so I'm a bit pee'd off about that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nerdygirl

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Hi Birdie, Thanks for the reply. That must have been hard on you to go through it twice. I'm sorry for your loss.

Well I did decide to have the pizza but I split it with OH so not so bad. It was a dr oetkar. I have eaten 19 weeklies today. I am so ashamed to say that. I guess I'l have to gain them back with exercise during the week. I ordered a cross trainer and thought I would have it by now but won't be here until next week so I'm a bit pee'd off about that too.

Hi darkblonde,
    I just wanted to say don't be so hard on yourself. The weeklies at least allow us have an off day every so often.... We all have them. I hope the rest of your week picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭usernamecat

Hey girls ,

just wondering if some of you could give your views , opinions , comments on my diary for today.

Im on nights so finished work at 6 am , home to bed and up at 12 to go to WI , was up 4 so trying to be really careful this week. went back to bed at 2 till 3.30.

4pm - brekkie .

30 g rice krispies .
    slimlime milk.
    cup of tea.
    banana.

5.30pm

bowl of no points soup.
    1 slice of soda bread & light butter.

Went to boxercise from 8 - 9 so didnt have time to make a dinner . home at 9.30 , shower and in work for ten.

10.30 pm

two slices of bb , 1 egg, salad and light mayo.
    can of diet coke.
    king lite.

01.00am

30 g light cheese and pickled onions.

so far today ive drank ,1 pint of water, two small bottles and two cans of diet coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Seemed like I was on track but weigh in didn't go great! :o:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Monife wrote: »
    I am really confused about the weeklies too. My leader said if we ate them all every week and our dailies it would nearly be like maintenance, then Lainy said different, really confused. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I eat most if not all of mine every week. The first few weeks I ate about 20 or so of them and lost 1lb each week but then other weeks ate all of them and still lost 1lb, so i am dumbfounded. I really need them as my dailies really only cover breakfast, lunch, dinner and maybe 1 snack or 2 small ones. So on Friday and Saturday, rely on them for a few vodkas and some nibbles in. So broke this year that cant afford to go out so really look forward to a few drinks on Friday and Saturday with the OH.

I find the weeks that I am using my full 29 everyday and most of my weekly points, I am seeing better results. I am assuming it's because it means I am now eating enough and not ''starving'' my body (which should be hard to do as there's plenty of extra lbs there :o). I also find it means that I don't feel deprived as I can still go out and enjoy a few drinks and extra treats and not stress about carrying over points, as I used to do on the old system.

As someone made a good point, the weekly points makes it far more sustainable and I doubt WW would introduce something that combined with the rest of the plan wouldn't see you losing weight overall. Even on the old system there were weeks where I lost nothing or less than other weeks so to anyone worried, don't write off PP just yet :)
    I've tried so many diets over the years and the only one that has worked for me over any decent length of time is WW but it does require dedication and yes, short term, the results aren't always as drastic as other ''diets'' but that's because this is always meant to be a long term, livable plan, gone are the days of cabbage soup and ''fruit only'' days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Does anyone know the points Values in milanos - my friends want to go there for dinner cos there is a special deal on - 2 courses for 14euro. These are the options, if anyone knows the pp I would be so grateful!

Starters:
    Bruschetta Originale
    Bruschetta Salami
    Bruschetta Peperonata
    Bruschetta Piccante
    Mozzarella & Tomato Salad (would most likely get this one)

Mains:
    Pizzas - it says they are all classic, so I guess thats the size.
    Margherita
    American
    American Hot
    Sloppy Guiseppe
    Padana
    Four Seasons
    Veneziana
    Florentina
    or
    Pollo Verdure Salad

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Hey , i bought the low fat linessa yoghurst from lidl but i threw out the package by accident and never thought of the nutritional info on the outside ...

Any chance anyone knows off hand how many points in them??

thanks .
    Cat

Is that the Low Fat Natural Yogurt in the big tub? I point that at 2pp for 150g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Need to concentrate on my exercise, find it so hard to get up and go.

How can I motivate myself to exercise??

I know how you feel! I've gotten more into exercise in the last two years but before that I hated it, I've tried literally every type of exercise under the sun!

I'd recommend you either find something fun to do or set yourself a goal! I've set myself the goal of running 10K in under an hour by May so that forces myself to get out and run! Also, while running, I like to chant "skinny" in my head to make myself keep going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

SAexpat wrote: »
    Please explain this?? I would have thought you double up per slice, why 3pp and not 2 or are they rounding up and 1 slice is actually 1.4 or so?
    If so, how do you know when using the points list when you need to round up?

PP are calculated to the nearest point and rounding is used for examplete is
    1 pink n white is 1pp and 2 is 3 PP,

This would probablty mean 1 is actually 1.49 or less so it is rounded down to1 pp
    but if you multiply this by 2 its 2.98 so it rounds up to 3 pp.

Hope this helps.
    On a brighter note The tesco frozen garlic bread slices( green Wrapper) are 3 pp but 2 are only 5 pp
    so i would assume here the first sliced is rounded up to 3pp ie it might be 2.7 rounded up this would be 3 but multiply by 2 and its 5.4 so its knocked down to 5.

The best way to sort this is to buy the calculator @ 10.95 from classes you can then really work out what you are eating because now when I have beans and toast instead of using two slices of white at about 4/5 pp with out butter i have 2 garlic toasties nom nom:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Just had the worst possible start to the day in work :( feel like screaming.

Going to WI at lunch time coz have something on tonight. Is the meeting worth waiting for? My usual leader was saying it wld be all about portion size this wk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Hi does anyone know the difference between he USA Points Plus and the UK Pro Points systems?

I am trying to follow online but can only find a USA Point Plus calculator.
    I am taking it that my allowence is 29 points- same as UK?

Thanks!

they are different systems...they are VERY simular...but they are different. I was looking it up before...cos i was looking for recipes on weight watchers america.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hey all,

I have my WI tonight and I'm not sure how it's gonna go .... fingers crossed. I have a question!

Do you guys weigh yourselves at home too?
    I took a break from WW from Nov to Jan & bought myself a WW scales.
    I managed to only gain 3.5lbs in the 2 months so was delighted however ...

... the home scales tells me I'm 3lb lighter than the scales in my class.
    Does anyone else find this?

:confused:

oooh well this is kinda cool! Alot of the leaders seem to be talking about portion size at meetings...and weight watchers online are focusing on portion size too this wee! :)

The best place to learn correct portion sizes is at home.

And the more familiar you are with portion sizes there, the easier it is to estimate portion sizes when you're out and about.

Set up your home environment to help make portion perfection as simple as possible:

Arrange your cooking/eating area so that measuring tools are easily available and in plain sight. Place measuring spoons in the cutlery drawer as a reminder to check portions.

Use different measuring systems for liquids and solids. The best tool for solid measures are food scales or measuring spoons. For liquid measures, a clear glass or plastic measuring jug with markings on the side gives additional room at the top so liquids won't spill over.

Note the actual size of your dinnerware. This will help you get used to what correct servings look like on your plates. Using a smaller plate or bowl instead of a larger dinner plate may help you adjust your portion sizes.

When bringing home bulk-size packages of food, portion out sensible serving sizes. For example, if you purchase an extra large bag of crisps, use plastic bags to portion it into single servings. The same goes for large packages of poultry and meat – divide it into single servings right away for easy cooking or freezing.

When cooking from recipes, be mindful of serving sizes and how many servings a recipe actually makes.

When eating packaged foods or drinks, be aware that a serving is not necessarily the whole package. A single package can be two or more servings.

Only cook what you need at mealtimes. If you do have leftovers, immediately freeze or refrigerate them to help you avoid eating seconds.

Avoid eating straight from the packet. You may eat more than you realise. Instead, use a plate or bowl and make sure you track it.

Fill your plate with Filling & Healthy Foods, such as zero ProPoints value vegetables, salads and fruit, to help bulk meals out.

Learning to effectively gauge portion sizes when dining away from home can be key to weight loss success.

Familiarising yourself with correct portion sizes at home will help you get to grips with the portion sizes you're aiming for when dining outside of the home.

When Eating Out, Keep in Mind That:
    Sometimes just being in a restaurant or at someone else's home can promote a 'special occasion' feeling that makes it tough to stick to healthy portions.
    When dining out with a group, it might feel like everyone else is eating whatever they want, and you don't want to feel left out.
    Over time restaurant portion sizes have expanded immensely – often to two or three times what they should be. Combined with a 'clean-your-plate' mentality, this can spell trouble.

Strategies
    Read our practical tips for making it through the meal:

One of the best set of tools to use when dining outside of the home is your hands. Here's how it works:

The fist is equal to one medium fruit or one measured cup
    The thumb (whole thumb, from tip to base) is equal to one ounce of meat or cheese

The thumb from the tip to the first joint is about 1 tablespoon
    The index finger from the tip to the first joint is about a teaspoon
    The index finger between the first and second joints is about an inch
    The palm minus the fingers is a 3 ounce portion of cooked meat

Another strategy for large restaurant portions is to divide the food served to you in half. Don't be afraid to ask your server/waitress to wrap up the other half to take home. Doing this helps you avoid the temptation of eating too much just because it's there.

Consider ordering from the kids' menu or the starters menu where portions are almost always smaller. Also, restaurants will often make half portions or lunch-sized portions at dinner time, if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Learning to effectively gauge portion sizes when dining away from home can be key to weight loss success.

Familiarising yourself with correct portion sizes at home will help you get to grips with the portion sizes you're aiming for when dining outside of the home.

When Eating Out, Keep in Mind That:
    Sometimes just being in a restaurant or at someone else's home can promote a 'special occasion' feeling that makes it tough to stick to healthy portions.
    When dining out with a group, it might feel like everyone else is eating whatever they want, and you don't want to feel left out.
    Over time restaurant portion sizes have expanded immensely – often to two or three times what they should be. Combined with a 'clean-your-plate' mentality, this can spell trouble.

Strategies
    Read our practical tips for making it through the meal:

One of the best set of tools to use when dining outside of the home is your hands. Here's how it works:

The fist is equal to one medium fruit or one measured cup
    The thumb (whole thumb, from tip to base) is equal to one ounce of meat or cheese

The thumb from the tip to the first joint is about 1 tablespoon
    The index finger from the tip to the first joint is about a teaspoon
    The index finger between the first and second joints is about an inch
    The palm minus the fingers is a 3 ounce portion of cooked meat

Another strategy for large restaurant portions is to divide the food served to you in half. Don't be afraid to ask your server/waitress to wrap up the other half to take home. Doing this helps you avoid the temptation of eating too much just because it's there.

Consider ordering from the kids' menu or the starters menu where portions are almost always smaller. Also, restaurants will often make half portions or lunch-sized portions at dinner time, if asked.

I'm not sure how that hand rule works as everyones hands are very different sizes - there is def not an inch between the 2 joints on my index finger and the top of my thumb is def less than a tbs. I do have small hands though.

All the other tips are great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭finglasgal1

Congrats on everyone who lost this week!!

To those who feel not strong enuf, you will!! Today im not the best due to bn at hosp all morning but reading this has lifted me some what!

For todays lunch and dinner I was thinking of:

Lunch: 2 slices of "low fat" pat the baker farmhouse brown bread with low fat jam OR WW wrap with chicken, WW mayo, onions, mushrooms and peppers... Suggestions welcome to help me lol

Dinner I was thinking of making the cottage pie! I have most of the ingredients.... Would it be ok to use garlic pureé instead of clove as I have none and not in mood of going bk out lol

Also the wraps would they be high in PP?

I don't know if this recipe was already posted but I said i'd put it up anyway as I love it. It is Zero PP.

Chunky Italian Vegetable Soup

2 carrots
    1 onion
    2 celery sticks
    200g turnip
    1 crushed garlic clove
    2 cans of chopped tomatoes
    1 tbs tomato puree
    1tbs dried Italian herbs
    900 mls veg stock ( I used beef and it makes it tastier)

Chop the veg and throw the whole lot in a pot and cook until tender.

I don't blend this soup and I find it more satisfying to eat that way.

Edit to say: I'm making this now and adding a red chili pepper. Will let ye know how it goes.

Congrats on everyone who lost this week!!

To those who feel not strong enuf, you will!! Today im not the best due to bn at hosp all morning but reading this has lifted me some what!

For todays lunch and dinner I was thinking of:

Lunch: 2 slices of "low fat" pat the baker farmhouse brown bread with low fat jam OR WW wrap with chicken, WW mayo, onions, mushrooms and peppers... Suggestions welcome to help me lol

Dinner I was thinking of making the cottage pie! I have most of the ingredients.... Would it be ok to use garlic pureé instead of clove as I have none and not in mood of going bk out lol

Also the wraps would they be high in PP?

Go for the wrap it will be more filling try adding some chicken or ham for protein maybe? The ww wraps are 3pp for one and 5pp for 2.

Im also going to try the quorn cottage pie tonight. Looking forward to that I haven't had mash in 2 weeks :):)

Edit: opps I was reading too fast you already said chicken lol. Hope all is well after the hospital.

Go for the wrap it will be more filling try adding some chicken or ham for protein maybe? The ww wraps are 3pp for one and 5pp for 2.

Im also going to try the quorn cottage pie tonight. Looking forward to that I haven't had mash in 2 weeks :):)

Edit: opps I was reading too fast you already said chicken lol. Hope all is well after the hospital.

Thanks missus! Im going to make a wrap as im starving marving! will the peppers and mushrooms be ok on it?

Hope u feel better in urself soon. Remember happy positive thoughts, you be surprised how good u feel when u think happy and smile :-)

Ah thanks hun, Im feeling good now today. Just making my soup for the week :)

I would say the mushrooms would be fine, I wouldn't have them myself though lol. I love chicken, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes and a tiny bit of sweet chili sauce. Yum :D

• Advertisement

Ah thanks hun, Im feeling good now today. Just making my soup for the week :)

I would say the mushrooms would be fine, I wouldn't have them myself though lol. I love chicken, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes and a tiny bit of sweet chili sauce. Yum :D

I love mushrooms with anything haha glad ur feeling good :-)
    You can always email me if u need to ok!

Oh wat soup u making? nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

dammitj wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have my WI tonight and I'm not sure how it's gonna go .... fingers crossed. I have a question!

Do you guys weigh yourselves at home too?
    I took a break from WW from Nov to Jan & bought myself a WW scales.
    I managed to only gain 3.5lbs in the 2 months so was delighted however ...

... the home scales tells me I'm 3lb lighter than the scales in my class.
    Does anyone else find this?

:confused:

yeah i have a ww scales at home and i am lighter on that than i am at the meeting :confused: i just thought it was my scales!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Had my weigh in last nite...Delighted was down 1 lbs:D so thats 10 lbs in two week:D... wohoo... Fingers crossed mite get my stone next week so...

cottage pie is the ultimate food on a day like this!

Horrible out! I'm drinking as much water as my stomach can take. I always reach for food and hot drinks when its cold out!

Breakkie:
    30g oatmeal,
    160ml skimmed milk
    Skinny Cappuccino
    5pp

Lunch:
    70g pasta
    1/2 tub Dolmio Carbonara Stir in
    10pp

Dinner
    Baked Chicken Breast
    Boiled Potatoes
    Peas & Corn
    14pp

I'm working on projects today....going to be a long night...so i've left my self with plenty of points for a coffee/coco or a sandwich & soup later this evening after my dinner.

izzy24 wrote: »
    Had my weigh in last nite...Delighted was down 1 lbs:D so thats 10 lbs in two week:D... wohoo... Fingers crossed mite get my stone next week so...

wow thats amazing! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭usernamecat

Was thinking of having bacon for dinner, but can't find points anywhere, seems to only be rashers. Proper bacon like bacon and cabbage. Anyone had this and pointed it??
    Tanx

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    wow thats amazing! Well done!

Well done!! That's fantastic!

izzy24 wrote: »

Thats an excellent result. Keep up the good work :D

I love mushrooms with anything haha glad ur feeling good :-)
    You can always email me if u need to ok!

Oh wat soup u making? nom nom nom

Thanks hun your very good :) I made the Italian soup I posted earlier.

nom nom nom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWi7CLoZ2Q

• Advertisement

Are there many pp in potato salad?
    I just had about a tablespoon of it in the work canteen as I was feeling adventurous and my ww bread and ww tuna sandwich just needed a little extra ...

:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement