Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Joined last night, want to lose a couple of lbs of the baby weight and xmas gorging!!!
    i am breast feeding and have been given an extra 10 points!! It seems a lot anyone else in the same position?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hey guys...Welcome to all the newbies..havin had a chance to log in all week with work an college exams etc!!

Had my second WI of 09 last night was dwn 3lb which was fab..

I did the fast start plan last week and really enjoyed it..trying new foods and avoidin old ones :D:D

Gonna give it ago again this week see how it goes.!!

Well done to you guys that WI already and good luck to the others that still have to..

Will check in soon xx

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

rubadub wrote: »
    What sort of stuff are you eating, are you carefully calculating all your points? In any weight loss program the most important scales is the one in the kitchen, not the bathroom.

All calories and therefore points are not used equally by humans, they are all estimates calculated in labs, not on humans. If you ate your 17points solely from bags of sugar you would not lose as much weight as if you ate 17points per day from eating butter. That is extreme but you could be veering towards a "bad points". I dunno if they mention this at WW meetings.

You should wear the exact same clothes, or clothes that weigh the same, this way your tracking of weight loss is not altered. If you stood on with 10lb boots each week it doesn't matter to your tracking of loses per week. But obviously it might later your goal weight.

Have a look here www.simplefit.org
    and here http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

Bear in mind if you are "toning" you are building a little muscle and it can mean your weight loss could slow, while your fat loss could be good. e.g. I remained 12stone for well over a year, yet got much thinner in that time, building muscle and losing fat at the same rate. As a woman you would probably not see the same effect to that degree. On a calorie controlled diet you will not put on much muscle, but it is worth doing as it increases metabolism.

Thanks rubadub. I was just feeling a bit fed up yesterday! To be honest I'm being very good in the sense that I haven't been wasting any points on sweets or junk at all, hence the frustration. I don't take sugar in my coffee (never did, mind). I DO have this inherent NEED to have something sweet after my dinner...but I've been sticking to fruit or a yoghurt or both.

There isn't really anything "typical" about what I'm eating on a daily basis, bar breakfast which is porridge with a teaspoon of honey and a chopped banana.

Lunch could be a sandwich/soup.

Dinner....I've just got the WW cookbook so I've been trying out recipes from that. They calculate the points allowance of each serving of each meal.

They do stress the "Bad Point" route that you could succumb to at WW, and highlight that it is not the way to go....my leader gave the example that you could easily waste your entire allowance on two bars of Dairy Milk...I'm not big on chocolate anyway, but it's put me right off haha!

Thanks for the links, will give them a look-see!

Thanks Tootsie, too! I'm not giving up at all......just frustrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Hey guys lost a pound this week:D 1.5 pounds to go for my first stone off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭LorDar

Congratulations shellybelly & psycho-hope - that's brilliant!! Isn't it great to have a good result 1st week back? Kinda gets you all motivated again!:D
    I lost 5lbs this week - which I am absolutely thrilled about! Especially seeing as I put on 4lb before & during Christmas.

Quality - welcome! And congratulations on the new baby!:)
    I know 10 extra points is a lot but I found when I was breastfeeding (& not doing WW!) I could eat what ever I liked & the weight still came off - my problem was I keep eating even after I stopped BF (Oops!):o Hence the reason I'm in WW now!
    You are in a really good position - maybe if you think 10+ points is too much you could see how it goes for the 1st week or two & if you feel you need to reduce the points you can. Also, as the baby gets older & starts on solids etc.. you will be BF less so will probably reduce your points then. I'm sure your leader will have lots of advice on this! Best of luck with it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Shelka

LorDar wrote: »
    Even though I had every intention of being good I just couldn't help myself. We had visitors for the weekend and the house was full of goodies - I tried to restrain myself but couldn't

Yeah its really hard when there's loads of food around. In work people always bring in sweets and baking and its so hard being surrounded by it all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

Morning Everyone!

well had my WI last night & was down 2.5lbs i'm delighted 24lbs gone in total now!! really enjoying the new plan as i'd forgotten alot of the good old faithfuls! filling foods really do work! :p

congrats to everyone this week! i'm really motivated to get gold this year. GOLD WILL BE MINE IN 2009 ! i have to say i think i'm blessed with one of the most motivating leaders out there she's a true star!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ShoeQueen19

Hey all

I'm a newbie to this site and to weightwatchers. Literally started on Tuesday just gone, my mum was going and I decided to go with her. I am around 5ft 6/7 and weighed 10stone 10lbs on my first weigh in. I have been told I don't need to loose weight, as I carry it well, but I want to do this as a personal goal for me. I have never felt like I am skinny, a few people tell me I am but all my friends are petite and skinny, and it makes me feel like the fattest one, therefore uncomfortable. I am going on holiday to Kuala Lumpur on 30th May, and my goal is to lose a stone by then. I may get halfway to that and decide that I have lost enough weight, and that is the point I will stop trying to lose and start maintaining it.

I have never really been one for diets, and weightwatchers seems ok, but a few of the things I have read on this website have worried me - I have definately cut down the amount of rubbish I am eating, but I haven't heard anything about bad points. I have stopped eating chocolate and crisps (they are my main vice) and if I really have to I have replaced them with weightwatchers crisps and weightwatchers cookies - all within my allowance. Would these be classed as bad points, or not because they are weightwatchers food and not regular fatty chocolates or crisps? The things that are regarded as unhealthy for you I have either stopped heating or buy the weightwatchers versions instead, I just wondered what everyone thought.

Thanks for your help, and judging by the comments on there everyone is doing really well on WW, you have completely inspired me to really stick to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Thanks Lor Dar, I have been bulking up the dinners with lots of veg and I am eating fruit now, instead of milling roses & biscuits... Havent used my full points allowance yet.. Because I am feeling fuller.

Looking at the stories here has me really motivated to lose the weight... Youse are doing brilliantly girls!!!

Hey all

I have never really been one for diets, and weightwatchers seems ok, but a few of the things I have read on this website have worried me - I have definately cut down the amount of rubbish I am eating, but I haven't heard anything about bad points. I have stopped eating chocolate and crisps (they are my main vice) and if I really have to I have replaced them with weightwatchers crisps and weightwatchers cookies - all within my allowance. Would these be classed as bad points, or not because they are weightwatchers food and not regular fatty chocolates or crisps? The things that are regarded as unhealthy for you I have either stopped heating or buy the weightwatchers versions instead, I just wondered what everyone thought.

Thanks for your help, and judging by the comments on there everyone is doing really well on WW, you have completely inspired me to really stick to this!

Hey ShoeQueen!

The "bad points" topic is a slightly confusing one to anyone new to WW. you've gotten it right there by subsituting the higher point crisps/chocs etc for low point options. i'd say based on your current weight & height your points are quite low maybe between 18 & 20. so it would be bad use of your points to regualry eat the foods that aren't going to keep you fuller for longer have a look over the filling foods in the new programme it's great really worked for me this week! think of your points as money is it good value to spend points on something that's not going to keep you as full as a lower point option will. hope that helps! best of luck with week 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ShoeQueen19

Hey, thanks for your response.

I am on 19 points a day - The thing is I am quite picky with food, and I am finding things quite difficult - For breakfast I have been having porridge which is a filling food, but for lunch I find things hard - I have a busy life and cannot find time to make myself lunch to take to work, and in our canteen I am wary of eating certain hot foods as I cannot work out the points, due to not knowing what sauce or what it's cooked in, and also how much the portion size is. I like salads, but not the normal salad items you would have such as tomato, onion, celery etc so I find lunch times hard.

As my mum is also doing weightwatchers she cooks healthy meals and uses as many filling foods as she can, it's literally just the snacking during the day due to boredom thats the bad part.

I'll just have to wait and see how much loss I have made on Tuesday, I know you always tend to lose more on your first week, but hopefully it will tell me whether I am moving in the right direction or not!

Sorry for the essay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Hey All!!

Just back from my WI after properly starting back on WW. I'm down 3.5lbs and chuffed cos my hardwork paid off!
    I think planning my meals and lunches definitely worked for me.

now just to try and move my backside a bit more - finding the motivation for that is the hard thing for me.

Well done all by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 corcors

I am currently in work surrounded by chocolates and finding it terribly hard not to indulge :mad:

Also roughly how many points are in a btl of wine??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Papillon87 wrote: »
    There isn't really anything "typical" about what I'm eating on a daily basis, bar breakfast which is porridge with a teaspoon of honey and a chopped banana.
    Are you weighing up and calculating these points though?

Cereals pack loads of calories, do not guess the portions, the front of the pack might look like this
    _38510637_museli300.jpg
    Now you might look and calculate using the quoted portion on the side, but a typical quoted portion is 35-45g, and 35g looks like this.
    museli.jpg
    but I haven't heard anything about bad points. I have stopped eating chocolate and crisps (they are my main vice) and if I really have to I have replaced them with weightwatchers crisps and weightwatchers cookies - all within my allowance.
    ladiee24 wrote: »
    The "bad points" topic is a slightly confusing one to anyone new to WW. you've gotten it right there by subsituting the higher point crisps/chocs etc for low point options.

I think I was the person who brought up "bad points", I do not got to WW, and did/do not think it is a WW term. But I was wondering if they did note that some foods can be worse than others, even if points are equal. I know they like to keep things simple though. I do not mean worse as in nutritionally bad, I mean worse as in more fattening though the points are the same.

WW points are calculated using fat content and calorie content. I personally count calories, but I know calories do not have the same effect on my weight. e.g. in a study one group was fed 500kcal extra per day as alcohol, another had 500kcal extra as a sugar drink. Now since there was no fat in the drinks then they would also have equal WW points, 7 points. However the sugar drinkers put on more fat than the alcohol drinkers.

In engineering terms if you burned the alcohol or the sugar they would give off the same energy. However humans are more complex and might not use calories/points as evenly as a engine would.

In a well balanced diet these differences will even each other out, but if you go to extremes it can matter. e.g. I drink a lot of beer, probably 6000kcal a week (86points), now if I switched to 6000kcal of coke instead I expect I would get really fat.

By calorie/point counting it helps you more aware of what foods can fill you well without making you fat. It is really intended to help you make wise choices, e.g. I could have 2 spicy chicken fillets, or 1 bar. You weigh up the options and hopefully make a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Weighed in this morning. Down another two pounds! I also realised that the healthy BMI range for my height is 6 pounds higher than I thought so I'm only 11.5lbs from my original goal! I'll probably aim for a bit more when Iget there but thats pretty cool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trish21

First time to post on this thread. I have been going to weight watchers for about the last 2 1/2 years on and off. I orginally started in when I was in college went from nearly 12 stone to 10 stone. However, the weight has crept on again and am now about 11 st 4lbs.

I am really determined in the new year to finally lose the weight for good and be a gold member. I think where I am going wrong is I dont exercise enough now whereas when I was at college I was constantly walking places. I started back at weight watchers on the 7th Jan and this week I lost a 1lb. (was a bit shocked because I was out a good few times over last weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

dont think ive posted in this thread before.

i need someone to give me a good kick or something.

ive been going to WW since about september. before xmas i had lost over a stone & was quite motivated. over xmas i put on a few lbs, but still managed to maintain the stone loss. i was really motivated for my first week back, i had 1 bad day where i had a (thin) takeaway pizza, but i had about 14 points to cover it so i shouldnt have gone too much over that day. i expected a decent weight loss on my weigh in. i lost 1lb.

i know its still a loss. but it just felt like such a disappointment. ive had weeks where ive had a bad weekend and still lost more by pulling back during the week. usually i dont count points the day after my weigh in & then might drink a night or 2 at the weekend, but ill be good the rest of the time & im fine. it just seemed unfair. & then to listen to my leader going on and on about how the weight loss this week had been great and so many people had lost 3-4lbs.

i feel like i needed a good result to kickstart me into the year. but 1lb really disappointed me, & i havent been able to get into it since. i cant seem to care.

sorry for the moan, im just feeling down about it, & if i dont cop on soon im gonna crack and just start eating badly again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Weighed in this morning. Down another two pounds! I also realised that the healthy BMI range for my height is 6 pounds higher than I thought so I'm only 11.5lbs from my original goal! I'll probably aim for a bit more when Iget there but thats pretty cool ;)
    mm, was checking through a few of the BMI calculators on the web a few days ago and got the same from each. BUT. There was a fair bit of difference about what ur "ideal" weight range should be. Slimfast was the worst, according to them I should be @ 9st 5lbs, whereas another site said 10st 7lbs was a healthy weight for my height. TBH, I think it comes down to what you urself feel happy and comfortable with. This was a stumbling block for me b4 as when I saw how much I had to drop it was a disinsentive. The other thing you have to remember is the more you exercise the firmer the muscles get and you may also gain some muscle mass, and muscle is heavier than fat. Having said that, Your amazing, your results are fantastic and your resolve is to be admired.

There are so many new posters cannot welcome you all individually, so big welcome to all. You have found a place where you will never be judged, but always praised and supported, regardless of loss or gain.

As for myself, I am in no-mans land at present. I have hit the 1 stone loss, but I really don't know how, got some bad news over the xmass and am aimless, incentiveless and hopeless ( and any other -less you can think of). Sorry. I'm rambling I know, but, I think I just need to see it in print to shake myself out of this. Ok, I'm off to give myself a good talking to, again!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Just checkin in...weekend going ok..

Some vodka fri an lack of exercise gettin me dwn but il try rekindle it all tamo with the gym :D:D

Hope your all havin good weekend!! xx

sars84; please don't give up - you've come so far! I know the 1lb loss probably doesn't seem much but sometimes you don't always see the results in the week you want - you will probably see the results of all your good work next week (remember you're body doesn't know it's weigh in day!)

• Advertisement

sar84 wrote: »
    dont think ive posted in this thread before.

i need someone to give me a good kick or something.

ive been going to WW since about september. before xmas i had lost over a stone & was quite motivated. over xmas i put on a few lbs, but still managed to maintain the stone loss. i was really motivated for my first week back, i had 1 bad day where i had a (thin) takeaway pizza, but i had about 14 points to cover it so i shouldnt have gone too much over that day. i expected a decent weight loss on my weigh in. i lost 1lb.

i know its still a loss. but it just felt like such a disappointment. ive had weeks where ive had a bad weekend and still lost more by pulling back during the week. usually i dont count points the day after my weigh in & then might drink a night or 2 at the weekend, but ill be good the rest of the time & im fine. it just seemed unfair. & then to listen to my leader going on and on about how the weight loss this week had been great and so many people had lost 3-4lbs.

i feel like i needed a good result to kickstart me into the year. but 1lb really disappointed me, & i havent been able to get into it since. i cant seem to care.

sorry for the moan, im just feeling down about it, & if i dont cop on soon im gonna crack and just start eating badly again.

hey Sar84 you're quite entitled to moan & that's what we're all here for to provide support!! can you do me a favour? when you can pick up a bag of sugar if you have one & look at it that's how much you've lost in 1lb.

you're body may just be a slow in catching up with your good work i effectily only lost 0.5 of a pound last week cause i was up at christmas you can't be so hard on yourself a loss is a loss regardless! if you lost 1lb a week that's 52lbs in a year which is just over 3.5stone! i know my leader always says it's a marathon not a sprint! be easy on yourself & don't give up hope you will get there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

thanks for the replies. think its a bit late for me this week though, my weekend was a total disaster! im gonna try be good until my weigh in & hope that i at least wont put anything ON. back to it properly next week hopefully.

im going away for a weekend at the end of feb, was hoping to be down another 1/2 stone by then. its quite doable if only i could cop on to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

when you can pick up a bag of sugar if you have one & look at it that's how much you've lost in 1lb.
    Yes, I love when they do that on TV, big blobs of fat. In the supermarket most butter is still in 1lb sizes, and since it is fat it is around the same volume. Just look at the big mound of butter all stacked up, I would be hard pushed to lift what I have lost in fat. I remember struggling home with 2 crates of beer over christmas but was then thinking that is around the same weight as what I have lost.

If you mess up a week just calculate the average you have lost over the entire period. Depending on hydration you can be up or down very easily. I can drink 5 pints in one sitting, that is about 6lb extra in 2 hours, but not fat!

And 1lb loss is not to be sniffed at
    you're body may just be a slow in catching up with your good work i effectily only lost 0.5 of a pound last week
    I only aimed for 0.5lb per week loss, slower to come off the more likely to stay off, and it will not slow your metabolism, easier on yourself and your system.

Remember unless you are mega big you can really only physically lose up to 2lb fat per week. If you lose more it is water & muscle mass, and losing muscle is a big no-no, it slows your metabolism and makes you weak and therefore less prone to snacking for energy.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, I love when they do that on TV, big blobs of fat. In the supermarket most butter is still in 1lb sizes, and since it is fat it is around the same volume. Just look at the big mound of butter all stacked up, I would be hard pushed to lift what I have lost in fat. I remember struggling home with 2 crates of beer over christmas but was then thinking that is around the same weight as what I have lost.

And 1lb loss is not to be sniffed at

I only aimed for 0.5lb per week loss, slower to come off the more likely to stay off, and it will not slow your metabolism, easier on yourself and your system.

Remember unless you are mega big you can really only physically lose up to 2lb fat per week. If you lose more it is water & muscle mass, and losing muscle is a big no-no, it slows your metabolism and makes you weak and therefore less prone to snacking for energy.

rubadub is so right in this post Sar84 tis why were here! i bet you'll be down at least 0.5 this week! best of luck til your next WI!!

Hi all! Hope you're all doing OK this week :)
    I am pretty much on track (aside from a slight blip with a pizza on Friday - but sure we have to live!:D)
    Weigh-In is tonight & I am looking forward to being down (positive thinking!) - would love to be down 1.5lbs as it's a landmark amount for me (total 3st since heaviest!), but if it's only 0.5lb that's OK as I know I can reach the landmark soon!

Good luck to all for the week!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Hey all, joined WW last Thursday. All was going well until Sunday when I woke up with a vomiting bug. Couldn't eat anything on Sunday, but yesterday I stayed to the plan, but didn't choose the right foods within the points (e.g. Ate Tayto popcorn and a pack of Doritos) but ah well, I'm hoping the first weigh in goes well on Thursday.

Welcome JBoyle4eva & hope you're feeling better! When you're sick I think it is almost impossible to eat properly - but hopefully it won't impact too much on your weight loss!:)

Tonight I lost 3lbs!! I am absolutely over the moon with this result as I got my 3rd stone - I first joined in 2004, so it's been a long journey! My total weight loss since 1st Oct 2008 is 22lb (when I finally rejoined after having my children!):D So my advice (for what it's worth!) is to stick with it! I know it's hard & there are ups and downs - but don't give up because you will get there in the end!

I still have 12lbs to go to reach my goal weight - so I'm still on this weight loss journey! So, taking a leaf from another poster (Thank you ladiee24) I am going to publicly declare my target date - 21st APRIL 2009!!! Here we come!:):):)

LorDar wrote: »
    I still have 12lbs to go to reach my goal weight - so I'm still on this weight loss journey! So, taking a leaf from another poster (Thank you ladiee24) I am going to publicly declare my target date - 21st APRIL 2009!!! Here we come!:):):)

you've actually brought a tear to my eye LorDar. :o I understand how hard the WW journey can be I first joined WW in 2002 & have been back & forth since then did well & then fell off the the path & yo-yo'd until the end of August 2008 when something just clicked with me. I realised I am the one with the power I can do this for myself NO-ONE else can.

I recognised that there will be good days & bloody hard/bad days but a bad day isn't the end of the world i just need to start again the next day or at lunch or dinner time for that fact.

So best of luck for 21st APRIL 2009! I know you can do it!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I have been at weight watchers for 2 years and four months, in that time i have lost a total of 1 stone 12 pounds, i did not go last night because i was terrified of gaining weight, In four months i had lost a stone and a half, then i took a break at christmas and gained 8 pounds, now i am trying to do it properly, I always have a day where I eat loads, then try to be good the next day but it never normally works, now that it is freezing cold its harder to go walking. I have about another five stone to go. I read a story recently where a woman planned what to eat everyday i think that would work better for me so even if I wanted to pig out one day I could save points from another day.

• Advertisement

lovinit; congratulations on your weight loss so far! I know it's hard going back to WW when you are expecting a gain - but really facing up to it is the best thing. For me anyway, I need to know what I am dealing with.
    I too gained at Christmas but I was back the first week in Jan to know how bad it was and I have to say the last two weeks have been great (lost a total of 8lbs so far in 2009). You never know - it might not be as bad as you think!
    Maybe start a food diary on here?? Some people plan theirs a day in advance & others up-date it after. I started doing it after but actually find it easier to now do it in advance - it helps me get prepared for the day! Good Luck anyway & keep us up-dated!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement