Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy snow: Early Tomorrow across much of the North and East.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Supercell wrote: »
    This is incredible, its sooo heavy and persistent, am a little happy , ahem.
    Webcam image looks really wintry looking yea lucky lucky.....:)

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temp now 0.6°C DP-0.7°C
    Heavy accumulating snow

wintry_house.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks amazing Supercell, really snowy up there!

YOU lucky lucky ************!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote: »
    Snowbie and Weathercheck......what a difference a few metres makes!!! It's been a mix between full on snow and rain mixed with large snow flakes the past few hours here and temp has been between 2.4 and 2.5c. Still a lot of large flakes mixed in with the wind. Looking up into the sky and I can see millions and millions of snow flakes passing by......another 100m and I'm sure the snow would be sticking.

Oh dear, it just went up to 2.7c. Warmest all day. Not a good sign so.
    Yea HD, just 1.5miles inland here now on lunch from work and a noticable change in precip. I have been quoting my readings from my station all morning and it must be at least half a degree milder at work by coast.

Could see the change in precip driving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

My feckin camera has given up!! Have to use the crappy phone one. Anyway, 1.0c here and pelting down huge snowflakes.

• Advertisement

Back garden...

bigsnow.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I think you'll be sick today SS! 2cm of snow here now and still pelting it. Unbelievable, the trees still have leaves on them FFS...!

Snow day declared :)

snowday.jpg

Only have my camera phone, but here's our dog enjoying the snow...!

dogsnow003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nice Dog:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I hear thers been loads of snow falling all day so far in the Dunshaughlin area but cant confirm as im in Germany! defo no snow in germany today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wonder will the ppn turn back in over the country as the low moves South
    Surprised at how fast the ppn has moved through. The gfs was suggesting a days worth and yet it's drying up already almost everywhere.
    Ah well here's hoping it bite back before the evening:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was just up in Enniskerry at a meeting and came out to a covering of snow - drove back thru' Glencullen and the Dublin Mountains, nice covering there too.

Sleet down here at lower levels.

Unfortunatley not as impressive as Supercell and Arctictree's but will post photos later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

AA roadwatch site has good indication of areas that are affected by snow currently

*Motorists are advised to drive with extreme care as heavy snowfall through out the country has led to very dangerous driving conditions in the following areas: *M7/LAOIS/KIlDARE* Driving conditions on the M7 between Portlaoise and Newbridge are extremely dangerous due to a heavy snow fall. *MEATH* Continue to drive with care between Longwood Village and the turnoff for Clonard where conditions are still very wet.

*MONAGHAN* Heavy snowfall has lead to extremely dangerous driving conditions. The Cootehill/Stranooden Rd (R188) is now just passable with extreme care. Continue to drive with care. *M4/KILDARE/MEATH* Conditions have improved on the M4 which has been gritted between J8 Kilcock and J9 Enfield following recent snow fall. Continue to drive with caution. *CAVAN* Heavy snow fall has added to treacherous driving conditions throughout the county. Gardai are urging motorists to avoid the roads around Bailieborough. * The Cross Keys to Cavan Rd which travels through Blackbull and Pullakeel is closed following a collision. Diversions are in place. Drive with extreme care. *LOUTH* Motorists are advised to drive slowly on the N1 north of Drogheda where snow fall has lead to dangerous conditions and also between Dundalk and Castleblaney. *WICKLOW* The Sally Gap is completely blocked to traffic, as a bus is currently stuck slong the route. * Due to heavy snowfall, the Wicklow Gap is also impassable in both directions. *Gardai are reporting dangerous conditions on the N11 through Wicklow due to heavy sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    I hear thers been loads of snow falling all day so far in the Dunshaughlin area but cant confirm as im in Germany! defo no snow in germany today.

Yes it's true, i just got back from town. In Dublin large flakes were finally starting to fall as I was on the bus out but then it was rain all the way till Meath. Out here there is about half an inch on the ground. Apparently there was up to an inch an hour ago but heavy rain since then has melted it down. Many cars coming from the Navan direction on the N3 were covered in snow. It's only 1c according to the car thermometer. Light drizzle falling now, snow on surfaces very slowly disappearing.

Raining here now too, still, very happy with the scale of what happened to day, only thought I'd get half an hour or so of sleety stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    Raining here now too, still, very happy with the scale of what happened to day, only thought I'd get half an hour or so of sleety stuff.
    Still frozen in your gauge?
    Reporting 0.0mm so far?

Mothman wrote: »
    Still frozen in your gauge?
    Reporting 0.0mm so far?
    Should update shortly, have a "rainrate" or meltrate in reality of 3mm/hr
    At least rain now stopped so my precious snow isnt melting so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

I drove from Belfast to kilcock today terrible road condition blizzard like condition between Callan in co louth as far as Rathoath in Co Meath there was a couple of centimetres around Callan and Slane region. Their was still a nice covering of snow when i finally reached Kilcock despite the rain that fell! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Took these pics(camera phone) on the outskirts of Roundwood today. was very suprised to see so much considering the forecast.
    DSC00164.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

• Advertisement

Just started this thread as i feel that the Met.ie forecast is totally inadequate( for tomorrow) as it doesn't even mention sleet or snow at all:

While the situation is quite marginal there is a very good chance of 3-4 hours of heavy snow tomorrow across middle and north leinster and much of eastern and central ulster.

The snow will be temporary and should have cleared by evening as somewhat less cold weather moves in from the atlantic.

Looking at tomorrow:

A slack area of low pressure will move south from Iceland developing quite rapidly as it does so, a band of intensifying precip will reach the west coast by early AM and spread east during the morning.

Heavy snow will start to fall in Ulster and the midlands by around 10am and will spread east, some accumalations of upto 5cm's are possible, obviously the higher ground the greater the risk.

The snow should turn sleety and turn to rain towards the evening as it clears.

However there is a risk of an exceptional October snowfall tomorrow for many in the midlands, north and east.

Here's how the MetOffice sum up tomorrows marginal snowfall for tomorrow. Going to be touch and go but snow will fall and could cause travel disruption.

Well done Weathercheck! Any chance of some more tonight?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well i don't think i should be congratulated! I just spotted the error in the Met Eireann forecast.

What i would say is that some colder upper air will feed in again from the northeast, around -5c 850hpa towards morning and there could be some heavy hail showers from the Irish sea through the morning and tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Erm I ALSO RUBBISHED their forecast last night:D
    I suppose in reality what happened was a bit of both where the beeb ramped it up and Gerry Murphy, as usual, couldn't bring himself to mention the "S" word
    Yes the cold air will feed down across the country again tonight so a decent chance of something tomorrow morning. That looks like being it then for a while

Roads a slushy mess here right now, would NOT like to driving round here after dark, suspect it will turn into an utter ice rink
    Hopefuly some more showers tomorrow to top up whats left .

Sun has come out here and temp dropped back to 1.8c

Snow looks well in the sun now:

sunsnow004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

All the snow here has turned to depressing, grim slush... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Well its been disappointing here today:mad:. I was expecting alot more, had nothing but rain. Im surprised the amount of snow some of you got today lucky you. Nice pictures btw.

Met Eireann were caught on the hop.
    Anyone driving along the M1 or inland in monaghan on low ground would not have expected what they got today going on last nights forecast.

They certainly wouldn't have expected it in roundwood or annamoe or Bally fad [just up the road from me] none of those places are north leinster and certainly arent Ulster and frankly Dunshaughlin isn't high ground either.

Only people reading this thread last night would have had an inkling what to expect.

If you were a wicklow hill sheep farmer you wouldnt be too happy with Gerry Murphy,thats for sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is curious because Met E were mentioning snow for today in every text forecast on website except for the one yesterday evening. They had it back on this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Met Eireann were caught on the hop.
    Anyone driving along the M1 or inland in monaghan on low ground would not have expected what they got today going on last nights forecast.

They certainly wouldn't have expected it in roundwood or annamoe or Bally fad [just up the road from me] none of those places are north leinster and certainly arent Ulster and frankly Dunshaughlin isn't high ground either.

Only people reading this thread last night would have had an inkling what to expect.

If you were a wicklow hill sheep farmer you wouldnt be too happy with Gerry Murphy,thats for sure...

Ckecked Tue nights fcast ,dull and damp.......sleet on high ground for a short time.......might have been close to conditions in the S and W , but well off the mark for the N and E of our country , another c**k up for Met Eireann.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement