Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The following phones can be turned into bug devices and controlled by remote access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Live access has always been available - when a warrant is issued.

For example, the cops have always been able to go to the Telco with a warrant and listen in to a telephone call. Since telephone calls existed.

Similarly, if a cop turns up with a warrant to an ISP, they can give him / her a mirror port on a switch and filter to 'listen' to live traffic. Technically, it's always been possible.

However, it all requires a warrant to initiate the gathering of data.

Tell me this - who exactly has your so called unrestricted and unsanctioned access? And who is giving it to them?

No ISP or Telco that I know of would let a cop through the door on anywhere near the network without a warrant. Simply because they are custodians of the customers privacy. By law. And ethically.

Just because you're mental, doesn't mean they're out to get you.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Do you ever notice on these forums when you post the truth antichrists like oscarbravo and friends respond with rubbish to as many other threads as possible to push down the truth?
    Yay - I've been promoted from little Hitler to Antichrist!

Now I need to find a nice antichrist avatar...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

dont get ahead of yerself there Oscar, your only AN Antichrist yet, I wouldnt be changin the Avatar till they confirm you as THE Antichrist

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a very simple solution to your problem Gareth - stop using phones and telecommunications devices and move into a camo tent in the Arizona desert. How would they find you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seamus wrote: »
    There's a very simple solution to your problem Gareth - stop using phones and telecommunications devices and move into a camo tent in the Arizona desert. How would they find you then?

duh !!, with the transmitters in his fillings :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Satellite surveillence

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

How would they find you then?

There's a far more important question...

If we're supposed to believe in this all-powerful, all-monitoring, all-controlling, secret world power.....

Why would they care enough to bother with you?

Let me guess....you could tell me, but it might draw the attention of the people you're alleging monitor everything and everyone anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KTRIC wrote: »
    Completely agree Ned, I work for one of the main phone manufacturers and believe me if they could do this sh!te , then there would be uproar.

I work in the IT department as well and a phone handset is nothing like a windows or linux client.
    Interesting but surprised that it would come from a state censored source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G1fNjK9SXg

ah but thats DISINFO, taking the battery out may not actualy stop them from listening to you, remember that young fella that was killed in Cork, they found him by boosting the power being transmitted to his phone even tho the battery was dead.

ah but thats DISINFO, taking the battery out may not actualy stop them from listening to you, remember that young fella that was killed in Cork, they found him by boosting the power being transmitted to his phone even tho the battery was dead.
    I already mentioned that in my BIG BROTHER post.

You need to remove the sim. This is how the authorities will trick you into believe that taking the battery out is sufficient.

Some newer generation phones may automaticaally clone the data from the sim directly on to the ssd drive unknowingly. The data base has the record of the IMEI which is sufficient enough.. Old analogue phones on the 088 TACS system never had any sims. Then we are foooked altogether. :eek:

FOX is a state run news channel for the NWO just like TASS was for the former Soviet Union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

your all just a lil paranoid

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    your all just a lil paranoid
    We will be when all this surveillance can be used as evidence against us in court :eek:

You would be afraid to tell a joke about a bomb on a plane in case Big Brother took it serious. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha i only read about 5 lines of op and seen its all just paranoia mate. I can use my n95 as a motion sensor but if im out i normaly bring phone with me.complete bull mate. Topic should be closed trust me. Im busting meself laughing at thought of it. Theory out the window mate.ill give ya proof if ya want

Keep your phone close to a running tap, the background noise will throw the authorities off. :pac:

remember that young fella that was killed in Cork, they found him by boosting the power being transmitted to his phone even tho the battery was dead.

Never heard that story...but it sounds really interesting.

Do you have any details?

bonkey wrote: »
    Never heard that story...but it sounds really interesting.

Do you have any details?
    O' Holleran case, there was a mention of this in the press at the time. The Service provider boosted up the signal for a couple of seconds from near by booster transmitters and located the phone. There was enough current in the bios/clock battery to omit a small signal. Apparently its only in very rare circumstsnces that they do this as it can damage equipment.

seanybiker wrote: »
    ha ha ha i only read about 5 lines of op and seen its all just paranoia mate. I can use my n95 as a motion sensor but if im out i normaly bring phone with me.complete bull mate. Topic should be closed trust me. Im busting meself laughing at thought of it. Theory out the window mate.ill give ya proof if ya want

Well come on then, what is it you can prove?

oh and Tahnks RTDH, I couldnt remember that youngfellas name.

O' Holleran case, there was a mention of this in the press at the time. The Service provider boosted up the signal for a couple of seconds from near by booster transmitters and located the phone. There was enough current in the bios/clock battery to omit a small signal. Apparently its only in very rare circumstsnces that they do this as it can damage equipment.
    I'd love to hear more about this. It's not at all consistent with my understanding of how cellular systems work, and I make my living in the wireless communication field.

The power was taken from the battery. The phone was switched off, but even in the switched off or low battery states many phones will still check in with the network now and again.

To the best of my knowledge most phones don't have a separate BIOS/clock battery, they just use a tiny amount of charge from the battery to maintain the clock. This is why many older phones used to prompt for the correct date and time if the battery was taken out for any extended period of time. Most modern phones take the date/time from the network unless you tell them otherwise, which is why you don't get prompted for the correct time.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'd love to hear more about this. It's not at all consistent with my understanding of how cellular systems work, and I make my living in the wireless communication field.
    If they can turn a 3G handset into a "roving bugs" from its switched off mode i am sure they are capibile of doing a lot of other things with them. :eek:

O Hollerans phone would have been quite dated compaired to anything of today.
    The power was taken from the battery. The phone was switched off, but even in the switched off or low battery states many phones will still check in with the network now and again.

To the best of my knowledge most phones don't have a separate BIOS/clock battery, they just use a tiny amount of charge from the battery to maintain the clock. This is why many older phones used to prompt for the correct date and time if the battery was taken out for any extended period of time. Most modern phones take the date/time from the network unless you tell them otherwise, which is why you don't get prompted for the correct time.
    All phones to the best of my knowledge have been using a separate bios batteries for years. It my be some form of a capacitor built into the circuitry that takes its charge from the main battery.

If they were to depend on taking the power from the main battery al lot of the data would be lost as soon as the battery is removed. I have an old Nokia 5100. The "clock" battery is long gone, I have to reset the clock and date each time the battery is removed or if it goes dead. This is the same as removing the bios battery from the motherboard of a PC.

• Advertisement

All phones to the best of my knowledge have been using a separate bios batteries for years. It my be some form of a capacitor built into the circuitry that takes its charge from the main battery.
    Capacitors can't hold charge indefinitely. From my experience, many electronics will retain small things like the time for a couple of minutes at most when disconnected from power. This is to facilitate the need to unplug stuff or take out their batteries for short periods of time.
    If they were to depend on taking the power from the main battery al lot of the data would be lost as soon as the battery is removed.
    How so? EEPROM allows small electronics to retain settings and information indefinitely without power. Most modern mobiles have a small quantity of solid-state storage which they use to store their settings and it doesn't require any power to retain it.
    I have an old Nokia 5100. The "clock" battery is long gone, I have to reset the clock and date each time the battery is removed or if it goes dead.
    In my experience, every single phone more than 3 or 4 years old requires that the clock be reset when the main battery is removed.

If they can turn a 3G handset into a "roving bugs" from its switched off mode i am sure they are capibile of doing a lot of other things with them. :eek:
    The first word in that sentence is by far the most pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Man I love that nutjobs like you people exist.

You need to remove the sim. This is how the authorities will trick you into believe that taking the battery out is sufficient.

Thank our lucky stars that the phone itself doesn't have a unique identifier* and that SIM-less phones can't communicate with a base station**

Otherwise, it would be trivial to match a SIM (and thus a person) to a phone's unique identifier, and connect using the last-identified phone-id rather than the SIM.

*Not true - it does.
    **Also not true - they can.

can a batteryless phone communicate with a base Station??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

can a batteryless phone communicate with a base Station??

Yes but only if the phone is 75ft from a unicorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Don't mind me, just ridding the thread of demons.
    Gareth37 wrote: »
    'Hail full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women.'

Salutation of St. Elizabeth to the Virgin Mary and the wonderful canticle MAGNIFICAT in which Mary foretold that "the generations would call her blessed."

As you were...

bonkey wrote: »
    Thank our lucky stars that the phone itself doesn't have a unique identifier* and that SIM-less phones can't communicate with a base station**

Otherwise, it would be trivial to match a SIM (and thus a person) to a phone's unique identifier, and connect using the last-identified phone-id rather than the SIM.

*Not true - it does.
    **Also not true - they can.
    Have you ever tried dialing 999? It will work in any phone without a sim card. IMEI data is sent out with the call. From this information the authorities can trace its registered owner. (If the phone is registered)

Registration of IMEI for all mobile phones using passport ID is on the cards throughout the EU in the near future, The home office was on about it in the UK recently, It is already imposed in France and will be a relatively simple and quick matter to enforce. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4969312.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Have you ever tried dialing 999? It will work in any phone without a sim card. IMEI data is sent out with the call. From this information the authorities can trace its registered owner. Registration of IMEI for all mobile phones is on the cards throughout the EU in the near future, It is already imposed in France and will be a relatively simple and quick matter to enforce in Ireland.

So you're saying that sensible legislation that means any phone can make a emergency call no matter if it's out of credit, is proof that phones can be used as listening devices. Did that leap of logic hurt your groin at all?

• Advertisement

Diogenes wrote: »
    So you're saying that sensible legislation that means any phone can make a emergency call no matter if it's out of credit, is proof that phones can be used as listening devices. Did that leap of logic hurt your groin at all?
    We already know that certain 3G phones can be used as listening devices.

I'm just proving a point that a mobile phone will transmit its IMEI regardless of sim being present or not. Whether it can be used as a "roving bug" without its sim has yet to be proven.

Advertisement