Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the big attraction with men in bands/football players?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Band memeber = sense of rythm, timing and usually dexterity.

This.

I've always had a thing for musicians, for as long as I can remember. I do tend to suffer rather badly from man-on-stage syndrome too. I'd say most of the guys I've been seriously interested in have played some instrument or other. I got lucky when I actually started going out with one :). There are downsides though, like he mocks my music taste and, coming up to gigs, seems to always be at practice.

GAA players would actually be a turn-off though. Not a big fan of rugby players or football players either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Well, strength, health, intelligence, prosperity and popularity - these are all things usually essential to any woman when choosing a mate. Hence, playing sports tends to indicate that a male is fit, energetic and healthy, musicians express a high level of expression and creativity, which is seeing as going hand and hand with high intelligence, even amatuer sportsmen like GAA players can get high paid jobs and advertising deals because of their occupation and I doubt there are many communities or socities in the world, no matter how small or big, that don't treasure their sportsmen. Seems largely simple to me.

BTW, I'm taking notes from this thread, so when the culchie revolution starts Thaedayl and co. will go down amongst an avalanche of hurleys and sliotars...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Orizio wrote: »
    so when the culchie revolution starts

I for one welcome our future traffic directing, culchie gardai overlords.

I know it's all perhaps a little too Third Reich, but do you think they could all be clad in the black leather traffic cop gear? thks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

ACtually the Garda biker gear is pretty hawt......hmmmmmmm....

Anyhow, to add my two cents to this:

I have been known to indulge in the occasional drama, musical, recital type thing; and i tell ya; it brings the men in like the bees to a honeypot.

The guy who ignored you before the performance will be all about you after it!!

My point is that men are attracted to talent too, so perhaps we are all just instinctually attracted to talent and demonstrative creativeness??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Intelligence is teh sexeh, so seeing a girl performing and doing well is hot.

Also, don't get worked up too much, but I play the fiddle. Think about what these hands could do ladies....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I totally get the band thing.

Leadsingeritis turns an ordinary bloke into a sex god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ibanez777vbk

very easy to answer this £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Anybody who's spent any time hanging out with musicky folks know that money really, really isn't a factor in the equation at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

But....but...ibanez named himself after his guitar, he must know all about the monies?????

hahaha im a musican myself,was only joking really about £££££ im not in a band.never had a woman because of my guitar playing.yes named after my stunning ibanez jem777vbk awsome piece of kit :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

This thread has become very interesting.

I've got another question--when high social value male meets high social value female what happens? Is it a recipie for disaster?

Must tell all the lonely people in PI to join bands or GAA teams;)

ive had loads of people say wow you must get loads of women playing guitar,but like i said ive never had women through playing guitar,think its just a old wives tale lol and no im not a ugly twat incase you are wondering hahaha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I would have thought it was less of a talent or high status thing and more of a confidence thing. When a band is on stage they are usually confident and the same for sports people. It's the same for any walk of life. Confident people get laid.

I also agree with the money thing. I've seen some ugly, fat, rich guys get savage women. (And no i'm not jealous ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

hahaha im a musican myself,was only joking really about £££££ im not in a band.never had a woman because of my guitar playing.yes named after my stunning ibanez jem777vbk awsome piece of kit :)

Dude I play Guitar and Bass and GAA, and get absolutely no action...

I think this thread exists purely to mock me. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sunnyside wrote: »
    I've got another question--when high social value male meets high social value female what happens? Is it a recipie for disaster?
    Could be both:D The problem is if they're both very high value, because of their value they're used to keeping their options open, simply cos they can, so that could lead to wandering eye syndrome. Or their values could change. He could lose his company or whatever, she could lose her looks, then all bets could be off. In the honeymoon period of romantic love they'll both ignore that, but that only lasts 4 years at the very most. Look how long hollywood marriages last. Being mid value is the best way to be. I've got some work to do......:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Op think its comendable you are going to stay clear because situatuion will reck heads. Guess it is going to be and all that.

Musos types are often deep and creative and he prob doesn't have much or any interest in those dolly birds.

Much to my detrement am often attracted to musicians artists and philosophers - thoughtful moody broody types.

Wibbs wrote: »
    In the honeymoon period of romantic love they'll both ignore that, but that only lasts 4 years at the very most.

Please tell that to my parents.....they are tipping on 40 years together now. I don't have to turn the cold water hose on the dog, as much as I do them. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The initial mad hormone in love rush thing lasts four years at most. Usually less. Some chinless geek somewhere apparently measured it. :D

Fair play to your parents because that's rare enough and I suspect it'll get rarer. Where divorce is easy? Up to 50% of marriages go wallop. Of the ones that don't I would say a fair bunch of them would divorce but dont for various reasons. I'd be asking your folks how they made that transition into a truly long term thing. We may all learn something. Though it may come out as years of therapy for you. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Playing gigs is great for getting female attention! :D

314062931a7040241342l.jpg

After the gig in that picture, some chick licked our singer's face up and down. Both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Dear God! That's rotten.

Was she just a complete randomer?

Where you sad you didn't get any saliva?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

"So I"m in this band..." is the greatest pick up line ever! Talented, dedicated (it's not easy being in a GOOD band) and confident, and wow if they're playing music I actually like!? Amazing. I've always had a thing for the bass player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Saying that women wouldn't be attracted to these guys if they weren't successful at music/sport is like saying I wouldn't be attracted to the likes of Jessica Alba if she wasn't hot! Women are attracted to successful men who live exciting lifestyles and a lot of women see these men like that (even if they earn **** all money and have to work hard all the time). Its the same reason women are attracted to rich guys - not the money itself, but the fact the man is successful. You wouldn't find it odd if they were attracted to these guys because of their looks but for women they are often interested in loads of other things.

Its evolution; sport evolved so men could prove they were physically better, fitter and healthier than everyone else; music and other forms of art evolved so they could prove they were better thinkers. Its also a major driving force in crime. Subconciously, our genes drive us men to do this stuff with the sole purpose of attracting mates, while women are driven to be attracted to these men. Of course, all people are different and are attracted to different things, and some women rise above their evolutionary instincts, but most don't. Some will always be attracted to these guys.

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Dear God! That's rotten.

Was she just a complete randomer?

Where you sad you didn't get any saliva?

Complete randomer.

With a boyfriend.

A boyfriend that was standing not a few feet away watching. :p

I got other attention! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Parsley wrote: »
    Complete randomer.

With a boyfriend.

A boyfriend that was standing not a few feet away watching. :p

I got other attention! :D

Maybe that's how the boyfriend gets his kicks or something.

Did someone pinch your bum? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Saying that women wouldn't be attracted to these guys if they weren't successful at music/sport is like saying I wouldn't be attracted to the likes of Jessica Alba if she wasn't hot!

Do successful men in other fields get the same attention? Like, for instance, at a tax consultancy conference, will women be flocking around the guy who is the leader in the field of estate planning?

Or....do boards mods get more attention at boards beers because of their status in teh hierarchy of teh internets? (perhaps the behaviour of ppl at boards beers should be classified as 'wtf annomalous' and ignored)

Estate Planners get all the tail. But they're smart enough to keep it on the down low.

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Maybe that's how the boyfriend gets his kicks or something.

Did someone pinch your bum? :o

Nah, he looked pretty pissed off!

And yes. :P

it helps using flashy guitars aswell.google these 2 guitars ibanez jem 7vwh and ibanez jem 777dy.freaking stunning instruments,also best rock guitars £ can buy

The look of the guitar is irrelevant, so long as it neatly matches said Rockstar's rockstar persona. Punk types should not have a mint vintage Gibson, for instance.

• Advertisement

The look of the guitar is irrelevant, so long as it neatly matches said Rockstar's rockstar persona. Punk types should not have a mint vintage Gibson, for instance.
    i must be a posser then.no way id get on a stage without my ibanez jems.everyone that comes to my house first thing they say is wowwww nice guitars.its not just the looks they are awsome guitars.ive got a peavey hp special aswell, tobacco sunburst not as flashy looking as my other guitars but still a awsome tool

Advertisement