Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the big attraction with men in bands/football players?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have an explanation as to why certain women seem to throw themselves at these people?

I met up with my ex recently and would love to go back with him. He works as a musician in a band (a working band, certainly not X Factor wannabies or anything). One of the reasons I won't is because I'm not confident/secure enough to be dealing with the competition.

I've been to the gigs and every time it's the same thing. There will always be a few women hanging around and all they want is to sleep with the guys on the stage. These women are usually stunning with glossy hair and fabulous clothes. They would make any woman feel insecure but especially a girlfriend or wife of a band member.

I can't see what the attraction is. The band guys aren't exceptionally good looking, they work very long hours including every weekend, travel long distances, arrive home at 7am...It's hard work and anti-social hours but women just fall at their feet because of the job they do.

I believe footballers especially county GAA players and rugby players are just as attractive to these women, can anyone explain why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm not sure, i guess it's because they do something that the women enjoy watching/listening too. Also they got talent at something exciting.

Maybe someone else can give you more insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well in my home county (home of the McCarthy cup 3 years running :)) there are groups of jersey-pullers, who do anything to get near the players of the hurling team. This mystifies me because at the end of the day, they are the guys who you see on the street, or in the shop every week. On the other hand, men in bands can be very attractive. For me, its the creative mind, the artist, is more of an attraction than say...the hired bass guitarist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Basically high social value men = more interest from women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Nightwish wrote: »
    Well in my home county (home of the McCarthy cup 3 years running :)) there are groups of jersey-pullers, who do anything to get near the players of the hurling team. This mystifies me because at the end of the day, they are the guys who you see on the street, or in the shop every week. On the other hand, men in bands can be very attractive. For me, its the creative mind, the artist, is more of an attraction than say...the hired bass guitarist.

Jaysus, the Kilkenny team are the ugliest around, that is desperate!!! (;)) Ah yeah seen it myself with GAA players, Rugby players (especially) etc....the girls look like idiots surrounding them. They wouldn't look twice at them if they weren't who they are......I'm sure the boys aren't complaining though! ;) Really don't get the whole groupie thing myself, it's sad but sure whatever the eejits are in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Don't really care for footballers, but I love musicians. I think it's their creativity and talent. Front men / singers always appear really confident on stage and that's really attractive.

*Pulls on groupie t-shirt that says : ''I'm with the band!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

money

Not really. It's just some people will always be attracted to certain things. Much in the same way the popular people did well for themselves in school, for the most part, that same level of interest will be attached for other things later in life.

I mean, when i left secondary i was no fresco and up to that point i hadn't exactly been a killer with the ladies. When i went to college i started up a band with some people and we did pretty well on the local scene, just playing pubs and colleges and the like. At every gig there was interest being shown.

The same when i worked doors.

The same when i played sports.

I think more than anything else it shows that someone is at least trying, and obviously it displays some physical or mental attributes that others might find attractive.

Then you just have the people who feel that sleeping with someone who is even the smallest local level celeb validates them in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I used to 'see' a lad who played bass and wasn't exceptionally good looking (trying to be diplomatic...he wasn't ugly either :D) and the girls would be three or four deep trying to get to him before, during and after gigs. I think in some ways their talent is very sexy. Maybe it's the brag value too though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Nightwish wrote: »
    , men in bands can be very attractive. For me, its the creative mind, the artist, is more of an attraction than say...the hired bass guitarist.

My ex is the hired bass guitarist but he still gets lots of female attention as does the married drummer.
    Wibbs wrote: »

That makes sense but the guys I'm talking about aren't in the papers every day. I've seen women behave like this around rubbish wedding bands too.
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    They wouldn't look twice at them if they weren't who they are.

That is so true. These groupie types can't see that the men involved are just as ordinary as everybody else. The groupie types are obsessed with every little detail of the band people or GAA players lifestyle. It's pathetic.
    money

But they don't have that much money:confused:Band members are paid, GAA players aren't although I believe they benefit from things like sponsored cars but most of them aren't rich.
    Acacia wrote: »
    but I love musicians. I think it's their creativity and talent. Front men / singers always appear really confident on stage and that's really attractive.

I can understand this but it doesn't last beyond the 2 hours they are on stage. When I first met the singer who employs my ex I was disappointed. I suppose I was expecting the vibrant and lively stage persona but he was just so ordinary. He was talking about and worrying about his mother who was in hospital, on the phone making a dentist's appointment, completely ordinary and mundane. A nice guy yes but no different to anybody else.

sunnyside wrote: »
    A nice guy yes but no different to anybody else.

To be honest everyone is. It doesn't matter what job you have, where you work, what you do. Bills need paying, friends and family get sick and sometimes you just want to sit on the couch and do nothing.

It's not any different if your me, Donald Trump, or George Clooney ( I bet The Donald and Georgeous never thought the would be mentioned in the same sentence as me :pac: ) the only difference is your couch is more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

money
    ^^^
    Does not apply for the GAA crowd now does it? And probably not for a lot of the musicians out there either.

From my point of view sportsmen would have great bodies.
    Musicians mightn't have great bodies but wooing the crowd from a stadium, pitch or a stage isn't really much of a difference.

Talent is very attractive and showcasing it is even more so.

Dragan wrote: »
    Then you just have the people who feel that sleeping with someone who is even the smallest local level celeb validates them in some way.
    ellscurr wrote: »
    Maybe it's the brag value too though?

Both of those reasons, definitely.
    To be honest everyone is. It doesn't matter what job you have, where you work, what you do. Bills need paying, friends and family get sick and sometimes you just want to sit on the couch and do nothing.

It's not any different if your me, Donald Trump, or George Clooney ( I bet The Donald and Georgeous never thought the would be mentioned in the same sentence as me :pac: ) the only difference is your couch is more expensive.

Exactly but I'm bitter bacause I lost the best boyfriend over this nonsense. I know it's mostly my fault because I'm just too insecure to be dealing with a man who has gorgeous girls chatting him up every night he's working. Men who work in bands see women looking fabulous all the time because they are working in a social environment. They don't see these women at home without make up in a track suit doing the housework, crying over something silly bacause they have PMT...

The band groupies are never ever the ones who are drunk and making fools of themselves either. Anytime I see them they are always classy types who make me feel frumpy no matter how much effort I've made. Im 30 and they would mostly be younger than me so that doesn't help either. This isn't PI so I'll stop about me now. I'm just interested in the reasons why these women behave why they do.

sunnyside wrote: »
    Exactly but I'm bitter bacause I lost the best boyfriend over this nonsense. I know it's mostly my fault because I'm just too insecure to be dealing with a man who has gorgeous girls chatting him up every night he's working. Men who work in bands see women looking fabulous all the time because they are working in a social environment. They don't see these women at home without make up in a track suit doing the housework, crying over something silly bacause they have PMT...

The band groupies are never ever the ones who are drunk and making fools of themselves either. Anytime I see them they are always classy types who make me feel frumpy no matter how much effort I've made. Im 30 and they would mostly be younger than me so that doesn't help either. This isn't PI so I'll stop about me now. I'm just interested in the reasons why these women behave why they do.

I'm not sure you are going to get any of the girls here admitting to the type of behaviour you are talking about, so mostly it's all going to be theory! Still fun though.

Out of interest, why no trust for the fella? Or you can just ignore that if i'm being a cheeky git for asking.

I'm not sure you are going to get any of the girls here admitting to the type of behaviour you are talking about, so mostly it's all going to be theory! Still fun though.

Out of interest, why no trust for the fella? Or you can just ignore that if i'm being a cheeky git for asking.

It's ok, you can ask although I don't have any great explanation for you. The band has a keyboard player who is getting married soon but he sometimes takes these girls up on their offers and provides all the details to other band members on long drive home later. If he was single it wouln't bother me, but he's getting married soon...I don't think this sort of working environment is good for any relationships. When that happens often enough it starts to be seen as normal by the guys involved.

The married with a baby drummer has never ever done anything he shouldn't (or if he has nobody told me) so some of them can definitely be trusted but the environment they work in makes it so easy and if there's one person in the group encouraging such behaviour others will often go along with it anyway even if they hadn't intended to.

I know that it would wreck my head worrying about it. When I go to a gig as a friend I'm always comparing myself to the groupies, imagine how bad I'd be if I was the girlfriend. It's more that I don't want to cope with it than not trusting him.

The singer rarely (but not never) bothers with his groupies. He flirts with them but doesn't go any further and the last time it did go further she became his girlfriend. He still flirts with the fans though, it's part of the job I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I suppose it has something to do with the world's obsession with celebrity and status? I know a girl who was never that interested in a particular guy that was mad about her since we started primary school school. When he became famous-ish for his musical abilities she was all over him like a rash.

I'd be with Nightwish on this, any man with a creative mind is a very sexy thing to me. I have never gone out with anyone while they have played in a band, but every one of my ex's bar one has played an instrument.

I would never be one to be a groupie, but there is nothing more sexier than a sexy bassist doing his thing on stage, I just prefer to appreciate from a quiet corner with my pint rather than all up in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

*dusts off bass guitar and football boots*

When I was in college I was the hockey team's goalie. No groupie love for hockey goalie? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sports player = a certain level of phyical fitness and stamina.
    Band memeber = sense of rythm, timing and usually dexterity.

Galvasean wrote: »
    *dusts off bass guitar and football boots*

When I was in college I was the hockey team's goalie. No groupie love for hockey goalie? :(

You mean for the guy who stands about preventing the other guys from scoring ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Sports player = a certain level of phyical fitness and stamina.
    Band memeber = sense of rythm, timing and usually dexterity.

Less chance of you breaking him :D

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Less chance of you breaking him :D

Omg!
    What have you heard, really I haven't 'broken' that many....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You mean for the guy who stands about preventing the other guys from scoring ?

The goalie never scores in hockey. Ironic, since he can't leave the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I was a hockey goalie too and gave a mental high five when I read that. Now I feel kinda durty :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Wibbs wrote: »

Ding ding ding!

High value socially, or the perception of it. People are attracted to it, if they get with a guy who is social royalty this well them elevate them to higher grounds.

High social value in turns yields advantages such as people ass kissing, better opportunities, more connections etc.

In short, guy with high social value has a good chance of succeeding in life and this is more attractive to the average female.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Don't understand the GAA thing. No disrespect to our fine national athletes, but sweet dancing Jehovah, some of them are ugly. Hurlers especially. *Shudder.*

Musicians though, yeah. Talent's a turn on, creative artsy talent especially. This goes triple if the nature of the music is in any way romantic. Even famous rockstar types who aren't... eh... conventionally good-lucking have a devastating effect on me if they can affect a troubled-but-sensitive demeanor and wield an instrument with any competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

With the sports people and in particular rugby it's more often than not a social status thing. Speaking from experience some of girls that seek out players are the type that will proclaim "oh my o.h plays for X,Y,Z" followed by "do you know X,Y,Z", a lot of it stems from the Dublin social scene and schools rugby mentality which works it's way up through college and so on, I've seen some absolute weapons go out with good looking girls. Others just like the idea of being with a sporty bloke and the rest just don't really give a **** they just like the guy.

Musicians are just the dogs bollox though and every woman should just throw themselves at their feet!

Musicians are just the dogs bollox though and every woman should just throw themselves at their feet!

I find my sure fire way of getting interest is simply to sing.

Jeff Buckley ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The goalie would get a good plucking alright.

/lame pun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Mm, that makes sense for Rugby, although when they're young, Rugby players haven't quite reached the apex of their fugliness, so it's easier for that to happen than, with, say Hurling.

I haven't figured out are Hurlers ugly because they play Hurling, or do they start playing Hurling because they're so ugly they have nothing to lose?

I haven't figured out are Hurlers ugly because they play Hurling, or do they start playing Hurling because they're so ugly they have nothing to lose?

A and B to be honest. The majority of the bad facial injuries i received from sports were from hurling would you believe.

The game just uglies you up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

In certain circles e.g ruggger buggers(males) and rugger huggers (females), you will always see them together. Again it boils down to social value of the males.

The captain will have some youngin on their arm regardless of his attractiveness. Some sub who could be model quality will have to fight harder just because of his social status.

Advertisement